Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

wateroverfire posted:

Like TheImmigrant said that's kind of a big can of worms.

For Chile El Mercurio is more or less the paper of record. They tend to lean right. Also, to get an article published in El Mercurio you must write like you have a 3" diameter stick up your rear end all the time.

La Tercera is a pretty good source.

TBH The Clinic is at least as insightful as other national sources and more entertaining to read.

Take any statement by a politician or uanttributed statement with a huge grain of salt no matter where it comes from. Chilean politicians are often American state legislature levels of incompetent and crazy.

For perspective: The Clinic is for the most part a comedy newspaper that leans heavily to the left (swaying between pro-Concertación and pro-non concerta left), with a sense of humor somewhere between LF and 4chan. Curiously enough, they've always been pretty good at investigative journalism, and their resident photographer is like, insane good, easily among the best in the country. I haven't bought the paper in a while though, since reading a bunch of cuicos progres attempting to be funny by lifting memes (in an only slightly less blatant way than their hilariously short-lived right-wing counterpart) gets old after a while, so I don't know if that's still how they roll.

La Tercera and El Mercurio for the most part do a great job of projecting neutrality, objectivity and lack of bias, but their conservative bent (EM being traditionally conservative, LT being closer to the neoliberal right) REALLY flares up when dealing with a few touchy topics. EM is anti-mapuche as gently caress, for example, and they've both been spearheading the right's media effort to oppose the tax and educational reforms. El Mostrador is the closest thing there is to a left-leaning Mercurio/Tercera, though El Mostrador is not a newspaper, it's exclusively online.

There's also CIPER, of course. Touted by some as the last bastion of real, hard-hitting journalism in Chile, it's certainly the only place I can think of that still releases journalistic "bombs", so to speak. Its objectivity has been called into question every once in a while, though.

Last time I checked most Chileans still believe that radio stations are the most trustworthy when it comes to getting credible, unbiased information, chiefly from Cooperativa and Biobio (EL HOMBRE QUE NO ESTÁ INFORMADO, NO PUEDE TENER OPINIÓN).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Badger of Basra posted:

Brazil's Truth Commission published their report on the 1964-1985 military dictatorship this week. Among the Southern Cone dictatorship I guess you could call it the least bad (Videla makes that easy), but the report documented at least 300 cases of murder or disappearance. President Rousseff, tortured by that dictatorship in the 70s, broke down during her speech receiving the report. The Commission recommended repeal of the dictatorship's self-amnesty law and prosecutions of those responsible for human rights abuses, but that's probably not going to happen.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/10/brazil-president-weeps-report-military-dictatorship-abuses

If the Chilean experience is anything to go by, waiting for a generational change in the judiciary is a better bet than waiting until the political climate allows for a change to the law or its derogation. The only reason we saw any kind of justice whatsoever is because eventually judges came to adopt the convoluted ways to circumvent the Amnesty Law (and statutes of limitations) presented by human rights attorneys. The idea of a "permanent kidnapping" (since there's no body, and therefore no certainty of murder, and therefore no statute of limitations applies) is obviously bullshit, but less bullshit than a tyranny forcing upon a democracy the impunity of its enforcers, so I ain't complaining. That being said, justice in Chile still has a long way to go in that regard, and by now I've pretty much given up hope of things getting any better before the remaining torturers die off.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
My grasp on US politics has become looser and looser, but doesn't this mean that Jeb Bush (or any other republican candidate) would campaign on reverting this completely to appease the GOP-voting Cubans?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Well yes and no, as far as I know. The Colombian government insisted that the ongoing talks shouldn't be bound to the Army suspending anti-guerrilla activities, but it could be because the FARC don't seem to be particularly cohesive as a military and political entity (the recent kidnapping of a Colombian general and his quick release appeared to demonstrate this), and afaik FARC have a history of breaking bilateral ceasefires for this reason. It somehow managed to not be a hindrance for the peace talks so far, though. Not sure if the declaration is a sign that the talks are heading in the right direction, or empty posturing.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Ras Het posted:

Soccer in Sun & Shadow is pretty famous. I read it when I was like 10 and had no idea yet why USA was apparently so bad.

I remember that! My uncle had it and it was probably one of the first books I ever read that didn't have pictures. Well, it had some pictures. Very tiny pictures.

Though the one Galeano thing that I remember most is his portrayal of the Disaster of Curalaba:

quote:

Rebellion erupts in the coasts of the Pacific and thunderbolts shake the mountains of the Andes.
Martín García Óñez de Loyola, nephew of Saint Ignatius, had come from Perú with fame of being a tireless hunter and efficient killer. There he had captured Túpac Amaru, the last of the incas. They made him Governor of Chile so that he could tame the Araucanians. Here, he slew indians, stole sheep and burned down crops without leaving a single grain. Now the Araucanians parade his head on top of a spear.
The indians call to battle by blowing bones of christians fashioned as trumpets. War masks, leather armor: the araucanian cavalry conquers the south. Seven settlements crumble to dust, one after another, under the rain of flaming arrows. The prey becomes hunter. The Araucanians lay siege to Imperial. To leave it dry, they change the course of the river.
Half of Chile, all the land south of the Bío-Bío, is once again Araucanian.
The indians say, pointing at the head on the spear: This is my master. This one doesn't make me dig up gold for him, or bring him herbs and firewood, or tend to his cattle, or sow or harvest his crops. This is the master I want to ride with.

:black101:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Volkerball posted:

Libertadores coming up, bitches. Go Palestino.

I miss the days when Palestino still had players of palestinean descent and the team basically served as half of the National Football Team of Palestine.

There's nothing particularly noteworthy about current Palestino. I mean, other than this.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
In Chilean news, the finals of a popular cooking show were OBVIOUSLY RIGGED. I expect this to become a bigger scandal than the Nisman case.

Also same-sex civil unions were recently legalized, the first part of the much-anticipated educational reform was passed into law, a newly introduced bill might make us the last country in the civilized world to legalize abortion, and the largest right-wing party is undergoing a slow implosion due to a scandal involving tax evasion in campaign funding. But seriously though #IGNACIOESPUEBLO

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Whenever I try to catch up with Argentinean politics I always end up wondering just how on earth the country still manages to function.

e:

Azran posted:

Also holy poo poo that link: "Female human trafficking is a feminist invention to make man kneel to them"

The article basically says that human trafficking doesn't exist and the hoax is a nefarious plot to curtail the rights of innocent solicitors of prostitution by guilt-tripping them into not having sex with minors :qq:
The link right next to that one declares that "anti-human trafficking" NGOs are in fact human trafficking operations that seek to procure teenage sex slaves for Mauricio Macri.
So which one is it? :mad:

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 4, 2015

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Meanwhile, in Chile (Argentina's boring cousin), President Bachelet's son was forced to resign from his government post as... whatever it is that he did, after allegations that he used privileged information to his benefit in a real estate deal by his wife's company.

We hardly knew you, Guatón Mamón.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I think what ronya's saying is that Latin American politics are peculiar in that the economic model (neoliberal with "soft" leftist touches, i.e. Brazil, Chile) is pretty solidly installed in most countries, with a relative consensus among the political leadership (and, one might assume, among their constituencies), and yet political discourse re:"the economy" is extremely polarized, even though the discourse isn't about the model, but about relatively minutial aspects, like food programs for the poor or school vouchers.

I don't really find it all that peculiar, for simple reasons: politics in Latin America by themselves tend to be extremely charged, not because people are extremely passionate about singular issues, but because our recent history contributes to a lot of pent-up animosity. Most voters in Latin America have lived under a dictatorship. Some of them have endured civil wars. Most left-of-center parties in Latin America which are either in power or the main opposition were born out of organized resistance against military dictatorships. Most right-of-center parties were born as spiritual successors of those dictatorships. A very significant voter base of both sides is comprised of people who either strongly want or strongly don't want to go back to either the days were people disappeared or the days where we were a rock's toss away from becoming the next Cuba. There simply hasn't been enough of a generational change for that kind of enmity to subside - and that's only in countries that have been relatively peaceful during the last 20 years.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Argentina has a long tradition of interesting ambassadors.

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

Hope you chileans get your poo poo in order.

Massive loving drought followed by massive loving flooding. I remember something similar happening over a decade ago by the time I had just moved to La Serena. This was several orders of magnitude harder, though.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Omi-Polari posted:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article17053712.html

Haitian president Michel Martelly's approval rating is 57 percent. While 70 percent of Haitians think the country is heading in the wrong direction and 80 percent are unemployed.

:iiam:

I find it kind of hard to believe that Martelly is literally the second or third head of state in the Americas with the highest approval rate.

(the figures are two months old - Evo's numbers have dropped somewhat, Tabaré Vásquez is starting his mandate in the mid-50's, Bachelet's approval is currently plummeting, and Dilma's has probably sunk even lower)

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 8, 2015

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
That's too bad. Galeano wrote some neat stuff re: politics, history, and football.

Traveller posted:

It looks like a case of entrapment for me. They convince Compagnon to get in this fantastic deal, score a good deal of money, and have something to use on Bachelet if necessary - for instance, now that the public opinion wants to skin UDI due to the Penta affair.

(The strange dealings in SQM probably do involve the whole breadth of the spectrum, however.)

SQM+Penta+Caval is such a perfect shitstorm that I'm honestly left wondering who will seize the opportunity. Concertación and Alianza (Nueva Mayoría and "la centroderecha", whatever) had been dragging some pretty abysmal support levels for a good while, but if the momentum that these scandals have caused isn't enough to make a dent in their twofold hold on political power then I sincerely don't think I'll live to see a different party system.

And man, the opportunities are so exciting! Who will be the new rising star of chilean politics? Could be ME-O, could be Parisi, could be Farkas, could be Don Francisco... :iamafag:

Oh wait ME-O just got spotted on the SQM biz. lmao

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Traveller posted:

I don't know about that. There'll be a lot of "a pox upon both your houses" rhetoric but I think the right wing will bear the worst of it: public opinion will see that the Concertación people involved in all this bullshit were greedy individual fucks, but not with full support and consent of their respective parties. Meanwhile, UDI is circling the wagons and clamping down on any possible criticism within the party so what do you have to hide, momios.

Watch Lily Pérez become the Iron Lady of Chile, though :haw:

The MEO thing looked like low-effort tarring. I'd have to check my Sunday issue of La Tercera though, and my brother stole it :argh: Kind of weird that they of all people are going through all the gory details, however!

I don't know, the UDI is by all accounts imploding as we speak ("our collective is on the verge of political collapse? Let's put Carlos Larraín back in charge! Just the refreshing gesture the people were expecting from us!"), but it seems like the SQM affair still has juicy deals stored somewhere. There's only so many greedy individual fucks who can be indicted before the populace stops seeing any relevant distiction between Penta's shady deals with the UDI and whatever excuses the center-left will put up for their part in the tax fraud.
But it's still very possible that, instead of flocking to any alternatives (are there any alternatives?) the fallout to both sides will simply cancel each other out and have no practical effect elections-wise. If anything, we'll always have Moreira and Von Baer going down in flames.

Yeah, MEO's bit looks like small bananas compared to the rest (no bills to his name yet, but he did meet with the SQM board), but his response was frankly ridiculous. "Yes, I met with them. I MET WITH THEM TO TELL THEM WE'RE GOING TO NATIONALIZE LITHIUM"

Oh, if only Boric and Jackson could fuse together, they'd be old enough to run for president... :allears:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

wateroverfire posted:

There are no alternatives. Trying to make something out of Penta was such a huge mistake when fraud in election financing is basically the norm and everyone has been involved in something.

If anything, it's sending the political establishment panicking into passing some mild restraint on campaign funding a la McCain-Feingold. It's basically the same thing as the student movement: Of course there will be no free quality education for all. Of course the parties won't suddenly get rid of their vested interests and pursue lawmaking in good faith. Of course there won't be a clean slate and the people will flock to elect Father Berríos, Benito Baranda and the ghost of Felipe Camiroaga into office. But what meager advances on education have been made in the last five years are all because of pressure from the street. And this is the first time since Frei Montalva being on the CIA's payroll that people actually care about who's funding their candidates. It's not an exercise in futility.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Badger of Basra posted:

Just read the first puff piece about Mauricio Macri, from the AP. I love how the wire services do one for the center right candidate in every Latin American election.

They're all the same piece, too. "One millionaire discovers A STRANGE LOOPHOLE that lets you reach development and eschew populism! TRADITIONAL POLITICIANS HATE HIM!!"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
The spirit of the Honduran Constitution has never been placing checks on presidential power, it's always been placing check on presidential power that might be held by... y'know...

populists...

so I don't see what's got you lefturds' panties in a bunch, really :smug:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Berke Negri posted:

Im sure the American press that came out in support of the coup for protecting the Honduran constitution will come out and denounce this.

"Sourpuss Honduran opposition too bitter to approve of the reforms they themselves planned when they were in power"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

joepinetree posted:

Whenever I feel disillusioned with PT and I think that they might not be so different from PSDB after all, PSDB goes and reminds me of how loving terrible they are.

PSDB-Sao Paulo has just decided to name Coronel Telhada to the state's human rights commission. Telhada personally claims to have killed 36 people, has been arrested for police brutality some 7 or 8 times, increased the number of people killed by ROTA (a notably violent branch of the Sao Paulo police) by over 60% when he became their commander, and is someone who has been generally known to be a racist piece of poo poo who threatens journalists who bring up his many, many abuses and reprimands.

Well something tells me the PSDB voter base would love to vote for Capitão Nascimento. The party leadership's just giving the people what they want.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
:iamafag: La picardía del chilenshdk;cefdhj

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Didn't Peron had a huge loving beef with the Catholic Church though? IIRC during one of the Coups that took him down his supporters even torched churches.

Jonad posted:

Didn't Peron 'disappear' (kill) a whole load of Communists?

For all "Didn't Perón do [the exact polar opposite of what this peronist is saying/doing/supporting]?" questions, the answer is, invariably, "Yes. Your point?"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Traveller posted:

La justicia tarda.

:ironicat: from the UDI General Secretary "Part of the story is told, without its context"

The context is two kids beaten up by a military patrol, doused in gas and set aflame

The left has orchestrated an unprecedented white-washing of history to make people forget that Salvador Allende was the Night's King, and its supporters, before and after the coup, were White Walkers.
:banderadechileconcondoritollorando:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
kicking out Maná... maybe there is hope for peronism yet...

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
He's being tortured by angels in a dungeon deep within Heaven's National Stadium :angel:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
It's gonna be so weird when the evangelicals finally seize their rightful place in the reactionary chilean right. What will the Opus Dei do then :qq:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Who was the brazilian politician whose helicopter got caught transporting a shitload of cocaine and then newspapers reported it as "wow, can you believe this random helicopter pilot moonlighted as a drug kingpin. amazing"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Markovnikov posted:

For those not in the know, the editorial(?) of La Nacion posted an article basically saying that the Montoneros (leftist guerrillas during the 70's that existed before and during the military dictatorship and did the usual guerrilla fighting and bombing) were exactly the same as ISIS and their European attacks. This is one of the main newspapers in the country, FYI. I would expect that from Cronica, were at least it would make me laugh.

Looks like our now less-sophisticated neighbours could learn a thing or two from the elegance of Chilean press reactionaries :smug:. Just douse that thing on ten layers of dogwhistles (times of political upheaval! the facts that led to an institutional crisis! the opinions of people who weren't alive back then! the double standard of the justice system! historical debt to our armed forces!) and you've got yourself a standard El Mercurio op-ed piece (from someone who literally conspired with a foreign power to overthrow their own democratically elected government, no less).

This reminds me of that whack-rear end EM columnist who recently resigned from his cushy job at an elite (and very conservative-leaning) private university in disgust because some students had a get-together where they played songs by Quilapayún and Víctor Jara (bolshevism apologists!!!). Can't quite remember if he was the same one who, in the wake of Barack Obama's election, published a long piece that basically amounted to "have you noticed that Obama and Osama sound alike??? hmmm are they brothers??? p.s. he only won because of the blacks"
Of course, he's touted as part of the intellectual vanguard of the Chilean right wing. I guess he's like our own Olavo de Carvalho?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

My Imaginary GF posted:

I still do not understand Peronism. Was it, like, the 1940's version of Trump support?

Peronism is glorious in that it's a purely performative ideology. You don't need to understand what it is or how it was formed, if you say you're a peronist then you're a peronist. If you say what you're doing is peronism, then it's peronism.
In that way, peronism is both like an artform and like art itself :allears:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
dilma is the worst female president Brazil has ever had. disgraceful

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

My Imaginary GF posted:

I fail to see why anyone should sympathize with a populist demagogue attempting to install themselves as dictator through extralegal means, rather than the constitutional processes that ensured Honduras would continue as a functional nation-state rather than going the way of the Venezuelan failed state.

wait, what is this post referring to when it mentions a constitutional process that ensures Honduras will continue as a functional nation-state

does it include the coup, rigged elections and the political assassinations that ensued, or just the coup

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

qnqnx posted:

It's actually a pretty boring case that no one gives a poo poo about except newspapers trying to be dramatic.

Chilean political scandals since 1990 tend to be pretty dull by Latin American standards tbh. There was the "Half the UDI is part of a pedophilia ring" thing but that turned out to be a false alarm

By Chilean standards it's kinda big, but by now the fact that both Nueva Mayoría and the right wing (Chile Vamos??? who the hell picks those names) are in it deep means it will either lead to "wow this is so widespread, better pass some token regulation re: campaign finances and conflict of interests" or "both sides are doing it so angry votes will cancel each other out and lmao if you think people will vote for a third party". Since the Comisión Engel was defanged before it even did a thing signs point heavily towards option 2

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Traveller posted:

I'm still convinced that Gemita Bueno was paid off to shut up, but I admit that's because I have the same reaction to Jovino Novoa that American posters have to Ted Cruz.

And while there's a major "a pox upon both your houses" sentiment going on (see: most humor skits at Viña del Mar this year) I think the right stands to lose the most this time. UDI in particular is pretty hosed as most major scandals have them as the primary beneficiaries, their refusal to discipline their own party members even after Novoa got that ridiculous slap-in-the-wrist sentence is not playing well with people, and even the Caval affair that has tanked Bachelet's approval ratings had UDI agents involved. The abortion debate just goes to show how completely disconnected they sound from reality, and maybe I'm being too optimistic but I think people will remember come elections time. If nothing else, they won't be El Partido Popular anymore.

Oh they're not el partido popular anymore, some genius at the marketing department decided the best way to face the heat the party's getting was to do some rebranding with a new logo and name. So they received a shitton of money through shady means but at least it's comforting to see they're putting those lucas to good use

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
man, no way. feels like it took five centuries to recover from the mess the last clean wipe left.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

HardDisk posted:

For reals, I thought Tiririca had left a long time ago.

Tiririca the illiterate clown??? please tell me he isn't involved in Lava Jato. Not Tiririca :ohdear:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
In other news, Patricio Aylwin is dead.
All in all he was ok, I'll mourn him to the extent of what's possible

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Aw guys don't be so harsh with the new cabinet. Maybe they relieved the Ministry of Labor of a few responsibilities because they plan to terceirize it :)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Hold on.
So in Brazil, La Chilindrina is called "Chiquinha"?
I'm sorry, that's just barbaric.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Not touching the PSUV chat right now because it's a debate we Can't Deal With
---
Okay, legit, sincere question: Does anybody in Brazil to the right of the PT even remotely care about corruption in any non-PT parties?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

tekz posted:

This thread is big and I apologized if someone's talked about it before, but how has the new Argentinian government been so far? The recent cave in to vulture funds was deeply disturbing, have they slashed government services and other things to repay the debt?

As a Chilean I only keep updated on Argentina issues by osmosis but the gist of it is that Macri was elected in hopes he'd fix the economic clusterfuck, there are no signs of recovery yet (and arguably things are quite a bit worse due to inflation, stagnating wages, unemployment), and patience is starting to wear thin. There was the usual sacking of public employees with the change of administration and some specific benefits and subsidies were withdrawn early on (I think an energy subsidy was the biggest one? I remember it causing a fuzz earlier this year) but iono if the there's been major cuts after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
If anything, open, bald-faced Pinochet apologism is becoming increasingly rare in public discourse in Chile, and it's slowly being banished to the nadir of civilization that is the comments sections of El Mercurio and La Tercera.

Mind you, that doesn't mean that reactionaries don't feel pretty much the same way about Pinochet that they did before, they just do it underneath a thin layer of dogwhistles. But I feel like a guy like Bolsonaro, to give an example, would never fly in Chile's political system.