Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

UberJumper posted:

So i unlocked the P3 Crew, and i am utterly baffled by my party composition. There is so much choice and i just want to use everyone but Ken.

I was thinking along the lines of: P4MC - Aigis - Kanji / Naoto - P3MC

Is this decent? I really have no idea what i am doing however.

That was literally my end game party (had to swap out Yukari for P3MC for a quest and just kept him because :effort:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zurai posted:

Put Aigis in the back, though. There are plenty of ranged physical skills, and she's a fantastic tank made even more fantastic by taking half damage in the back row.

Aigis goes in the front because Swordbreaker is so much better for the frontline.

I wish characters had more banter with each other, I want to use Junpei but I think his only banter is with Yukari who is probably the second weakest character overall.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I ended up switching Kanji for Chie because i mostly missed her comments about meat. This game is fan-service and i love absolutely every single minute of it.

One question on the second dungeon, do i really need to walk over all these stupid spikes to fully map the dungeon so i can open the chest?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes but there's an item that makes you immune to floor damage for like 40 steps

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
There's always play coins

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I feel like they gave us way too many characters, and the fact they don't level well outside of battle means you're either grinding away or really sticking with 5 or 6.

Naoto is absolutely the most useful character. Does anyone actually not use her?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Aigis goes in the front because Swordbreaker is so much better for the frontline.

I wish characters had more banter with each other, I want to use Junpei but I think his only banter is with Yukari who is probably the second weakest character overall.

OTOH Aigis with pain-eater in the backline makes your party basically unkillable by damage

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

gannyGrabber posted:

I feel like they gave us way too many characters, and the fact they don't level well outside of battle means you're either grinding away or really sticking with 5 or 6.

Naoto is absolutely the most useful character. Does anyone actually not use her?

I'm running two files, one where I am so far not using her. My party on that one is P3MC, P4MC, Kanji, Aigis, and Zen/Rei. I'm only on the Group Date Cafe on that file, but so far it's been simple enough just with abusing other status effects besides instant death.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

gannyGrabber posted:

I didn't, and didn't miss her either. Naoto does nothing you can't accomplish just as well (or better) with sub-personas.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can't actually do that job better with just a sub-persona. The entire reason that Naoto is the best at that job is specifically because she has those skills built in, in addition to having the perfect stats to use them. Nobody else can get nearly as much use out of their limited skill slots for the instant death/status build as her. That's not to say you can't get Mahama/Mamudo and Impure Reach all on one sub-persona or through skill cards, but the former isn't easy and the latter requires you to be half way through the game.

It's much easier to get Panic Circle/Tentarafoo and Impure Reach on Naoto, and she's better at using them than nearly anyone.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Since you can just pick whatever skills you like nowadays, it's really not hard to get both mahama/mudo, tentarafoo, and impure reach on a single sub-persona. So yeah, saying you'll be better at it than Naoto may be exaggerating, but you can quite easily have all the relevant skills on any character(s) you like.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I don't use Naoto. The luck and magic loss is more than made up for by the fact that Koromaru goes first, always. Always.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Woops just saw there was a PQ thread! Had a question: My characters are level 60 and i was wondering if getting zen/rei to 63 is worth it for the king's card skill or if I should replace them for a persona user? They've fallen off badly in terms of usefulness and I kept them in the party for some reason.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I don'y even bother with the status effects. Naoto is there for Ma-insta kill, followed by Megido. Pretty much every random battle is won by the start of the second turn.

For bosses I sub her out, problem solved.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vilkacis posted:

Since you can just pick whatever skills you like nowadays, it's really not hard to get both mahama/mudo, tentarafoo, and impure reach on a single sub-persona. So yeah, saying you'll be better at it than Naoto may be exaggerating, but you can quite easily have all the relevant skills on any character(s) you like.

You are severely limited in what skills you can get on someone. You don't have enough skill slots for cards to get everything on one person, and it is not actually that easy to get four specific skills on one thing. You can get the job done, but Naoto is considered to be far and away the best at it for a good reason.

gannyGrabber posted:

I don'y even bother with the status effects. Naoto is there for Ma-insta kill, followed by Megido. Pretty much every random battle is won by the start of the second turn.

For bosses I sub her out, problem solved.

Panicked enemies cannot use skills, cannot dodge, take bonus damage if you have the Death's Scythe ability, and can waste turns hitting themselves to deal even more damage. Panic is your best weapon against bosses and FOEs.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Lakbay posted:

Woops just saw there was a PQ thread! Had a question: My characters are level 60 and i was wondering if getting zen/rei to 63 is worth it for the king's card skill or if I should replace them for a persona user? They've fallen off badly in terms of usefulness and I kept them in the party for some reason.

I like Zen and Rei, but consensus is that they're pretty much nowhere near as good as a full-time persona user, even with all of their abilities. They're a jack of all trades, master of none. That should influence your decision.

If you like the fact that they have access to all elemental spells, maybe grab a Tzitzimatl and snag it onto someone for much the same effect. Zen and Rei are nice because of stuff like that and their natural SP regen, but they'll never be heavy hitters and their only status effect is Curse, which is a coin toss in terms of usefulness- especially when Panic is easily available to many other party members.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I used Zen and Rei for the whole game because why would you not use the main characters of the game? :shrug:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Grimace posted:

I like Zen and Rei, but consensus is that they're pretty much nowhere near as good as a full-time persona user, even with all of their abilities. They're a jack of all trades, master of none. That should influence your decision.

If you like the fact that they have access to all elemental spells, maybe grab a Tzitzimatl and snag it onto someone for much the same effect. Zen and Rei are nice because of stuff like that and their natural SP regen, but they'll never be heavy hitters and their only status effect is Curse, which is a coin toss in terms of usefulness- especially when Panic is easily available to many other party members.

They are great in the early game for sure, especially before you get sub personas since they recover SP on their own. Specialization gets higher numbers, but I like that I can rely on Z&R for any given situation--if I gotta deal damage, I can probably hit a weakness, I can heal the team, I can buff the team, I can put up a shield against status effects, they have enough tools to warrant use. Hex Slice is great too if you need a damage-dealing status ailment.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

You are severely limited in what skills you can get on someone.

Not really? Including sub and skill cards, that's ten open slots per character. It's more than enough, outside some very specific builds.

quote:

You don't have enough skill slots for cards to get everything on one person,

We're talking about four skills here, and characters can have four skill cards - so yes, you can fit them all on a single person using only cards. (Mitsuru or Yosuke only need three, since they come with Tentarafoo naturally.) Or you can spread them between cards and subs, which is probably the easiest way.

quote:

and it is not actually that easy to get four specific skills on one thing.

We'll have to agree to disagree. That aside, it only needs to be done once since you can pass along all four through triple fusions after that.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Thanks for the advice, I switched out Z&R for Aigis since she seems highly rated everywhere and I had her benched with growth 3 for awhile. Since I'm abusing Naoto, it seems everything that uses SP that isn't a status effect/buff/debuff seems garbage and a waste and physical skills/crits are the way to go, at least in the mid-60s where I am now.

Does new game+ have buffed enemies?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, I just got to the Evil Spirit Club and this is a thing. :ohdear:

I killed the baby FOE that showed up to jump scare me, though, so now 3/5 of my party has 180 DEF Armor that greatly resists binds. :dance:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, I just got to the Evil Spirit Club and this is a thing. :ohdear:

I killed the baby FOE that showed up to jump scare me, though, so now 3/5 of my party has 180 DEF Armor that greatly resists binds. :dance:

Yeah, I killed one of those punks as soon as it showed up and did the same thing. The dungeon is long but is fairly easy after that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lakbay posted:

Thanks for the advice, I switched out Z&R for Aigis since she seems highly rated everywhere and I had her benched with growth 3 for awhile. Since I'm abusing Naoto, it seems everything that uses SP that isn't a status effect/buff/debuff seems garbage and a waste and physical skills/crits are the way to go, at least in the mid-60s where I am now.

Does new game+ have buffed enemies?

You get an optional fight with superbosses after the final dungeon if you've played both routes, but otherwise nothing new, except the ability to steamroll everything with level 60+ characters if you wanted.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Man I love both Etrian Odyssey and Persona games but for some reason the later dungeons in this game are totally draining me. The gimmicks are overwhelming, ever present and having to backtrack through whole areas constantly just isn't very fun, the encounter rate also seems super high most of the time. Currently on Inaba Pride Festival floor 2 and I can't take all these gimmicks anymore, give me back my simple movement based FOEs! I'll take Depth Dancers over this any time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As far as I can tell, the game is designed under the assumption that you're insta-killing all enemies with Mahamaon. There are a lot of encounters, but they're pretty trivial and don't take much time so it didn't bother me much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kill the FOEs, ignore the gimmicks when you can. The game doesn't expect you to even try that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Maybe I should stop playing on hard and just do that. Generally the game seems to expect you to fight the FOEs after you clear the area boss.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doesn't matter if you're on hard, use panic. The forth dungeon FOEs are dodgey little bastards, but once you panic them it's all the same.

edit: honestly the forth dungeon FOEs are the hardest enemies in the entire game purely because they're the hardest to hit with status effects

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 12, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I would say the more pressing reason to panic them is that otherwise they can cast Diarahan at any time and that's annoying.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Alright i am on Dungeon 3 and i am starting to get my rear end kicked. It really seems the actual elemental damage spells simply do not seem that powerful at all and they tend to cost an absurd amount of SP for the little damage they cause. Chie is really the only one who is actually doing damage, and that is mostly from some weakish physical attacks. Aigis just sits there with swordbreaker taking hits.

I've looked online and i see one of the big tactics is apparently to use linking?

My party is this:

P4MC - Chie - Aigis
Naoto - P3MC

The turn order always seems to go: P3MC->Naoto->P4MC->Chie->Aigis

But since those link skills seem to be physical attacks isn't having P3MC/Naoto cast them a bad idea since back row has poor physical attacks?

I am level 25 right now, and my party is kind of like this:

P3MC (High Pixie) -> Healer/Some random spells
Naoto (Incubus) -> Light/Dark/Poison/Impure Reach
P4MC (Jack Frost) -> Ice/Lighting Spells/Scarecrow
Aigis (Oni) -> Tank/Random Physical attacks
Chie (Eligor) -> Random Physical attacks

Any tips / suggestions for actually doing consistant damage? When my instant kill spells fail i am basically screwed.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm in my mid-40's and near the end of the third labyrinth. I need some panic skills, so what Personas are available to get some good panic spells for fusing?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

UberJumper posted:

Alright i am on Dungeon 3 and i am starting to get my rear end kicked. It really seems the actual elemental damage spells simply do not seem that powerful at all and they tend to cost an absurd amount of SP for the little damage they cause. Chie is really the only one who is actually doing damage, and that is mostly from some weakish physical attacks. Aigis just sits there with swordbreaker taking hits.

I've looked online and i see one of the big tactics is apparently to use linking?

My party is this:

P4MC - Chie - Aigis
Naoto - P3MC

The turn order always seems to go: P3MC->Naoto->P4MC->Chie->Aigis

But since those link skills seem to be physical attacks isn't having P3MC/Naoto cast them a bad idea since back row has poor physical attacks?

I am level 25 right now, and my party is kind of like this:

P3MC (High Pixie) -> Healer/Some random spells
Naoto (Incubus) -> Light/Dark/Poison/Impure Reach
P4MC (Jack Frost) -> Ice/Lighting Spells/Scarecrow
Aigis (Oni) -> Tank/Random Physical attacks
Chie (Eligor) -> Random Physical attacks

Any tips / suggestions for actually doing consistant damage? When my instant kill spells fail i am basically screwed.

You can land agility bind or panic and abuse Myriad Arrows for a ton of damage. If you want to use links, having Bestial Roar/Dragon Cry helps ensure they go first, or you can just put them on your naturally fastest dude. You'll want Golden Link, and the best link multiplier you can get. Having multiple link skills at once increases the # of links too, but thats a waste of slots. Links do OK damage, and you can use them with Myriad Arrows spam (they'll only activate once per person, though), so go nuts, though I've only noticed them doing good amounts of damage when you're actually hitting weaknesses.

If you're doing Links + Myriad Arrows spam, if you're not hitting a weakness with the link damage, you're probably going to need Dragon Cry, as Myriad Arrow users tend to land crits at least once and go into boost, making them act before your link starter. You could also use Rise's act first ability if you want.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

These are my current Personas for my party members. Some of them have abilities I like, but can't seem to transfer over to new Personas at times, making me wary of fusing them.

What's a good recommendation on what I should do with these or how I can improve these?

I'm on Evil Spirit Club (Floor 2), so tips on getting some Resist Dark on these guys would be great.

I also hear there's something called Skill Extraction? How do I access that?

---

Chie: Rakshasa (Lv. 38) - Immunity Buffer, First Star, Swift Strike, Myriad Arrows, Shura Instincts, Shura Tensei

P4MC: Dominion (Lv. 36) - Light Wall, Holy Touch, Magarula, Null Curse, Resist Light, Mediarama

Aigis: Ose (Lv. 33) - Death Chaser, Gokuentou, Shinkuuha, Stun Circle, Pain-Eater, Critical Eye

P3MC: Orpheus Telos (Lv. 34) - Flame Link, Golden Link, Healing Harp, Fire Amp, Absorb Fire, Return from Yomi

Naoto: Pyro Jack (Lv. 34) - Absorb Fire, Maragi, Diarama, Impure Reach, Restoring Touch, Maragion

Fuuka: Archangel (Lv. 25) - Yomi Return, Life Aid, Orb of Resolve, Clairvoyance, Renewal Ray, Sutakora Fool

Rise: Fortuna (Lv. 29) - Cornucopia, Alleys of Light, Snake Glare, Safety Prayer, Spotter, Clairvoyance

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hazdoc posted:

You can land agility bind or panic and abuse Myriad Arrows for a ton of damage. If you want to use links, having Bestial Roar/Dragon Cry helps ensure they go first, or you can just put them on your naturally fastest dude. You'll want Golden Link, and the best link multiplier you can get. Having multiple link skills at once increases the # of links too, but thats a waste of slots. Links do OK damage, and you can use them with Myriad Arrows spam (they'll only activate once per person, though), so go nuts, though I've only noticed them doing good amounts of damage when you're actually hitting weaknesses.

If you're doing Links + Myriad Arrows spam, if you're not hitting a weakness with the link skill, you're probably going to need Dragon Cry, as Myraid Arrow users tend to land crits at least once and go into boost, making them act before your link starter. You could also use Rise's act first ability if you want.

Instant spells are king in the 3rd dungeon, so it's a good thing to have Naoto around, and you can give P3MC something like Succubus, which comes with innate Lullaby Song + Impure Reach, which can at least incapacitate some enemies.

It's around the 3rd dungeon that magic falls off; physical attacks are far better. Have Fuuka set up Healing Breeze for the tougher battles to give them a constantly regenerating resource pool for it. Give Chie, P4MC and Aigis physical-oriented Personas; Swift Strike and Shikuuha are decent skills for your level. There are some tough spellcasters in the 3rd dungeon, so Kidney Smash is another option (though they should be your first priority).

Linking is good, but you do need to build around it.

It gets a lot easier once Naoto hits level 38 and learns Mahamaon.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Any tips / suggestions for actually doing consistant damage?

Don't even try to do damage in random battles. Just give P3MC (and maybe one/some of the others too) mahama/mudo and impure reach as well and spam it on everything. It's kinda boring, but, it's by far the quickest and easiest way to kill enemies vulnerable to it (so basically everything) - and if you're using them, there's no reason not to have them on multiple people.

When you do need to do damage (bosses/FOEs), keep in mind that you'll do less of it if your persona is like five levels or more behind the character using it, so level them up or replace them if that happens.

Linking is pretty great. To make full use of it though, you need the skills Golden Link and Double/Triple/etc Link, both of which are pretty rare. Turdak is the first really good persona for this, but it's level 27 and you have to beat Elizabeth's first duel quest before you can make it.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm in my mid-40's and near the end of the third labyrinth. I need some panic skills, so what Personas are available to get some good panic spells for fusing?

Fortune Empusa (lv 6) or Moon Alarune (lv 39) learn Tentarafoo, which panics all enemies.

Hazdoc posted:

You can land agility bind or panic and abuse Myriad Arrows for a ton of damage.

Myriad Arrows is a long way off if he's still using subs in the teen levels.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Give Naoto Impure Reach and Mahamaon/Mamudoon your way to victory all day every day. For bosses, have Naoto cast panic instead. P3MC is also good at status effects, so feel free to give him Impure Reach/Binding Circle as well. You can give one Alice and the other Daisoujou to be absolutely sure you never have to deal with a random encounter ever again.

Give your attackers Death's Scythe and Myriad Arrows as soon as you can. Death's Scythe lets you deal bonus damage to enemies afflicted with a status effect, as if panic weren't broken enough as it is. Physical skills are infinitely better than magic, Myriad Arrows is just the simplest thing to use and deal damage with until you get Hassou Tobi. Before that, use link skills.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 12, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I see.

Incidentally, I just had Naoto one-shot one of those baby FOEs with that Mahamon or whatever.

After I killed it, she leveled up and it upgraded to a more likely to hit variant. :allears:

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.
Beyond instant kills trivialising random encounters, and panic trivialising everything, consider that stacking buffs and de-buffs is far more effective than attacking every turn. A single physical attacker spending three turns buffing then using their best multi-hit physical skill on the fourth produces ludicrous damage far beyond what anything in the game has the HP pool to survive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mumblyfish posted:

Beyond instant kills trivialising random encounters, and panic trivialising everything, consider that stacking buffs and de-buffs is far more effective than attacking every turn. A single physical attacker spending three turns buffing then using their best multi-hit physical skill on the fourth produces ludicrous damage far beyond what anything in the game has the HP pool to survive.

Yeah, the thing to understand is that every buff is unique. You can't have two of the same buff but you can have two similar buffs for hilarious boosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

For anyone having trouble, here are a couple of personas you can import that might help. I tried to get the levels as low as possible so they'll be cheap and available early on.

A handy collection of Mahama, Mamudo, Tentarafoo, and Impure Reach (which increases the chance of inflicting ailments, including instant death). One of these has the basic mahama/mudo, one has the improved versions; either one will make short work of random encounters. Personally, I found the basic ones did the job well enough that I never upgraded to the ma-on versions. Tentarafoo is extremely useful for anything death spells won't work on. Speaking of which...

This one is for bosses or FOEs. Myriad Arrows is incredibly powerful, and Demon's Stab makes it stronger. Dragon Cry makes you act first and boosts your attack power for three rounds, and First Star increases your damage when you attack before the enemies.

Notes:

Myriad Arrows has lovely accuracy, but if you panic the enemy first, they'll be unable to dodge and your attacks will automatically hit. This works on just about everything.

If you fuse three personas that have a total of 13 or more skills between them, you'll be able to transfer four skills - so you can quite easily pass these on to higher-level personas as the game goes on. (Personas that can learn both hama and mudo are semi-rare, but there's still a fair number of them.)

• Locked thread