Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Ten Cent Beer Night was so goddamn amazing that I decided to write a class final on the story itself. Patton Oswalt deserves a medal, because he has introduced me now to two great Dave Anthony podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Dave's reactions don't surprise me. It would be nice if he could even just loving paraphrase the text.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Did Dave never turn in a college essay or something?

I can't say he hasn't, but based on some of his remarks about his younger days he's made, probably not. It would explain why he's reacting with this defensive stance. It's a little uncomfortable knowing a comedian and writer of all people couldn't be bothered to rephrase the content. I understand he's a busy man with a family and I'm not, but there's literally enough time in each day to take the text for one of these episodes and go over it once or twice.

I'm not even sure I personally care enough to not listen anymore or anything like that. Can't say I've heard about DI before so I don't have any urge to side with DI, but it really is uncomfortable to read Dave's responses. He absolutely doesn't care, it seems. I imagine in a hypothetical situation if he was more famous, this would be some sort of Shia-LeBouf-esque gently caress up that would earn him a few years of hate. Although I think LeBouf totally copped to what he did.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Maduo posted:

The way that post sounded, I don't think anything would be enough for damninteresting at this point. It's just enough to acknowledge that Dave is not writing these things and that the content of the show is really him and Gareth's banter and reactions. That seems to be enough to placate a lot of people here, and I assume a majority of fans.

Whether that's enough for places like damninteresting that carry stories like this is a crazy gray area that a lot of internet content is skidding into, but Dave has to at least make an effort to be in that gray area.

Or the person/people behind DI should put on the site that they're the unpaid staff writer(s) for The Dollop podcast.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Dave's also absolutely wrong to say "There are only so many ways to say..."

Isn't he a writer for Maron? Doesn't he write jokes, even if not literally writing them down but putting the phrasing together in his head? He might have avoided all this from the start if it wasn't for the fact that it was the same exact text.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

rotinaj posted:

The Boston episode last night was really great, and Gareth went off on an extended tangent riff that went so long and so hard, he got a third Gary chant from us over it. Dude was on point last night. And I got a very pleasant hug from him when I bought a poster.

I'm still mad at myself for not getting tickets soon enough. The running joke about the guy with all the silk shorts he stole was hilarious. Great episode, and I think it was a sign of Gareth sort of refining himself over time. He's always been funny on the podcast but recently it's like he knows where to go from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

oh dope posted:

The Dollop, to me, doesn't feel as light hearted as it once did. I don't begrudge Dave using his popular podcast as a platform for his politics, (the vast majority I agree with), but I miss the episodes that were about just bizarre, obscure things. Kentucky Meat Shower level stuff.

On one hand, the podcast has shed light on a lot of things for me. Like i already know that poo poo is bad, but now I know why. On the other hand, I just wanna hear Garreth react to stories about weird people and events.

I wonder if the crazier stories from American history are starting to run thin, but as I write that it seems so absurd that we could run out of documented stupidity in America. Hopefully there's more Australian stuff lined up because those are almost always batshit insane.

Ten Cent Beer Night and stuff like that are absolutely amazing, but personally I don't mind Dave leaning into the straight-up political stuff. His anger is straight up cathartic for me, and that includes the non-political stuff like minor moments when he's telling people to go gently caress off for correcting his pronunciation.