Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I've now listened to every episode and haven't found one to be unlistenable due to obnoxious guests or audio problems. It is a bit baffling how they manage to gently caress up the most basic of automated processes in their audio from time to time after so many episodes, but I've always been able to hear almost everything said without additional effort, and there hasn't been a guest yet to detract from an episode (though a few have added very little). A lot of other shows suffer from these issues much more severely than The Dollop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Luke is kind of a wash because he was annoying buy he ended up being pretty funny and got a few good laughs.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I've recently been doing research on Dollop-esque topics (okay, serial killers, the one thing they've said they'd never do, but similar enough that they've been asked) for the purposes of recording well-paced and informative audio segments and I can confirm, it's a lot of time consuming work just finding your sources and choosing the right words to make everything pithy while conveying what you want to your audience. The drat Interesting guy has very obviously done a huge amount of work on his articles and to just have some chucklefucks profit off of chatting over it without a word of attribution is reprehensible to me. I love The Dollop, marathoned the whole show in about a week not long ago and listen to every episode as soon as it drops, but it's been in the back of my mind for a long time how much effort should be required for Dave's side of the podcast, how clearly Dave hasn't been the one doing that work since he never makes a big deal out of it, and how he almost never speaks a word about who actually is responsible for it, which has had me worried this would happen for a while. It's real unfortunate, and I don't think there even is a good way to make it right, not that they're even trying, but I am gonna keep listening to the show against Dave's childish wishes. I'm just going to feel dirty about it.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

fun hater posted:

i had to drop mfm when they both refused openly to research anything beyond reading a wikipedia page over the air or half remembering things they may have heard once and they spend 20+ mins at the start of every episode vamping and talking about their lives. it was very irritating to me

I think MFM's pretty good, but I do agree with these points. They now openly acknowledge "skippers" who fast forward past their lengthy introductions to each episode (I was one myself for a while, but I've been able to tolerate them lately), and I've been really annoyed the couple of times they just made up facts about their stories because that's a loving insane thing to do and completely invalidates their discussion of that topic, but that's pretty uncommon and they've been doing better research to minimize their now-regular corrections segment. I think they've just about worked out the biggest kinks and are hitting their stride, and their Dollop crossovers have been excellent so far, I'd be thrilled if those occurred with regularity.

I'd say listen to MFM's recent Podfest episode, Dave's a guest and all three stories are interesting and well-told, then follow the show from there if you like it since going through the archives is really hit-or-miss.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

rotinaj posted:

I'm not sure what he'll title it, but it was about the 1919 Police Strike.

Huh, same year as the Molasses Flood even. I guess that's more of a Smollop, though, unless it weaves into this story somehow (the podcast just went up so I guess I'll find out soon).

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I've heard this story before, starting with the crime and following the people trying to find a solution, but I can't remember where. The stories that are so dumb that Gareth's jokes all end up actually happening are great.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I can't stop imagining Dave losing his mind at someone pleasantly offering some free assistance to objectively improve his lucrative podcast. I'm afraid we're stuck with poor audio thanks to the many people who overreacted when it wasn't as bad or as easily fixed.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I couldn't help but remark that it always sucks when cis straight people tell LGBT stories, particularly for the purpose of comedy. Lots of overdone gay jokes too, Gareth jumped right into a "The oppressors are actually gay themselves!" bit that was dead on arrival and spent the rest of the show remarking on how tough the crowd was, but they got good reactions to the story, the jokes were just lame and full of bad messages. A real waste of good research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
That's part of the problem, you want to enjoy this fun story of this guy's ridiculous life, but any time you start to you remember he's a rapist and his antics become disgusting. Even the hosts had to keep reminding themselves of that fact and lamenting it. It's probably why Dave doesn't usually cover rapists, telling a story about one inherently glorifies most of their life, so he's really only talked about ones so despicable that they lack even a moment where you'd be on their side.