Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Hi OP I think you have some legitimate gripes about how things are in Latin America (corrupt parties, weak institutions, etc.) but I think you've misplaced a lot of your anger. Calling for a US carrier group (seriously wtf) is a terrible idea, the Americans aren't going to airdrop liberal western norms into children's minds even if they were so inclined. Foreign intervention in Latin America has almost always been done to serve the worst, and most reactionary, parts of the oligarchy. We are talking about a legacy of hundreds of thousands murdered, "disappeared", tortured, etc. Military governments were also largely quite incompetent at economic matters, and Pinochet's rule was no panacea either (it partly looks so good on economic terms because around it every other dictatorship ran the economy into the ground repeatedly, while Pinochet banked that sweet copper money).

You may not like Bachelet (and there's a lot to criticise about her) but please remember that constitutional rule and human rights are pretty neat things to have and if that means dealing with strikes then that's a small price to pay compared with things like the Plan Cóndor or Operación Charly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Every day OP wakes up and is disappointed that the newspaper doesn't run a headline like:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
A few days ago the Bolivian foreign ministry said that there are talks to have a Morales-Obama meeting in order to reestablish relations (broken in 2008). I suppose that the developments in regards to Cuba will only solidify this. Venezuela would be the only outlier if Washington exchanges ambassadors with La Paz and Havana.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

Argentina (and Uruguay) are the most white-bread countries in the Western Hemisphere. Most sources I read say that Argentina's population is 97% white - mostly of Italian, Spanish, and German descent.
But all the Bolivians are driving the country into ruin!!!!!

all 1% of them

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
In regards to Nisman and what is obviously his murder, it is important to note that there is a deep internal conflict between the Argentine intelligence agencies, particularly within the ex-SIDE, as well as Army intelligence. The intelligence services are the only part of the military who have not had their budgets left to wither to inflation, and they're quite powerful behind the scenes. The new Chief of the Army is the former army intelligence boss, and he's been beset by accusations of involvement in the dirty war (and is most certainly guilty in some degree, there are witnesses who place him inside clandestine detention and torture centers). I don't know if he had anything to do with this, but it goes to the general context that these are institutions that operate how they want and with a fair degree of insulation from the rest of the state.

Both the AMIA and Israeli embassy bombing investigations had a very tough going from the beginning, and they have not made much progress. The intelligence services have been involved from the start. The whole thing with Iran was a cock up that went nowhere.

It's rather tenuous and fantastical to think that the President ordered this man killed, but it is evident that he clearly knew something, or was extremely close to discovering something important. This is probably an internal fix.

E:

Markovnikov posted:

I'm guessing this refers to the folk legend around here that the seventh male son of a family will turn into a werewolf ("lobezno" is used in this particular instance, even if the word "hombre lobo" already exists). Unless adopted by the president of turn, somehow. It's something that actually happens, they get a little certificate and everything.
This is because a hundred and fifty years ago the 7th male son of a family would be pretty much destined to be a social pariah. At the very least get beaten up at school etc. At worst killed or driven to live in the mountains or something. The tradition of the president becoming the godfather (or godmother, now) is so that nobody would gently caress with these poor kids (given that there was no foundation, surprisingly, that these kids would turn into werewolves). It's obviously just a silly photo op for a slow news day now.

Ghost of Mussolini fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 19, 2015

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Yes it's now been confirmed that he only had that weapon in his possession for a few hours before killing himself. The weapon (a. 22 caliber pistol ) wasn't his property or registered to him in any way. The president has published a letter in which she defends herself and her administration's conduct, obviously, and also slings a lot of accusations around and keeps banging the media conspiracy drum. Nothing new.

There were marches in every major city pretty much. There was even a march in Punta del Este :cryingmediopelo:

The investigation has not ruled out an "induced suicide"

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Barcelona is the only newspaper I could actually trust.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

What's that picture of?

It's a screenshot from an airport computer, that's basically the original feed of the electronic record of the purchase. It shows that Damian Ezequiel Patcher bought a ticket to Uruguay.

And to be fair, there isn't actually any firm evidence that Iran was actually directly involved. All that they have been able to uncover is Hezbollah-front Jihad al Islami having done it. Iranian intelligence probably at least knew about it, but nobody has been able to prove anything either.

What I'm trying to say is that it was a combination of Mossad, the back-up news anchor for TN at 3 in the morning, and almirante Rojas.

e: pachter - thatcher

Ghost of Mussolini fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 26, 2015

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Regarding the Nisman debacle. The President went on TV for about an hour during primetime. The important statement is that the Secretariat of Intelligence is going to be disbanded and replaced with a "Federal Intelligence Agency", which will have some of its powers transferred away to other institutions, and will have more oversight from Congress and the Judicial branch in general. Whether any of this will actually work out as promised or whether it will just be a shell game of shifting spies around is anyone's guess. She also spoke at length about her theories at to what is going on with the case, and those bits were rather sad really. Its just conspiracy theorycrafting at this point and no different to what people are just sitting around saying on tv (or at a bar or whatever, given the elaboration the level of evidence presented). Obviously the opposition has taken the opportunity gladly and they're running all over the place saying how poo poo the speech was etc.

In English, the Guardian ran a bit of an overview piece. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/27/argentina-intelligence-secretariat-shady-history
The Buenos Aires Herald is also a decent source if you can't manage Spanish at all and are interested in what's going on.

:sax:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Nonsense posted:

The Putin of the South.
Time to recover Uruguay! :hist101:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Polidoro posted:

Also if Argentina invaded Uruguay it would be a giant fist fight because none of the countries have any weapons.

We will send in the crack grandmother suicide bomber battalion from Gualeguaychú and they wont stand a chance.

e: there is a Venezuela thread also in D&D, but other than that I don't think so.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to pick off the rest of Paraguay? Uruguay has a nice thing going. I studied there for a semester, and would love to go back to pick up a little house and drink mate all day.

But the entire population of Paraguay already lives in Buenos Aires, in Villa 31.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

rockopete posted:

Argentinean (Argentine?)
:spergin: Argentine! Argentina is not a word that exists in English per se, and comes from the Spanish version of the Latin argentum (silver). "La Argentina" is an old as gently caress poem from colonial times talking about the land, omitting the subject from the title. "Argentina" has always been a descriptor of the land/republic/confederation/people, but not the actual point of reference in itself. In English, Argentina used to be known as "the Argentine" up until the post-war period. As far as I can tell from documents and texts from that time (NOT AN EXPERT), Americans tended to use "Argentina" a lot more than the British at that point. :spergin:

Menem lo hizo!

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
vamos carajo

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
In that respect, it doesn't actually matter. The Chinese state press didn't report on it, the Chinese government doesn't care, and the business interests involved likely don't care either.

It makes her look like an idiot, sure, but its not going to affect the economics.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Azran posted:

Did anyone else hear what Lilita Carrio has been saying lately? That auto coup d' etat and all that.
The auto-golpe thing isn't about violence on the streets etc, if anything of that sort happens (I don't think it will) it would be something akin to the fujigolpe. However I don't think its possible, Argentine institutions may have deteriorated considerably, but its not 1992 Peru.

The atgm thing is all very silly, its practically unusable. Much more worrying is all the 9mm pistol ammo they stole near Rosario.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I don't think that sort of bait would work however. As trollish as it is (and it would be effective in that regard) I believe that at the decision-making level of the opposition parties, cooler heads would prevail. Carrio might make a huge fuss about it now (and would make a huge fuss about it when/if it happens), but she wouldn't actually go through with any sort of action that is unconstitutional or anti-democratic. I think that Macri, Sanz, etc. would all also refrain from such things. Everyone knows that the K wing of the party is done, and anyone who supports them by now will have to wait at least one or two electoral cycles before they can come back from being mayor of Resistencia. This move would not be done by a powerful Christina fresh from elections and with years to go in power, but by someone in a horribly deteriorating position who everyone knows will be out of office sooner rather than later. Any designation of laws or positions that are not done through the proper codified channels (i.e. not as law through Congress but through executive powers etc.) can be reversed just as easily as they are implemented. All the people that have been appointed through such methods during the K years will just be removed and replaced as they replaced the ones before them, and so on and so on. If Christina does do something completely ridiculous like re-staff the entire judicial branch through emergency commissions then its all going to be paralyzed by strikes and such action. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see what constructive moves are left from the position of the Presidency and its rapidly-shrinking base of support.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Castells Presidente.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Sick_Boy posted:

I think the big distinction to make is that Porteños (people from Buenos Aires) are white as gently caress, but Argentina is quite large and there are a lot of mestizo communities- still well below the rest of Latin America's average ratio of non-white people, though. And there is a very real cultural difference between Porteños and the rest of Argentinians. Most negative stereotypes that other Latin Americans have regarding Argentinians are actually about Porteños.

Uruguay, on the other hand, is white-bread as they come, and the casual racism of both countries is astonishing. Oh, and Uruguay genocided its indigenous population.

As for understanding Argentina, I can only describe it as The Country that Should Have Been Great. Seriously, they have the resources, manpower, and skill to be a powerhouse, yet they keep getting hosed over again and again by their leadership.
the hundred dollar bill of my heart

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

I think those may be going out of print? There's a series of $100 with Evita on them, and if I remember correctly they are going to replace them.
Yes they're to be replaced by the Evita ones. The same with Sarmiento being replaced by the Malvinas one. The entire point of them being issued is that they can re-issue the entire serial number set, and therefore they can keep printing bills and increasing circulation in order to meet inflation, without having to print higher than 100 peso nomination.

Markovnikov posted:

When I went to the numismatic museum (I know, I know) in Buenos Aires, they told the story of all the currencies we had had. One in particular was pretty funny: they started doing the bills with the faces of presidents on them, in chronological order. But then, good ole Inflation started, and they had to keep printing bigger bills with newer presidents. Until they actually ran out of presidents/caught up with the present.
What you are referring to here is the Austral, the highest denomination was 500,000 with Manuel Quintana (formally withdrawn in 1993), and its not so much that they caught up to the present, but rather that they ran out of presidents that were politically acceptable/non-controversial to put on the money. Thankfully Carlitos came along.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Sick_Boy posted:

I swear to god, few things are as baffling to me as the history of Argentinian politics and economy. I mean, they SHOULD be a big power in terms of resources, they SHOULD be so much more, and yet... for some reason I cannot truly comprehend, they keep loving themselves over, and I'm down to blaming the political culture, which is a very watery and weak argument- but it's all I have.

God gave every Argentine three virtues, from which he could choose any two: intelligence, honesty, and peronism

Sick_Boy posted:

Uno por uno was one hell of a mess, wasn't it? I'm not that well-versed on the details, was it artificially forced or something that was, at least for a time, a viable thing?
"Uno por uno" was Cavallo trying to have it both ways. If you want parity with the dollar, then you need to run an extremely tight fiscal regime, which Argentina obviously did not do. The other possibility is to just go all out and dollarize the economy completely. Ecuador has done this fairly well, although you essentially cede monetary policy unilaterally.

Markovnikov posted:

Hrm, haven't seen the Malvinas' bills at all. Maybe because nowadays you don't much get to handle lower denomination Bills. Sarmiento was also kind of a dick too so good for him being shoved aside?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the australes, but some previous currency, we've had a bunch. I do remember seeing a series of old gardening magazines my mother has, that were priced in australes, and as the numbers went by you could see the price going up up up.
The new 50 peso bill is out yet but only series "A", so its still extremely rare (and as you mention 50 peso bills are not that common actually). There will be a new 10 peso bill with Belgrano on one side and Juana Azurduy on the other coming soon.

It's also definitely Australes since that was the only currency to display so many heads of state on the bills. All the other ones are much more conservative and stick to Belgrano, San Martin, and one or two other ones, to minimize any potential political fallout. The Austral is also the one to have suffered the most inflationary period.

Highest denomination on the switch to Australes from Peso Argentino Ley in 1985:

Five years later:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
The only saving grace of Latin American militaries is that they're thankfully even more inept than the rest of the political establishment.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
tbf being Latin American is a hell of a drug.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Jonad posted:

You may not be familiar with North American demographic definitions but by most Goons's standards there are like 4 white people in this photo.

Don't worry by porteño standards thats just another picture of the black hordes overrunning the continent.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Can-walk-into-any-restaurant-and-get-milanesa-privilege.

Some of you don't know how well off you are let me tell you that

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Dias posted:

I was born, raised and still live in Southern Brazil.
My goondolences.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Would there be any interest in making a "proper" catch-all Latin America (South America maybe? Mexico has its own thread and I've not seen much about Central America being posted) thread? This thread shows that there are people who would engage, but the OP (really the first few pages) is awful and don't inform anyone about anything other than the fact that Pinochet is not particularly well regarded. There's quite a few things going on at the continental level this year that may solicit further attention. The OP could have small effortposts about each country or something.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-32261550

quote:

US President Barack Obama has told Latin American leaders that the days when his country could freely interfere in regional affairs are past.

Well glad that's sorted out finally then!

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Azran posted:

I'm having a hard time getting my head around the terceirizção thing. Can't Dilma veto it so it isn't effective for at least couple years/till someone else gets into the presidency? Is there any place where I can read the particulars re: how both companies (the "outsourced" and the "outsourcing") don't share responsibilities? It sounds too surreal to be true.
I don't know about the companies and such; but on the law:

Artigo 66 posted:

1º Se o Presidente da República considerar o projeto, no todo ou em parte, inconstitucional ou contrário ao interesse público, vetá-lo-á total ou parcialmente, no prazo de quinze dias úteis, contados da data do recebimento, e comunicará, dentro de quarenta e oito horas, ao Presidente do Senado Federal os motivos do veto.

2º O veto parcial somente abrangerá texto integral de artigo, de parágrafo, de inciso ou de alínea.

3º Decorrido o prazo de quinze dias, o silêncio do Presidente da República importará sanção.

4º O veto será apreciado em sessão conjunta, dentro de trinta dias a contar de seu recebimento, só podendo ser rejeitado pelo voto da maioria absoluta dos Deputados e Senadores, em escrutínio secreto.

5º Se o veto não for mantido, será o projeto enviado, para promulgação, ao Presidente da República.

6º Esgotado sem deliberação o prazo estabelecido no § 4º, o veto será colocado na ordem do dia da sessão imediata, sobrestadas as demais proposições, até sua votação final, ressalvadas as matérias de que trata o art. 62, parágrafo único.

7º Se a lei não for promulgada dentro de quarenta e oito horas pelo Presidente da República, nos casos dos §§ 3º e 5º, o Presidente do Senado a promulgará, e, se este não o fizer em igual prazo, caberá ao Vice-Presidente do Senado fazê-lo.

66.4 is the key here, in English it reads: "The veto shall be examined in a join session, within 30 days of its receipt, and only being possible to reject it by an absolute majority of Deputies and Senators, through a secret ballot". What is interesting in Brasil is that you only need a majority to send the law right back to the President, so if you were able to pass it in the first place you're going to stand a good chance of pushing it home if you're truly intent on it. Contrast this with Argentina, for example, (art. 83)where you need two-thirds of the vote of the original chamber and as well as a majority in the other chamber, and if the other chamber disagrees the law is automatically tabled for a year. Seems that the Brazilian veto is not as strong (if any Brazilians could further clear this up that would be great).

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Does the police have rainbows on the back of their helmets???:cop: :gay:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJLL2FA8qg

I'm just glad that anyone who could win was a proud Justicialist and completely onboard with what was happening during the 90s and between the three of them (OK Massa won't win but let's be kind) they're going to pick up 90%+ of the vote for President.

Una mujer de cuarenta años visita al ginecólogo y le confiesa que es virgen. El ginecólogo se sorprende y le pregunta porque. ¿Nunca ha tenido un novio? La mujer aclara que tuvo tres novios. Aumenta la sorpresa del ginecólogo. ¿Cómo, si ha tenido tres amantes, es todavía virgen? “Primero tuve un amante que militaba en el Frepaso. Y era pura lengua. Mi segundo amante era peronista, me rompió el culo. Y mi tercer amante era radical, entonces cuando se ponia arriba no sabía qué hacer”.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Yggdrassil posted:

I don't follow. The guy has pretty much diagnosed our social and economical problems to perfection over and over again. Besides, his plans are not like his rival's. The Kirchner's are outright thieves, and Macri is Menem's revival. Lousteau was actually brought into government under the idea that he would launch a project to create a proper welfare state, after all, he studied at the London School of Economics and Political Science. He resigned from his position as minister of economy after seeing that his ideas were far different from what Fernandez's government was really seeking.

Not only that, but he is the only one proposing to put a stop on the abuse of political propaganda, and he is amazingly diplomatic. Have you heard him at Fantino's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDytc25E2Yg

Excellent interview, pity Fantino interrupts him every 2 seconds...

Also sorry to double post but I'm on my phone. Lousteau (just like Carrio) won't amount to much. Even when she was the only viable opposition candidate and got a fair amount of other parties to go vote her for the position of president, she still put on a poor showing, and an even worse one for deputies. They have very little footprint outside of the Gran Buenos Aires, and that will always stop them. Lousteau and company, precisely because they are so opposed to clientelist politics, are completely unable to challenge the fuedal bastions in the provinces or make inroads into peronist strongholds like La Matanza.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Apparently 17 policemen refused to join the others when they started beating the poo poo out of the protesters and got arrested for that :smith:

Traitorous scum, I hope they hang.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Azran posted:

Nah, different one. That was a the History of Social Processes professor. This one was a Geo-Political professor :v:

Please tell me that at least this is one of those universities that have massive absenteeism and only 5% of people end up graduating (presumably you).

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
For anyone wondering what is going on: there is a three-way split with each candidate being just a fraction of a decimal either above or below 30%. Everyone is accusing everyone else of fraud.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

You'd think if one of them had committed fraud they'd have done it enough to win.

It's Argentina, it is much likelier to count on all 3 being too inept to even do fraud properly.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Could Chapo watch Caballeros del Zodiaco in prison though? If he wasn't allowed then that's a violation of his human rights and good on him for escaping.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

A mayor from a small town in Minas Gerais, Brazil, was flying over his lands, throwing molotovs at the MST (Landless Workers' Movement) camp currently occupying it.

And then he crashed. And died.

http://g1.globo.com/mg/vales-mg/noticia/2015/07/aviao-cai-em-ocupacao-do-mst-em-tumiritinga-e-deixa-dois-mortos.html

(in portuguese)

:thurman:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Future Days posted:

http://candidatosbuitre.com/ <- Reason I'm voting these people on Sunday.
:captainpop:

:anarchists:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Unfortunately I fear the usual thing will happen and progressive parties will get 5 votes and then splinter into 6 factions.

Fun fact, the PASO are only applicable to Cambiemos, Frente de Izquierda y de los Trabajadores, and Unidos por una Nueva Alternativa. Every single other party/political grouping is already proposing a unified list for the Presidential/Vice-Presidential candidates. So of the 12 PASO lists, popular vote will only have an effect on 3. What a fantastic system.

Ghost of Mussolini fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 6, 2015