Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How do I stop the Old Doll from using Diarahan? It seems to be immune to Binds (or at least so resistant they will never land) and it doesn't seem like I'm tripping some sort of spiteful counter. Do I just have to come back later when my offense has improved so I can win the race?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I was going to say that's really silly, but then I tried it and it looks like it has a 1% success rate, tops. At least it doesn't require any setup since you're equally as likely to win at any point in the fight. Does Masukukaja increase Light/Dark hit rate, or just the Boost skills (which don't seem to be present in this game)?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

What you want is Impure Reach. It increases the rate at which status effects succeed, and yes instant death is counted as a status effect.

Neat, never thought to test it.

Sweet, I have that, except I don't think I can manage to get it on something that also has Light skills right now :(

Also I guess the Light vulnerability makes sense from a thematic standpoint cause it's the two enemies that hate light. Do the stationary doll takoyaki FOEs also die to Light?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 14, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

The takoyakis aren't vulnerable to Light, you'd have to brute force your way through them. Probably not worth it in the long run considering how many of them there are.

You could just stick Impure Reach on a Persona and give it to Ken or Naoto, they learn Hamaon/Mahama(on) naturally.

Masukakaja seems to work only for damaging attacks, at least that's what I found. Similarly Agility Bind doesn't affect success rate for ailments and binds.

drat, I slapped a Succubus on Naoto and killed it on my second Mahamaon :stare:
Time to go REALLY gently caress up some random encounters.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How the hell do I clear the Genbu quadrant of 4-4? There doesn't appear to be any way to approach the arch from behind to cross through it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

You can enter it with a torch through the shortcut and they'll stay a square away from you. I managed to light the archway and get out without needing to fight.

Huh, I guess I haven't unlocked whatever shortcut lets you bring a torch in. There must be one cause the game never forces you to fight a random FOE to proceed or even 100% the map. However, are any of the Guy FOEs vulnerable to sleep? I accidentally stumbled upon a hilarious combo: turns out that if you use a multi-hit attack like Myriad Arrows against a sleeping enemy, every hit is guaranteed to land :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

use panic instead and they won't recover when you hit them

Panic guarantees hits? Jesus. Although I don't have anything that causes Panic on-hand, so Sleep will have to do.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alright, combat tricks aside, I am COMPLETELY stumped as to what to do with the Byakko wing on the west. There's a hall with a torch, a pear FOE, and a Sweaty Guy. I can't beat either one in straight combat yet, and using the torch to push the stupid pear just blocks the path. I can't see any other way around, but they never make you fight FOEs apart from the miniboss in the second labyrinth, so I feel like I'm missing some kind of puzzle.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

You have to push the pear to the centre of the four-way intersection, then go back and re-light your torch (I believe there's a shortcut if you need it). Time your steps so that when you move close to the pear again, the pear moves north or south (the sweaty guy has to be to the right). That should free the path.

Ah, I see. The problem is that the shortcut is one-way so the torch is nearly burnt out at the intersection, and I got antsy. I guess I have to set things up so that the Sweaty Guy will be in position before I push the pear in his way.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I haven't played P3 yet, but intend to. If I play this first am I going to spoil anything for myself?

You won't spoil much at all, but you might not appreciate it nearly as much because PQ assumes you are familiar with both games and their characters beforehand, so a lot of jokes and references might be lost on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can use Stagnant Air to prolong status effects.

The best part is that you can just keep casting it every turn and it seems to make status effects go on indefinitely, giving you all the time in the world to buff up. I actually killed the final boss before the first timers ran down, and he couldn't even heal up and start his second phase.

• Locked thread