Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Are there any sources that describe the imperialist economic and/or geopolitical bonanza that the US would gain from invading and occupying Haiti in 2023?

Like, at least with the Iraq War people could chant "NO BLOOD FOR OIL" as a fun slogan even if the actual reasons were more insidious than invading to load up all the oil and ship it back to the US.

But at this point, what economic or geopolitical profit would the American Empire be squeezing out of a failed warlord state with a major intervention, even if you assume all of Haiti's problems were directly and unilaterally caused by them in the first place?

Edit: And just to make it clear, I don't believe sending troops to a country to "fix" it is a good idea, I'm just wondering which shadowy capitalist cabal will be making out like bandits once the US kicks rear end and takes names. I don't think Chiquita has the same pull nowadays.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I thought it was obvious it was a facetious response to all of the conspiratorial posts upthread when I added "fun slogan" and the Chiquita reference, but I guess Poe's law strikes again. Although I do genuinely agree with them that the US shouldn't be sending troops there, since the existing track record is pretty terrible.

And I am genuinely curious about any sources people have regarding the motivations for the US to invade Haiti for mercantilism reasons that aren't Russia Today or tankie Twitter accounts. There's not even the Cold War ideological reason that Haiti is being overrun by commies.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Marenghi posted:

They retain the same imperial interests that lead to the US involved 2004 coup against the democraticaly elected leader of the day. Which are essentially the same geopolitical reasons for all US interference in the Carribean. They do not want a leftist Haiti which becomes aligned with Cuba or Venuezula. They view the carribean and latin america et al as their backyard which is within their right to keep the states of the region under US hegemony.

Then there's Chevron and Exxon as the 2 major suppliers of oil to Haiti, and have documented requests to US in the past to scupper Haitian deals made with Venuzula for oil.

There's also the textile industry. 90% of Haitian exports are from that industry. Haiti has free trade zones where factories produce textiles for the US market paying Haitian minumum wage rates of less than a dollar an hour. Fruit of the Loom, Hanes, Levi Strauss, Disney and many other US companies operate out of the region where wages are less than US prison labour wages. The US has interfered to prevent minumum wage increases in the country and having a puppet government aids them in preventing such changes.

The wikileaks cable leaks showed how American interests in the country relate to those 3 points. https://www.coha.org/wikileaks-cables-show-haiti-as-pawn-in-u-s-foreign-policy/

And a quick article detailing the history of how the US developed Haitian industry around providing cheap clothing for US companies.
http://opiniojuris.org/2022/04/12/unfolding-haitis-garment-industry-decades-of-unaccountable-foreign-interference/

Also Haiti does appear to have vast untapped resources in gold, copper, and silver, which US companies have tried to develop but political instability has always been the biggest obstacle to that.
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/poverty-matters/2012/may/30/haiti-gold-mining

And there's gold old fashioned privatisation of the nation. There's always money to be made through imperialism by forcing privatisation.
https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2012/01/07/open-for-business

Thank you for providing these links, which do explain America's business interests in Haiti. I am not surprised that American diplomats pressure weaker governments to further American interests at the expense of their own people, but I don't think Fruit of the Loom has the political juice to sponsor the military occupation of the country.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Why Can't This Be Love is pretty terrible.