Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Hey Brazilgoons , one guy attracted my attention with his description:

-Joćo Lyra, once Brazil's richest member of Parliament.-

sounds like a fun one, any stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Magrov posted:

He was born in a traditiona family, got really rich in the sugarcane/alcohol industry, used to be one of the richest person in the northeast, rumors say he got away with a few murders in the late 80's. He was the father in law of Pedro Collor, used to be a senator, currently is a congressmen, his brother is a senator, and he had business links with current senate president Renan Calheiros.

His business empire collapsed in the mid 00's (one of the accusations that is still pending in the supreme court is that he and his brother kept a few employees in conditions "analogue to slavery"). he managed to keep it afloat by getting loans, but eventually his debtors managed to declare his bankruptcy. he owns over 2 billion reais to various banks and debtors, and his health is going to poo poo because he's really old and not really used to being poor.

Thanks. :) I guess he will probably die before seeing any effect from this?

(sugarcane? "analogue to slavery"? An honest-to-goodness plantation owner or what?)

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks a bunch guys, these are very interesting facts.

Did this agrarian overlord class manage well the transfer into the new economy? This Lyra guy seems like it did not go as planned.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
I'm actually a little stumped that the christofascists allowed the election to happen. After all the violence they did last time, I expected them to just go full pinochet on the MAS leaders.

Are they much weaker than they blustered? Reactionaries, paper tigers, etc.?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for all the answers, gentlegoons! :tipshat:

So now we look forward to Morales' triumphant return and transformation into an elder statesman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Dying in, or dying out of a helicopter is the distinction, I think.