Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SexyBlindfold posted:

My grasp on US politics has become looser and looser, but doesn't this mean that Jeb Bush (or any other republican candidate) would campaign on reverting this completely to appease the GOP-voting Cubans?

Its good politics if Jeb makes this an issue. Cuba will need to purchase 100,000 barrels of oil a day at market rates, soon enough; why not make that 100,000 barrels of American oil a day? Whats Bush gonna do, oppose the oil and gas industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
A few days ago the Bolivian foreign ministry said that there are talks to have a Morales-Obama meeting in order to reestablish relations (broken in 2008). I suppose that the developments in regards to Cuba will only solidify this. Venezuela would be the only outlier if Washington exchanges ambassadors with La Paz and Havana.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

A few days ago the Bolivian foreign ministry said that there are talks to have a Morales-Obama meeting in order to reestablish relations (broken in 2008). I suppose that the developments in regards to Cuba will only solidify this. Venezuela would be the only outlier if Washington exchanges ambassadors with La Paz and Havana.

Are you in Bolivia or following Bolivia? If so could you point me to some outlets where I can follow the push for soverign Bolivian access to the sea?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its good politics if Jeb makes this an issue. Cuba will need to purchase 100,000 barrels of oil a day at market rates, soon enough; why not make that 100,000 barrels of American oil a day? Whats Bush gonna do, oppose the oil and gas industry?

Doesn't Venezuela provide oil to Cuba at a massive discount? Or are you saying that they will have to stop doing this since their economy is crashing?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I dont know posted:

Doesn't Venezuela provide oil to Cuba at a massive discount? Or are you saying that they will have to stop doing this since their economy is crashing?
A combination of Venezuelan economic collapse and Cuba cooperating with 'El Imperio' could spell the end of subsidized Venezuelan oil. It's likely that Venezuela's economic woes were part of what pushed the Castro regime into the agreement.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I dont know posted:

Cuban elites have been under increasing pressure to not gently caress up the current detente process due to the imminent default of Venezuela and expectation of elimination of oil subsidization. What I'm wondering is, what will Cuba export that can raise enough foreign capital to purchase 100k/bpd at open-market rates? Unless Cuba has a refinery sector that I'm unaware of....

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
South America is probably my least understood region, but now I need to know stuff about Argentina. Where can I learn a little bit about the current situation there? Something quick to build a base I can work out from. Good documentaries, recent detailed articles, effort posts, that kind of thing.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

I feel this is a good start to understanding Argentina.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:confuoot:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Volkerball posted:

South America is probably my least understood region, but now I need to know stuff about Argentina. Where can I learn a little bit about the current situation there? Something quick to build a base I can work out from. Good documentaries, recent detailed articles, effort posts, that kind of thing.

"Argentina: a country of Italians who speak Spanish and think themselves British."

It's probably the only country that's gone from First World (it sent material and financial aid to Europe after WWII) to arguably Third World.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Gough Suppressant posted:

A Jewish werewolf would be very powerful as a cross would has no effect.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
At least they'll have the perfect Tracy Jordan song for his coming of age

youtube.com/watch?v=A6V2oCX3Hn4

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

drilldo squirt posted:

A Jewish werewolf would be very powerful as a cross would has no effect.

Regular werewolves are pretty powerful too, as crosses don't effect them either. It's just silver bullets and wolfsbane, and pretty much nobody carries around either of those habitually.

Jewish werewolves would in fact be weaker than regular werewolves, since human meat isn't kosher, so they'd be limited to claw/claw instead of the full claw/claw/bite/rend attack progression.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Jewish werewolves would in fact be weaker than regular werewolves, since human meat isn't kosher, so they'd be limited to claw/claw instead of the full claw/claw/bite/rend attack progression.

Halachically, it's unclear whether human meat is kosher or trayf. Authorities are split in the issue.

In regards to Argentina, there are lots of Jews (close to a quarter million) in BsAs. To listen to certain Peronistas, they are indeed werewolves.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Has anyone read Galeano in here? I've been reading my girlfriend's copy of Days and nights of love and war, it's a loving bombshell, I really should get on reading his work, any reccomendations? (except open veins of latin america, which is the next up on the list)

an excerpt:

Eduardo Galeano posted:

'Freedom' in my country is the name of a jail for political prisoners, and 'democracy' forms part of the title of various regimes of terror; the word 'love' defines the relationship of a man with his automobile, and 'revolution' is understood to describe what a new detergent can do in your kitchen; "glory" is something that a smooth soap produces in it's user, "happiness" is a sensation experienced while eating hot dogs. "A peaceful country" means, in many countries of Latin America, "a well kept cemetery"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I've only read open veins but man, what a book

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

bagual posted:

Has anyone read Galeano in here? I've been reading my girlfriend's copy of Days and nights of love and war, it's a loving bombshell, I really should get on reading his work, any reccomendations? (except open veins of latin america, which is the next up on the list)

an excerpt:

Open Veins of Latin America is outstanding. Interestingly, Galeano now claims that he wasn't qualified to write such a book at the time, that as a work it is too naive. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/24/books/eduardo-galeano-disavows-his-book-the-open-veins.html?referrer=&_r=0

TheIneff
Feb 7, 2006

BEEP BOOP BEEEEEP
That's an incredibly depressing way to poo poo all over the entirety of a legacy considering that that book is literally the only reason why people know he exists outside of Latin America.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bagual posted:

an excerpt:

If I wanted to get into Galeano, where would I start (I assume I would be force to read in English)?

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
My babby's first Galeano was Upside Down :shrug:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ardennes posted:

If I wanted to get into Galeano, where would I start (I assume I would be force to read in English)?

"Open Veins of Latin America." It's widely available in English. The buffoon Hugo Chávez famously gave President Obama a copy a few years back.

TheIneff posted:

That's an incredibly depressing way to poo poo all over the entirety of a legacy considering that that book is literally the only reason why people know he exists outside of Latin America.

Why is an author's evolving opinion depressing? It's far more depressing and frustrating to see an intellectual's thoughts and outlook calcify while still young.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TheIneff posted:

Soccer in Sun & Shadow is pretty famous. I read it when I was like 10 and had no idea yet why USA was apparently so bad.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Ras Het posted:

Soccer in Sun & Shadow is pretty famous. I read it when I was like 10 and had no idea yet why USA was apparently so bad.

I remember that! My uncle had it and it was probably one of the first books I ever read that didn't have pictures. Well, it had some pictures. Very tiny pictures.

Though the one Galeano thing that I remember most is his portrayal of the Disaster of Curalaba:

quote:

Rebellion erupts in the coasts of the Pacific and thunderbolts shake the mountains of the Andes.
Martín García Óñez de Loyola, nephew of Saint Ignatius, had come from Perú with fame of being a tireless hunter and efficient killer. There he had captured Túpac Amaru, the last of the incas. They made him Governor of Chile so that he could tame the Araucanians. Here, he slew indians, stole sheep and burned down crops without leaving a single grain. Now the Araucanians parade his head on top of a spear.
The indians call to battle by blowing bones of christians fashioned as trumpets. War masks, leather armor: the araucanian cavalry conquers the south. Seven settlements crumble to dust, one after another, under the rain of flaming arrows. The prey becomes hunter. The Araucanians lay siege to Imperial. To leave it dry, they change the course of the river.
Half of Chile, all the land south of the Bío-Bío, is once again Araucanian.
The indians say, pointing at the head on the spear: This is my master. This one doesn't make me dig up gold for him, or bring him herbs and firewood, or tend to his cattle, or sow or harvest his crops. This is the master I want to ride with.

:black101:

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
So apparently the whole Ríos Montt retrail in Guatemala has been temporarily suspended because the judge that was assigned to the case was deemed not to be impartial.

I just hope the fucker doesn't croak before they find him guilty all over again...
Because there's no way they'll find him innocent... Right guys?

:ohdear:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Open Veins was good but Galeano came as a cantankerous old man on Upside Down which made me roll my eyes a lot when reading it.

TheImmigrant posted:

"Argentina: a country of Italians who speak Spanish and think themselves British."

"Not white".

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Argentina (and Uruguay) are the most white-bread countries in the Western Hemisphere. Most sources I read say that Argentina's population is 97% white - mostly of Italian, Spanish, and German descent.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Chewbaccanator posted:

So apparently the whole Ríos Montt retrail in Guatemala has been temporarily suspended because the judge that was assigned to the case was deemed not to be impartial.

I just hope the fucker doesn't croak before they find him guilty all over again...
Because there's no way they'll find him innocent... Right guys?

:ohdear:

He'll die before the trial finishes. The whole thing is a farce and if I was Yasmin Barrios I would be kicking up a shitstorm about this.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

Argentina (and Uruguay) are the most white-bread countries in the Western Hemisphere. Most sources I read say that Argentina's population is 97% white - mostly of Italian, Spanish, and German descent.
But all the Bolivians are driving the country into ruin!!!!!

all 1% of them

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:stare:

quote:

The body of AMIA special prosecutor Alberto Nisman was found in the bathroom of his apartment in the Buenos Aires City neighbourhood of Puerto Madero late on Sunday.

Nisman, who was expected to take part in a closed-door hearing in Congress on Monday to reveal the details of explosive allegations that involved President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner and Foreign Minister Héctor Timerman, was found minutes before midnight.

Nisman reportedly committed suicide, according to sources, who say he was found in a pool of blood. That information has yet to be confirmed.

Nisman, who was appointed 10 years ago by the by the president’s late husband Néstor Kirchner, had revealed to some members of the opposition that he was ready to appear at the congressional hearing with more documents to back his allegations.

Nisman had accused Fernández de Kirchner of ordering impunity for the Iranian suspects in the 1994 AMIA attack in order to boost trade with Tehran. According to Nisman, Argentina wanted to import oil and export grains Iran.

Government allies had been pushing for today’s congressional hearing to be open to the public.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/179900/amia-special-prosecutor-alberto-nisman-found-dead-in-his-puerto-madero-home

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cristina is pretty crazy but I don't know if she'd have a dude murdered.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

Cristina is pretty crazy but I don't know if she'd have a dude murdered.

Iranians would. Its certainly an interesting death.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Iranians would. Its certainly an interesting death.

I don't see what Iranians have to do with Argentina?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Terrorism/argentina.html

quote:

In 1992 and 1994, two bombs devastated the Argentinean Jewish community and marked the arrival of Middle Eastern terrorism to South America.
Finally, in 1998, a telephone call intercepted from the Iranian embassy in Argentina demonstrated conclusively that Iran had been involved in the attack on the embassy. Argentina expelled six Iranian diplomats from the country but that was the extent of their action and it was never determined which individuals were culpable for the attack.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Nisman had been saying that Cristina personally directed her Foreign Minister to whitewash any possible Iranian involvement in the bombing of a Jewish community center in 1994. He was supposed to present that info to opposition members of Congress tomorrow, and from what I've read so far they found whatever he was going to show them tomorrow on his desk so if someone actually did murder him, fat lot of good it did them.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
His accusation in the presentation he was going to make today was even deeper: he said that, in top of protecting Iran the pact between them and the Argentine government would ensure an exchange of Argentine wheat shipments for Iranian oil. Argentina's been having serious issues with power generation and cheap oil would prove a pretty enticing prospect.

Argentina did not receive any Iranian oil shipments up to today, and foreign trade between both countries decreased in 2014.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm guessing this refers to the folk legend around here that the seventh male son of a family will turn into a werewolf ("lobezno" is used in this particular instance, even if the word "hombre lobo" already exists). Unless adopted by the president of turn, somehow. It's something that actually happens, they get a little certificate and everything.

TheImmigrant posted:

It's probably the only country that's gone from First World (it sent material and financial aid to Europe after WWII) to arguably Third World.

This are both pretty accurate.

I can try to answer things about Argentina, but my point of view is rather biased and not completely informed (as any point of view might be). Current status: Inflation (I would estimate something like accumulated ten fold in ~8 years); hosed up foreign debt situtation (look up vulture funds); crazy import/export situation to try to balance the foreign currency reserves; imminent election at the end of 2015 with the current political dinasty of the Kirchners on its way out, and every candidate in sight being a crook or a shithead rightwinger/neoliberalist. Also add whatever happened to that prosecutor that people are discussing right now.

E:

Forgall posted:

Anybody from Uruguay here? It seems to be getting pretty good rep, is it justified or just good PR?

TheImmigrant posted:

I did a semester of school in Montevideo. It's the bright spot of South America - super progressive politics (legal marijuana, gay marriage), stable, affluent. Uruguay is also very friendly to foreign investment and foreign residents. I'm seriously toying with the idea of buying a place in Montevideo or Colonia. Population is like Argentina's, but WAY more laid back. Montevideo is like a smaller, less pretentious Buenos Aires.

I've visited Uruguay a fair number of times due to having family there. They are doing pretty well nowadays, but they were hosed during the 90's-early 2000's (like most of the region really). It's a pretty chill place, if you want to experience South America without going to the crazy giant cities or the dirt poor countryside, Uruguay is a good middle ground. It's seen as very "rural" compared to Argentina, laid back like TheImmigrant said would be an accurate description. Consider that the whole country has about the same population as the City of Buenos Aires for example.

Markovnikov fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 19, 2015

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
In regards to Nisman and what is obviously his murder, it is important to note that there is a deep internal conflict between the Argentine intelligence agencies, particularly within the ex-SIDE, as well as Army intelligence. The intelligence services are the only part of the military who have not had their budgets left to wither to inflation, and they're quite powerful behind the scenes. The new Chief of the Army is the former army intelligence boss, and he's been beset by accusations of involvement in the dirty war (and is most certainly guilty in some degree, there are witnesses who place him inside clandestine detention and torture centers). I don't know if he had anything to do with this, but it goes to the general context that these are institutions that operate how they want and with a fair degree of insulation from the rest of the state.

Both the AMIA and Israeli embassy bombing investigations had a very tough going from the beginning, and they have not made much progress. The intelligence services have been involved from the start. The whole thing with Iran was a cock up that went nowhere.

It's rather tenuous and fantastical to think that the President ordered this man killed, but it is evident that he clearly knew something, or was extremely close to discovering something important. This is probably an internal fix.

E:

Markovnikov posted:

I'm guessing this refers to the folk legend around here that the seventh male son of a family will turn into a werewolf ("lobezno" is used in this particular instance, even if the word "hombre lobo" already exists). Unless adopted by the president of turn, somehow. It's something that actually happens, they get a little certificate and everything.
This is because a hundred and fifty years ago the 7th male son of a family would be pretty much destined to be a social pariah. At the very least get beaten up at school etc. At worst killed or driven to live in the mountains or something. The tradition of the president becoming the godfather (or godmother, now) is so that nobody would gently caress with these poor kids (given that there was no foundation, surprisingly, that these kids would turn into werewolves). It's obviously just a silly photo op for a slow news day now.

Ghost of Mussolini fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 19, 2015

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Man sometimes you're happy that the assholes stealing money and shadily controlling everything dont have guns and tanks in your little backwater banana republic.

At least not as many as you guys in the South.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hello, Argentinian here, I'm suffering a mix of shame and surprise. :v:

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

It's rather tenuous and fantastical to think that the President ordered this man killed, but it is evident that he clearly knew something, or was extremely close to discovering something important. This is probably an internal fix.

Yes, I would agree with this. I have absolutely no love for the current government, but a) it's pretty clear it was a murder and not a suicide and b) it's incredibly shameful, no matter who killed him. Anyways, nice to see you here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
I'm about to spend a few months in Argentina and Chile, and I was talking to someone I know in Buenos Aires and she said people are banging pots and pans (one hour ago). Sounds like there are some demonstrations tonight, too.