Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
South America is probably my least understood region, but now I need to know stuff about Argentina. Where can I learn a little bit about the current situation there? Something quick to build a base I can work out from. Good documentaries, recent detailed articles, effort posts, that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:confuoot:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:stare:

quote:

The body of AMIA special prosecutor Alberto Nisman was found in the bathroom of his apartment in the Buenos Aires City neighbourhood of Puerto Madero late on Sunday.

Nisman, who was expected to take part in a closed-door hearing in Congress on Monday to reveal the details of explosive allegations that involved President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner and Foreign Minister Héctor Timerman, was found minutes before midnight.

Nisman reportedly committed suicide, according to sources, who say he was found in a pool of blood. That information has yet to be confirmed.

Nisman, who was appointed 10 years ago by the by the president’s late husband Néstor Kirchner, had revealed to some members of the opposition that he was ready to appear at the congressional hearing with more documents to back his allegations.

Nisman had accused Fernández de Kirchner of ordering impunity for the Iranian suspects in the 1994 AMIA attack in order to boost trade with Tehran. According to Nisman, Argentina wanted to import oil and export grains Iran.

Government allies had been pushing for today’s congressional hearing to be open to the public.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/179900/amia-special-prosecutor-alberto-nisman-found-dead-in-his-puerto-madero-home

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hecko posted:

There's one too in The Ray Parlour.

Libertadores coming up, bitches. Go Palestino.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SexyBlindfold posted:

I miss the days when Palestino still had players of palestinean descent and the team basically served as half of the National Football Team of Palestine.

There's nothing particularly noteworthy about current Palestino. I mean, other than this.

Yeah, I know. I follow Corinthians, but of course I hope Palestino exceeds expectations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rockopete posted:

I've been following the Nisman story but not this thread. I checked and didn't see this posted.

Dead Argentine Prosecutor Had Draft Warrant for President

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/04/world/americas/argentina-prosecutor-alberto-nisman-arrest-warrant-cristina-de-kirchner.html

I'm not super familiar with Argentinean (Argentine?) politics, but from what I've heard, Cristina Kirchner was a sleazy, corrupt, authoritarian shitheel long before Nisman was shot. Is this a correct impression?
With that and this article in mind, how likely is it that Kirchner had a hand in Nisman's death? Seems pretty clear to me but again I lack a lot of context and background awareness.

:tviv:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rockopete posted:

Thanks, and agreed, that would suck and I hope it doesn't come to that. It does seem an awfully clumsy way to 'deal' with Nisman, since it puts suspicion on her, though perhaps she or others were panicking?

Disbanding/rearranging the intelligence agency is definitely a smokescreen no matter who is guilty though, right? As an American it's pretty mind-blowing to think that dissolving the intelligence establishment could be done as a distraction.

Well they may have thought they hired a professional who wouldn't just throw incriminating documents in the dudes trash after the fact.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Man, Kirchner is really on a roll lately.

"Aloz" being arroz (rice), and "petloleo" being petroleo (petroleum). She's in China, you see.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Reports that Kirchner has been charged with money laundering.

quote:

Cristina Fernandez, who stepped down as president of Argentina in December after eight years in office, has been charged by a prosecutor with money laundering, local media reported on Saturday.

The decision follows testimony on Friday by businessman Leonardo Farina, who in a plea bargain implicated Fernandez and her late husband and former President Nestor Kirchner in a case related to money laundering and embezzling funds earmarked for public works.

Julio De Vido, a longtime Fernandez and Kirchner ally and former minister, was also charged, local newspapers Clarin and La Nacion reported, citing judicial sources.

Reuters could not immediately confirm the charges with the prosecutor's office.

Last Tuesday, another Fernandez ally, businessman Lazaro Baez, was arrested for questioning as part of the same investigation.

Fernandez, 63, is due to answer questions in court on Wednesday over a separate probe into the sale of U.S. dollar futures contracts at below-market rates by the central bank during her administration.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-argentina-court-idUSKCN0X60SP

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

She has to be convicted by the Senate but I think while they deliberate on it she's technically suspended from being president.

Is it the senate who does it? I saw something about this subjecting her to a trial for impeachment, so I assumed there would be a court process.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Video of vote 342

http://g1.globo.com/politica/processo-de-impeachment-de-dilma/cobertura-ao-vivo.html#/glb-feed-post/57144274c22d621c73824d80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/938890465482551298