Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Captain Invictus posted:

I take these vitamin chewables: Vitafusion Multivites and NOW Supplements Vitamin D-3 1,000 IU. They both work great for me, especially the Vitamin D, it's been downright life-changing. But I really don't like gummies. Are there multivitamins that fit the same bill as the vitafusion multivites but are crumbly chewables like the NOW supplements vitamin D chewables? basically, are there flintstones vitamins-style for adults that are the same supplemental makeup as the multivites?

Not OTC, but you can get 50,000 unit prescriptions that are taken once per week. My endocrinologist put me on that and it has kept my Vitamin D levels stable for nearly a decade.

I've had admittedly excellent insurance coverage over that time, but it never cost more than ~$1 per gel cap.

edit: I think I misread your question and you're not looking for Vitamin D alternatives, but I'll leave it as-is because having to take a thing once weekly was a whole lot more convenient for me.

Trabant has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cornuto posted:

Any you recommend? I'd tried floating duck pellets in the past (these specifically = https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y8V6WKP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and they just ignored them. I read that cracked corn is cheap and they love it so bought that and they went nuts.

They're also wild ducks, so its not like they're subsisting mainly on this, its just something to throw to them when I walk down there.

That food looks fine, they probably didn’t eat it because they are used to Twinkies. If you aren’t the only one feeding them then you’d be surprised how much of their diet is corn compared to what they should be eating.

When I had ducks I used Purina brand Flock Raiser https://a.co/d/6A7oJ7y

It doesn’t float though. You’d have to pour some on the bank and wait while they discovered it.

My ducks loved greens so you could try a some shredded kale, not spinach because of the excess oxalic acid. And in the case of Muscovy ducks they love meal worms and soldier fly larvae. I can’t remember if Mallard-type ducks ate those or not.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Probably 12-15 years ago, I bought a Timbuk2 messenger bag with the intention that it'd be large enough to easily hold my shoes if I needed it to, which meant I got the large. I have Goon proportions, so it didn't look completely ridiculous, and while I didn't need it for my shoes as often as I thought I would, it was very nice for doing things like holding three fifths of liquor from a liquor store trip (the liquor store I like is a bit of a schlep, and I didn't own a car for most of that time) or a twelve-pack of spicy water from the grocery store. A couple of weeks ago, it finally gave up the ghost, where one of the straps tore off the bag. In addition, the interior lining has been flaking off for a couple of years now, and it's just shabby as hell (my mother hates it when I visit). What's the new hotness for bigass bags? Definitely wouldn't object to another Timbuk2, but I might go with the backpack instead of the messenger bag now. I'd like something that can comfortably hold a laptop when necessary, and the straps definitely need to be beefy enough to easily hold 10-20 pounds, maybe a bit more than that. I use the thing at work and take it with me most places I go, and I live in Seattle so being relatively waterproof is pretty much mandatory (the Timbuk2 was great for this). I'mma cross-post this to the bag thread, too.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

They're still worth spending your money on. I had an XL for like 9 years but went down to M. I honestly regret the size change.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Goons I beseech you, what rice cooker should I get? I'm only cooking for like 2 people so I don't need anything giant. A quick look at amazon and the Zojirushi brand seems to be all over $100 but I also know I've heard great things before about the brand.

Should I get one and if so what model?

Are there other brands that are close to as good but maybe significantly cheaper? I'm mainly just looking to be lazy and the only instant pot I have is a gently caress off giant one that doesn't make sense for using to make a small amount of rice in (which I'm mentioning here for completeness of not getting suggested to buy an instant pot).

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Do buy a zojirushi, don't buy it from Amazon. I personally have the ns-lac05 and make 1.5 cups of rice almost daily. The timer is amazing, I wake up to hot cooked rice and i can toss half the portion in a thermos for lunch

The cooker model i have will cook 1-3 cups of dry rice, which is a great amount for 1-2 people

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

tangy yet delightful posted:

Goons I beseech you, what rice cooker should I get? I'm only cooking for like 2 people so I don't need anything giant. A quick look at amazon and the Zojirushi brand seems to be all over $100 but I also know I've heard great things before about the brand.

Are there other brands that are close to as good but maybe significantly cheaper? I'm mainly just looking to be lazy and the only instant pot I have is a gently caress off giant one that doesn't make sense for using to make a small amount of rice in (which I'm mentioning here for completeness of not getting suggested to buy an instant pot).

For years, I used one of those $15.00 models you can get at almost any grocery store or Walmart-type situation.

I think it was a 3 or 4 cup model and it made two cups of rice just fine. I eventually gave it up because we got an Instant Pot 5L (which seems to need a minimum of 3 cups of rice in order to cook properly).

If I had to get a rice cooker again, I’d probably go back to the cheap model like before. My buddy has a Toshiba… Jazzberry?, which he got second-hand while living in Japan, and while it looks cool and makes pleasant sounds, it doesn’t seem to make rice any better than a generic $15 rice cooker.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've been using my Zojirushi for making quinoa lately (it helps it has that setting).

An Instant Pot has a bit more versatility but it's a true "jack of all trades, master of none." If you're limited on space I'd get one; my sister moved to a smaller spot and her Instant Pot's been :discourse:.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The only difference I've seen between Tiger/Zojirushi and say a Target or Walmart brand is the ability to keep the top layer from drying out during the course of a day. If the rice you cook gets used up with a 12 hr period, go for the $15 Martin Yan branded one ( that suckered served us well for 14 years, and was still going strong when we gave it away.)

We now have a Zojirushi NS-TSC10 that my wife scored for slightly less than $100 during the holidays. With our kid either being ravenous for rice or wanting nothing to do with it, the amount we cook either lasts us less than 8hrs for 5 cups or there's 2 cups sitting in warming mode for 18 or so hours before we throw it out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tangy yet delightful posted:

I have had this particular Black and Decker rice cooker for what feels like 20 years(edit: about 15 years now that I think about it, since I got it around the time of my first roommate). it still works perfectly, though the inside of the bowl has worn away a bit from countless rubbings/scrapings/scoopings, it still works great and I've used it probably thousands of times at this point. It cooks up to 7 cups of rice at once, and cooks anything else you put in with the rice of course. It is braindead simple and literally has two settings, cook and warm.

here is an ebay listing for I think a brand new version of the same model I have for 40 shipped, if that one gets snatched up before you get it there's others listed that are lightly used for 10-20 bucks plus shipping. if you are absolutely on a budget it'll do you well for a long, long time.

e: I swear that the rice cooker Roger Ebert talked about was the above Black and Decker, but the page links to a zojirushi amazon listing now. maybe it's been updated since his death since that model of B&D cooker isn't made anymore, but I feel like the reason I bought that one in the first place is because he linked to it specifically.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Mar 28, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I have had this particular Black and Decker rice cooker for what feels like 20 years(edit: about 15 years now that I think about it, since I got it around the time of my first roommate). it still works perfectly, though the inside of the bowl has worn away a bit from countless rubbings/scrapings/scoopings, it still works great and I've used it probably thousands of times at this point. It cooks up to 7 cups of rice at once, and cooks anything else you put in with the rice of course. It is braindead simple and literally has two settings, cook and warm.

here is an ebay listing for I think a brand new version of the same model I have for 40 shipped, if that one gets snatched up before you get it there's others listed that are lightly used for 10-20 bucks plus shipping. if you are absolutely on a budget it'll do you well for a long, long time.

e: I swear that the rice cooker Roger Ebert talked about was the above Black and Decker, but the page links to a zojirushi amazon listing now. maybe it's been updated since his death since that model of B&D cooker isn't made anymore, but I feel like the reason I bought that one in the first place is because he linked to it specifically.

Aren't those bowls generally teflon? I suggest you get yourself a new bowl.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

Aren't those bowls generally teflon? I suggest you get yourself a new bowl.

Some of the cheap ones are just aluminum.

Mine came with a plastic rice paddle and the admonition to ONLY use the plastic paddle, lest you scratch the aluminum.

And brother, let me tell you. I ONLY used the paddle it came with.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Surely any wood or silicone tool would do just fine and most plastic utensils as well?

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

By popular demand posted:

Surely any wood or silicone tool would do just fine and most plastic utensils as well?

Oh absolutely. I even used a wooden scraper to get off the crispy bits at the bottom with no harm.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Whatever the case, if your rice cooker only comes with a smooth paddle you should pick up one of the bumpy plastic ones that usually come with higher end cookers - those make it so much easier to fluff the rice when it's done

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for all the recs. I have a habit sometimes of just wanting to buy the expensive thing because it's technically better even if I won't be using the better features it provides. In this case I only ever plan on using a rice cooker to cook rice for the meal about to be eaten so the ability to keep it fresh all day is not really useful to me. I think I'll just pick up a small cheap one for now.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

tribbledirigible posted:

The only difference I've seen between Tiger/Zojirushi and say a Target or Walmart brand is the ability to keep the top layer from drying out during the course of a day. If the rice you cook gets used up with a 12 hr period, go for the $15 Martin Yan branded one ( that suckered served us well for 14 years, and was still going strong when we gave it away.)

We now have a Zojirushi NS-TSC10 that my wife scored for slightly less than $100 during the holidays. With our kid either being ravenous for rice or wanting nothing to do with it, the amount we cook either lasts us less than 8hrs for 5 cups or there's 2 cups sitting in warming mode for 18 or so hours before we throw it out.

Hey you know you can refrigerate and reheat rice, right? If the kid doesn't want it one day you can just try again with the same rice the next day. Like it's not perfect but it's fine if you keep it in an airtight container.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

also consider a multi-pot thing, it's usually better that every kitchen appliance have more than just one function.

E: And cooking rice in a microwave is fine and good too.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Buying a pressure cooker was a game changer for me. Got a multi cook thing so it can do quite a few functions.

But, pressure cooker. It's got all the benefits of a slow cooker but takes like an hour tops.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

Are you really regularly throwing out 2 cups of rice? My Chinese ancestors are rolling in their graves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Looking for a standing single-room air filter/purifier, something like this which has been dependable for us for a number of years. Just need one for a second room and am willing to be talked into a different kind before I just double up on this specific model.