Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TUTRLE FIJURBLER
Jan 20, 2009

"Even the best of shellfish have a dark side."
\
:backtowork:

Geoj posted:

I've had a LED Lenser 880028 for four years now. Uses 3 AAAs and has a very bright beam. You used to be able to buy them from Lowe's and Home Depot but then Coast stopped selling them under license. Very good flashlight for under $40.

e: for that matter pretty much anything in their lineup is great from a quality and price standpoint until you get into niche market equipment like diving flashlights and absurdly overkill poo poo like this.

Ended up buying a lenser brand from amazon. It looked perfect for what we needed it for. Thanks for the suggestion and thanks everyone else for the input!

Still waiting on it to arrive, will update post when it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What's the best RSS reader nowadays (besides Feedly)?

DSLAM
Apr 4, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

If you are talking about Android Pocket Casts works great. Sure it costs a few bucks but it works.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Does anyone have any recommendations for some nice and thick boot socks? I don't really mind paying more for quality if they will last me a while. All of my boot socks are pretty cheap and are already starting to go threadbare.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Smart wool socks rule and are worth the price. They have dedicated hiking socks but I used the

"SmartWool PhD Outdoor Light Crew Sock" perfect thickness imo. I never got any blisters and I put a lot of wear and tear into them. (Infantry) they started to thin out in areas but were still perfectly functional. Considering all the mileage I put on them though..

If you make big purchases you might get some good deals on socksaddict.com

Foxriver socks are also really popular but a bit too thick for my tastes

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Dec 25, 2014

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Side Effects posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for some nice and thick boot socks? I don't really mind paying more for quality if they will last me a while. All of my boot socks are pretty cheap and are already starting to go threadbare.

People socks merino wool socks on amazon. You can get 4pair for 25$ and they are nice and thick.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

PaganGoatPants posted:

For Android? gReader

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I love smartwool

Caffeinated Bacon
May 23, 2007
That's enough motive, I suppose, to make a man dress like Dracula and assault criminals
Does anyone have any Iphone 6 case recommendations? I originally went with an Otterbox Defender but the screen protector reduced the screen sensitivity way too much. I'd like to get something that offers that same level of protection.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I have a otterbox commuter wallet. It is for the S5. But it is great. I think they make it for the iphone too.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Any recommendations for buying artwork online? With frames I guess?

I need to hang some stuff on my walls.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I need a backpack with two zippered areas, one of which has a padded slot for a laptop. The zippers need to not break after 1-2 years of use and ideally it'll have clips to secure across the torso. Any favorite backpacks along these lines?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
What is the best plunger known to man?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Van Dis posted:

I need a backpack with two zippered areas, one of which has a padded slot for a laptop. The zippers need to not break after 1-2 years of use and ideally it'll have clips to secure across the torso. Any favorite backpacks along these lines?

I have a north face recon that would suit you perfectly

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Van Dis posted:

If you can afford it, the Tom Bihn brain bag is great. Although you have to buy the laptop padded case separately. Ive had mine for around three years now and it's still in great condition.

http://www.tombihn.com/backpacks/TB0104.html

Dr. Kayak Paddle has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Jan 2, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Van Dis posted:

I have this one:

SwissGear Computer Backpack

It's held up through quite a few trips so far with no problems. Really comfortable to wear through airports all day too.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Defenestration posted:

What is the best plunger known to man?

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/plunger-versus-plunger/

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Thanks for the smartwool recommendations guys! I'm going to buy one or two to try out before I commit to replacing all of my boot socks, but they sound exactly like what I'm looking for.

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Any recommendations for buying artwork online? With frames I guess?

I need to hang some stuff on my walls.

It's kind of hard to answer a really vague question like this, but I'll give it a shot. Check out sites like etsy, society 6, and the Tappan Collective. Artists that you like often also sell art online through their personal website, though prices will vary depending on how established he or she is. If you are looking for posters, Print Process is my go to for more artistic posters, but places like art.com or posters.com will carry a really huge range of movie and famous artist posters for reasonable prices.

A lot of websites that sell posters/prints will also offer framing services but I often find that they aren't worth the money. Frames are heavy, generally inflexible, and fragile, so they add a lot to the shipping costs while also increasing the chance that it will be damaged in transit. This isn't to say that you shouldn't use these services, plenty of people are happy with them, but I've had one to many that have cracked or warped in transit that I just buy my own frames now. If you want to buy your own frames, places like Ikea offer some cheap ones in standard sizing.

To get the best possible prices for art, though, I really recommend that you browse around your city/town for any kind of art market or open studios. I find that talking to the artist about their work and showing an interest in the art community will often get you a deal on a piece you are interested in. A local artist whose work I really like threw in an extra print and drew a sketch of me when I purchased two prints because I wound up talking to him about art materials for an hour. This isn't true of all artists, obviously, and you should never go into a studio expecting to get a deal, but building that relationship goes a long way towards getting some awesome art for a little less.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Get the light pair I recommended and then try the actual hiking socks imo. See which you like best.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.
I work in a warehouse and have a pair of Corcoran Jump Boots that I wear daily. I've had a few pairs of Smartwool socks, and while they were great, they wore out and got holes a little sooner than I would have liked.

According to my Amazon history, I bought five pairs of Thorlo Combat Boot Socks exactly two years ago. One sock developed its first hole within the past month and a few others are starting to wear thin. I'm honestly shocked that a pair of cheap socks has lasted me this long with daily use, but when I need new socks I will just buy more of these.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Serious sock talk, these things rock and come with a lifetime guarantee
http://darntough.com/about-us/our-guarantee

http://www.amazon.com/Darn-Tough-Vermont-Merino-Cushion/dp/B000XIFUZ4

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

I've been doing this all wrong...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My blender broke! It was a lovely Food Network blender that somebody gave me as a gift. Now I would like to take this opportunity to get something less lovely.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

My blender broke! It was a lovely Food Network blender that somebody gave me as a gift. Now I would like to take this opportunity to get something less lovely.

I have a ninja. It is great

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You might want to read the last few pages of the GWS product recommendation thread; it's mostly blenderchat.

ThatSlacker
May 25, 2004
I think I'm one of five people in the world that doesn't use a cell phone as an alarm clock. I've been looking for a very specific alarm clock for a while now and if anyone can help it's probably this group. I want an alarm clock that has these features:
  • Runs off of batteries. More than once I would have missed work when the power went out had I not had a battery powered alarm clock.
  • Can set an alarm per day. I wake up at different times on different days and it would be nice to set an alarm that has seven separate alarms - not just weekdays and weekends.
  • Doesn't beep with each button press. Seriously there are a number of alarm clocks that do this and I have no idea why. Why would someone want something that beeps every single time you hit a button?
  • Simple and reliable. This is one part of why I don't use a cell phone. I don't want something that is going to lock up in the middle of the night and not wake me up.
  • A backlight. I often wake up in the middle of the night and want to see what time it is. Without an easy to use backlight I have to turn on a light.
  • A snooze button I like having the option of sleeping for another 5-10 minutes
Features I don't want:
  • A radio
  • A wake-up light. My wife often gets up at a different time than I do which means I can't have something that's lighting up the room
  • Continuous backlight. I don't need the thing glowing in my face all night
For reference this is what I'm currently using:

http://www.amazon.com/Salton-47539-Westclox-Celebrity-Glo-Clox/dp/B00013K772

It's almost perfect. However it has two main faults:
  • At times when I try to set the alarm while also using the backlight it freaks out and won't show me the alarm time. This is the main reason I'm looking for a new one.
  • It only does one alarm per day which means I have to set the alarm time pretty much every night

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

What is the best chew deterrent spray for pets? I've been using Bitter Apple but my rear end in a top hat cat seems to have gotten used to it, seeing as how he chewed through my Ethernet cable this morning.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

ThatSlacker posted:

I think I'm one of five people in the world that doesn't use a cell phone as an alarm clock. I've been looking for a very specific alarm clock for a while now and if anyone can help it's probably this group. I want an alarm clock that has these features:
  • Runs off of batteries. More than once I would have missed work when the power went out had I not had a battery powered alarm clock.
  • Can set an alarm per day. I wake up at different times on different days and it would be nice to set an alarm that has seven separate alarms - not just weekdays and weekends.
  • Doesn't beep with each button press. Seriously there are a number of alarm clocks that do this and I have no idea why. Why would someone want something that beeps every single time you hit a button?
  • Simple and reliable. This is one part of why I don't use a cell phone. I don't want something that is going to lock up in the middle of the night and not wake me up.
  • A backlight. I often wake up in the middle of the night and want to see what time it is. Without an easy to use backlight I have to turn on a light.
  • A snooze button I like having the option of sleeping for another 5-10 minutes
Features I don't want:
  • A radio
  • A wake-up light. My wife often gets up at a different time than I do which means I can't have something that's lighting up the room
  • Continuous backlight. I don't need the thing glowing in my face all night
For reference this is what I'm currently using:

http://www.amazon.com/Salton-47539-Westclox-Celebrity-Glo-Clox/dp/B00013K772

It's almost perfect. However it has two main faults:
  • At times when I try to set the alarm while also using the backlight it freaks out and won't show me the alarm time. This is the main reason I'm looking for a new one.
  • It only does one alarm per day which means I have to set the alarm time pretty much every night

If you are willing to use your cell phone as a alarm I would suggest "caynax alarm"
The phone has a battery.
You can specify a variety of different alarms. I work a 10 day week 2 days 2 swings 2 Mids and 4 days off
I have been using it for 3 years with out a problem.
Customize your snooze time and number of times you can snooze.
When it goes off it has a mostly black background so it is not too bright
Can fade in the sound so it starts quiet and gets louder.
No beeps when you hit snooze or dismiss.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

What is the best chew deterrent spray for pets? I've been using Bitter Apple but my rear end in a top hat cat seems to have gotten used to it, seeing as how he chewed through my Ethernet cable this morning.

Try vinegar. I don't have cats but it works great for my dogs. And it's cheap.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Alarm clocks-

I used to use a Neverlate 7-day Alarm Clock but they seem to be discontinued and don't exactly fit your criteria.

I now use Gentle Alarm on my phone since it's sitting there charging anyway. It works great and has more useful features/options than any alarm clock I've ever had.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Doesn't fit that criteria at all but I'm excited to pick up this bad boy mentioned a couple pages back

Sonic Boom Alarm Clock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EX7LNM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_TBDQub1HVGJHM

ThatSlacker
May 25, 2004

jadeddrifter posted:

If you are willing to use your cell phone as a alarm I would suggest "caynax alarm"
The phone has a battery.
You can specify a variety of different alarms. I work a 10 day week 2 days 2 swings 2 Mids and 4 days off
I have been using it for 3 years with out a problem.
Customize your snooze time and number of times you can snooze.
When it goes off it has a mostly black background so it is not too bright
Can fade in the sound so it starts quiet and gets louder.
No beeps when you hit snooze or dismiss.

Honestly I'm trying to simplify things. If I forget my phone anywhere or lose it I've out my alarm clock along with my phone. I also have to remember to pull my phone up to the bedroom every night and I'm notoriously unreliable in those sorts of things.

I realize that I'm the really, really small minority in this though.

ThatSlacker
May 25, 2004

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Alarm clocks-

I used to use a Neverlate 7-day Alarm Clock but they seem to be discontinued and don't exactly fit your criteria.

I now use Gentle Alarm on my phone since it's sitting there charging anyway. It works great and has more useful features/options than any alarm clock I've ever had.

That NeverLate Executive looks like it might be close enough. Checking that out now. Thanks!

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

ThatSlacker posted:

Honestly I'm trying to simplify things. If I forget my phone anywhere or lose it I've out my alarm clock along with my phone. I also have to remember to pull my phone up to the bedroom every night and I'm notoriously unreliable in those sorts of things.

I realize that I'm the really, really small minority in this though.

Get a second phone. A used one. You can find them for cheap. It can be old because it is only going to run your alarm app. No monthly cost and it stays put plugged in on your night stand

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

jadeddrifter posted:

Get a second phone. A used one. You can find them for cheap. It can be old because it is only going to run your alarm app. No monthly cost and it stays put plugged in on your night stand

Seconding this - you really can't beat the features of a smartphone alarm app. And a few years old smartphone is dirt cheap.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

My cats hate the smell of most skin lotions I buy. I keep the lotion next to the bed and if a cat is annoying me to get me up I just put the lotion on my hands and no more cat. It'd probably make your cable gross though but it'd work if you found one he hated. They also hate the smell of alcohol and ammonia.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Christoff posted:

Doesn't fit that criteria at all but I'm excited to pick up this bad boy mentioned a couple pages back

Sonic Boom Alarm Clock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EX7LNM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_TBDQub1HVGJHM

I got one of these for my dad a couple of years back because he's getting up there in years and he can't hear a regular alarm anymore. It does a pretty great job and I'd recommend it to anybody who tends to sleep through alarms. Put the puck under your pillow and just try to sleep with that thing jiggling the hell out of your head.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Thinking about getting a universal remote. From what I understand, the logitech harmony series is the recommended product, but their line is pretty diverse, with prices ranging from $70 to $350. I know very little about good universal remotes so I'm not sure what sort of features there are in the higher end models that I would care enough about to drop a few hundred on vs $100.
Can anyone with more experience with the remotes give me any sort of advice on what I should shoot for?

I don't plan on using it for any sort of home automation, just a receiver and TV mostly but if it works for game consoles (ps3, 360, wii u) that's a pretty big plus.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I have this one and it owns, goes down to $80 sometimes

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-996-...rds=harmony+hub

You set up the hub and then configure your devices and up to 6 "activities" where it turns on the devices and switches to the proper inputs, I have:

Cable box
Apple TV
4 port HDMI switcher with 360, PS4, Chromecast, extra HDMI cable for connecting the laptop or whatever

and can access each of these activities at the push of a button, also can control everything using either the remote or the app, it controls everything even the cheap monoprice switcher no problem and the hub comes with two IR dongle thingies if you want to hide any devices in cabinets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for a discrete Bluetooth earbud that I can wear at work to listen to podcasts from my phone.

My direct boss doesn't give a toss because I work hard but his boss is really wrapped up in selling an "image" (inside a locked and secured government facility, go figure) so I need just one bud I can wear.