Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I've never really gotten into the EO games but have played drat near all the Megatens. Keeping that in mind what should I know to make things go smoother? I seem to be having money issues and gearing up is proving to be problematic. I just hit floor 3 of the first dungeon and have access to fusion. My party is all level 7 so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Do I just go raid the power points and leave the dungeon or is there a better way to get money and materials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just got to the first dungeon boss and man the introduction of the P3 cast was rad as hell. "Oh poo poo I'm exhausted and can't go on" and then out of nowhere Mass Destruction kicks in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there a beastiary floating around yet? I want to know what drops what and where and weaknesses. I don't have time for trial and error drat it!

I also don't like entering a new floor. It's scary.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inflammatory posted:

can i just say that i really don't like how the first question is worded?

"does age or sex matter as long as there is love" and the answers are "it doesn't matter" and "sex matters".

i'm not sure how that got through the editing process without raising any eyebrows.

It's asking if you want to date ken.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rascyc posted:

Nah it's a very easy game if you've been playing EO games. Most people are in the "how broken of a party can I make" camp cause there isn't much to do aside from mess with subpersonas as far as tactics goes.

Isn't this goons in literally any RPG ever? One of the most common complaints to pop up about Skyrim in the dragging games down thread is "it's too easy to brake it" and
goons regularly go "man that rpg is so easy because of how broken you can make your party." Goons just can't play a game and NOT try to powergame it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Volt Catfish posted:

I must be really bad at this game because I'm only at the 2nd Stratum and it feels like every random encounter has a truckload of HP that I tediously have to slog through.

Even the first Stratum FOEs had like 3000 hp when I can do maybe 150 a round at Level 14. Bah.

Same here. If I don't just cheese thing with Naota fights take forever. Even the first dungeon FOEs take forever drop.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Do I want snake glare on the battle or labyrinth guide? I assume the battle guide but I don't want to fuse this the wrong way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone happen to have a complete Group Date Stop 4 map? I seem to have missed a door or a secret passage somewhere and I'm not sure where.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That's perfect. Thanks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Manatee Cannon posted:

All of Marie's navigator dialogue will be in verse so you can keep up to date with the screams of her pathos. Her navigator skill will be called Heartful Cry.

I'd use her. I thought her terrible poetry was funny in P4G.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bussamove posted:

Navigators are all well and good, but I would pay obscene amounts of money for DLC that reskinned Zan and Rei to Dojima and Nanako. Or any DLC that somehow included Dojima because he is the best worst dad ever.

No way is he the best worst dad in a world where Gendo Ikari exists. That guy takes the cake for best worst dad.

"Hey your moms dead buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I put her soul in a giant robot. You're welcome."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wish I had the same luck as you guys. This just happened to me. "Golden beetle is panicked" then he hits Naota two times in a row.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh god I meant 100% panic not critical. But still his attack sucks and he's in the back row so why not.

Do weapons effect physical skills? If they don't I'm not sure why I keep buying new ones since I never use the actual Attack command.

I have that attack on a different guy thanks to Kaguya fusion, good to know its a strength one.

Jesus I wish I had that sword work that well. None of those gimmick weapons go off for me. And on the rare chance they do the enemies still punch me in the face anyway whether they're panicked or not.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Strange Quark posted:

The big thing I can think of is that there's a bonus boss fight with the Velvet Room trio. There's also the standard perspective differences with a few scenes specific to the P3/P4 stories, like the SEES realizing what crap friends they are and trying to fix it in P3, and Kanji's whole deal with Ken in P4.

Someday I hope to be good enough at these games to do the bonus bosses. I'm in the third dungeon and killing card soldiers still takes most of my parties SP and forever. And yes, I try to use tentarafoo with an impure reached naota. I've still been punch by the boss. I don't know how you guys get lucky enough to have it 1) stick reliably and 2) not have them immediately punch you in the face.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Thanks everyone for the poison suggestions. FOEs are way easier now. Easy enough I ended up taking on two at once in the third dungeon second floor.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to fuse a new persona for MC Hammer but I really want to keep Lunar Blessing. Why can't I give that to something else? :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

projecthalaxy posted:

While I like that they have the 5 difficulty options, it should really just be a binary switch of whether or not Naoto is recruitable :v:

I'm still not sure I get the complaints that she makes the game too easy. Just not put her in your party. It's really that simple.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ZeButler posted:

The only reason people say that Naoto in particular makes the game easy is because with one skill card you are able to end 99% of all random encounters on turn one, before the enemy gets to attack. Also, by your logic, should we not put Yosuke or Mitsuru in our party either, because Tentarafoo breaks the game almost as much as Impure Reach + Hama/Mudo.

Yes? If you don't like X because X makes the game too easy don't use X. It isn't like the game forces you to use it. You are making the active decision to use those strategies it makes no sense to bitch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

Okay.

If I don't like Naoto, it is still fairly trivial to get Hama and Mudo on multiple characters. I had no fewer than three characters who could cast various levels of the spell, including Alice and Daisoujou's high-tier one.

If Hama and Mudo are out of bounds there is still Tentarafoo and Panic Circle. If those are also out of bounds there's still Lullaby Song (which is still extremely powerful if not Panic Circle power.). If that is also out of bounds then there's still the various Binds...

Like, come on, beyond a certain point "this trivializes everything in the game, don't use it" becomes a legitimate game flaw.

Those are valid points so maybe they intended it to be easier and more accessible than an EO game? Maybe the debs went "hey the EO games are harder than anyone who played P3 or 4 would expect. Let's make a game like them only easier and more fun."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm on the first floor of the 4th dungeon and I'm starting to get kind of bored with the game. What's the best way to cruise through everything and wrap it up?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alteisen posted:

Are FoE based puzzles gonna be a thing? I'm not even past the first laby and I'm already tired of them.

Yes. I'm on the fourth and I'm over them. I just want to be done with the game but I'm close enough to the end I don't want to put it down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

That is kind of the point of FOEs. They're enemies you need to figure out how to get past.

Unless you're playing Persona Q at which point they become guys you brutally murder while characters act like you puzzled to get past them. The first labyrinth is the only one where it's kinda iffy to kill them the first time you meet them, and only then because you kinda need Toxic Slash to wear down their HP instead of panic-stunlocking them.

Impure reach Naoto can't hit poo poo with a tentarafoo. Neither can Yukiko. P3MC with his panic sword can't land a panic either.

I'm apparently the worst at this game because I can't just fight through FOEs and am stuck on Inaba Price floor 3 in e7 trying to figure out how the gently caress to get past the jumping assholes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What stat helps make tentarafoo hit? Because impure reach Naoto at level 51 just spammed 8 before it finally stuck to something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

According to the SMT wiki things do have resists/immunities to status effects so :iiam:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm still convinced I have a broken copy of the game because I can't hit poo poo with panic. No matter how many characters spam panic moves I can't get things to stick.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

NinjaDebugger posted:

Are you using unlucky characters?

Yukiko and Naoto with impure reach. Not sure if there's a better option or not.

P3MC has his 1 power panic sword but I think it's only gone off maybe 10 times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What's the best way to grind up some levels. I just got to the final boss and I'm only at 65 and that seems low.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't. I was at a lower level than that when I beat the final boss.

Yes but you apparently have godly luck and can actually use panic on bosses. I've still not gotten to panic any boss.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Apparently the spider is immune to panic? At least that's what the megaten wiki tells me.

Now I just have to figure out why the second all the legs died all four came right back. This game started being unfun at the beginning of dungeon 4 and I just want it over with.

Impatom don't suppose you have qr codes for the personas you used to beat this guy with at lower levels than I am?

Edit: finally dropped the spider. Now time to get destroyed by the clockwork god.

Double edit: clockwork god was easier than the spider and lasted four turns compared to 30.

Len fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 5, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ZeButler posted:

Neither spider's immune to panic, from what I remember.

From what the wiki said the captor spider is immune to lots of poo poo.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Captor_Spider

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's no postgame dungeon, just the 5th one.

The last one is longer but the only big floors are the last two.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Whelp, none of my persona have Tentarafoo, agility binds or Myriad Arrows, so I guess that plan is out. Really though, what annoys me more than anything is the constant knockdown. Granted, the FOEs cast Mamudoon which has a tendency to kill everyone who isn't immune to it (i.e. everyone except Souji*), but at least I can dodge them.

I should really get better persona though. But it's hard to care when Naoto instantly explodes pretty much everything else I come across without breaking a sweat.

* Seriously, how hard can it be to make sure the mostly-canonical name fits in the name entry? I pondered "Narukm Yuu" for a while but it looked even dumber, so I caved and he's Seta Souji now.

You won't get any good combat tips in this thread. Every answer is going to be "kill them with panic:smug:" your best bet for actual answers would be gamefaqs where there's still some smugness but they also help.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I don't have a problem with any of the FOEs, though? All the ones I've come across have been manageable. The Luxury Hands though... they fill me with unreasonable dread.

Yeah I wrote FOE at first on accident. But literally any and all tips you'll get is "hit it with panic" even when you're on a boss immune to panic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

You really should get Binds on at least one Persona user. It's extremely powerful. However even if you're not binding, any status effect has a really big impact on them. However you can also substitute the Agility/Hit buff/debuffs as well. They are not as good but you can cast them from Leader Spells in addition to character spells and they have a tremendous impact on your ability to hit dodgy enemies.

I don't get your weird thing but Panic has a tested hit rate so, yeah, it's pretty much a good solution to anything and your bad luck doesn't change that. The solution to most problems in the game is "debuff it."

My weird thing was struggling to get Panic to stick with any character. I did finally end up getting it to stick on a boss and/or FOE at the very last boss. Everything before that was debuffs and struggle though and any and all attempts at getting help in this thread was "just use more panic. so what if you've run two characters out of SP trying to get something to panic. use more. :smug:"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

Because that is the solution. Like no offense but buffs and debuffs are the key to the game. Binds and Status Effects are incredibly powerful. If you're not able to stick either A bind/Salome's Kiss or Panic on a boss, there's nothing anyone can tell you that will make it easier.

Or instead of taking your advice and wasting two characters worth of SP on attempting to panic bosses I could use debuffs and weather attacks which worked out infinitely better for me. Clearly I'm not as good at these games as the rest of you but the "get gud" attitude wasn't helping anything.

And yeah no panic wasn't the solution to the giant gently caress off spider I spent entirely too many turns on. It's immune to panic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You mean the boss? I think you can still bind that, though you shouldn't need that many turns to kill it with Myriad Arrows spam. The spider FOEs can be hit by status effects for sure.

Yeah the giant almost final boss immune to panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inflammatory posted:

panic. the answer is always panic. it shouldn't be too hard to find a persona with tentarafoo or panic circle, so get one and give it to naoto since she's pretty much the best ailment caster. panicked enemies can't use skills and have a chance of hitting themselves. and for some reason if an enemy who would normally get two actions per turn (like the burning beetles) hits itself on the first action, it won't perform a second.

and the scales are probably weak to either light or dark, so that's another option. there's also strength and magic binds, but i forget whether those are easily available in the early game.

I think my impure reached Naoto hit with tentarafoo like five times total through the entire game so your mileage may vary.

• Locked thread