Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dr. Fetus posted:

FOEs are obstacles to avoid, not enemies to fight. You need to wait until much later before taking them on.

Having said that, they tend to drop materials that you can turn into some pretty kickass equipment, so beating them as soon as reasonably possible is worth doing.

quote:

Who has the automap turned on? I don't since I like drawing my own maps, but the wall radar is handy.

Same here. The default option of automapping off but wall guides on feels like a good compromise between convenience and the feeling of mapping out the dungeon yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, Curse seems like a surprisingly good status effect so far, thanks to damage and HP values being a lot less lopsided between PCs and monsters compared to the Etrian Odyssey series proper.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

i'd recommend committing to a single team, most of your skills come from sub-personas and as long as you keep your party pretty balanced with physical and magic builds and don't take a bunch of characters who are weak to the same element, you should be fine.

Honestly even picking a team full of the same weakness isn't that bad: just find a sub-persona with the appropriate elemental Wall skill, give it to your fastest party member and use it in fights where you know you'll need it. I'm using P3MC, Yosuke and Aigis, who are all weak to electricity, but Yosuke's fast as hell and has a sub-persona with Elec Wall so it's no big deal. Ambushes by elec-using enemies can be bad, but I've got a sub-persona on my navigator with a skill that reduces the chance of them happening, and even if that fails I can usually still survive one round.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Because of the sub-Personas, I think any team is viable, really. You can always get whatever skills you need on someone. I'm running both Kanji and Chie right now which I'm sure is sub-optimal but I like their dialogue too much to not have them around. Although I'm not playing on Risky or anything crazy like that, maybe you have to be a little more discriminating at the high difficulties.

I've been playing on Risky and so far I'd say it's roughly comparable to P4G on Hard -- you still have plenty of freedom on party composition, you just have to be a little careful around unfamiliar enemies and not get in over your head.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Lunar Suite posted:

Do sub-persona HP and SP autorestore or did I get that wrong? So with a high enough sub-Persona SP I can spam even more Hama and Mudo?

They sure do and you sure can. Think of your sub-persona's HP and SP total as a budget that you're allocated for each fight: you can go over budget for FOEs or to get yourself out of a tough situation, but you should usually be able to get through normal battles with minimal HP/SP loss.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

poison damage seems to be a percentage of max health rather than scaling with the attack that caused it like in eo. it did pretty good against early foes but i haven't really used it for a while.

It seems to be both: it's a percentage of max health, but different sources of poison can take away a different percentage. Weapons with a poison effect are a lot weaker than Poison Circle, for example.

By the way, has anyone else noticed an issue with HP regeneration buffs not always restoring health at the end of a round? It seems as if it's related to changing the party formation during battle, which is annoying because I have a couple of characters that I like to switch between rows a lot.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I wonder if even the endings are the same. It doesn't seem like that much is different to warrant another playthrough.

Apparently there's some content exclusive to New Game+, so completionists are gonna be playing it twice anyway.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

I did this a few times in the EO games and I kept getting stuck because of my own mistakes. :argh:

Does Tempest Slash have a high crit rate? I have that on Kanji and :stare:.

Each hit has the normal crit rate as far as I know, but three hits means three chances to crit.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Prism posted:

Until you mentioned that right now I was not aware that setting the field and battle navigators to different people meant they used different skills and I could give them different abilities (I assumed it always used the Field Navigator skills and the battle one was just for voice clips, so just left them to both the same person).

This changes everything.

There's one small tradeoff to this: if you're using both navigators instead of having one set to double duty, they'll both gain experience, but at half the normal rate. Getting your preferred battle navi's native skills a little slower is a small price to pay for having access to two sets of navi skills on sub-personas, though.

ImpAtom posted:

Can Golden Link be passed on to other Persona? It feels like nothing can inherit it.

Not as far as I could tell. Some skills seem not to be inheritable -- I've noticed Endure doesn't seem to pass on to anything either. I bet there's something that gets each of those skills as a skill card, though.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Zurai posted:

Why should you be fighting them? Why is it stupid not to? I didn't intentionally fight any of the FOEs which weren't quest targets until the 3rd labyrinth, and even then I didn't do it until after they'd stopped showing up as puzzle elements.

It's worth fighting one FOE of each type as soon as possible to get their drops for equipment upgrades, but as long as you have a source of poison, fighting one FOE goes pretty fast even if it doesn't have weaknesses you can hit. The game definitely doesn't expect you to brute-force your way through rooms full of FOEs.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

One of the toughest bonus bosses in EO4 is vulnerable to instant kill attacks, too. :v:

In fact, every game in the Etrian Odyssey series (with the possible exception of EO:U) has had at least one honest-to-god boss that's susceptible to instant death.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Dexie posted:

Can you have more then one Magic Circle active at a time?

Nah, they overwrite each other even if they're cast by different characters.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Dexie posted:

Is there a Persona I can get a Curse skill card from?

I need Curse for the Evil Eye quest, and I don't feel like putting Zen & Rei back in the party.

I just bought some Curse Gas items for that quest; that's probably easier than fusing up a new sub-persona or switching around your party.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Do the Growth+ items increase XP gain if the character is in the main party?

I don't believe they did in P3/P4 but the description is a little different in PQ. It reads "+25% XP, even if not in the party" instead of something like "1/3 XP gain if not in party".

I tested it and confirmed that the Growth items in PQ don't do anything for characters who are currently in the active party. The description is misleading.

Moldy Taxes posted:

I will say that Attack does have one use: those 1 DMG weapons you tend to pick up from the dungeon also come stacked with debuff bonuses, so if you want to hit a certain debuff they're a pretty cool way to apply them without having to use Persona skills.

Be warned that if you use those weapons they'll also inflict their ailments on your own party if the wielder gets panicked and starts attacking allies. I stopped using them for that reason: they were more of a pain than they were worth.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

I only just started this game last night, but holy poo poo are you spoiled for choice in the opening dungeon if you pick the P3 crew. I take it Marie isn't a dungeon-crawling party member?

Apparently in Japan she's available as a navigator through DLC, along with a few other characters -- I don't know if an English-language release of that DLC is planned or not.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Clarste posted:

As far as I can tell, your weapon doesn't even affect the power of physical skills at all (ie: you can equip a 1 damage weapon and use physical skills for decent damage). If you're not doing basic attacks all the time for damage, which you shouldn't, then the only reason to use weapons is for passive stat boosts or inflicting ailments/binds. While the ultimate weapons are actually stronger than a Heavy Damage skill, by the time you get them everything's outclassed by links and/or Myriad Arrows.

I believe Death Chaser, Death Counter and all-out attacks also use your weapon attack strength, although those are all pretty situational.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Sorry to likely ask this yet again, but are there any go-to Sub skills? I'm already slow playing this game too much, I don't need extra time wasted in farming bad or less effective skill cards.

Some of the best skills don't show up as skillcards until high levels (Myriad Arrows is the mainstay offensive skill for physical attackers once it becomes available, but there's a gap of about 20 levels between the first persona that gets it and the first one that will produce a skill card of it), but healing skills and buffs/debuffs are usually a good bet and start to show up reasonably early. Aside from that, pick skills that fit the character's strategy: your status/instant death inflicter wants Impure Reach and a couple of her favourite ailment skills, while if you have a link user you can give them a couple of link-related skills as well as Bestial Roar/Dragon's Cry.

Skills that can't be passed down during fusion, like Stagnant Air, Golden Link and Heroic Gemini, are always a good choice for skill cards. Again, though, most of those skills don't show up as skillcards until the mid/late-game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Do weapons affect anything aside from standard attacks, or can I just ignore upgrading them?

Also I'm surprised by how much SP Power Charge eats up this time around. Is it pretty much saved just for when you get Boosts?

Yeah, between the cost and the fact that it uses up a buff slot (you can only have three buffs active at once per character), Power Charge is really situational in this game. You can make a case for it in the late game when multi-hit attacks make it really easy to crit, but even then it's still competing against other buffs.

Weapon attack power affects a few niche things like Death Counter and Death Chaser in addition to normal attacks, but it doesn't affect the vast majority of physical skills.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Rangpur posted:

EDIT: beaten like a panic circled stratum boss--is there any way to refight those guys, btw?

Well, there's New Game+, but otherwise no.

Lynkericious posted:

Just got Persona Q the other day and I finally got past the first dungeon. Now I'm a little overwhelmed at all my options for a team. I'm working with P4MC/Yosuke/Kanji/Aegis/Naoto. But I'm thinking I'm probably gonna get rid for someone else though and I'm not sure who. Giving me 18 characters to form a five person party with is too much, damnit.

At some point you want to level up both the P3MC and the P4MC to level 55 to unlock a quest that enables major upgrades for all your characters, so if you feel like mixing your party up it's worth throwing the P3MC in there for a while. Even if you'd rather not use him, at least stick your best Growth accessory on him once those become available.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The Grimace posted:

If I could figure out how to get a QR code from my 3DS to imgur, I have a kick rear end Attis for navigators. :( Mylaptop can't take SD cards though (it's about six years old) and I don't know of another way to connect...

You can get a USB SD card reader from an electronics store for like five bucks, although if you don't have uses for it besides sending out QR codes to strangers on the internet I can understand not wanting to go to the trouble.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Len posted:

What stat helps make tentarafoo hit? Because impure reach Naoto at level 51 just spammed 8 before it finally stuck to something.

It appears to be a combination of Magic and Luck, and it may well be influenced directly by your level as well.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Merciful Clergyman was definitely the easiest boss for me. He just never did anything threatening, and the worst thing that he could really do was make you Defend for a turn.

The punishment for breaking vows isn't even that bad. He picks one character on the following turn and inflicts moderate-to-heavy damage and all three binds on them. It'll sometimes get the battle over with faster to just do what you were gonna do anyway and deal with the penalty.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Rangpur posted:

I am 90% certain his counter can trigger repeatedly & goes off the same turn you break a vow. Unless that's tied to difficulty level?

Oh, huh. I was playing on Risky but I guess I just never actually had more than one character break a vow in a single turn.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

MohShuvuu posted:

So I have Seiten with shura tensei, God's stab, raging fists, and myriad arrows on Kanji with power charge and dragon's cry. Is it worth it to extract and put warrior title onto Kanji even with Chie's mind's eye on the party? Also, does God's stab even boost myriad arrows or is that just for characters with stab weapons?

God's Stab boosts all piercing damage you inflict. It stacks with Demon's Stab, too.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The beetles are tough. Throw ice attacks at them mercilessly. The game starts getting a lot easier from the second labyrinth onward, and once you get access to multi-target instant death skills (surprisingly early, especially if Naoto's in your party) you can walk over just about everything.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Danse Macabre hits less times, it's 5-7 rather than 6-8. Hassou Tobi is always 8 though so it's better. I don't think the individual hits do especially more damage but I'm honestly not sure.

They also don't have Myriad Arrows' accuracy penalty, which can be nice if agility bind/panic fails to stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

vilkacis posted:

That's either not the case, or it varies between enemies - I definitely had to re-take my attempt at max damage vs ZeusLizabeth a couple of times because she kept shrugging off Panic even when I was spamming Stagnant Air every turn after landing Tentarafoo.

Yeah, Stagnant Air's description specifically says that it doesn't stack more than once per application of a particular effect.

• Locked thread