Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Chewbaccanator posted:

We live well and apparently also rank pretty highly in Happiness Indexes, but then again we had the major advantage of having no wars, significant guerrillas or violent change of power since 1948.

We also, however, suffer from a lot of Latin America's shortcomings, especially on an institutional level after the 80s. The general level of the political discourse is IMO quite low, too.

e: So I really want a general LatAm thread, let's try to talk about something other than Chile.

Enrique Peņa Nieto's government proposes to shift the police force from a municipal level to a state level after the utter shitstorm that Iguala has been.
This doesn't sound like the worst of plans to combat local corruption, but how effective can it be in states far away from D.F.? I guess it also depends on how much you should trust your state government.

I honestly don't see Peņa being able to get any sort of major reform like this through with the absolute savaging he has (rightfully) taken. I have no idea what's going to happen in Mexico and can only look on with morbid curiosity each day, the loss of legitimacy not just of the government, but of the opposition parties and the state and it's institutions itself is really quite frightening.

If the independent forensic reports come back and say the remains found weren't the students then Peņa is left with zero credibility. Maybe the reason that the AG hasn't already resigned is because they want him to be around to take the fall if the tests come back negative to try and isolate some of the damage from the president?

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Could some people from the countries in the region post what are considered the more reputable online news sources? Having never lived in latin america it can sometimes be hard to tell what the equivalent of Fox or the like is without context.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 30, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jesus loving Christ

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

I feel this is a good start to understanding Argentina.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I've only read open veins but man, what a book