Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Okay, the invocation of Western Imperialism has me baffled - what's the argument that Latin America isn't Western?

Also, the pathologizing of institutional misfeasance and malfeasance as a social trait is something I've found pretty common in discussions of Latin America, including and perhaps especially those driven by Latin Americans - I'm sure someone's getting their PhD off a sociological study of how internalizing "we can't organize poo poo" facilitates graft and whatnot, but I'm interested in your perspective on how widespread that sentiment is in the region. For obvious reasons, most of my conversations are with members of various expatriate communities (either immigrant or refugee) and I'm curious how political thought on the region aligns and diverges between stayers and goers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

hobbesmaster posted:

Did Chile run out of copper and fish?

Most people in this forum will know absolutely nothing about Chile's economy, I only know a touch because I lived in La Serena briefly as a child. Can you give some more background?

I'm pretty sure (though I may be wrong) that there's a ton of deferred or written off revenues from taxing Codelco because there appears to be an upfront tax deferral because of the capital intensive nature of the industry. So there's still copper it's just difficult to get state revenues out of it.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

wateroverfire posted:

Maybe. Probably we'd be a failed state limping by on international aid. Chile didn't have the massive human and physical capital reserves to plunder that Argentina did when it decided to run itself into the ground.

Which time?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

McDowell posted:

The Americas should unite was a global economic/military powerhouse instead of the Current United States bully hegemony approach. Imagine all the domestic activity that could occur with some changes to borders and drug policies. Instead of spending billions a year to hold Afghanistan together you create law and order in the greatest modern civilization in world history. Let Russia and China and everyone else work out their own problems.

At the risk of being glib:

"And Spanish shall be the governing language of this federation."

"Wait a loving second, whose Spanish?"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
How does this thread feel about Bayly?

TheImmigrant posted:

Already Spanish dialectal variation isn't much of an issue. Written Spanish is nearly identical across various Hispanophone countries, particularly if you aren't including Spain. Spoken dialects vary a bit more, with Rioplatense, Chilean, and Caribbean dialects the most divergent, but still I can't see 'which Spanish' ever being an obstacle. Dialect chauvinism is a nonissue today. Native speakers consider Iberian to be effete, and Mexican slang to be excessively vulgar, but there's little problem with intelligibility.

At the risk of over-explaining the joke, while dialect chauvinism isn't an issue, there are some power dynamics and resentments between states/nationalities that would at least wrench federation a bit in the absence of a strong opposing entity. Similar to how had the British not been around, "gently caress the North"/"gently caress the South" might have further complicated collective action in the colonies, instead of being a charming amateur political science analysis.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Wow. I wonder if Cuba agreed to any serious reforms for this to happen. This looks like the end of the embargo.

I guess the Dems are writing off Florida next election.

Florida doesn't really work like that anymore (insofar as it ever did).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

TheImmigrant posted:

Younger Cuban-Americans are not hardline anti-Castro.

Even hardline anti-Castro Cubans from the older generations aren't necessarily opposed to normalization at this point - nor is normalization a vote-flipping issue. Those who would flip their vote and go to the polls on this issue are already high-turnout GOP voters.

FlamingLiberal posted:

In 2012 a majority of Cubans as a bloc voted for Obama, so yeah, things are changing.

A majority of Cubans in Florida, at that I believe.