Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Does the game allows you to try every one out, or must you commit to a select team of 5? I only played the first EO, and messing up my party's setup and having to retrain them slowly was miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Didn't played for long, but so far, I like what I see a lot. Lot of banter, the gameplay is way better than EO1, the only one in the serie I played. Sub-personae in particular is a cool idea. When can I swith difficulty mode, though? Normal mode's too much of a breeze for now.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Yu taking over as battle leader of the Shadow Operatives and bringing his squad of corn-fed asskickers with him is really enticing. It would be interesting seeing the Investigation Team face the same pressures that SEES did. People dying, world ending, betrayal, stuff like that.

Not to be That Guy Who Argue Too Much About Persona, but they kind of went through pretty rough stuff as well. But yeah, I'll agree P3 had a pretty overbearing feeling that wasn't in P4, at least until December.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 30, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

You have to do from the game. On the title screen, notice how the last option is Add On Content?

I think that's afaik the DlC aren't released in Europe. Atluuuuuuus!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Just got my first game over to a ridiculous string of bad luck: Two Balances and a Hablerie on Third Floor of the first labyrinth, Mind Charge on first turn, then two ma-spells up the nose. And of course, Naoto had to miss with Hama. Twice. :suicide:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Haha it's like the EO4 version of snipers doing Leg Bind > Squall Volley. I like how they translated a lot of SMT stuff into EO land, changing some status effects into Binds from EO and such. Also people have mentioned it but Rei+Zan are literally EO characters in a party full of Persona characters and it's really cool.

And Tentarafoo isn't actually worthless this time, I've been using Panic on tough battles like the Burning Beetle and it helps out. Also makes gold hands easier to kill if it lands.

Tentarafoo was actually pretty good in P4: Lot of things like the Magus or Hulk Hogan types were resistant to everything, but crippingly weak to ailments.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Dumb question, but how do I get DLC? The "add-on content" button in main menu tells me I have the latest data already?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Inflammatory posted:

just keep pressing a? you should get to the dlc menu after it's done checking everything.

that's the thing, it doesn't: I get a first loading, a pop up saying I have the latest data, another loading, another pop up I can't read, and back to title.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

She's one from the get-go.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Every single piece of enemy related banter is great in this game.
"No more beasts! We already have a dog, a bear, and a Chie!"

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I got 100% completion on Group Date Cafe floor 2 the first try, and I sure as hell didn't fought either of the standing FOEs.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I kind of hope that en eventual Q2 expends on what happens after Arena and Ultimax, so that P5 can starts on a fresh base and maybe with changed rules. Some kind of suitably epic conclusion to P3&4's continuity, if you will, possibly ending with Narly's defeat once and for all, and vast, sweeping changes a la Unknown Armies. Hell, it's kind of funny if you know the tabletop game (and if you don't, you should give it a whirl) how it can maps rather well to P3 and P4: Both started out as street level campaigns, before moving to Global level, at list for the Shadow Operatives.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Nope. Koromaru was about as important to the plot as Ken was: He has like his recruitement and a single scene and then he was a bystander for the rest of the game.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Dexie posted:

There has to be at least one more crossover with the P3/P4 teams. They wouldn't go to all the trouble of setting all of this up if they didn't plan on saving P3MC at some point.

Ken was important to the plot though? Shinji wouldn't have died without him, and that was a huge turning point for Akihiko's character.

Hence my comment of being important for a single cutscene in the game, Shinjiro's death, and then fading into the background.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The 'people's wishes form a literal monster' thing is pointless and detracts from the overall story. It isn't necessary and doesn't really change anything, it just gives a covenient boss monster for you to punch.

The protagonist also going from 'accepts death and dies without fear' to 'accepts death and becomes a statue that can be rescued" thing is also lame as poo poo, but at least Atlus so far has stuck to just offering an out without actually pulling the trigger.

You litteraly fight monsters born of the people's wishes and mind for the rest of the game. And it's never said that the MC can be rescued. Just that one day his sacrifice might not be necessary, ie that he'll be allowed to rest in peace instead of being the Seal.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 12, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Ooorrr maybe going with a fully megaten ending where mankind is forever changed, maybe because Nyarlathotep has been defeated or weakened enough? Could be an interesting send off for that plotline.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well the duology ends up with one timeline being utterly wrecked, with one city being the only remnant of humanity. The other just... err carry on without anyone realizing anything (despite a city taking flight and dragons raging around the globe for a good while. P2 is sloppily written like that at times).

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nothing post Persona 2 has anything to do with Persona 1 or 2 and it never will. At most you'll get some fan service callbacks but you will never get any direct ties to those games.

Well, that's kind of my opinion as well, if only because they seems to have pretty large differences here and there. Demons mainly.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Torokasi posted:

The other one's Sumaru City got what basically amounted to a reset/restore to before the city launched, from what I understand. The reason it cost the group something in IS to do anything remotely similar was because Nyarly won that round, but Philemon won EP so it worked out differently in round 2. It's never fully stated what people do or don't remember, but Tatsuya doesn't seem to recall anything out of the ordinary so it can be pretty safely presumed things are "normal" now.
Doesn't the final still shot of the game shows Sumaru City surrounded by water where there was the destroyed districts?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

P3 does foreshadows that the Dark Hour fucks with non persona users's memories, though. It's a bit of a copout that SEES forget about it after the Fall, but it's not coming from nowhere. Nothing in P2 allude to memory loss.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That is why it is uninteresting. Nyx is already that. A creature born from mankind's innate desire to die, called and drawn to it. It doesn't need a second monster that also fills that role.

And the second thing is, likewise, unnecessary. The original ending made perfect thematic sense. Death is defeated by accepting it and facing it without fear, and the act of doing so is what defeats death symbolically even if it is an actual giant anime attack that does it. The protagonist not dying but being sealed as a statue which may or may not be rescued devalues that because it was accepting death that made it work.

Eh, not exactly. Nyx is iirc called death, the idea itself, not Mankind's desire for it. So there's room for sometinh that embodies specifically all the things that drives humanity to long for death. And remember, even in vanilla P3, what defeat Nyx is called "The Great Seal", so the MC becoming a seal of sort was planned for the start.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nyx is called by mankind's desire for death, but the Apathy Syndrome was a much better stand-in for why humans sought death and what it meant to give up living.

The MC sacrificing himself to stop Nyx and the MC becoming a statue/seal are different things though. The former is what is implied by the original P3, right down to it taking 999 HP to use the Seal and the MC still being walking around (briefly) before he finally succumbs. Plus the entire game is about death.

Eh, he died, though, I think that they were pretty insistent on this. So, yeah, some part of him remains as the Seal, but most of it is gone. Especially his body. He won't be resurrected. Now you may hard that humanity forgoing the need for a Seal could cheapen his sacrifice and the theme of the game, but that's another problem: The MC defenitely sacrificed himself knowingly for a greater purpose.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

He will absolutely be resurrected. There's no other reason to do the seal thing and constantly drop hints about it. It's just a matter of When after the Answer.

Says you. The Answer clarify what happens to him because apparently, to some players, it wasn't clear the MC was dead. So they did: He's dead, his body is rotting in a grave somewhere. I'm having a hard time believing they will go for a miraculous resurrection out of the blue. All they did was suggest that one day, his sacrifice might not be necessary.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I recall Margaret telling something about sacrified persona giving items, but either I'm missing something or I didn't really notice. What kind of things they give and how do I trigger it? I'm on the third floor of the second labyrinth in term of plot.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Alright, cheers guys.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Wht makes circles great, though? They seem to hit a lot less often than the partywide spells?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Could I get a hint regarding Evil Spirit floor 1? I found the hint regarding Shop class, Art class, Geometry and Science, but I'm not seeing how it really helps me for the Friday period. Am I missing something?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Zurai posted:

The whole thing is a repeating pattern.
:doh:
Motherfucker. I was looking at things like first letters and thematics and crap. Goddammit.
Thanks.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

Are you using unlucky characters?

Well, I'm not, and neither I am getting Panic ton consistently stick , even with Impure Reach

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

EO games are just dungeon though. Very little plot.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

It also has the female protagonist, which has a lot of the best s-links in the game. There are links for the male party members! Ken's sucks, but Junpei and Shinji make up for it. Koromaru s-link is cute as well.

Ken's actually fairly decent and gives him some needed characterisation, if you can resist pushing on the Pedo Button. Please don't push on the Pedo Button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah this is like saying I never played Doom 2 so I asked someone to explain it to me through a series of tweets

Persona 4 is a really good JRPG

The anime is actually better if you played the game as well. It's never a masterpiece, but it has its moments.

• Locked thread