Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

King Metal posted:

Small electronics, clothes. DX.com, banggood.com, aliexpress.com.

The EU has a similar thing going on with customs (apparently just slightly better functioning) and what I've found is that the various HK/China ebay sellers are very good at creatively minimizing your tax and duty liabilities. As opposed to, say, Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Magrov posted:

The full story is even better.

Arnon's target was 5 meters away from him. He shot 3 times, and missed all of them. The senator who died was a substitute senator, and the day he died was his last day as a senator.

Jeez, it was his last day before retirement and he wasn't even supposed to be there that day! Was he too old for this poo poo too?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Although IMO it's way more readable this way than a billion of embedded tweets. Thanks for posting it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So what they want is perestroika.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was planning on traveling to Guatemala this December and for onece decided to do some research in advacne and apparently things are popping off there. I don't speak Spanish but this is the tl;dr I came across:

quote:

The current government is attempting a coup against the recently elected president and his team, because the new elected officials ran on an anti-corruption platform and the old, incredibly corrupt powers are not willing to leave without a fight.
the blockades and closing of businesses are protests towards the old government and the wealthy elites who basically have finnanced them and other lovely governments for years

here's a longer article bythe Guardian:

quote:

Thousands of protestors have blocked roads across Guatemala in surging demonstrations to support the president-elect, Bernardo Arévalo, after the country’s highest court upheld a move by prosecutors to suspend his political party over alleged voter registration fraud.

Arévalo, an anti-corruption crusader who won a landslide victory in the August election, has denounced the suspension as a “coup” aimed neutralizing him before he takes office in January, and his supporters are demanding the resignation of the prosecutors responsible. Street blockades that started this week grew from 14 on Monday to 58 road and highway blockages Friday.

Arévalo and electoral authorities had challenged the suspension of his Seed Movement party in late August, arguing that the allegations of voter or registration fraud are criminal charges and that by suspending the party the prosecutors were intruding on electoral issues.

The constitutional court ruled Thursday that even though the case involves criminal accusations, prosecutors can impose measures that have electoral effects.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/06/guatemala-protests-president-elect-bernardo-arevalo

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 7, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just catching up on this since there are already a few wars to keep track on. Can we get giant mess going on each continent now?

TBH it does seem like Maduro is bluffing/blustering. Especially since how exactly are they going to invade? It all looks like a giant impassible jungle and I don't think they have massive amphibious assault capability. Plus if Exxon pulls out (which they will) and they get sanctioned, what is even the point?

If Maduro is actually stupid (or desperate?) enough... is anyone stopping him? Seems like a completely blatant violation and something the UN should step in but of course Russia being their buddy it would be impotent again. Brazil would probably have the capability but I don't really see Lula doing anything. A quick "Jungle Storm" would solve it but Biden doesn't seem like the guy to do it. So lol.

i say swears online posted:

we weren't at war with Vietnam or Iraq or Afghanistan either but that didn't stop us from trying to kill a whole lot of them
Is the USAF bombing Russia now? Are the Marines landing in Crimea? What did I miss?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: Let's goooo :siren:

quote:

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro on Tuesday directed the country’s state-owned companies to “immediately” begin to explore and exploit the oil, gas and mines in Guyana’s Essequibo region, a territory larger than Greece and rich in oil and minerals that Venezuela claims as its own.

The announcement came a day a day after Maduro got the victory he sought in a weekend referendum on whether to claim sovereignty over the region.

Maduro said he would “immediately” proceed “to grant operating licenses for the exploration and exploitation of oil, gas and mines in the entire area of our Essequibo.” He also ordered the creation of local subsidiaries of Venezuelan public companies, including oil giant PDVSA and mining conglomerate Corporación Venezolana de Guayana.

It is not clear how the Maduro administration intends to implement the idea of exercising jurisdiction over the territory once it’s officially declared part of Venezuela through a law that is to be soon discussed by the National Assembly, which is controlled by the ruling party.
https://apnews.com/article/venezuela-guyana-essequibo-territory-dispute-maduro-referendum-20d923994e30da1812997f22c2036f88

VitalSigns posted:

This is true but I don't see how it's relevant. The US is spending a great deal of money fighting a proxy war against Russia, something that (imo) Russia erroneously gambled US planners would not have the ability and/or desire to do. I think it would be a mistake for Maduro to make a similar assumption.

The nature of the war, whether US soldiers are dying, whether there was a formal declaration, etc don't affect my point as far as I can see.
It's relevant because the US is not at war with Russia, and not in some "police action" weasly way. It's just not, any more than Latvia is at war with Russia.

Sure, some chuds are mad about it because they love Trump/Russia, but sending surplus junk to Ukraine isn't in any way the same thing as a) risking your own people b) supplying the entire army on the other end of the world for two decades. That said I have no idea what the public support might be for intervention if they even know what a Guyana is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

A proxy war is a type of war. The relevant question isn't whether the US is at war with Russia (it hasn't been at war with anyone in a very long time), or whether the US's involvement in the war rises to the level of police action, it's whether it makes sense to assume the US isn't able to intervene at all. Would you say the Soviet Union didn't have to worry about what America would do when it invaded Afghanistan since the proxy war America fought with them there wasnt the police actiony kind of war? It was obviously still a problem for them!

Even if the US is only able to expel Venezuela from Guyana with a proxy war by putting together a regional coalition and supplying then without any American boots on the ground that would still be a problem for Maduro.

I get the urge to score some kind of technical point on exact wording on the internet, but you're not even technically correct, here. A proxy war is a type of war, it's on the spectrum of involvement In a war that I was talking about being a possible concern for Maduro.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, its different its why its called a "proxy war"

Most wars among empires have been like that at least since the cold war
I'm not trying to argue about the semantics and definitions of words.

I think we're actually in agreement on the borader point - it'd be extremely dumb for Maduro to assume the US couldn't kick his rear end too (but see previous post) just becaus Biden sent 31 tanks to Ukraine.

I just find these statements to be... not very helpful in general but also in this discussion

quote:

The US itself has not actually been at war with anyone since Japan surrendered in '45 what's your point.

i say swears online posted:

we weren't at war with Vietnam or Iraq or Afghanistan either but that didn't stop us from trying to kill a whole lot of them
Just because congress never delcared war, doesn't mean that the committed of logistics, resources and manpower in, say, Vietnam, and to Ukraine are in the same universe.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
omg I missed this as well

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/police-charge-director-miss-nicaragua-pageant-running-beauty-105326111

VitalSigns posted:

Nobody said they were.

Those responses were pointing out how facile the statement "the US itself is not actually at war with Russia" was in a discussion about whether the US is capable of intervening in a war at all.
I don't think it's facile at all. But I went back to see where this argument started and I don't think we need to be continuing it at all, so let's resolve this dispute diplomatically :v:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh, Im pretty sure the USA could obliterate Venezuela. The whole south america if they wanted. Having a military budget bigger than the whole loving world added togheter has to be worth something

At the same time, Im pretty sure the USA is sending more than a few pieces of junk to Ukraine, as they are now saying they cant afford it to keep sending help much longer. Also, the USA is now sending weapons to Israel too, inst it?
Sure that was a bit hyperolic but, like, it's literally thirty one tanks. Not three hundred or thousands. Maybe a dozen refurbished F-16s (actually from the Dutch?). A decent amount of shells and MLRS production for sure though. Plus maybe some missiles and bombs to Israel? That seem more performative than anything, they can flatten Gaza on their own just fine. Meanwhille the navy and air force are sitting around doing nothing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok this seems like new escalation, or at least updated from the last news post:

quote:

In what is likely to further inflame tensions in the hemisphere, Venezuelan ruler Nicolás Maduro announced Tuesday the creation of a new military zone that would be in charge of defending an oil -and mineral-rich territory of neighboring Guyana that he’s claiming belongs to his nation. Maduro also designated a general, Alexis Rodríguez Cabello, as the sole authority of the Essequibo, a chunk of land in Guyana slightly smaller than the state of Florida. He also ordered that the more than 125,000 Guyanese living in the area, which is mostly jungle, be granted Venezuelan citizenship.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/venezuela/article282724653.html#storylink=cpy

These are pretty serious concrete steps towards annexing the territory. Probably a good time for Lula or someone to make a clear statement about this.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 6, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did they find any Nazis in Guyana yet?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

biglads posted:

Did any of the spooks behind Jonestown stay there?
That was in Guyana yes, or do you mean if anyone involved is still there? No idea.

Gucci Loafers posted:

Do they have any air force or modern military equipment? Are Venezuela soldiers willing to fight in this war? Does Guyana have any allies that would pitch in or at least lend support?
Who, Venezuela? They have some old F-16s and Su-30s probably some functional ground vehicles too.

My city has more cops and equipment than Guyana has military. I feel like Lula would be against the invasion but I wouldn't count on him intervening either.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Enver Zogha posted:

Nah, there aren't any. As someone who has read pretty much every book on Peoples Temple out there, communicated with a few of the survivors, and occasionally helps out the husband and wife team who run the Alternative Considerations of Jonestown website, I'd be glad to answer any questions relating to the subject.

Once in a while there's suggestions in Guyana to transform the location of the settlement into a tourist spot, but it never gets anywhere since barely anything from the settlement still exists, it would cost a lot of money, there's no guarantee whatsoever that it'd pay off, lots of Guyanese don't like the association of their country with a thousand dead Americans, and any deterioration of relations with Venezuela could easily ruin what tourist revenue might exist.

It's generally assumed among the reasons the Guyanese government had agreed to the creation of the original settlement was to strengthen claims to the disputed region (on the premise Jonestown would prosper) and also make the United States reluctant to side with Venezuela if it meant American lives would be potentially endangered.
Thanks! I only know the basiscs, are there any good (credible) books you'd recommend?

:getin:
(the linked statement)

quote:

In collaboration with the Guyana Defence Force (GDF), the U.S. Southern Command (USSOUTHCOM) will conduct flight operations within Guyana on December 7. This exercise builds upon routine engagement and operations to enhance security partnership between the United States and Guyana, and to strengthen regional cooperation.

In addition to this exercise, USSOUTHCOM will continue its collaboration with the GDF in the areas of disaster preparedness, aerial and maritime security, and countering transnational criminal organizations.

The U.S. will continue its commitment as Guyana’s trusted security partner and promoting regional cooperation and interoperability.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm let's see if it gets spicy again. I changed a trip from Guatemala and Honduras earlier to Costa Rica now because of massive protests and blockades that wete happening then. I've been asking around and apparently things have calmed down back to normal, but this could certainly get some people upset. But I think it's good?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Who runs on corruption

Everyone!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so I'm in Guatemala right now. Like physically.

A few months ago there were huge protests including all major roads being blockaded. It seems that whatever is happening in response to the ruling hasn't resulted in any disturbance so far. I'll try to chat up some locals but my spanish is non-existent so I might get an unrepresentative sample of opinions but we'll see.

E: as for "anti-corruption", yeah that was a red flag to me as well. It's not something I can support statistically but in my Eastern-European experience this has been a code-word for "we're gonna be extremely corrupt lol". Maybe it's not even intentional on their behalf, like if all the state systems and structures are already completely hosed, but in the end that seems to happen... a lot.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 13, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Argentina's economy seems like such a clusterfuck that I'm not even sure more idiotic policies can make it significantly worse at this point

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OK that's more like it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't heard much about the Guyana situation, now it seems the UK is going to send a warship there: https://news.sky.com/story/uk-sends-warship-to-south-america-amid-guyana-tensions-with-venezuela-13037291

I don't think it's going to actually do anything other than the implication but that's a good idea. We should've done it with Ukraine.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 25, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dek posted:

Today the fuel went up for the third time since Milei's mandate began. They are also raising taxes on independent workers.

gently caress this poo poo goverment

How much does it cost now? This page says $0.8/l which is :lol: probably shouldn't have been subsidizing fossil fuels

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Argentina/gasoline_prices/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Negostrike posted:

What in the name of gently caress are you doing in a warzone
Caro proved it's a good idea.

Also I assume it wasn't a warzone when OP went there. Scanning the article it seems poo poo started popping off on Monday.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Well, not under all circumstances, like if there is a right wing populist president and you are :airquote: Political Activist :airquote:

Or get catfished on tinder, no Seals to bust you out

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-67947333

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Arevalo finally took office after all the attempts to prevent that, protests, legal challenges, and everything else.

quote:

GUATEMALA CITY, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Anti-corruption crusader Bernardo Arevalo was sworn in as Guatemala's president in the early hours of Monday after a chaotic inauguration that was delayed for hours by a last-ditch attempt by Congress opponents to weaken his authority.

The latest in a series of legislative setbacks triggered by opponents underscored the challenges Arevalo faces as leader of Central America's most populous nation, to which he has pledged to bring sweeping reforms and tackle the rising cost of living and violence, key drivers of migration to the United States.

Arevalo won August elections by a landslide and about 9 hours after his inauguration was scheduled to start, he took the oath as president, replacing conservative politician Alejandro Giammattei whose government has been engulfed in corruption scandals. Giammattei skipped the ceremony.

"Our democracy has the strength to resist and through unity and trust we can transform the political landscape in Guatemala," Arevalo said moments after taking office.

"Never again will there be human rights violations," he added, as hundreds of supporters gathered in the capital's Plaza de la Constitucion to sing, dance and celebrate.
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/guatemalas-arevalo-due-assume-presidency-with-difficult-path-ahead-2024-01-14/

Well let's hope there are indeed no more human rights violations ever again :allears:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Strikes and protests in Argentina over Milei's planned changes:

quote:

Thousands swarm Buenos Aires' streets to protest Milei’s reforms
Thousands flooded the streets and avenues surrounding Congress during a mass protest on Wednesday in Buenos Aires organised by the CGT, one of the nation’s oldest and most powerful union groups.
Argentina’s labour movement is testing popular support for President Javier Milei’s austerity blitz in a national strike less than two months into his presidency.

Thousands of Argentines flooded the streets and avenues surrounding Congress during a mass protest Wednesday in Buenos Aires organised by the CGT, one of the nation’s oldest and most powerful union groups. The events of the day will help set the tenor of debate as the libertarian economist attempts to slash the size of the state in a bid to tame triple-digit inflation. A key vote on part of that agenda was postponed by lawmakers until next week.

The government projected a sense of calm from afar. “Some thousands striking, some millions working,” Presidential Spokesman Manuel Adorni tweeted, while Milei — from his official residence in the outskirts of the capital — posted a chart showing money in circulation and the central bank’s liabilities. Security Minister Patricia Bullrich was set to meet with the president later Wednesday about the security response, with her office estimating there were only 40,000 strikers in the street.

Protesters concentrated around Avenida de Mayo and cut off the city’s widest avenue, 9 de Julio, despite strict measures against street blockades Bullrich announced in December. The crowd gathered to watch the principal union leaders deliver a brief address in the early afternoon and began to disperse afterward. In attendance were various Peronist political leaders, including Buenos Aires Province Governor Axel Kicillof, and members of the country’s biggest unions carrying flags and playing drums.
Milei has stuck to the bombastic rhetoric of his campaign but also taken a pragmatic turn by withdrawing a proposal to privatise state-owned oil company YPF SA from his package of legislative reforms. The bill’s passage will be crucial for his government to meet targets laid out by the International Monetary Fund in its latest review of Argentina’s US$44-billion aid programme, the multilateral lender’s largest.

“Depending on how many people they mobilise, the union will be able to demonstrate how much weight it carries at the negotiating table,” political analyst Raúl Timerman said in an interview. “If the protest is massive, lawmakers will have a harder time voting in favour of the government. But if the protest fails, it will make clear Milei still counts on the support of the population.”
https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argentina/thousands-swarm-buenos-aires-streets-to-protest-mileis-reforms.phtml

Seems like he backed off on some issues but :shrug:

Could we get an update from the Argentinian goon(s) on the ground?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Aerial evidence follows months of President Nicolás Maduro ramping up claim to Essequibo region

Venezuela is expanding military bases near its border with Guyana and deploying forces to the jungle frontier as President Nicolás Maduro ramps up his threats to annex the country’s oil-rich neighbour, satellite images have revealed.

Maduro pledged at mediation talks in December not to take military action against his neighbour but images shared by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington today suggest a buildup of forces.

Christopher Hernandez-Roy, deputy director of CSIS’s Americas programme, said: “The same day that the Venezuelan foreign minister is meeting with Guyanese diplomats, the Venezuelan military is conducting tank drills just a stone’s throw from Guyana. All of this tells us Maduro is pursuing a duplicitous policy.”
https://theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/09/venezuela-troops-guyana-border-essequibo-satellite-images
Surely it's just a show of force this time

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Of course not, that's just western warmongering again, he'd never do such a thing :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well there's also russia if you need a recent example