Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SexyBlindfold posted:

My grasp on US politics has become looser and looser, but doesn't this mean that Jeb Bush (or any other republican candidate) would campaign on reverting this completely to appease the GOP-voting Cubans?

Its good politics if Jeb makes this an issue. Cuba will need to purchase 100,000 barrels of oil a day at market rates, soon enough; why not make that 100,000 barrels of American oil a day? Whats Bush gonna do, oppose the oil and gas industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I dont know posted:

Doesn't Venezuela provide oil to Cuba at a massive discount? Or are you saying that they will have to stop doing this since their economy is crashing?

Cuban elites have been under increasing pressure to not gently caress up the current detente process due to the imminent default of Venezuela and expectation of elimination of oil subsidization. What I'm wondering is, what will Cuba export that can raise enough foreign capital to purchase 100k/bpd at open-market rates? Unless Cuba has a refinery sector that I'm unaware of....

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

Cristina is pretty crazy but I don't know if she'd have a dude murdered.

Iranians would. Its certainly an interesting death.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I don't see what Iranians have to do with Argentina?

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Terrorism/argentina.html

quote:

In 1992 and 1994, two bombs devastated the Argentinean Jewish community and marked the arrival of Middle Eastern terrorism to South America.
Finally, in 1998, a telephone call intercepted from the Iranian embassy in Argentina demonstrated conclusively that Iran had been involved in the attack on the embassy. Argentina expelled six Iranian diplomats from the country but that was the extent of their action and it was never determined which individuals were culpable for the attack.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Care to explain this for individuals who prefer to study south american business history over south american cultural history?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

The only saving grace of Latin American militaries is that they're thankfully even more inept than the rest of the political establishment.

I thought latin american militaries were the political establishment?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Help my dad is yelling that the US is wanting to take down the Brazilian president to take ARE OIL

gently caress your oil, we're already the world's #1 producer. Why would we ever want dirty sugar ethanol when we gots corn?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

If you live on the wrong side of the Andes.

Which side gets increased rainfall from climate change?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Puerto Rico would be super ultra duper hosed if we became independent so I hope that never happens.

Lobby the rest of us for statehood. You should want statehood enough that you make us grant it to you.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What is up with Goku in latin america?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Scaramouche posted:

I don't want to alarm you guys but I think that drug lord fellow might have had inside help when he escaped.

Which time?

Maybe Mexico should execute prisoners it can't hold or extradict them to America.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I hear that Peronism is dead? C/D?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What is Peronism?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I still do not understand Peronism. Was it, like, the 1940's version of Trump support?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Brazil sounds like a pretty cool place.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nerdz posted:

Nope. But if there was a lack of bad news, the government opposition would probably spin this as Dilma being a terrorist supporter, like this dude here about the Palestine embassy being built in Brasilia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy5xmGMELus

I like how the guy just makes things up on the spot:

- Lula donated the terrain
- Also donated extra 25 million
- The terrorism embassy plans on taking over brazil in 15 years
- They will fill the embassy with bombs and AK-47s
- 75% of muslims support ISIS

How well are those Syrian refugees y'all took in down there integrating into your cavalier, carnival culture?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Markovnikov posted:

Hey it was what the museum said. I think it was some rather early version of the peso, that's why they ran out of dudes so quickly. At any rate, knowing our country's history it's convincing enough to be true.

Who's currency features more former slave owners, America's or Brazil's?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Before she was murdered Cáceres actually called out Hillary for her support of the coup regime
http://www.thenation.com/article/chronicle-of-a-honduran-assassination-foretold/

I fail to see why anyone should sympathize with a populist demagogue attempting to install themselves as dictator through extralegal means, rather than the constitutional processes that ensured Honduras would continue as a functional nation-state rather than going the way of the Venezuelan failed state.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SexyBlindfold posted:

wait, what is this post referring to when it mentions a constitutional process that ensures Honduras will continue as a functional nation-state

does it include the coup, rigged elections and the political assassinations that ensued, or just the coup

What do you call an individual who is president for life? A dictator. Sometimes, one must engage in unconstitutional conduct in order to preserve the processes of democracy against the forces that would see them destroyed for their own benefit.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nerdz posted:

According to his official bio page on flamengo's homepage, he was the financial vice president of Brasif, the company that was sending money illegally to Fernando Henrique's mistress.

http://flamengo.com.br/site/noticia/detalhe/21985/claudio-pracownik-e-o-novo-vice-presidente-de-financas

He actually posted a defense about the picture on facebook. His argument? He's a Job Creator.

What incentive do job creators in Brazil have to contribute to non-profit organizations which directly benefit them? Like, yeah, it's nice that they have a nanny and all--- wouldn't it be nicer if it were easier for them to organize and fund an early child care program so that other folk could benefit from their job creation as well?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sephyr posted:

I'm not saying the prejudice and hostility aren't there. Just that we never had institutionalized, overt divisions. We didn't have laws mandating separate schools and water fountains; just owners telling security guards that certain people are 'not welcome', not members, potentially dangerous, etc. The last time a separate minority was ofically crushed by the majority institutions instead of being ignored and quietly sidelined was the Canudos village.

What about slavery?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nerdz posted:

Yeah, the history here is pretty drat unreliable. One fact is that men were way more likely to escape than women, so there was a real unbalance between genders on quilombos. So the speculated results go all the way from "they were basically comfort women that preferred rape than slavery" to "the women used their scarcity to rule like a matriarchy"

Why not just look at what emerged in Congo during the 40's, 50's, and 60's with mass male migration from a hodgepodge of tribal groups to urban areas as a result of escape from forced labor camps?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

Around what time period do you think quilombos existed, MIGF?

Sometime between independence and the abolition of slavery? I don't read much South American social histories; I prefer more objective histories like Marcelo Bucheli's absolutely wonderful Bananas and Business: The United Fruit Company in Colombia, 1899-2000, which discards the conventions of all those bullshit "marxist" rhetorics that had come before and focuses on laying out raw facts, figures, correspondences, and board minutes to allow the reader to build their own narrative.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sephyr posted:

Because we were talking about Quilombos, which came into the conversation due to your earlier attempt to be a wiseass by dropping slavery into the topic of societal divisions and vendettas without knowing jack about South American history/culture??

The affects of slavery are felt to this day. Has the idea of reparations ever been raised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nerdz posted:

eh, I wish I had at least one reasonable right wing person anywhere so I could discuss. They all seem reliant on the usual taking heads , spit all the pre made talking points and almost every one of the right wing people I know try to discuss meritocracy while managing their father's inheritance.

I'm an American centrist who believes in process and implementation over outcome. What policies would you like to discuss in latin america? Land reform? The utility of export-orientated infrastructure development?