Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Beyond that the educational reforms Chile needs are nothing like the ones being mooted, which are focused on elminiating PROFIT in public education (not joking, this isn't hyperbole).

You make it sound like this is some insane goal when most other countries do this. Just because Pinochet hosed your education system to hell and back doesn't mean it has to stay that way. Also the idea that left-wing governments in particular are corrupt or incompetent is precious. Uribe, Menem, Collor, and Calderón all beg to disagree.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Is this the new Chile thread or can we talk about all issues re: Latin America? Because there seems to be a lot of dead people in Mexico and US levels of care appear to be around the level of however Turkey thinks of Kurds.

I'd like this to be a general Latin America thread, I've always wanted one :unsmith:

José Mujica called Mexico a failed state and had to apologize, even though he's totally right.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So essentially you're saying workers are treated too well, and they should just shut up and take what they're given so that your Yanqui overlords will invest more?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

I couldn't speak to Australia. Maybe things there aren't administered by gomers. Probably they do not in fact work the same way, though.

Maybe you would have had a decent administration if Pinochet hadn't overthrown Allende. Who knows!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hoiyes posted:

Well actually...

Why do so many South Americans seem to suffer from this weird South American unexceptionalism. The fact there are stupid, ignorant, or lazy people in countries other than their own seems to be unfathomable. Yeah the girl at the kiosk had to count on her fingers to check the change to give from 3 reais out of 10. Seen the same thing in Australia, no big deal. But a middle-class Brazilian will walk away from her saying "nossa que povo BURRO aqui tem!"

This is a good post. Depending on the country it's a mix of various levels of racism and classism. In Brazil, Peru, or Bolivia the level of racism is probably higher. The people always lamenting how dumb everyone is are white as hell.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Maybe. Probably we'd be a failed state limping by on international aid. Chile didn't have the massive human and physical capital reserves to plunder that Argentina did when it decided to run itself into the ground.

You mean when it was run into the ground by a junta?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Every day OP wakes up and is disappointed that the newspaper doesn't run a headline like:

Latin American media is so hosed. This tumblr got started during the Brazilian election, making fun of Veja for their ridiculous headlines (one of which they moved up to the day before the election and then were banned from publishing because it was electoral manipulation): http://desesperodaveja.tumblr.com/

LULA AND DILMA ALWAYS KNEW IT WASN'T LUPUS

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Typo posted:

According to D&D the solution to economic and political problem in every country is to just go more leftwards

The less they know about the issue the more true this is

Wow do we have two Pinochetistas in one thread?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Typo posted:

This is seriously like the left-wing version of a tea party rally.

Everything left of Reagan/right of Allende is Communism/Fascism respectively.

That's not really an answer to the question, weon.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Typo posted:

It is when the name "Pinochet" gets used as an excuse not to have to talk actual economic reforms and zombie Reagan Allende is the solution to all problems.

The 1973 coup and executing people in soccer stadium was pretty terrible, but people honestly seem to care more about reliving the rage than having an earnest discussion about modern day Chile.

When people still trumpet him as the man who saved Chile, and their current president was tortured by his dictatorship, and her father was assassinated for opposing the coup, you can see why people might want to. You can't discuss modern day Chile without discussing Pinochet because his legacy is still tainting the country.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I guess if this is a general Latin America thread, a little post about Uruguay's elections can't hurt. Forums poster SickBoy did a good write up of the last one (and Uruguayan history) in LF, but I can't find it.

The current president is José Mujica, of the left-wing/center-left Frente Amplio (Broad Front). He's probably best known for legalizing pot, looking like your cool grandpa, and driving his old VW Beetle instead of the official state car. He's a former guerrilla, but (like Dilma in Brazil) has been more moderate in power.

He is unable to run again because of term limits (one term at a time, though he could theoretically run again in the election after this).

The first round of the election was held on October 26. Tabaré Vázquez, Mujica's immediate predecessor as President and also of the FA, won the first round. It was expected to be close, but he outperformed the polls at got 49.5% of the vote. Most polls now say he's going to beat his opponent, Luis Alberto Lacalle Pou of the center-right Partido Nacional (National Party, also called the Blancos or the Whites), by around 14 points in the second round on Sunday.

Tabaré Vázquez

Luis Alberto Lacalle Pou

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I'm saying that having labor laws so strict they are unenforceable and drive most economic activity underground is a bad thing

The labor laws could be as light as the US and there would still be tons of informal labor because the problem has existed forever and until recently not many people have been interested in fixing it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

McDowell posted:

Sectarian/Xenophobic culture issues are a barrier.

But smartphones are getting better at translation, so actual language might be a non issue in another 10 years for someone who is digitally literate.

So all government business will be done via iPhone? What?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Honestly it seems like Peña Nieto is hosed for the rest of his term, especially if stuff like this keeps happening. No matter how many sloppy blowjobs he gets from The Economist for "reform," he is on track to be almost as unpopular as Calderón, which I didn't even think was possible.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I just did some googling and it seems the lowest Calderón's approval rating ever got was 46%, which is completely insane.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

Could some people from the countries in the region post what are considered the more reputable online news sources? Having never lived in latin america it can sometimes be hard to tell what the equivalent of Fox or the like is without context.

La Jornada is pretty good for Mexico (http://www.jornada.unam.mx/ultimas).

For Brazil I usually use CartaCapital (http://www.cartacapital.com.br/) or Revista Fórum (http://revistaforum.com.br/). Brazil and Argentina are pretty bad when it comes to getting any sort of impartial media.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tabaré Vásquez won his election. Uruguay will have 5 more years of the Frente Amplio, and will probably stick to its pot legalization plan.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Brazilian Deputy and all around awful person Jair Bolsonaro is out with another hit: "I wouldn't rape you, because you don't deserve it."

http://www.revistaforum.com.br/blog/2014/12/nao-estupro-voce-porque-nao-merece-diz-bolsonaro-maria-rosario/

In related(?) news, it looks like the corruption scandal at Petrobras continues to grow, but hasn't been linked to Rousseff yet - who knows if it ever will. The SEC is also opening an investigation in the US. I've read some reporters saying they don't think her and the PT would be making such strong denials about involvement if they had been involved, so who knows.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/09/us-brazil-petrobras-idUSKBN0JN1GZ20141209

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Brazil's Truth Commission published their report on the 1964-1985 military dictatorship this week. Among the Southern Cone dictatorship I guess you could call it the least bad (Videla makes that easy), but the report documented at least 300 cases of murder or disappearance. President Rousseff, tortured by that dictatorship in the 70s, broke down during her speech receiving the report. The Commission recommended repeal of the dictatorship's self-amnesty law and prosecutions of those responsible for human rights abuses, but that's probably not going to happen.

The Guardian posted:

“Under the military dictatorship, repression and the elimination of political opposition was because of the policy of the state, conceived and implemented based on decisions by the president of the republic and military ministers,” the commission concludes.

Several other countries have been implicated by commission members. The Brazilians initially used French counter-insurgency techniques developed in Algeria, but in the 1960s US influence became stronger.

Many Brazilian officers went to Panama to train at the School of the Americas, alongside military and police officers from almost every other Latin American country, whether run by dictators or not.

Courses they were given included training in “counter-insurgency techniques, command operations, intelligence and counterintelligence, psychological warfare operations, police-military operations and interrogation techniques,” the report says.

Secret instruction manuals used at the school were declassified by the US department of defence in the mid-1990s, revealing training in torture and other serious violations of human rights.

In the 1970s, Brazilian officers were sent to London for training in torture techniques. A former president, General Ernesto Geisel, who ruled from 1974-79, is quoted as saying, “The English, in their secret service, acted with discretion. Our people, inexperienced and extroverted, did it openly. I don’t justify torture, but I recognise there are circumstances when the individual is impelled to practise torture, to obtain certain confessions and so avoid a greater evil.”
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/10/brazil-president-weeps-report-military-dictatorship-abuses

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

If the Chilean experience is anything to go by, waiting for a generational change in the judiciary is a better bet than waiting until the political climate allows for a change to the law or its derogation. The only reason we saw any kind of justice whatsoever is because eventually judges came to adopt the convoluted ways to circumvent the Amnesty Law (and statutes of limitations) presented by human rights attorneys. The idea of a "permanent kidnapping" (since there's no body, and therefore no certainty of murder, and therefore no statute of limitations applies) is obviously bullshit, but less bullshit than a tyranny forcing upon a democracy the impunity of its enforcers, so I ain't complaining. That being said, justice in Chile still has a long way to go in that regard, and by now I've pretty much given up hope of things getting any better before the remaining torturers die off.

I think you're right, but if the generation hasn't changed enough in thirty years I'm doubtful it will any time soon. Especially when you have people like Bolsonaro in Congress calling for a new coup because of the DITADURA COMUNISTA #FORAPT

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Chewbaccanator posted:

So apparently the whole Ríos Montt retrail in Guatemala has been temporarily suspended because the judge that was assigned to the case was deemed not to be impartial.

I just hope the fucker doesn't croak before they find him guilty all over again...
Because there's no way they'll find him innocent... Right guys?

:ohdear:

He'll die before the trial finishes. The whole thing is a farce and if I was Yasmin Barrios I would be kicking up a shitstorm about this.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cristina is pretty crazy but I don't know if she'd have a dude murdered.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I don't see what Iranians have to do with Argentina?

Nisman had been saying that Cristina personally directed her Foreign Minister to whitewash any possible Iranian involvement in the bombing of a Jewish community center in 1994. He was supposed to present that info to opposition members of Congress tomorrow, and from what I've read so far they found whatever he was going to show them tomorrow on his desk so if someone actually did murder him, fat lot of good it did them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Azran posted:

I don't see the point of killing yourself in a position like the one he was in. I do think it could be possible he was forced to commit suicide, maybe some relatives of his were threatened if he didn't.

The investigating prosecutor said she's not ruling that out yet. Apparently he had asked to borrow the pistol from someone in his office that he shot himself with, weird.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hoiyes posted:

Any Brazgoons up for some wild speculation on the water crisis in São Paulo. As far as I can tell from the press, opinions seem to range from "It looks pretty bad now, but God is Brazilian and he'll send the rains. by the way have you heard about Petrobras?" to "Expect Mad Max-esque, post-apocalyptic scenes, as the Southern Hemisphere's largest city turns into a dustbowl and regular citizens who can't flee find themselves trapped in the middle of an urban war between heavily armed gangs and veritable armies of private security over the few remaining water sources."

How's this different from normal? :rimshot:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Azran posted:

We still haven't legalized abortion.

He said civilized countries :smug:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Brazil has elected a big time conservative as speaker of the Chamber of Deputies. He hates gays, "aboritionists", and potsmokers. He also thinks Brazil should criminalize "heterophobia."

:bravo:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Markovnikov posted:

Eh, depends on who you ask. The Kirchner's did some good things (pulled the country out of the ashes of the economic crisis) and some bad things (ton of shady poo poo). Still better than Menem. Still better than most of the possible candidates in the upcoming elections. Seriously, Macri is going to win and the roaring 90's will be back in full force.

You joke, but half the country thinks this of every non-peronist president, while the other half thinks this about every peronist president. I find it disgusting that 40 years after his death, his handless corpse still warps the political landscape of the country.

I thought Scioli was a shoo-in?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

vamos calajo

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

paltido justiciarista

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Markovnikov posted:

Every time I see anything about Carrio she just seems deranged. Is she peddling some coup fears now or something?

She desperately wants to be relevant.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Lava Jato list is out!

http://www.cartacapital.com.br/blog...campaign=buffer

2 PSDB (including Neves), 1 PTD (Fernando Collor, lol), 6 or 7 PT, 6 or 7 PMBD (surprisingly low) and like 30 PP.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

I am pretty sure Neves' name will go unnoticed. The guy is made of Teflon, even though he is just about the dirtiest politician in Brazil. He pretty much created the whole mensalao thing (for both PT and PSDB: the money was laundered through one of his allies who was head of the Furnas hydroelectric company), and no one said a thing about that. He has dirt on everybody, so he can even betray his own party and no one will say a thing.

Have there been any theories to explain the number of PP people, other than "PP exists solely for corruption"?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sephyr posted:

That trigger-happy senator was the grandfather of one of our presidents. Political dynaties are very much a thing here.

Still about Aecio, his popularity is a mix of factors. He's young, and relatively unknown by most people outside of his home state, which means that they tend to go with their positive first impression. He's also not from the crusty, older generation of PSDB politicians that A) borked the country something fierce in the 90s, and B) failed again and again to sway the elections back to their side.

He's not particularly charismatic, but also not a stick in the mud lie, say, SP governor Geraldo Alckmin. And his last name, Neves, is due to him being the grandson of legendary brazilian politician Tancredo Neves, a bigshot across several governments from the1940s and onward, the guy who negotiated the end of the dictatorship in the 1980s with himself as the transition president, then promptly keeled over dead and left the country with his insanely corrupt vice-president Jose Sarney in one of the biggest anticlimaxes in the history of ever.

So he's fresh, has the right political pedigree, the media backing and the cash to be the great white hope.

I still can't believe Alckmin got reelected with like 60%.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Setting the world on fire is a lot easier if you don't have any water :v:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It should by Yrigoyen and Perón on every bill.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sick_Boy posted:

Uno por uno was one hell of a mess, wasn't it? I'm not that well-versed on the details, was it artificially forced or something that was, at least for a time, a viable thing?

It was viable in that it brought in a bunch of foreign money, but it also made Argentine industry totally nonviable.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hecko posted:

I remember those little 1cent of Austral with the running ñandu in the back.

This is the only bill that matters

Holy poo poo.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are the people participating in the protests people who were already middle/upper class before 2002, or does it include the new middle class also?