Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SaltLick posted:

I already have a 3L water bladder that I need a camelbak-esque pack for. Do they sell just packs anywhere or am I doomed to get a camelbak with a bladder already inside? This is used for mountain biking so something that would go well with that.

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...der%2Caps%2C276

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just want to throw in. I own this, it's great.

The food scale is great too. I had some ground turkey on it once, and sprinkled some garlic salt on there - not much; and the number went up. I'm a big fan of this brand for all the stuff I wanna weigh.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Any recommendations for a good mouthwash that wont leave me with a dry mouth for the rest of the day?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Turns out a daypack was what I'm looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-234900-345-P-Daylite-Backpack/dp/B00AOIC664

I think I found something perfect and cheap

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Tea Bone posted:

Any recommendations for a good mouthwash that wont leave me with a dry mouth for the rest of the day?

Try out

TheraBreath Dentist Recommended Fresh Breath Oral Rinse - Mild Mint Flavor, 16 Ounce (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ET76AI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_IRo3ub19D2D74
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ET76AI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_IRo3ub19D2D74

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Tea Bone posted:

Or ACT mouthwash.

http://www.amazon.com/Restoring-Flu...s=act+mouthwash

Even has a formula for Dry Mouth

http://www.amazon.com/ACT-Total-Soo...mouth+mouthwash

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Thanks guys. Couldn't find the ACT on the UK amazon so I've gone with the TheraBreath.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
So I've been thinking about picking up some type of handheld system so I can play video games during my commute to/from work on the subway, but since I'm really just a casual gamer I'm not too sure which one to get. I figure I'll be choosing between a PS Vita or a 3DS but if there are other choices I'd love to hear about them. I know you guys all have opinions on video games, so would anyone care to recommend one system over the other? If it matters, I'm not really one for puzzle games as my tastes lean more towards shooters and beat-em-ups and the like but I am open to pretty much anything that's cool and interesting and will occupy my time. Any recommendations or help you guys can offer before I plunk down my hard earned cash would be greatly appreciated!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The PS vita is really awesome and intuitive. It's a lot better than the 3DS in a lot of ways but of course doesn't have all the good games. The vita is mostly animes and ports. But the few unique games it has are amazing. It has a lot of "real" games that feel like you're playing a console. Plus if you have a PS4 its a no-brainer.

Vita has much better graphics as well. The memory cards are quite expensive but you can find decent deal bundles or used off craigslist.

I'd look into what games each has to offer and go from there. I feel like vita is something where you're either going to play it 2 hours everyday or its going to just collect dust and lose its novelty really fast. DS is much better all around and a safer bet. All that being said I love my vita.

Vita has killzone which is an amazingly done FPS for a handheld. DS has smash brothers for fighting. Vita has a port of most popular fighting games and play station battle Allstars. Aside from smash bros vita wins in the fighting games

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 06:47 on Feb 14, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How about kitchen knife sets I can buy online?
I've never purchased one of those that come with a block and sharpener so I don't know what's quality and what's overpriced pressed aluminum.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Inzombiac posted:

I've never purchased one of those that come with a block and sharpener so I don't know what's quality and what's overpriced pressed aluminum.

Knife sets are pretty junky. Best bet to buy individual knives that you need.

quote:

Continuing with the Knife Guide. Remember to always cut only on plastic or wood as ceramic, glass, rock and metal will ruin your knife. Once you buy it you need to keep it sharp. Dull knives force you to use much more effort which leads to knife injuries. Then head on over to The Kitchen Knife Thread. If your looking for more specific recommendations then head on over to the GWS Product Recommendation Thread

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Inzombiac posted:

Skip the knife sets and just buy the knives you need and a knife block. I recommend Icel. Never had a kitchen knife that held an edge better. They aren't super pretty, but they're great knives.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Like the guy above me said, gently caress knife sets. A chef's knife, a paring knife, and a $5 serrated knife will fulfill 99% of your needs and give you much better quality for the price.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So what's a good chefs knife?

I love my ceramic knives but they definitely only fill a small niche

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My Tojiro dp has served me very well.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Does anyone have any recommendations on heated mats/ warming beds for pets? It got freakishly cold here in NJ, and I wanted to keep my dogs near their usual sleeping spot and away from the radiator that occasionally produces a bit of scalding hot water.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So what's a good chefs knife?

I love my ceramic knives but they definitely only fill a small niche

The standard recommendation seems to be a Victorinox chef's knife. You can get it either with rosewood or Fribrox for the handle and 8 or10".

I started with an 8" years and years ago and then got a 10", but for some reason I'm still just addicted to my 8" size, probably cause I'm so used to it. A 10" blade is nice for lining up a bunch of batons I want to dice up though so I sometimes wished I just learned with that. Real chef's can chime in on size if that's something you care about.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-8-...8-Inch+rosewood

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-8-Inch-Fibrox-Straight/dp/B008M5U1C2

Also, treat your knife with respect and buy a guard that fits it. Never put it in the dishwasher and get something to hone it with at the very least.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47...ch+Knife+Blades

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Need a recommendation on some sort of lamp / bulb something to use at my computer desk to simulate daylight. I work third shift and normally try to stay up on my off days during my third shift hours to keep a consistent sleeping pattern. However, the problem I am having is that if I have an exhausting day at work and end up sleeping in an extra hour or two, by the time I wake up the sun has already set and my body goes to crap and wants to just go back to sleep.

tl;dr - need something to simulate day light for my computer desk.

Also would love a computer desk recommendation.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

The Mentalizer posted:

So I've been thinking about picking up some type of handheld system so I can play video games during my commute to/from work on the subway, but since I'm really just a casual gamer I'm not too sure which one to get. I figure I'll be choosing between a PS Vita or a 3DS but if there are other choices I'd love to hear about them. I know you guys all have opinions on video games, so would anyone care to recommend one system over the other? If it matters, I'm not really one for puzzle games as my tastes lean more towards shooters and beat-em-ups and the like but I am open to pretty much anything that's cool and interesting and will occupy my time. Any recommendations or help you guys can offer before I plunk down my hard earned cash would be greatly appreciated!

I have yet to see a really good shooter for the 3DS, so if that's critical you might want to think Vita. I have a DS for the classic Nintendo stuff, and love that I can play Zelda and Smash Bros on the go. The Monster Hunter games are great for the it as well if they are your idea of a 'beat-em-up'.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Etrips posted:

Need a recommendation on some sort of lamp / bulb something to use at my computer desk to simulate daylight. I work third shift and normally try to stay up on my off days during my third shift hours to keep a consistent sleeping pattern. However, the problem I am having is that if I have an exhausting day at work and end up sleeping in an extra hour or two, by the time I wake up the sun has already set and my body goes to crap and wants to just go back to sleep.

I think you're looking for full spectrum lighting or something along those lines.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunlight-Natural-Spectrum-Simulates-Daylight/dp/B003DRBOJ8

My go to computer desk is just an IKEA Galant desk top and it works great.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Etrips posted:

If you haven't already, you can get the program flux that automatically adjusts your monitor to match sunlight i.e. bluer light during the day and warmer orange tones during the evening. You can adjust the time offset so it's "day" during the night. Won't replace your need for a light at your desk but it might help a little.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

bamhand posted:

If you haven't already, you can get the program flux that automatically adjusts your monitor to match sunlight i.e. bluer light during the day and warmer orange tones during the evening. You can adjust the time offset so it's "day" during the night. Won't replace your need for a light at your desk but it might help a little.
My husband uses this and he's said it's greatly reduced his eye strain since he wakes up early in the morning. I don't know if it would help you in your situation, but I would recommend it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

F.lux is pretty popular these days and I assume most people know about it but if you don't have it its a must ! There's also an android app I believe and one for iOS (but only jailbroken because reasons)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I need a new wallet. Preferably leather but I don't really care about the color. Just want something tough that'll last a long time. I've had a khol's brand wallet for like 10 years and it's now actively failing at being a wallet.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Crain posted:

I need a new wallet. Preferably leather but I don't really care about the color. Just want something tough that'll last a long time. I've had a khol's brand wallet for like 10 years and it's now actively failing at being a wallet.

Any specific type of wallet? I really like my Saddleback Front Pocket ID wallet. Leather, 4 colors to choose from, 100 year warranty. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/frontpocketidwallet

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Crain posted:

I enjoy my Bellroy wallet

http://bellroy.com/

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

SaltLick posted:

My go to computer desk is just an IKEA Galant desk top and it works great.

I would be really careful about getting an Ikea Galant/Bekant. They don't make straight up Galant anymore and have switched them all over the Bekants where the legs are interchangeable between the two tops. The plastic caps used to attach the legs to the desk have done nothing but been a huge loving pain for me. When I talked to my local ikea I bought it from because I couldn't get the caps popped out they insisted that it was not meant to be taken apart once it's put together, so keep that in mind. I might have to destroy the entire top if I can't get it apart when I move just to get the drat thing out of the apartment, and I have to throw out the legs anyway since they wiggle despite being properly tightened (the sales rep confirmed it was a problem with the legs and not with my assembly). To be fair it's been a sturdy desk despite that and as long as I keep it as low as the legs allow me to it doesn't wiggle around too badly.

I've had nothing but good experiences with 2 different Micke desks with just the basic two drawers in the desk top and nothing else. Just make sure it's on even flooring since you can't adjust the feet like the Galant/Bekant desks. It's also almost $100 cheaper if that's an issue for you.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I got a mighty wallet ten years ago and its holding up very well in addition to being a slim wallet. Its not leather its that stuff (paper and plastic combo) postal envelopes are made of and doesn't wear.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

THF13 posted:

Any specific type of wallet? I really like my Saddleback Front Pocket ID wallet. Leather, 4 colors to choose from, 100 year warranty. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/frontpocketidwallet

drat that's some nice leather goods. I think I'm actually going to get the bifold wallet in medium size. Considering it's a 100 year warranty I suppose it's the last wallet I'll ever get. I might also get one of the large travel wallets.

And maybe a duffel bag.

And a backpack.

Kinda want that suitcase too...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

amityville anus posted:

I got a mighty wallet ten years ago and its holding up very well in addition to being a slim wallet. Its not leather its that stuff (paper and plastic combo) postal envelopes are made of and doesn't wear.

I love mine and you can make your own by uploading pics for like $20 or something. But it's not very professional if that's a concern

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

THF13 posted:

I got one of these and it's wearing well. A bit thicker than my old one due to substantial stitching and better leather.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

tribbledirigible posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on heated mats/ warming beds for pets? It got freakishly cold here in NJ, and I wanted to keep my dogs near their usual sleeping spot and away from the radiator that occasionally produces a bit of scalding hot water.

http://www.khpet.com/ This company is, as far as I know, the standard in heated pet stuff. I worked pet supply retail for a long time, and we only ever ordered heated beds on special order, but don't remember any complaints.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I love mine and you can make your own by uploading pics for like $20 or something. But it's not very professional if that's a concern

I speak from experience in saying that people are more likely to see my dick than they are my wallet. If you want me to pay you better play

with my balls.

KoB
May 1, 2009

The Mentalizer posted:

The Vita is great because of its wide range of indie titles (if you PC game youve probably seen most of them by this point though) that are really fantastic and offer a huge range of genres. It also has the usual music/video/media/etc options you might want. Youre not going to find a large number of big budget titles worth playing but the indie scene is great.

The 3DS is much more limited as a general entertainment device. It will play games and I think you can run netflix I guess. But pretty much all of nintendo's games are fantastic and its got a huge library of games to play.

I'd fully recommend the 3DS over the Vita, youre not really going to find any worth-playing FPS games on either.

e: On a different subject, can anyone recommend a Nexus 5 case/wallet?

KoB has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Feb 20, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not that it should sway you one way or the other but the vita killzone is surprisingly good

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SaltLick posted:

I think you're looking for full spectrum lighting or something along those lines.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunlight-Natural-Spectrum-Simulates-Daylight/dp/B003DRBOJ8

Thanks going to try this out.

bamhand posted:

Yeah I've already been using flux for years. I know how to get a good nights (day) sleep. But right now it's the staying up part that is hard.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Office chair talk! I'm currently using an old leather executive chair at work that I want to replace. It's fairly comfortable but it gets way too hot after 8 hours of work. I'm looking for a high backed mesh back AND seat chair. A headrest would be nice but it's a deal-breaker. The ones google has lead me to are way too expensive, I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I really dig bungle chairs. I think I have this one

ITALMODERN Bradley High Back Bungie Office Chair, Black Bungies / Graphite Black Frame https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OW7JSE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_hY25ub1VYN95P
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OW7JSE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_hY25ub1VYN95P

They're a bit closer to $300 but there's a lot of options on Amazon. The best part? No butt funk from years of farts and a nice draft on your nuts

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Sneeing Emu posted:

Office chair talk! I'm currently using an old leather executive chair at work that I want to replace. It's fairly comfortable but it gets way too hot after 8 hours of work. I'm looking for a high backed mesh back AND seat chair. A headrest would be nice but it's a deal-breaker. The ones google has lead me to are way too expensive, I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

$200 isn't going to get you much in terms of office chairs. But for a mesh in that price range I would look at the ikea Markus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah an office chair is like a bed. If you're spending almost 1/3 of your life on it maybe be a little spendy