Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Like Outrun 2 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mach2 posted:

Also Need for Speed Underground.

Wormskull posted:

I'm partial to Forza
I'm afraid I must ask you to keep this sort of heresy out of Good Car Game Chat. :(

Wormskull posted:

and Euro Truck Simulator 2, OP.
This can stay, though. :)

So, why haven't you guys played Nitronic Rush yet?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mach2 posted:

I have and it is good. Also F-Zero GX
I wonder if there's a way to play F-Zero GX online. I bet that would be really fun, playing some F-Zero GX with your buddies.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sorry, this is the Good Car Game thread.

Discount Viscount posted:

Outrun 2006 Coast2Coast

OutRun is coming to 3DS :hellyeah:
Oh, bitchin'. Racing on the 3DS would be hella cool, I'm surprised there haven't been, well, any racing games made for it.

edit: burnout paradise is 5 bucks get it now

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 27, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

all of codemasters racing games until grid 2
I keep wondering why Grid 2 gets flack here, when it's a terrific reimagining of Sega Super GT. Especially when up until then, Codemasters had been making decidedly :geno: games.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

in dirt 2 you can have people call you "fuzzy nuts" making it the best car game also the driving is good
It also has :gonk: as an audible nickname, which is nice. Though to be honest, I could take or leave Dirt 2.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

my morning jackass posted:

dirt is poo poo, just play rallisport challenge or it's even better sequel
lets see, just google this here hrm hrm...xbox 1 exclusive...hrm hrm hrm...has hillclimb cars...

DICE MADE A RACING GAME!? :pwn:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Are there even any good Initial D games out outside of Japan?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

the correct answer to this thread
Stunts owns and I'm glad Trackmania is keeping its legacy alive. :)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

psyman posted:

Rollcage
Rollcage Stage II
Powerslide
Carmageddon 1/2
Star Wars Pod Racer (PC version)
Star Wars Racer Revenge (PS2 exclusive sequel)
MegaRace 1/2
Wipeout series
Extreme-G III
P.O.D

Screw Forza and Gran Turismo. Why can't there be a futuristic simulation racer for once?. Why do people like driving the same modern day cars around the same old tracks, year after year?
Same reason pop music stays the same, familiarity breeds contentment. :smith:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Forza and GT are fairly epic actually.

Robo Reagan posted:

Sorry, but both of them suck because neither of them is Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

obstipator posted:

super mario 64,OP
backwards crouch jumps are legit

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Fellis posted:

when I was a kid I had this sweet setup with a n64 and a small TV. the only problem was sharing the backseat with our labrador and he always screenwatched on goldeneye
TAINT REAPED AGAIN

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Road Trip

Explore the world and you can become the Car President.

Those are the cars talking. They speak by flashing their highbeams.
I want to become the President of Cars.:stare:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I gave Dirt 2 a second chance.

How well you take a turn is almost entirely dependant on how you approach it. If you don't go in at the exact right speed at the exact right angle the game wants you to, you can lose about a second getting your traction back. I think Sega Rally Revo did it better in that the approach is important, but reacting and adjusting your drift angle is also essential to surviving a turn. Also, hitting other cars in Sega Rally Revo sometimes helps you get through turns while it usually ruins your line if you try riding somebody's side panel in Dirt 2. Well, that's my Dirt 2 story. I don't think it's a bad game though, it's just not for me.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Das Butterbrot posted:

"realistic" physics
:(

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Perkele. :stare:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Daytona USA on the Saturn owned and had the best music, I pretty much always played as the horse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmGIqk3nzz8
How does it feel to play it with a 360 controller? I keep hearing Daytona has really sensitive steering and that it can't really be played except on a wheel.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Seshoho Cian posted:

Take me down, to the paradise city
Where the grass is green, and the girls are pretty
Oh, won't you taaaaake meeeeee hoooooome
yeah, yeah

Actually, who's up for playing some Paradise online? Matchmaking is still on, I think.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Extra posted:

You are entitled to your opinion but dirt is trash compared to Richard Burns rally with the RSRBR 2014 mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ndks_1eIOo
That's the one where every combustion within the car engine is modeled independently, just for added simulated precision, right? That video does a good job scaring me in just the right way, is there a way to get RBR legally?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Extra posted:

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/richard-burns-rally--2693-1

Prepare yourself though it's an extremely unforgiving game but that's why it's so rewarding to play because none of the difficulty is artificial it's just a test of managing driving physics on gravel in a way no other game has replicated as well to date. There may be a smorgasbord of road racing sims out there but they're small beans compared to the poo poo that went into this rally sim.

Don't skip the driving school lessons at the beginning unless you're already familiar with how to drive a rally car and I mean not in video games.
...aaaaand bought, just wish I could get a G27 for that cheap.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

metricchip posted:

I'm looking forward to Drift Stage to scratch that very specific Outrun style itch. I get the feeling that it's never going to come out though.
They're taking their time. They did say they'll be going on Kickstarter, but they want the game to look more presentable when they do. I get the feeling they don't really want to rush into things, especially when the "I miss the time when racing games weren't all Forza" crowd is focusing pretty hard on Distance right now.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh riiiiiight. I added you. Alright, this Friday, round 8 PM your time. What's that in GMT?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

In Good Car Game News, Distance has a Steam page

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

zen death robot posted:

The Crew is getting good first impressions now that it's out. 60 fps, lots of online, open world racing. Could be epic!
Perhaps even, for the win.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Richard Burns Rally trip report: I passed Rally School and Richard Burns himself let me have a can of Red Bull with him.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I hope that someday, The Crew will be good.

Maybe someday...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

zen death robot posted:

So is the complaint that it's an "arcade" racer and not a "sim" racer?
The complaint is that it's neither. The handling is unrealistic in ways that aren't fun, as opposed to Burnout games, where the handling is unrealistic in ways that ARE fun. Cars aren't supposed to feel this heavy, drifts aren't supposed to be this hard to get out of.

Let me put it this way: I had an easier time getting the car where I wanted it to be in Richard Burns Rally - a hardcore sim - than in The Crew. That's hosed up. That's making a game feel more simmy than a sim and I don't like it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I got in late but I been playing some TrackMania 2 lately, and it's a pretty good one OP.
Valley rules, Canyon drools.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

88h88 posted:

I picked up a copy of Richard Burns rally on thread recommendation. Also Moto Racer because I enjoyed playing that as a kid, wasn't much to it but it was fun.

Anyone got any love for Big Red Racing? Another racer I played as a child and adored. I think it was one of the first PCCD games we had.

Oh, I got ALL the love for Big Red Racing. I've yet to play a more varied racing game, and the best part is, most vehicles felt really fun to drive! :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm still waiting for a Good Car Game where you do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_9xBDx7nX8

Seriously, devs, get on that.

• Locked thread