Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
One series that's surprisingly solid is Shutokou Battle otherwise known as Tokyo Highway Battle/Tokyo Xtreme Racer/Tokyo Highway Challenge/Import Tuner Challenge.

Same goes for the ATLUS Touge series. Much like Japanese gundam games not understanding japanese isn't much of an issue.

Great Joe posted:

Are there even any good Initial D games out outside of Japan?

You can easily figure out the menus if you play them via Demul, etc. Extreme Stage for the PS3 also has no region protection.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wormskull posted:

The Dirt series is fairly win OP.

You are entitled to your opinion but dirt is trash compared to Richard Burns rally with the RSRBR 2014 mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ndks_1eIOo

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 1, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Great Joe posted:

That's the one where every combustion within the car engine is modeled independently, just for added simulated precision, right? That video does a good job scaring me in just the right way, is there a way to get RBR legally?

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/richard-burns-rally--2693-1

Prepare yourself though it's an extremely unforgiving game but that's why it's so rewarding to play because none of the difficulty is artificial it's just a test of managing driving physics on gravel in a way no other game has replicated as well to date. There may be a smorgasbord of road racing sims out there but they're small beans compared to the poo poo that went into this rally sim.

Don't skip the driving school lessons at the beginning unless you're already familiar with how to drive a rally car and I mean not in video games.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 1, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If you do not care how the cars handle, play racing games with your keyboard, and your experience with cars consists of public transport or driving an automatic commuting to and from work/school then the crew may be right up your alley.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 3, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's not blatantly arcadey enough to be fun in the way say Wipeout, SCUD race, Initial D, and Ridge Racer are.
It doesn't have enough sim-style components to be fun in the way sim/arcade fusions like Dirt, Grid, Forza, Sega GT, Project Gotham, and Gran Turismo are.

Wormskull posted:

Very epic condescension over extremely innocuous poo poo going on in this post. Well done goon.

There's nothing wrong with people who do that, I'm just saying the game was not made for people who enjoy certain aspects of the driving experience. It's apples and oranges. In fact it's probably a good business decision to make the game far more accessible for keyboard and/or gamepad users. Most average joe people who have a passing interest in cars will probably enjoy the crew.

zen death robot posted:

You'll find most people, including myself, mostly drive automatics to and from work and poo poo like that. Sorry.

There's no need to apologize for the reality of the situation. There's something about the handling that feels off compared to Forza and Gran Turismo that the majority of people won't even care about.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
City/traffic driving with a manual transmission blows chunks for sure. Also if you live in a place that has no twisting/back roads at all. Compared to that poo poo The Crew is the most fun thing ever invented.

• Locked thread