Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for a discrete Bluetooth earbud that I can wear at work to listen to podcasts from my phone.

My direct boss doesn't give a toss because I work hard but his boss is really wrapped up in selling an "image" (inside a locked and secured government facility, go figure) so I need just one bud I can wear.

The Moto Hint is about the most discreet Bluetotoh earpiece I can think of:
http://www.motorola.com/us/accessories-bluetooth-headsets/Moto-Hint/moto-hint-pdp.html

It IS pricey, though. And if you only need it to go "one way" (i.e., no need for the microphone function to take calls or whatnot) then it's also overkill. But I don't know if they only make single-ear Bluetotoh headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for a discrete Bluetooth earbud that I can wear at work to listen to podcasts from my phone.

My direct boss doesn't give a toss because I work hard but his boss is really wrapped up in selling an "image" (inside a locked and secured government facility, go figure) so I need just one bud I can wear.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I wanted a little bluetooth gadget for listening to audiobooks and doing Siri stuff, and the Motorola Hint is out of my price range at the moment. This one is only $15 (with prime shipping) and has the best reviews of all the products like it. Link here, for the interested.
Someone asked him in that thread for feedback on whether it was any good, but no response yet.

EDIT And the verdict is in that it's crap! Sorry to have bothered you all.

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jan 8, 2015

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Thinking about getting a universal remote. From what I understand, the logitech harmony series is the recommended product, but their line is pretty diverse, with prices ranging from $70 to $350. I know very little about good universal remotes so I'm not sure what sort of features there are in the higher end models that I would care enough about to drop a few hundred on vs $100.
Can anyone with more experience with the remotes give me any sort of advice on what I should shoot for?

I don't plan on using it for any sort of home automation, just a receiver and TV mostly but if it works for game consoles (ps3, 360, wii u) that's a pretty big plus.

On the cheaper end of the spectrum, I have the Harmony 650 It's pretty good and does what I need it to. The only problem I have with it is that it really REALLY REALLY wants you to know how it works. Any time it loses power for any reason, like if you change the batteries or drop it on the floor, it will force you to go through the unskippable tutorial before you can use it again. It happens often enough to be pretty irritating, but it does everything else I want it to do.

There is a similar model Harmony Remote that is advertised as "rechargeable." Don't be fooled. The only reason it's rechargeable is it takes rechargeable AA batteries and you can charge it by plugging a USB into the remote. But you can't use the remote while it's plugged in, so you might as well get the regular kind and swap rechargeable batteries around in that one. I feel like the rechargeable version didn't force me to do the tutorial anywhere near as much, though, so that might be a consideration.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I now need a microwave that my boyfriend won't bitch about.

900-1200 watts, +30 seconds button, "intuitive power controls." Ideally around $100.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Defenestration posted:

I now need a microwave that my boyfriend won't bitch about.

900-1200 watts, +30 seconds button, "intuitive power controls." Ideally around $100.

I have this one and I like it a whole lot. It's $129, but if you get it from Kohls, there's a 20% coupon that ends today, and there'll more than likely be another one starting soon.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

couldcareless posted:

Thinking about getting a universal remote. From what I understand, the logitech harmony series is the recommended product, but their line is pretty diverse, with prices ranging from $70 to $350. I know very little about good universal remotes so I'm not sure what sort of features there are in the higher end models that I would care enough about to drop a few hundred on vs $100.
Can anyone with more experience with the remotes give me any sort of advice on what I should shoot for?

I don't plan on using it for any sort of home automation, just a receiver and TV mostly but if it works for game consoles (ps3, 360, wii u) that's a pretty big plus.

If you can find them I highly recommend the Harmony 300 or 350. Logitech discontinued them a few years ago but its basically a no-frills remote with the USB programmable Harmony software for under $50. I've had one for a few years now, the batteries last forever and if your device isn't on the supported list you can teach it using the device's original remote.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Anyone have any advice on an iced tea maker? I like iced tea, am lazy, and have disposable income.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Anyone have any suggestions for some natural lighting? I work third shift and I usually try to stay up during that time on my days off in order to keep my schedule the same. However I have noticed that if I am at home with no lights on I get extremely tired very quickly (drat lack of sunlight! :argh:). So I am hoping to get some sort of lamp or natural sunlight type dealio to help me out when I am at home.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I need a recommendation for a fitness tracker that has GPS and heart monitor functions (other bells and whistles are optional) and can sync with an iPhone. Fancy touchscreen would be nice too!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Anyone have any advice on an iced tea maker? I like iced tea, am lazy, and have disposable income.

No advice, but I like your forthrightness.

Edit: I take that back, you could just make Sun tea. Simply get a large glass jar, put in a few tea bags (about 1 per 8floz), fill with room temp water, close the jar loosely, let sit in the sun 3-5 hours, add sugar if desired, enjoy.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Jan 9, 2015

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

A large electric kettle + tea bags + pitcher + fridge

x 2 if you want to never run out

I do this a lot in the summer and I assure you I am the laziest cook you will meet

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Chinaman7000 posted:

E: Beaten...but I have a picture. :colbert:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Isn't there some danger in sun tea; like some bacteria that grows easily if you do it wrong?
Or maybe that's if you add in sugar as it's steeping.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Van Dis posted:

I need a backpack with two zippered areas, one of which has a padded slot for a laptop. The zippers need to not break after 1-2 years of use and ideally it'll have clips to secure across the torso. Any favorite backpacks along these lines?

I bought this for school, working out pretty well so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HFJA12/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

I just had a Swiss Gear backpack but that's the one with the lovely zippers so I'm not gonna buy from them again. I went with the North Face Recon after the rec here and reddit's Buy It For Life forum.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Van Dis posted:

I just had a Swiss Gear backpack but that's the one with the lovely zippers so I'm not gonna buy from them again. I went with the North Face Recon after the rec here and reddit's Buy It For Life forum.

I have an Osprey Quasar. I use that for everything.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Inzombiac posted:

Isn't there some danger in sun tea; like some bacteria that grows easily if you do it wrong?

You should sterilize the bottle in between usages ( I just pour in boiling water and swish around).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What is the best, most effective hand moisturizer available in the U.S.? If you aren't paying attention it is cold as gently caress here in Chicago (and everywhere else), and my hands always get dry and chapped when it's cold out. This winter it's bad enough that my skin has cracked to the point of bleeding in a few spots, but every lotion I have either needs a lot applied to be effective (and leaves my hands and greasy) or needs to be reapplied every 15 minutes. Maybe I need some sort of skin repair lotion instead, so if you have one you like please let me know about that as well.

Julet Esqu posted:

My blender broke! It was a lovely Food Network blender that somebody gave me as a gift. Now I would like to take this opportunity to get something less lovely.

I actually just bought a Ninja blender today (the 900 watt version) at Target on sale for under $100, I've only used it once but it was great and much easier to clean than the last one I had. I also think I started that blender convo in GWS if you haven't gone there to ask, they all told me to get a Vitamix blender but those run $500 new which is insane to a relative cooking novice like me. They did say you can get refurbished ones for ~$300 which is still a little crazy to me, if you have the money get one and let me know how much I missed out.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Jan 11, 2015

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

C-Euro posted:

What is the best, most effective hand moisturizer available in the U.S.?

That would be Okeeffe's Hand Cream

pizza cat
Jul 30, 2011
Does anyone have any recommendations for some good solar-powered landscape / garden lights? I'd like to get some to replace the ones in my mom's front yard, which have gotten sad and dim and useless. She prefers solar-powered ones, probably because she doesn't have to replace batteries.

For the tea, you can just cold brew it by putting cold water and teabags in a pitcher overnight. If you wanna spend money you can just get a nice 'n fancy pitcher.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Was going to post this, so I'll just agree with it. I just picked up my first jar of this stuff and it had done wonders for me.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oh yeah. Okeefe's is amazing. It makes your skin feel moisturized without the fragrances and gross, oily feeling that most moisturizers leave.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I will be trying out these tea ideas despite feeling let down by not having a single magic device that does this all for me with minimal cleaning.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Chinaman7000 posted:

I will be trying out these tea ideas despite feeling let down by not having a single magic device that does this all for me with minimal cleaning.

No one bothered to recommended a brand but they aren't hard to find:
https://www.google.com/#q=iced+tea+maker

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Pneub posted:

No one bothered to recommended a brand but they aren't hard to find:
https://www.google.com/#q=iced+tea+maker

Yeah I know, I was fishing for a specific recommendation.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I'm trying to decide between getting a Kanken or Herschel backpack; any thoughts on durability or whatever? I like how the kankens look but they're twice the price.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Uhhhh, doesn't sun tea just mean pee?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I had to watch that whole episode of 30 Rock after the first post on this topic.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What's a good scanner/printer combo? I guess something that can print decent photos would
be cool too. Something that isn't a complete scam with ink cartridges

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Christoff posted:

What's a good scanner/printer combo? I guess something that can print decent photos would
be cool too. Something that isn't a complete scam with ink cartridges

Printer Megathread!

Any suggestions on a decent tablet for web browsing / pdf reading / movie watching?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Any recommendations for a good Sous Vide?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Tea Bone posted:

Any recommendations for a good Sous Vide?

I got the Anova One awhile back when there was that $100 discount floating around. Not sure what the top contender is now but I would ask in the sous vide megathread

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Any good aftershave recommendations? Is that the stuff that helps with razor burn? I don't have facial hair, but my husband does.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

kinmik posted:

Any good aftershave recommendations? Is that the stuff that helps with razor burn? I don't have facial hair, but my husband does.
There's like a million goons in the wet shaving megathread willing to give you a three page essay each on the virtues of safety razors and what fancy products they accessorize with.

I like the Nivea Balm stuff..

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
I need a power strip for my office (computer, printer, some lights, speakers, etc.), preferably with some hooks. My desk looks like this.

I'd like to hand the strip from the metallic mesh so it doesn't lie on the floor. And I need a pretty long cord, since my office sadly has few/ill-placed outlets.

Is brand important, or are they all pretty much equivalent?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I need a power strip for my office (computer, printer, some lights, speakers, etc.), preferably with some hooks. My desk looks like this.

I'd like to hand the strip from the metallic mesh so it doesn't lie on the floor. And I need a pretty long cord, since my office sadly has few/ill-placed outlets.

Is brand important, or are they all pretty much equivalent?

What's mostly important is confirming that you are buying something with adequate surge protection for the equipment on it and not just a glorified extension cord. A lot of the "better" brands also have some measure of reimbursement for if the surge protector fails to protect your equipment, if that's important to you.

We use APC stuff at work and it's been good enough that I've bought a few for use at home. Something like this should be suitable (specs here) for your computer equipment and while it doesn't have hooks, it does have screw mounts on the back that you should be able to use to attach it to that screen on the desk. It's got a 10ft cord, which should hopefully be enough to run to one of your outlets.

Hope this helps!

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's like a million goons in the wet shaving megathread willing to give you a three page essay each on the virtues of safety razors and what fancy products they accessorize with.

I like the Nivea Balm stuff..
Hey thanks! Poking around the suggestions in the OP right now, and will look into the Nivea aftershave.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the O'Keeffe recommendation, stuff is legit even though my fiancee says it smells.

Speaking of smells, how about a good mouthwash that doesn't make my mouth feel like poo poo in the morning? What I mean by that is that I'm currently using Listerine Total Care (the purple stuff), which my dentist says is the most effective mouthwash on the market but in the morning my mouth feels like I've been out drinking a bunch the night before because the mouthwash is 20+% alcohol. Is there something I could be using that's just as effective but not as gross-feeling?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of smells, how about a good mouthwash that doesn't make my mouth feel like poo poo in the morning?

Act. Literally everybody go use Act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of smells, how about a good mouthwash that doesn't make my mouth feel like poo poo in the morning?

TheraBreath Dentist Recommended Fresh Breath Oral Rinse - Mild Mint Flavor, 16 Ounce (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ET76AI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wqGTub0DKK0T1