Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

AllanGordon posted:

So when are they going to cancel the olympics?

Only when Rio is burned to the ground. Which may not take that long actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

goatse.cx posted:

whats been happening in argentina my niggas?

Obama danced the tango, it was lovely.

Also, protests downtown due to Obama's visit. Tax evasion scandals, Carrio stirring poo poo, same old same old.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Magrov posted:

The full story is even better.

Arnon's target was 5 meters away from him. He shot 3 times, and missed all of them. The senator who died was a substitute senator, and the day he died was his last day as a senator.

That's not actually better holy poo poo. That's a horrible story.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

tekz posted:

This thread is big and I apologized if someone's talked about it before, but how has the new Argentinian government been so far? The recent cave in to vulture funds was deeply disturbing, have they slashed government services and other things to repay the debt?

So far so underwhelming.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Markovnikov posted:

Good to see the thread getting some posts. Too bad about all the pinochetos coming out of the woodwork.

https://youtu.be/XKL6BtHwXC8

Also, :sever:. May I ask were you are from? You really need to make some non yuppie friends.

Reading that was trippy as gently caress.

But what MrNemo said is mostly right. Welcome change, poo poo at communication.

The GF does sound extremely right wing though.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

joepinetree posted:

Cunha has just been arrested. It will be interesting to see if he will make a deal.

Can any brazilian expand on this? Seems funny in a sad way.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

nerdz posted:

Apparently the president is canceling his current foreign tour and hurrying his rear end back to Brazil. Considering how close they are, he's probably very concerned about what a scorned Cunha could do if arrested.

And now this is back to being funny on a funny way. Kind of like the post brexit stuff that happened with the ones that supported it.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Sephyr posted:

Victorious GOP supporters accusing anti-Trump protesters of being paid stooges hired by the democratic party gave me flashbacks of last year, when the pro-Dilma demonstrations were also accused of being staffed by professional protesters earnign30 bucks and a sammich.

Not even a Coke? Shameful paid protestor industry in Brasil compared to Argentina.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Can any brasilian goon confirm that people took to the streets over the bribery tapes?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

What do the people on the floor make of this?

Is this....good?

Corrupt politicians going away is always good, but who's next? Would Lula run if they call for early elections? Who the hell is going to take Neves position, and would anyone vote for them? When you have the party leaders acting like this you really can't trust any of them.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Huh, Temer is denying everything on the tapes. Interesting.

edit: HE IS NOT QUITTING!!!

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

So, what's the consensus, is the tape fake or not? I havne't been able to read the news today.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Imagine not being able to organize a football match with weeks of preparation and then hosting the G20 and asking for long term investments in the country.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Gotta admit waking up in a remote house in Patagonia with no light, no phone service and the last messages I received being about a Globsl/regional energy blackout was interesting in a post apocalyptic kind of way.

The airport I'm in having lost power twice since arrived fills me with confidence.

Also funny how everyone was blsming Macri as soon as it happened

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Well, that was certainly a result.

Even with the fringe right he'd still need all of Lavagna's to turn it around.

Hope you had dollars in your accounts.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Well, I guess Bolivia didn't want to be left out of the massive protests...

Uruguayans must be trembling right now

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Well then, let's hope Alberto reigns in some of Crisgina's worst impulses.

May his presidency be a good one :shrug:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Apparently we can now only buy 200 USD a month, down from 10k USD.

El blues se va al carajooooooo

A runoff wouñdve been for Fernandez almost certainly. 1% from the far left, and at least 1% from Lavagna. 54/46 something like that I guess

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 28, 2019

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

(Alberto) Fernandez
(Cristina) Fernandez (de Kirchner)

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

https://imgur.com/a/7Dz29Nu

It's no Irish Simpsons Fans but there's a strong meme game going on

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/Dataclave/status/1309239653678055431?s=08

Not to be outdone by Bullrich's fake background another congressman sucked a tit live, while debating next year's budget.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Is there a good article about the chilean reform? As in, with the specifics of what changes are wanted. I imagine that with 80% support not everyone is in agreement, but anything would do. Every single article i've seen (admittedly not rom chilean media) has been extremely vague. Basically "get rid of the pinochet consittution to help reduce inequality". But HOW? What's the plan? What phrasing or constitutional guarantees do they what to add? Or what far right stuff is there to remove? I can imagine that guaranteeing a 0 cost higher education for everyone is a priority, but what else?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

RIP diegote, goodbye Tinelli/Maradona presidential formula.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

4 years to the day since Fidel.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

So how was it tonight in Milei's bunker Ghost?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

So Cristina is going to jail for 6 years?

Unlikely, but yay

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Negostrike posted:

Yeah it's absolutely impossible it can get any worse, right?

...right?

That’s probably like half his vote? Can’t blame them. Voting for the current finance minister or for another try at a Macri like attempt seems lol

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

What a country (Argentina)

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Scam Likely posted:

Any Argentina goons lurking? Would be great to hear your thoughts on what's going on.

Better than Massa.but two extremely lovely choices

Dollarizatiom and eliminating the central bank are pipe dreams.

Maybe he can reduce government expenditure?

It’s argentina, more curious about what will happen than hopeful

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Badger of Basra posted:

People talking about dollarization as a good idea is so wild considering they already tried it once in the 90s and it crashed the economy

But what an amazing 10 year run!

People got tired of a bust and bust cycle, they are hoping for a boom. I don’t think anyone is actually hopeful og going back to Argentina’s heyday.

But yeah, dollarizatiom is probably an allure to “just” 10-15% of his base, he will probably change tone, because it really is impossible without doing idiotic stuff

Eric Cantonese posted:

Aren't Milei's beliefs basically neoliberalism after a coke binge? He struck me as the choice of a bunch of people who think things can't get any worse because it's too depressing to realize that things can always get worse.

And voting for the finance minister presiding over 50% poverty and 150-200% inflation the recipe for things getting better?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Well yes el problema es el capitalismo, obviously, but what is it about Argentina that makes it so spectacularly deranged?

There are 4 types of economies. Developed nations, underdeveloped nations, Japan and Argentina. Don't ask for explanations, enjoy the journey.

Milei will privatize stuff, it will get expropriated again. Same as it ever was.

Massa will be president yet. His name is too close to Messi, and Messi had to lose a final before winning, mark my words. What party will he be running with? Who knows. But he sure would beat a Kicillof presidency.

Milei at least has a "reduce the state and train the people to work" message, not even Bullrich was clear with that, despite how obvious it is.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

Of these different institutional/policy needs, what's the order of operations that makes them plausible?

Isn't that the million dollar question?

Getting foreign investment is most likely out of the quesiton, they learned their lesson after Macri.

A stronger judicial power would be a good start for Milei, and something he could feasibly accomplish.

Turning off the money printing machine too.

Reducing government spend. Of course firing people increases the need to print money for social plans until they get a job.

So then you need to incentivize small companies, make it easier to do business. Lower the tax burden on them. Then yu get into making it easier to hire/fire people, which is a touchy issue.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

@losarrepentidosdemilei on Instagram is gonna be posting Milei voters complaining about Milei doing what he promised he'd do.

Some funny content so far, some probably fake, but still

16 days to go

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Yes, if anything Milei is bucking the most recent latinamerican trend.

Of course a couple of years ago the trend WAS right wing stuff in latam, brasil, bolivia, chile and Argentina kind of had that going for a while.

Now the pendulum is swinging the other way. It will all happen again.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

busalover posted:

Is there any chance of seeing a resurgence of military dicatorships in places like Argentina and Chile? Or has the army been dismantled too much over the past decades to carry any weight?

lmao, of course it's your second post in the thread. Let me guess, from the US?

It's been funny seeing Milei images used as a meme by english speakers in non-political contetxs.

On the other hand, there{s going to be a lot of eyes on Argentina when it crashes and burns this time, it's gonna be embarrasing.

OTOH, if he gets inflation under three digits it may lead other countries to go "why don't we vote for our crazy guy", which would lead to intereting times, in the curse sense.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Argentina was the richest country in the world, or top 3, around -1900.

What happened then was grain prices and other commodities was way up.

We looked at that, said “great”, and never pushed the economy beyond primary resources.

Perón tried to lock down imports to incentivise local industry, but surprisingly that doesn’t work that well!

The only success stories in argentina are non industrial players selling software. Mercado Libre fighting with Amazon in latam, Globant selling software to Fortune 50 companies, Wolox bought by accenture.

With how cheap our labor is if we managed to process some of those grains and oil before exporting or whatever we’d be much better off.

Chances of Milei getting any of that done? Ehhhhh….I’ll settle for simplifying the tax code and reducing part of the state.

Edit disclaimer: i’m just a random guy, so please don’t take anything I say as an absolute truth

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 28, 2023

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

So apparently both Orban and Zelensky will be on Buenos Aires on Sunday for Mieli’s investiture .

And Orban just announced some pro Russia stuff?

Should be fun!

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

OK that's more like it

Lmao, that's an awfully wrong interpretation of the content, don't look at my avatar, i'm objective...

Strikes aren't mentioned at all in the content.

This is specifically about protests that block streets. People would still be allowed to manifest in the sidewalks. Whether that's fair or not it's up to debate.

And in order to make in enforceable people found blocking streets will no longer be eligible for government welfare.

According to many most of the people in this type of protest don't even know why they are there, there are many interviews where this is put in evidence. They are threatened by the people that manage access to the welfare programs, "go or you will no longer get this money". The government established a hotline to denounce this type of extorsion and was getting hundreds of calls.

This is what the "My Argentina" app, used for bureaucratic stuff, looked like for people that receive government assistance. It reminded them that if you cut the streets you are cut off the money.

Again, take all the above with a grain of salt, I'm just sharing the right wing view. But the original post was full of bad translations and bad faith interpretations completely removed from the intent.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Not eager to see how quickly europeans buy the entire patagonia tbh

Ley de alquileres repeal is gonna hurt some, but from what i gather it was mostly ignored. Talking with friends that are renting in caba. If you brought it ip it was a “lol”.

Didn’t read all the rest, but we really don’t need MORE guns on the street.

Not sire how well known the ley de gondolas is but Coke, AB InBev and all big cpgs will celebrate tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

lol, Milei wants to force judges to wear robes

Among many other good laws presented to congress in the “omnibus” plan.

Also some bad plans.

But the one forcing all government media to replace “free” with “paid by taxpayers” is very good and funny.