Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The general idea of 1 & 2 seem reasonable enough, maybe adjust some specific payouts. 3 seems like you just need to allow overtime and the other stuff about working from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Typo posted:

Is there any real disadvantage of a generous unemployment welfare system vs rigorous regulation of hiring/firing in the chilean context or in general?

I guess to prevent hiring scabs? It makes punishment for strikes harder, for sure.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stalins Moustache posted:

What the gently caress is it with south-american right wing politicans always looking like sleazy caricatures of the typical western rich man? :psyduck:

The rich Spaniards didn't mix races much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Viktor Laszlo posted:

Chile is the nicest country to live in Latin America and has a relatively efficient and honest bureaucracy compared to all of their neighbors.

I heard Costa Rica was also pretty nice, or are you just counting South America?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

El Chingon posted:

It seems that drug cartels are now using drones loaded with drugs to cross the border.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/in-english/2015/drone-carrying-drugs-falls-down-in-tijuana-100426.html

guess they beat Amazon Prime Air.

Drones are robbing good honest working class people of jobs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

The Mexican government should probably just legalize the sale and distribution of all drugs straight up, because it's 100% the United States' fault that this is a thing and would shift the problem entirely onto us

Wouldn't really solve the problem since the drugs are mainly going to the US and it'd still be illegal to ship drugs there.

Also a lot of what the cartels sell aren't really stuff that is looking to be legalized (i.e., cocaine and meth).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nerdz posted:

You guys remember how fun was D&D during the 2012 London Olympic Games?

next year in rio is going to be so, so much better.

From the URL I thought it was going to be a poor people screed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mans posted:

brazil is cool and good, it's just that they're massively corrupt, they kill homosexuals and trans people by the thousands, they are incredibly conservative and violent torwards women but then want them to almost always be butt naked in parades and TV...

brazil is just confusing, okay?

Sounds like America.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

i wonder if future military dictatorships will imprison people for using memes.

They'll at least censor the internet over them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thesaurus posted:

Can anyone recommend any books (English or Spanish) about how central America (specifically El Salvador, Honduras, qmd Guatemala) has gotten to be such a poo poo show? Gangs, drugs, history, politics, foreign policy, etc.

I know this region has had its share of problems, but El Salvador and Honduras sound like they are disintegrating at the moment. Literally more violent and chaotic than during bloody civil wars.

Also interested in any good books on the narcos in Mexico et al.

Seeking Refuge touches on the instability in Central America in the 70s and 80s although it's primarily about the refugee crisis in Mexico, the US, and Canada:

http://www.amazon.com/Seeking-Refuge-Central-American-Migration/dp/0520247019/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The US in the late 19th Century was - if anything - more corrupt than the average Latin American country today and it took a crazy dude shooting the President before we actually got off our asses and made a real Civil Service system.