Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Conquest by a European power worked out so well for the people of South America the first time around, let's do another round of that! :wotwot:

Thank goodness for vaccines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sephyr posted:

Plenty of them are completely fine with it. They wanted to kick PT off the government and purge even milquetoast left people from all positions of power, and they got their wish.

A guy who used to be one of my best friends before libertarianism/racism ate his brain in the past 3 years basically went from "This country needs to be scoured clean of leftism and corruption!!" to "We need stability now! Anyone flinging mud at the new government should be arrested and beaten!" over the course of this weekend.

There's no hyperbole in the 'arrested and beaten' part, either. It's a common feeling in dealing with protests and anyone who doesn't...know their place.

There are people who were earnest in fighting corruption, of course. But they were never the real engine of the movement, and most of them now just feel baffled and discouraged. My father hates PT and Dilma beyond all reason, but even he felt ashamed during the Congress Vote to impeach her.

So how long will this Brazilian government last before poverty and starvation causes them to fall apart too?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/_ericblanc/status/1193882657047949313?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I really hope this works.

I really hope they chase out the Christian Fascist guys with SWASTIKAS on their cars.

...but we know whats up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zurakara posted:

Every single refugee I know has a smartphone. Alot of the "toys" they have are actually extremely useful for an extremely deprived person. Also it doubles a computer and a television!

And smart phones can be had for cheaper than a tv or dedicated computer in many places.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

brugroffil posted:

Angela Merkel has destroyed German democracy, and FDR destroyed America nearly a century ago with his ego driven dictatorship!

....what? How so?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fair nuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1318208181261271040?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mA posted:

Well, in the one year they were in power they accomplished a lot of what they wanted to do: e.g. privatize industries, take out loans from the World Bank, etc. I have a feeling it's going to be difficult for Arce and MAS to roll that stuff back, unfortunately.

I suspect that, in reality, its going to be easy to do. They are largely going to argue that the coup was an illegal act, given that they won BOTH elections, and simply invalidate the actions of the Right Wing coup.

If you cannot stand 2 elections, the Right Wing coup never had a legal mandate. In the end, that's all the legitimacy Arce and MAS needs to roll it back. Signing deals with World Bank assumes you have the legitimacy to be making that deal on behalf of the country. They did not, and based on this ongoing election, likely never did.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 19, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mA posted:

Yeah, I can see that. TBH, the much bigger problem is the predatory IMF loans that Anez took out for Bolivia. Hopefully Arce and MAS will be able to deal with the political economic ramifications of it.

Honestly? Yeah, IMF might try to lodge a complaint, but legally since the agreements were made with a coup, not the legitimate government: Good loving luck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah that's not happening. They'll be stuck with that debt because they won't want another coup.

Why would another coup happen? The current failed coup is largely toothless, and its unlikely anyone is going to sponsor one without becoming a pariah.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I hope you're right.

Don't get me wrong, its not a surety, but given the best they could do coup wise is now a guy crying on national TV.....good luck, IMF.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AliMortell/status/1318221632306089985?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/GravelInstitute/status/1320793893886140417?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Columbian police are shooting protestors on the ground for protesting tax hikes:

TW: Man gets shot

:nws:https://twitter.com/GravelInstitute/status/1389704407449808899?s=20:nws:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I keep waiting to be told that this was carried out by Trump or Trump adjacent people who think he is still president

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Bolsorano is having Hiccups that won't go away for the past 100 days

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1415334935527895046?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That sounds a lot like something systemic like cancer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quarantinethepast posted:

You don't wanna go into America's basement

Watch out for snakes and skeletons.