Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
First, US-Cuba thawing and now the FARC declares an indefinite truce?

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-30525871

Weirdest and :unsmith:est day in a long time.

Edit: nice things? In MY Latin America??

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Loving that motto:

"An European solution for the Argentine's problems." :allears:

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

I find it kind of hard to believe that Martelly is literally the second or third head of state in the Americas with the highest approval rate.

(the figures are two months old - Evo's numbers have dropped somewhat, Tabaré Vásquez is starting his mandate in the mid-50's, Bachelet's approval is currently plummeting, and Dilma's has probably sunk even lower)

What the Christ, Ollanta... :psyduck:

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Goodbye PPK, for your year and a half as President you'll always be remembered in my heart as a loving traitor.

Now the Fujimori siblings have set their own Thunderdome to see who survives and gets chosen to turn the country into a shithole that makes me not want to set foot on it again.

Comedy option: Castañeda for 2021

What? No, I'm not bitter at all, no sir!

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Pedro II must be rolling in his grave.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I've never been an Evo supporter but seeing Bolsonaro clones sprout is sickening.

And yes, tearing and burning Wiphala flags is just wrong and stupid.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Democracy Dies in Darkness indeed.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
When I woke up on the other side of the pond, the followers of this guy were the second most voted party:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Ezequiel_Jon%C3%A1s_Ataucusi_Molina.jpg

:Ezequiel 25:17:

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Regarding Shining Path's violent killings, Maria Elena Moyano may have been only one of many but also very symbolic. She was kind of a big deal in my hometown and a personal friend to family and friends:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar%C3%ADa_Elena_Moyano

wiki article posted:

Moyano was shot various time by a woman in front of her son Gustavo and her husband David Pineki (she married him in 1980). Her body was then dragged to the town square and blown up with dynamite. 

Years later I heard comments from people who attended her shocked brother who at first thought they were plucking pieces of shrapnel from his arm only to discover they were bone fragments of her sister.

So yeah, they were murderous inhuman monsters but I think the most damaging thing they did to the country was to make an entire generation scared as gently caress of leftist ideas and easily fall pray to the "terrorists are back" rethoric the right pull anytime there is some kind of social justice demand.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Almost there...

I felt filthy voting for Castillo but now I'm glad I didn't protest blank vote or anything. This one might be closer than with PPK.

I mean, there's going to be 5 more years of chaos anyway but seeing Keiko crash and burn in the end once more (not literally, but a man can dream) would be :discourse:.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
itshappening.gif

I'm guessing they will be predictably disappointing but I'm now curious for the overseas results.

Edit: 4600 to go lmao

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 7, 2021

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
https://twitter.com/ONPE_oficial/status/1401939336652902405?s=19

:sickos:

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Throw her in her father's cell and turn off the lights.

Her father's "cell" is more livable than the average house in some parts of the country. Throw her in one of the mountain prisons she vowed to build last election and make her build one first, brick by brick.

Also, I know most of it is just people talking, but now that Castillo has won (and it's assumed that Keiko knows she has lost and that's why she started crying fraud) I'm starting to hear coupy noises. So far the military has kept its cool, though.

Edit: also, I guess comparing her to Hillary is one of those "explain foreign politics to Americans" thing but come on, it's not even close. Not even if the adrenochrome stuff was real.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 9, 2021

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

It really shows how important MAS getting back into power was. If the Bolivian coup succeeded in the long run then the capitol would have already been stormed.

Yes, yesterday my wife told me she was worried about her friends commenting on the possibility of a coup and normally she would have dismissed it as nonsense but this time she wasn't sure.

I don't think it will happen, not right away anyway. The Peruvian military might be filled with entitled classist bastards but there has been little if any saber rattling.

Their position on the lame rear end parliamentary coup attempt a few months back was surprisingly cautious and gave them some credit with the people, besides I don't think they're willing to risk their privileges for her. Now if the "terrorists are in the government" ball keeps on rolling...

But between the example in Bolivia and the people's response to the attempt a few months back I don't think a coup is brewing yet.

That Castillo manages to stay in power for a year is another story.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

It appears the first group Castillo joined forces with right after the first round was Verónika Mendoza's socially progressive demsocs (who had concentrated much of the left-of-center vote in previous elections) so a softening of his social positions wouldn't be weird, but we'll have to see. AFAIK there's a lot of small socially conservative parties in parliament he'll have to deal with if he expects to have anything done, so it could go either way.

They did sign an agreement of sorts with JPP (Veronika's party) but it was very broad and generic as in "respect the constitution and basic human rights".

Castillo's campaign for the second round was slow and improvised. Seeing him winning despite that (and the general campaign against him by the right) shows once again how antifujimorism is still the biggest political movement in Peru.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
https://twitter.com/MindefPeru/status/1402667413452251136?s=19

Peruvian Military (or rather, the Defense Ministry) had to make a public statement to confirm they are not planning to march to oust the commies anytime soon.

This was in response to people literally asking for a coup including a "peaceful march" to one of their main Headquarters.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

no hay camino posted:

I'm just confused as to why Uruguay and Argentina have the Incan Sol de Mayo sun symbol in their flag but not Peru.

Peru had a similar "Sol de Mayo" flag for a brief time after independence but it was ditched because it was confused with the Spanish flag from afar:

In my opinion besides the sun being rather ugly in red, it would have been cool to have the Inti as a recurring motif for South American flags.

It did show again briefly as the flag of South Peru during the Confederation with Bolivia, which looks cooler:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_South_Peru

As a somewhat related trivia, military stars in Peru, as in the ones that show a General or Admiral's rank are also Inti suns.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

The Horrible Saga of JAIR.avi

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
What the gently caress Castillo. Not even 24 hours in and just appointed as Prime Minister a misogynist, homophobic, Sendero apologist nobody.

Apparently the name everyone was expecting for the post was another douche who doesn't give money for the baby he had with a 14 year old but a bunch of Congresswomen send a letter to him telling it would be a bad idea. :shepicide:

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I think it's more like he's folding to the major assholes that run the party he was candidate for (he was invited to run as candidate but does not belong to the party).

Sure, Castillo has also proven to be backwards on some social issues but hasn't spewed the amount of bullshit his Premier has. At some point during the campaign he appeared to be ready to take the wheel in his hands but this has proven otherwise.

On top of it, this also provides more ammunition for opposition in Congress so yeah, this government won't last long.

Edit:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think waiting and seeing is more prudent. Here's a thread where Castillo's Minister for Women and Vulnerable Populations explaining that she will fight all discrimination against LGBTQ+ Peruvians. https://twitter.com/AnahiDurandG/status/1421085960633257986?s=19

That appears to be Vero's quota. Good intentions so we can only hope it doesn't end as a toothless ministry.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 30, 2021

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
They finally convinced him, even if he had rejected the position after Bellido was designated Premier.

That pin and his speech are basically a middle finger to the Bellido/Cerrón leadership.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Mendoza's party is Nuevo Perú but they run with the JPP (Juntos Por el Perú) coalition. Political party names in Perú are somewhat uninspiring but the parties themselves tend to be short lived.

The FA from which they separated did not get any seats this time.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 31, 2021

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I wonder if Castillo wants to genocide all the gays

Why would you even wonder this? I've never seen anyone suggest something other than Castillo being socially conservative on issues like same sex marriage and gender education in general. Unless you are being facetious and dissing on the prensa chicha but that is the lowest of low hanging fruit, mate.

I've also hadn't seen him lumped with the etnocacerists before. Antauro's bunch backed Lopez Aliaga's party during the first round at least.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

no hay camino posted:

Castillo apparently said in his campaign that he would looking into granting an "indulto" or pardon for Antauro.

However yes, this is not the same as Castillo and Antauro working together on policy entre bastidores or Antauro being appointed to a position or anything. It appears more that Castillo made a promise in response to a demand of his supporters.

Right, I hadn't seen that before. As you say, it does appear to be him trying to please part of his supporters, and also by date that should be during the campaign for the second round, right? So he may have tried to reach for the antauristas.

In any case, besides constant struggle with Congress (nothing new from the past 5 years), it seems his term will be marked by the internal fighting for power within his party. Let's hope he gets more confident along the road and helps him juggle all this pressure groups.

Also, the most recent fuss appears to be that, since he rejected using the presidential palace because it's a colonial symbol (it was raised where Pizarro lived but the palace was actually built in 1938), he's conducting official meetings on a friend's house where he's staying in Lima, and no public records are being kept.

Obviously detractors are already calling for impeachment (since before he was sworn in, mind you) but even if it's being blown out of proportion, transparency wise doesn't look good, especially when fighting against corruption was one of his primary objectives.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

loving disgusting

Yes, that's Vox. You could pick any, literally any of their tweets or basically anything they've ever said or written and "loving disgusting" would sum it up pretty well.

But I personally think that also applies to most fascist and nationalist parties, though.

Hearing fellow Peruvians and Venezuelans openly defend voting for them during the last regional elections here in Catalonia just so "the reds don't win" could also be described with those two words.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
From what I've been hearing people are scared shitless of what the military will do. There's hope cooler heads will prevail since they aren't really on Castillo's boat and have never been but it's going to be chaos for a while.

Who the gently caress attemps a self-coup without the military is beyond me so the guy must be really desperate or even dumber than I thought.

One thing is certain, when the dust settles we're not going to have another "leftist" president for another 50 years. gently caress that guy.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I just watched the speech and you can see him trembling. He did bite more than he could chew.

The two line bio for Castillo is this: he's a left leaning rural school teacher who led a strike a few years back and was conned into being the candidate for a left wing party who's leader knew he could never be chosen because he could never stop saying dumb poo poo about Venezuela. Also he was about to be imprisoned.

Being both he and Perú Libre basically reactionary on certain issues (doing the gay is a big no no), he had to tone down the bullshit and got elected on second round riding the wave of antifujimorismo once again.

As soon as they got in power he had to wrestle his well meaning intentions with the nutjobs from his party who felt that he owed them and soon entire councils of ministers were resigning and only the wackos remained by his side. Add to that that Congress is a cesspool made to make this kind of goverments unstable, never forgetting that the country is still running on the constitution made by the last guy who self-couped himself.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
He couped himself to own the coupers.

The 1993 Constitution was born of a self-coup, it's a classic.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
VP already sworn in as president. poo poo's happening fast.

I still cannot fathom how he thought he could pull this off. He's had the worst advisors since day one but still, he must have had some agency on it.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Meanwhile in Perú, President Boluarte still argues she doesn't know what the protestors want. More people have died from police repression in her mandate than the total days passed since she was sworn in.

Who's fault is this? Well the government says the reason the South is in flames is due to "proselityzing" bolivians like Evo Morales crossing the Frontier and has denied them entry. I guess it's too far South to blame the Venezuelans this time.

There's still talk of a march to Lima but Perú is kinda big and the road there is long and lovely. The government has also said they won't allow them in. I don't see Boluarte making It to the april 2024 elections but sadly the body count will only rise until then.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well it's on the opposite coast; there's a lot of stuff between Venezuela and Peru. They'd have to do like a refugee raft convoy through the Panama Canal to get over there.

I'm not sure if you mean the South of Peru is far from Venezuela or that Peru itself is far from Venezuela. And no, Venezuelan refugees don't come or need to go in rafts, they came on foot, crossing the Ecuadorian border. While some attempted to go even farther south to Chile, UN estimates around 1,5 million Venezuelans migrated to Peru.

Not really willing to go into further details since this is hardly news material, at least in the latest Municipal elections held 5 years ago there were already candidates for the Mayor of Lima dumb enough to run on the "ban the Venezuelans" bill. As in forbid them to enter the country, and as it should be expected the Mayor of the capital city while being a juicy enough position, doesn't have the competencies to legislate on this.

Regarding the current Parliamentary support of the current government, while it might be better than for Castillo at least until now, it's not much. The Peruvian Parliament only directive is perpetuate themselves in their positons, and while this may also be true in any/all other Parliament it is especially true in a corrupt enough system.

In theory the Republic of Peru is a Presidential Republic but the way the Congress is set up, all recent presidents have ended being hostage of it and having to constantly waltz the impeachment threats. Political Parties mostly exist as a platform to elevate someone to the presidency and meanwhile get as many seats in Congress as possible, if they aren't succesful the party disappears and the candidates scatter to the nearest or found a new one.

Being a unicameral legislature doesn't help either as there is no control outside of the judiciary and you might guess how these are set up.

Also, if you want to explain recent peruvian politics I think this image is always mandatory, the current Mayor of Lima, back when he was campaigning for President (he was the runner up after Castillo and Fujimori):

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

i fly airplanes posted:

The Transmilenio is a major disgrace and absolutely worthless in Bogota, I have used it only once or twice on my visits. Most Colombians do not have nice things to say about it. Reminds me of the Metropolitano in Lima, which is similarly useless. Like Colombia, Peru's metro was also marred with corruption.

If one hasn't used it, Lima's Metropolitano could seem the same as the metro but it's just a line of buses that has it's own lane and the stops are like stations with turnmills, etc.

Off peak hours it can be useful if you want to go to certain places but otherwise can get crowded like sardines in a can.

There's also the "corredores" that work in a similar fashion but with regular buses and stops.

Lima's metro on the other hand currently has 1 Line that took 20 years to build. Trains go on time, mostly, and of course at peak hours it's so full central stations like la Cultura even have a semaphore outside where they only let groups of people in after trains depart.

Corruption is endemic of course but building a public transport system from scratch is something else.