Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Right next door, Chile is having a time.

https://apnews.com/article/chile-new-constitution-referendum-f7be231ff564856f6a5e1b0c0ac12c57
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/17/chile-draft-constitution-vote-negative-impacts
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-67715543
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/17/world/americas/chile-constitution-referendum-vote.html

If you remember a while back, Chile voted to get a new constitution since the current one was written by Pinochet. Only, the first, very progressive proposal, failed to be voted in. Now there's a second proposal written by conservatives up for a vote, and it's way in the other directions. Most notably, it promises to protect unborn life, so that could lead to banning abortions. There's also a lot of stuff about protecting private property, cutting down the the number of legislative representatives, protecting homeschooling, and declaring rodeo to become the national pasttime.

But initial polls seem to also be towards voters rejecting this constitution as well, so maybe they'll just end up going back to 40 more years of Pinochet constitution.

They rejected it by 15 points. Chilean politics is going to be like British prime ministers but with constitutions now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I guess neither side is interested in a compromise constitution that voters might actually accept.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

mobby_6kl posted:

OK that's more like it

Lmao, that's an awfully wrong interpretation of the content, don't look at my avatar, i'm objective...

Strikes aren't mentioned at all in the content.

This is specifically about protests that block streets. People would still be allowed to manifest in the sidewalks. Whether that's fair or not it's up to debate.

And in order to make in enforceable people found blocking streets will no longer be eligible for government welfare.

According to many most of the people in this type of protest don't even know why they are there, there are many interviews where this is put in evidence. They are threatened by the people that manage access to the welfare programs, "go or you will no longer get this money". The government established a hotline to denounce this type of extorsion and was getting hundreds of calls.

This is what the "My Argentina" app, used for bureaucratic stuff, looked like for people that receive government assistance. It reminded them that if you cut the streets you are cut off the money.

Again, take all the above with a grain of salt, I'm just sharing the right wing view. But the original post was full of bad translations and bad faith interpretations completely removed from the intent.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I would honestly be more surprised if Milei didn't have an SA account.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

He absolutely got banned 2-3 LF purges ago.

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
Milei has just issued a decree with 30 points. Among them, it repeals laws that regulate the prices of private health care, frees the purchase of land for foreigners, allows the privatization of state companies, repeals the law that protects against the indiscriminate burning of forests, eliminates control over rental prices. and basic foods, modifies labor laws and compensation. In my neighborhood at least people are starting to protest.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Not eager to see how quickly europeans buy the entire patagonia tbh

Ley de alquileres repeal is gonna hurt some, but from what i gather it was mostly ignored. Talking with friends that are renting in caba. If you brought it ip it was a “lol”.

Didn’t read all the rest, but we really don’t need MORE guns on the street.

Not sire how well known the ley de gondolas is but Coke, AB InBev and all big cpgs will celebrate tonight

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr. Nemo posted:

According to many most of the people in this type of protest don't even know why they are there, there are many interviews where this is put in evidence. They are threatened by the people that manage access to the welfare programs, "go or you will no longer get this money". The government established a hotline to denounce this type of extorsion and was getting hundreds of calls.

That’s about the same bullshit the right says here in Brazil too and everywhere to delegitimize left wing protests so I’m taking it with a whole kg of salt

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

OK that's more like it

Wrt Argentina's gov system, is this Conan's brainchild? Or does he only handle the economic side of things and rest of the ruling litterati determine social policy?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't heard much about the Guyana situation, now it seems the UK is going to send a warship there: https://news.sky.com/story/uk-sends-warship-to-south-america-amid-guyana-tensions-with-venezuela-13037291

I don't think it's going to actually do anything other than the implication but that's a good idea. We should've done it with Ukraine.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 25, 2023

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Current state of AMLO's pet project airline: https://x.com/mexicanavuela_/status/1739701094815617325?s=46

(It had to divert and call firefighters)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

and y'all haters said they didn't even have planes

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

i fly airplanes posted:

Current state of AMLO's pet project airline: https://x.com/mexicanavuela_/status/1739701094815617325?s=46

(It had to divert and call firefighters)

Not to avoid making GBS threads on AMLO, who is a stupid bastard, but... where did you get "firefighters" from and what is there to suggest this is anything other than a completely ordinary weather-related diversion?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PT6A posted:

Not to avoid making GBS threads on AMLO, who is a stupid bastard, but... where did you get "firefighters" from and what is there to suggest this is anything other than a completely ordinary weather-related diversion?

he's saying the flight logs are doctored to hide an accident. the tweet below is saying the flight conditions weren't that bad so it's time to :tinfoil:

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

PT6A posted:

In the reply comments, there's photos.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

i fly airplanes posted:

In the reply comments, there's photos.

At most, a fuel leak? My Spanish is a bit rusty, but it seems like there's some rather unhinged conspiracies going on in those replies. Like "it's ex-military, the plane isn't used to commercial operations" which is crazy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

An article with a bit more detail [in ingles] about the accident. They brought in firefighters to help deal with the leak because flammable and all.
https://viewfromthewing.com/rocky-relaunch-mexican-government-airlines-inaugural-flight-diverts-amidst-fuel-leak-and-fog/

The revival of the Mexicana airline to be run by the army has been fairly controversial otherwise, and this seems like yet another ill omen on the venture.
https://apnews.com/article/mexico-army-airline-mexicana-79e5113bdeecd083d9376ebf34155165

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

mobby_6kl posted:

Haven't heard much about the Guyana situation, now it seems the UK is going to send a warship there

I don't think it's going to actually do anything other than the implication but that's a good idea

you say that now but it'll turn out they sent a cruise liner. basically a declaration of war against their whole navy

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

lol, Milei wants to force judges to wear robes

Among many other good laws presented to congress in the “omnibus” plan.

Also some bad plans.

But the one forcing all government media to replace “free” with “paid by taxpayers” is very good and funny.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah its just has hilarious as his haircut

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

It makes his head perfectly round

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Negostrike posted:

It makes his head perfectly round

Libertarian economics: "Assuming a completely frictionless Milei .."

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
Today the fuel went up for the third time since Milei's mandate began. They are also raising taxes on independent workers.

gently caress this poo poo goverment

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
but hey netflix didnt raise price :))))))))))))))

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dek posted:

Today the fuel went up for the third time since Milei's mandate began. They are also raising taxes on independent workers.

gently caress this poo poo goverment

How much does it cost now? This page says $0.8/l which is :lol: probably shouldn't have been subsidizing fossil fuels

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Argentina/gasoline_prices/

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

mobby_6kl posted:

How much does it cost now? This page says $0.8/l which is :lol: probably shouldn't have been subsidizing fossil fuels

That's 1/3 the petrol price here in DK. Oof.

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

mobby_6kl posted:

If you take the price of the official dollar, it is approximately 1 usd/l. In the parallel dollar 1.20 usd/l but you also have to take into account how much the minimum wage is in Argentina: Approximately 160usd. A month ago with a minimum wage you bought 400L, now you buy less than half.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I watched a major news station suffer a terrorist attack live on tv while out for a late lunch today in Ecuador. This evening they found a bomb under a bridge I bussed over earlier this afternoon.

It seems likely the military crackdown will work but I’m getting out anyway.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What in the name of gently caress are you doing in a warzone

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Negostrike posted:

What in the name of gently caress are you doing in a warzone
Caro proved it's a good idea.

Also I assume it wasn't a warzone when OP went there. Scanning the article it seems poo poo started popping off on Monday.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Non zero chance he was born in Ecuador. Some people are.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Traveling. There was some unrest along the coast when I got here but the mountains were within normal levels of Latin America danger. Everything has popped off in the last few days, with yesterday being a major escalation.

That response does make me feel a bit better about fleeing, though, so thanks for that.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 10, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

mobby_6kl posted:

Caro proved it's a good idea

Only if you are a citizen of the USA

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

7c Nickel posted:

Non zero chance he was born in Ecuador. Some people are.

Really? I thought only this guy was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cQlVww0zKo

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Please stand for the Ecuadorian national anthem.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
escucha me

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Only if you are a citizen of the USA

Being a US citizen is actually loving terrrible in those circumstances because you’re a super high-value kidnapping/arrest for traffic violations target just so they have something to negotiate with the state department over

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Being a US citizen is actually loving terrrible in those circumstances because you’re a super high-value kidnapping/arrest for traffic violations target just so they have something to negotiate with the state department over

And than the USA will employ all its resources as the sole world superpower to rescue you. And whoever dares to touch a hair of your head will face tremendous and expensive consequences like being bombed to oblivion, and/or sanctioned to bankruptcy, because you are the most precious human beings in the world

And even a useless creep and war tourist like Caro will get that treatment

Come on, if I got myself in the same situation as him, I would be dead or still in the dungeon and theres jack poo poo my government could (or would) do to help me. He is free and now a millionaire with Syrian money

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 11, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Elias_Maluco posted:

And than the USA will employ all its resources as the sole world superpower to rescue you. And whoever dares to touch a hair of your head will face tremendous and expensive consequences like being bombed to oblivion, and/or sanctioned to bankruptcy, because you are the most precious human beings in the world

Well, not under all circumstances, like if there is a right wing populist president and you are :airquote: Political Activist :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Well, not under all circumstances, like if there is a right wing populist president and you are :airquote: Political Activist :airquote:

Or get catfished on tinder, no Seals to bust you out

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-67947333