Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

computer parts posted:

I heard Costa Rica was also pretty nice, or are you just counting South America?

We live well and apparently also rank pretty highly in Happiness Indexes, but then again we had the major advantage of having no wars, significant guerrillas or violent change of power since 1948.

We also, however, suffer from a lot of Latin America's shortcomings, especially on an institutional level after the 80s. The general level of the political discourse is IMO quite low, too.

e: So I really want a general LatAm thread, let's try to talk about something other than Chile.

Enrique Peña Nieto's government proposes to shift the police force from a municipal level to a state level after the utter shitstorm that Iguala has been.
This doesn't sound like the worst of plans to combat local corruption, but how effective can it be in states far away from D.F.? I guess it also depends on how much you should trust your state government.

Chewbaccanator fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

Costa Rica is really good at PR. Their standard of living is well below that of Chile or Panama. El Salvador and Mexico have more diversified and wealthier economies too. Costa Rica is all about tourism, which they do well. It's kind of Latin America Lite - mostly white population, no military, little violent crime (although rampant property crime). Ticos have the reputation for being the laziest, smuggest people in Central America.

Can confirm, am lazy and smug.

For real though, pretty much every tico believes that our country is a special little snowflake, when in reality we're much more similar than we like to admit to our neighbors. I for one, cannot fathom how Central American integration has historically been such a failed process.

Also if Nicaragua's whole channel thing comes through at least somewhat functionally, we're gonna be looking at two much more dynamic economies on both borders, say what you will about Ortega's deal with the Chinese. Maybe then some people will get their heads out of their asses.

e:

Gough Suppressant posted:

If the independent forensic reports come back and say the remains found weren't the students then Peña is left with zero credibility. Maybe the reason that the AG hasn't already resigned is because they want him to be around to take the fall if the tests come back negative to try and isolate some of the damage from the president?

This is what I'm fearing. A scapegoat in an attempt to brush the whole deal under the carpet and continue not confronting the amount of organized crime in regional government spells disaster to me, but I really don't know what Peña Nieto could do instead. As if him taking the blame/stepping down would do anything to address the underlying causes.

Chewbaccanator fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 28, 2014

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
So apparently the whole Ríos Montt retrail in Guatemala has been temporarily suspended because the judge that was assigned to the case was deemed not to be impartial.

I just hope the fucker doesn't croak before they find him guilty all over again...
Because there's no way they'll find him innocent... Right guys?

:ohdear:

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Man sometimes you're happy that the assholes stealing money and shadily controlling everything dont have guns and tanks in your little backwater banana republic.

At least not as many as you guys in the South.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
The more I hear about Uruguay the more I think they're our richer, more urban, better organized counterparts in the south.

Everyone back home can't stop talking about Mujica, either. What are the prospects for Tabaré?

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Come on nice colorful bills are the way to go.

Have you seen Euros? They're godawful, I'd rather stick to my rainbow-colored butterflies thank you very much.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

fnox posted:

Venezuela actually needs a 500 bolivar bill and they never got around to design it and print it. Everything about our money is stupid, the limit per withdrawal on an ATM in Venezuela is 600 bolivares (A dollar is 860 bolivares), and for whatever loving reason the workaround for that was just allow you to withdraw 6 times per day rather than withdraw more money per transaction. So you have to wait in line for 20 loving minutes waiting for some rear end in a top hat to withdraw a whooping 3 and a half dollars worth of bolivares :cry:.

Seems untenable with the record inflation you've got going. How prevalent is credit card use in Venezuela?

e:

Chewbaccanator fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 19, 2016

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Dias posted:

Hey, it has TWO different denominations on the same bill, AMAZING.

Prize goes to the guy that brings one with 3 denominations.
Looking at you, Argentinians.

e: ok lol you Brazilians have had a zillion currencies I didn't know about.

Chewbaccanator fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 19, 2016

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Putting stuff like this up to a referendum is incredibly stupid. It undermines any possible criticism because DEMOCRACY, while also being a huge waste of resources.

I mean, we elect representative governments for a reason, guys. Hope Colombia can move past this.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I really want to know if they made that decision this week or last.

Norwegian dude 1: "Wait guys the deal has to be ratified by referendum!"

Norwegian dude 2: "Come on man, they can't be that stupid."

:CryingBolivar:

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Reagan lied, Sandinistas died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

ronya posted:

ethnic cleansing