Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I have been posting about the Dollop since it came out, but didn't realize it had its own thread now. Whoops. Anyway the Rube and Ten Cent Beer Night are my two favorites, but I also liked the recent "reverse Dollop" where Gary told Dave about North Korea's film industry. What a great podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

One of the rare instances where I know the topic before they get into it, but yeah it's a great story, perfect for a "Smallop"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Some audio glitches in the last few episodes, right? Or am I insane? I'm hearing popping and sounds like someone is touching the mic.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Episode about sports fans in Philly was a loving riot

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jet Jaguar posted:

Still catching up on surgically implanting goat organs as medicine. I remember a friend of mine had a book on the guy, I need to ask her what the title was.

There's this one and this one. I don't think there are others... I was thinking about reading one of them but I don't know if it would be as good without Gary screaming WHAT??? every few pages.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I skip episodes with bad guests or with audio problems because it annoys me too much, but I love this podcast.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I love the Dollop but if you're gonna straight up read an article someone else wrote (and get like $2k a month for it through Patreon) you could at least have the courtesy to be like "thanks for this episode go to [whatever site he's reading off of]"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

it would be an incredibly small amount of effort on Dave and Gary's part to at least say "this episode's content comes from DamnInteresting.com, Wikipedia, and whatever" but the fact that Dave is getting his back up and blocking people on twitter and whatever is not surprising. Also though, he has had to deal with some real goofs, I saw a tweet from some guy telling Dave that he should be hung in the middle of town as an example of what happens to plagiarists which is bonkers

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

wafflesnsegways posted:

Dave says it's obvious he's reading articles, but he never actually made that clear on the show.

Doesn't the intro of the show say something like "Welcome to the Dollop, I'm your host Dave Anthony, each week I read a story from American history to Gareth Reynolds who has no idea what the topic is about" or something like that?

Regardless they still shouldn't do it without sources and I'm glad they're going to post that on their site at least

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

basically Dave sucks but the Dollop doesn't

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Well, the Ferguson episode for one.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

If you like weird old medical history, there is a podcast called Sawbones where a doctor and her husband talk about weird medical history. It covers some of the same topics as the Dollop but there isn't too much overlap.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I loved this latest one when Dave just jumps over to "John Wilkes Booth" and Gary and Patton are both like "Wait, WHAT?"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think you mean Cave Dick and the Psycho.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Stop Podcasting Yourself and The Dollop are pretty much my two favorite podcasts behind The Best Show but I'm a half hour into the live Dollop and I don't know how great of a match it is. Still, glad to see Dave and Gary came to Canada... now they just need to come to Toronto.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I made fun of this vaping MRA dude on Twitter once and then found out he runs some big MRA website and I got like 500 @s in two days. I don't blame Dave for not wanting to deal with it but yeah it's sort of part and parcel, if you're gonna make fun of idiots with big fanbases it's not surprising if they come after you

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

no it was the guy who runs(? or does their social media or something?) ncfm.org which is a pretty hilarious looking site tbh

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

episodes like the Rizzo one are my favorites because the stories are just amazing and I know few of them since I don't live in the US

That audio clip they played at the end was tremendous

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The latest episode was crazy for the first 20 minutes and then INSANE for the final 10. What the hell. Great short episode.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah it's the pendragon

AriadneThread posted:

i can't believe everyone lived

yeah same. that was one of the most insane Dollops ever. I like when they do semi-recent stuff (like 80s-present)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This episode owned and imho it is the best live Dollop

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Love stories about lunatics who get a bunch of money so today's ep was solid

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Dominos ep is my new favorite reverse Dollop. Has the classic Dollop thing of "OHHH, so THAT'S the crazy twist" and then five minutes later "OHHHH ANOTHER ONE"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mr Hootington posted:

It was taken down from Itunes and put back up.

the original one had some weird popping and other audio issues so I'm guessing that's why

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've only listened to two episodes of MFM (early ones) but my main issue with it was that it wasn't really a true crime podcast (there were a lot of instances of them being like, "I think uhhhh, I think then this happened? Or something?") and it wasn't really a comedy podcast. It was 2 people who are funny, doing their best to remember true crime stories. Do they get more prepared in later episodes?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

fun hater posted:

i had to drop mfm when they both refused openly to research anything beyond reading a wikipedia page over the air or half remembering things they may have heard once and they spend 20+ mins at the start of every episode vamping and talking about their lives. it was very irritating to me

100% the same for me, I tried old episodes and new ones and random ones and every single time they were just like, "Oh yeah, isn't he the guy who ______? Or maybe not. Uhh I don't know. Anyway it was for sure super creepy!"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

ohrwurm posted:

The only podcast ads I listen to are the ones on MBMBaM since they are usually still "on" as they read interpret the copy

Hollywood Handbook also does good ads

this Black Panther Fred Hampton episode is bonkers and infuriating

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Dave has always come across as a "leave me alone I will deal with it myself" kind of guy. Latest episode was fantastic.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Enron and jet pack episodes were good. Dollop has been on a roll the last few weeks

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LentThem posted:

I enjoy that Dave doesn't make a two word phrase and then immediately shoehorn it into a conflated word that isn't very funny multiple times per episode

It's a little tiring

Litiring

I also find that stupid and annoying. Stupinnoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This episode is unreal. So good.