Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I started listening a couple of months ago and as much as I love the crazy turns, my favorite moment is the reveal in the last few minutes of the Carry A Nation episode. It's like the final scene in a time travel movie that tips you off to something much earlier, and now you need to re-watch the movie to see all of the signs that led to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
After listening to the new-ish ep about the Broderick Terry Duel, I really don't get Dave. Most standup comics watch a shitload of TV and movies, and being in Hollywood you would think that at some point in his goddamn life Dave would have seen or heard the term "carotid artery" in regards to someone getting shot or stabbed in the neck, but somehow even with his broken spellcheck (from pasting damninteresting.com text out of Safari and into Pages on his iPad) hint of "c____ artery" he can't quite figure out the word.

I would loooooove to see a weekly video podcast where Dave struggles with a crossword puzzle while Patton Oswalt just verbally shits all over him.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Australia has a huge boner for marginally funny american comedians (read: dave anthony and eddie ifft), so in the Dollop's case going to Australia means easy seat-filling

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
the jetpack story was amazing because the one guy who could truly build one died super early and the knowledge was lost

its like if heisenburg died of cancer mid season and then we follow Tuco as he tries to re-engineer the formula with partial input from jesse and partnering up with gus for financial backing

no i didnt spoil the podcast i promise

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Sometimes I'll randomly think back to Fargo season 1 and how it was pretty funny that "lying" was treated like a superpower that lets you get everything you want in life and luckily nothing like that is possible in the real world!

-and then I'll listen to the Enron episode and remember that poorly constructed lies actually work most of the time, especially if you get really aggressive with people while using them.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Christ, that North Pole story. The closest thing to a happy ending for anyone was "well, one guy had his reputation and his achievements destroyed and served 10 years in jail because of that false reputation, but at least he spent his final years in exile as an extremely rich man"

but i do love these episodes where Gareth gets almost too furious to think and finally just goes off on a rant at the end so they can't go sign cars

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Bert Kreischer is one of those guys that is kind of a bad storyteller, but has such a trainwreck of a life that all of his stories are amazing

like he could be one of the Jackass guys, just making GBS threads himself in public and getting weird tattoos constantly

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

i liked the story where bert is treading water in a lake having a conversation with the homeowner up on the shore, when suddenly he needs to take a poo poo so he just starts making GBS threads in the water while talking to the guy. Other guy is like 'did you seriously just take a poo poo on my property while making eye contact with me?" and rages out

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I wish more biographies included the statement "And so naturally at this point in his life, he joined the Ku Klux Klan."

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I enjoy that Dave doesn't make a two word phrase and then immediately shoehorn it into a conflated word that isn't very funny multiple times per episode

It's a little tiring

Litiring

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
IT'S....loving KELLOGG?!?!?!?!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
im the women swooning over how romantic it is for a man to take a sip of wine and force it into a dead person's mouth while kissing her

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
its really impressive that someone can be a loud idiot bully at 5 years old and remain a loud idiot bully for the next 66 years of their life, sustaining themselves by borrowing money and not paying it back, hiring services and not paying, and occasionally receiving lots of free money from dad

i feel like ive been living my life completely wrong

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

The Modern Leper posted:

I guess it’s like listening to a bad movie podcast and thinking you’ve seen the film, but it’s definitely closer to a drunk history “I read the Wikipedia page, and kinda remember it like this,” versus a jokey commentary on the actual facts.

The part that gets rough for me is Dave not actually understanding anything he has in his script leading to situations where:
-Dave reads a passage and some phrase comes up that I don't understand, Dave doesn't understand, and Gareth doesn't understand
-Gareth asks Dave what he means
-Dave repeats his sentence, shuffling the exact same words around each time Gareth prompts him
-Gareth eventually gives up and pretends that he now understands, making a quip that is probably wrong
-Dave moves on to the next passage

If I'm not at a computer to look it up myself, then I have to just give up and wonder why Dave left in a passage that he couldn't understand or explain - it gets super close to "I stole someone else's book report for my presentation and hope the teacher doesn't notice" territory.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I could be wrong but I think they made the revelation about hats during the episode where a new bridge was built and everyone wanted to go walk on it, and in news articles about the crowded claustrophobic panic the kept drawing attention to how people were losing their hats in the chaos - it was given about as much significance as losing track of your family on the bridge.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i listen to the podcast in spite of Dave but secretly hoped he would shut the whole thing down when he got butthurt over the content-stealing accusations

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
no i said in my post that i hoped he would rage out and stop the podcast completely and maybe tell Dollop fans to blame drat Interesting because it would be a hilarious overreaction, though actually i expected his response to be 'ignore it'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i like the live episodes because the huge difference in sound quality makes it really easy to skip the ad reads