Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Strange Quark posted:

• You can get a reward from a chest on every floor if you walk on every tile possible on the floor. This includes damage tiles. You can also open the chest by forking over play coins, and the number of play coins you have to pay up is determined by the number of tiles you're missing.

For the record, there are some levels where you don't have to walk on literally every tile. For example, on level 4 of the 2nd labyrinth I got a 100% even though there were a few FOEs I hadn't beaten to access their tiles. My guess is that the game rounds to the nearest percentage point, so if there are enough tiles that you can get to 99.5% completion, it'll round up to 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Are the characters designed to the same basic styles as they are in their main games? I.E. Mitsuru gets ice magic, Yosuke gets wind and so on? Is anyone different? How does the new character play?

Yeah, they follow the same general pattern as in their own games. Nobody's significantly different except that every character has a vastly slimmed-down skillset; I'm half of the way through the third labyrinth and none of my characters have more than 3 skills on their main Persona (though most of those skills have auto-upgraded at least once). Sub-Personas are where the real skill variety comes in, the main Personas are really just to make sure you have access to all the basic essentials.

There are a lot of cool builds available through sub-Personas, including EO-esque things like links (attacks which do damage when they're used and then trigger additional attacks under certain situations, usually another ally hitting the same target), circles (3-turn battlefield spells that attempt to hit the entire enemy party with an ailment or bind effect every turn, and various abilities which only function while you have a circle active like passive healing, etc), and dealing extra damage to enemies with ailments.

Rei and Zen don't have Personas and so can't equip sub-Personas, but they have much higher stats and access to variety of useful abilities to make up for it. They get all four basic elements, a curse-causing physical attack, several different row-targeting heal spells (hp, status cure, bind cure, dekunda), and passively regenerate SP as you walk around. Their spells are a bit expensive at the beginning but where everyone else's spells auto-upgrade to higher forms that cost 5-10 times as much, Zen instead gets a passive ability that increases the damage his elemental spells do. They have the cheapest elemental attacks in my part at the moment.

A couple things I've noticed:
  • It's either very tricky or impossible to transfer Resist/Null/Absorb Element through fusion.
  • Fusion in general seems to follow the model where each Persona is assigned certain categories of abilities which can be fused onto it. It's impossible to get fancy physical attacks on Pyro Jack, for example.
  • Spells and abilities on primary Personas (Orpheus, etc) automatically upgrade even if you have open skill slots. This is really aggravating because the costs jump extreme amounts. Kanji's starting electric/bash physical attack costs 12 HP, but the upgraded medium-damage version costs 102 HP. I'd rather just have the light damage version, honestly.
  • There are skill cards to add skills to your primary Personas, but aside from a few quest rewards you don't get access to them until halfway through the 3rd Labyrinth. You can use skill cards to add lower-tier versions of skills you already have, though, so at least that's good.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Speaking of, is it like the EO games where it gets harder to inflict the same status effect on enemies over and over?

If it is, the scaling isn't as harsh. I've been able to inflict Curse 3 and 4 times on the same FOE/boss fairly easily.

Dr. Fetus posted:

What triggers the all-out attacks? Is it based on boost? Seems like it asks you if you want to do one if enough of your party members get boosted.

They won't trigger at all unless you end a round with 3 characters in Boost status, trigger more reliably with 4 characters Boosted, and are (almost?) guaranteed if everyone is Boosted. I think enemies being knocked down increases the chance of it happening at 3 and 4 Boosted characters, but I can't be certain.

EDIT: Oh, I have a question of my own. If anyone else is at the 3rd floor of the 3rd Labyrinth (yeah, I know, I've not done much but play this since I got it, thanks to Thanksgiving), how do you solve the clock puzzle? I've gotten the clues and I think I have the general concept, but the one explicit clue I've gotten (6 9 3 12 9, presumably indicating the order in which to go through the doors) doesn't seem like it's actually possible to do.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 28, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

elizabeth's wedding scene may in fact be mankind's greatest achievement.

I'm sorry, you're wrong. Koromaru's wedding scene cannot be beaten.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Make sure you hit up the Power Spots religiously early on. Keep looting from them until you can't any more (even at the risk of getting shadows instead of rarer loot) until you can't any more, then go to the next spot. Even in the first labyrinth there are P-Spot items that sell for like 3,000.

Also, try to fuse a sub-Persona for your navigator that has abilities which increase material drop rate, increase rare material gathering rate, decrease ambush rate, and negate enemy first strikes. Especially that last one. You can get all of those withing the first labyrinth if you're diligent.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Oh my God this puzzle is starting to piss me off. Labyrinth 3 Floor 3 still:

There's a 2x2 grid of rooms with doors connecting each. You're supposed to go through the doors according to their location if they were a clock face, so 12 is north, etc. The hint the game gives is to go through the doors in the order given by a clue elsewhere (6 9 3 12 9), but that is physically impossible because you cannot get from the 9 o'clock door to the 3 o'clock door without passing through either 12 or 6. There are no shortcuts between the rooms, just doors. I've tried starting at the 3 o'clock door and wrapping around, but that doesn't work. I've tried ignoring the 3 as erroneous, that doesn't work.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Um, it's not the doors you have to go through in the right order. It's the direction of the doors.
From the room on the left of the room with the locked door, go south, west, east, north, then back to the room with the locked door.

That did it. Thank you so much. The description and hints in the game were extremely misleading.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Nah, if you do the "proper" way, you get a bonus reward in addition to what's listed. A lot of the quests are like that.

Yeah, every quest I've had with a choice on how to complete it has given an addition reward for doing it perfectly. The bonus rewards have been nice but not stellar so far, so if you're feeling lazy don't sweat it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The clues are right there in the puzzle. Look over the information it gives you closely.

The classes are actually just a repeating set wrapping around from the end of one day to the start of the next.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Note that the one and only reason the game recommends front/back is the range of the character's weapon. It recommends Mitsuru for front line, as an example, even though there's absolutely no reason for her to be there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'm all the gently caress about a new Persona game, but I've never played an EO game before. I've been reading about it, and I've got an honest question: is there some appeal to the manual map-making that I'm not understanding? Just seems like added tedium at first blush.

It's really not all that manual. If you turn on automap, all you have to add are icons (doors and shortcuts mostly). But anyway, it appeals to the Explorer type of gamer, and it's also a nod to nostalgia. And, too, there are puzzles later on that make the map pretty important rather than just a convenience, so if you do a better job mapping, you'll have an easier time with the puzzles.

Cake Attack posted:

i don't think that makes too much of a difference though, since most physical attackers should be in the front, and magic in the back

Like I can't just put Chie or Kanji in back

Sure, but Mitsuru, P3MC, Teddie, and possibly Koromaru could be put in the back and still be effective.

----

Anyway, I just got the best thing from a quest reward:

A non-consumable Goho-M! I mean, the game reminds you if you try to go into a labyrinth without one so it's not as bad as in EO, but now there's no chance I'll forget.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

so far i've seen six different foes, and only two of them have had weaknesses.

Most of them have weaknesses (and nasty attacks), but they all have ginormous amounts of HP.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Is there any particular status effect that can help out with the first boss.

Like can I hit it with poison or something to make life easier.

She's not immune to either Poison or Curse and both help a lot. Zen has an ability that applies Curse, Poison you should have a couple options for.

Manatee Cannon posted:

FOEs aren't fun to get around and I don't like the puzzles for dealing with them. It makes exploring more tedious. Though I've only seen the Card Soldiers.

FOEs get way more interesting than the Card Soldiers. Hell, you don't even get introduced to aggressive FOEs until the 3rd labyrinth.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's a chance but it's still pretty goddamn slow. Whenever you choose attack the characters pop up on screen and do a small animation to strike the enemy (or use a skill) and you are still slowly making your way around a labyrinth. The only difference it has the charm of a Persona game in it.

Or you could increase the battle speed in the options. The Persona summoning animation only occurs on the slowest speed.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm using P4MC/Kanji in front, Aigis/Yukari/Zen and Rei in back. If I had to do it over again I'd have kept Naoto instead of using Yukari as a healer, but by this point Naoto's just too far behind to be worth it. In NG+ I'll probably do Team Speed with Koromaru/Yosuke in front and P3MC/Naoto in the back. Undecided on the final party member, possibly Shinji to tank.

Back row Aigis makes an incredible tank, for the record. Get Pain Eater (taunt + defense up) on her and she takes basically no damage. Mokoi from the first labyrinth has Pain Eater and later on you can extract the skill card from him to give it to her permanently.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

which is much more useful in the third labyrinth since that's when more Light/Dark resistant Shadows pop up.

Also very useful since the third labyrinth is utterly obsessed with enemies that set up for one turn then loving wreck your whole party with AOE spells. Every single floor has at least one of that type of enemy, and every floor past the first actually has two different ones. They're frequently paired up with either tanks or agility debuffers, too. Just ugh. I eventually went and got Silence Circle just for them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Looper posted:

perfect

I wanna go Chie/Kanji/Kuromaru/Minato/Naoto or Yosuke, is that viable?

Should be. Naoto makes the first labyrinth incredibly easy, and she's fast enough to become a good healer later on. She also makes a really good Circle user since her Luck is high. Yosuke isn't going to be as good in the back since he's not as good a mage, but both he and Koromaru should work out OK in the back row if you concentrate on magic or long-range attack skills for them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Are there any catchup mechanics later in the game to help bring party members up to speed? Since it's a Persona game, I want to swap a bit but it feels like I should just stick with my preferred cast for the entire game and just carry the underleveled idiots for the odd quest here and there.

Not that I've seen, and I just finished the 3rd Labyrinth. There are accessories you can equip which give passive XP gain to reserve characters, but that and grinding FOEs is about it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

neongrey posted:

Burning off your SP and working off reserve during exploration is literally what that part of the system is for.

Err, no, actually that's a really bad idea and not at all what it's for.

The sub-Persona SP reserve is so that you can get a Boost chain started and never need to spend actual SP if you manage the fight properly, not so that you can burn all your actual SP at the start of the dungeon and leave yourself vulnerable to a tough fight where your reserve SP can't hold out.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Oh hey, this FOE is weak to Slash, how hard could it be to f-- oh, it has Mamudoon.

I know exactly which FOE you're talking about. They're a total bitch and you have to kill one for a quest. Silence Circle is your friend.

They also know Diarahan.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

There's an FOE that spams Mamudoon and Evil smile and Diarahan. You have to beat it for a quest, ugh.

Silence Circle is your friend. So's the Navi ability which cures all ailments and binds on the party for 2 bars (Healing Rain?). The couple times I've fought them it didn't cast Diarahan until very late in the fight, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out it casts it on preset turns.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The Old Doll is more dangerous IMO (Mamudoon into Evil Smile into Diarahan is just ugly) but the Lovely Dolls are incredibly annoying because of their dodging. I think the agility bind circle would be more useful against them, although magic bind lasts forever on them if you get it to land.

And honestly if PQ is even a moderate success it wouldn't surprise me if we got a sequel / similar game. Atlus was quick to follow up on P4 Arena and on Etrian Odyssey Untold, after all.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I just got into the 3rd maze and I'm not enjoying the setting :shepface:

Got to the point where some baby thing dropped behind the group and ran from it. Is that the jump scare? It didn't seem that bad...

Nope, it's later in that labyrinth.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

getting hit by an element you null/absorb still removes boost. lame.

That's very strange, because Immunity Buffer (High chance to null physical attacks on user) doesn't remove boost when it triggers.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

Note for anyone doing the "Investigate You in Wonderland!" quest: Don't go back to heal after killing the target. It'll respawn and you probably won't be very happy about it.

On that note, 100% of FOEs (at least up to floor 2 of labyrinth 4) respawn as soon as you leave the labyrinth. Bosses not included since they don't actually drop anything but key items in this game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm using Yukari but I can probably count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've used Mediarama. It's really not needed with Fuuka's basic Navi ability and good strategy. Naoto could easily cover the same role with an appropriate sub-Persona and do better at since she's way faster than Yukari or Yukiko. Only reason I'm not using her is I stupidly decided to switch three dungeons ago and she's way far behind now.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

:laffo: the old doll is not immune to light

Well, that certainly makes that fight a lot less of a pain in the rear end.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Pash posted:

So I was watering that plant on the 3rd floor of the first dungeon, but I beat the dungeon while waiting the last time. I went back and... nothing? Did I miss something by finishing the dungeon before this happened?

You did but it's just an accessory you can buy in the shop.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In dungeon 3 floor 2 there's a long hallway with two babies and a piano room. I felt really satisfied solving that puzzle by just murdering the hell out of those rear end in a top hat babies.

The babies are pretty easy but I think that puzzle was actually the best one in that labyrinth. All the others are just switch pressing puzzles or logic problems with vague instructions and red herrings thrown in. I prefer the puzzles where you have to manipulate the FOEs into doing what you want them to do.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Neeksy posted:

How do links work? I don't think it's ever been explained in game.

Links cause you to make an additional attack if another of your party hits the same enemy after you. Double Link and its upgrades increase the number of additional attacks you get for additional people hitting the same target. To use it best, you want your linker to be the fastest attacker in the party (or have Beast's Cry/Dragon's Roar).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Monster Mash posted:

Unlimited use 50hp heal in combat only

Of note, it can only be used once per round.

Monster Mash posted:

Yeah for whatever reason. I believe it's because Death is considered a debilitating effect.

Yeah, Instant Death is an ailment in EO, that might have carried over to PQ.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, I found a great grinding spot for the late-game. The quest boss at the end of the third labyrinth (have to get to floor 3 of labyrinth 4 to unlock) rewards about 13,500 experience per character when you defeat it and it's really easy as long as you have someone with Silence Circle and Binding Hands. It almost never physically attacks and when it does, its attacks are wimpy. Even if you can't magic bind it, it's basically a less dangerous Old Doll; Evil Smile, Mudoon (instead of Mamudoon) and Agidyne/Maragidyne are its main attacks. It does act twice a turn, but it's really not that bad and it does seem very easy to get magic bind to stick on it.

Like all FOEs, it respawns as soon as you leave the labyrinth, and it's literally two steps from the labyrinth's final entry point, so it's super easy to farm.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zurai posted:

The quest boss at the end of the third labyrinth (have to get to floor 3 of labyrinth 4 to unlock) rewards about 13,500 experience per character when you defeat

Just a correction here. It rewards 96,875 experience per character. I forgot the experience displayed was the actual per-character amount. Basically, it's a full level per kill, and a level and a half when you get the Finish Bonus.

Anyone know what causes Finish Bonus? My best guess is to end the fight with 4 or 5 characters in Boost state, but it doesn't seem to be guaranteed because I always end this fight with at least 4 people in Boost and have only gotten it twice.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OK, weapons and physical attacks real quick:

Weapons and physical attack skills have a range parameter. On skills, this is displayed as either ML in pink (short range) or RN in blue (long range) on the same line as the skill's name and affinity when you examine the skill. Weapons are always the same range per weapon type and character. Melee weapons are short range, ranged weapons and Ken's spears are long range.

Short range attacks (ML skills and short range weapons) can only attack up to 2 rows away and deal half damage if attacking a target which is 2 rows away. 2 rows meaning your front row to their back row or your back row to their front row.

Long range attacks can attack any target with no damage penalty.

The range of a weapon only matters for the Attack command, skills use their own range instead.

Physical skills use the attack power of the character's weapon as part of their damage equation, magical skills do not.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also you have to kill some of them to get their spot on the floor filled in. :argh:

Completely stationary FOEs do not count for map completion. You can ignore their squares. You do not have to kill any FOEs whatsoever to get 100% map completion on any level, though you may have to do a lot of dancing around and use some Goho-Ms.

theshim posted:

I've just had Naoto sitting in the back tossing out Toxic Slice. Sure, the move itself does practically no damage, but the poison ticks just fine.

That works fine as long as you're not trying to poison the enemy back row. Melee skills like Toxic Slice can't even target from back row to back row, so you can't (for example) have Naoto use Toxic Slice on the boss of the first labyrinth when its minions are out. Poisma, Venom Breath, the poison Circle, etc, all work fine since all magic skills are long range.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah OK I knew there was a reason I was keeping Zen & Rei on my team. A late game quest gives you an accessory that gives them +70 HP/SP and +7 all stats.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is it infinite stock? That's the important part.

There are no limited stock items. Or if there are I havn't run into them yet.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm just about done with the 3rd maze's 4th floor. I just did that strange guide Rei around thing and I'm now trying to open the door with all these letters and stuff and I have no goddamn idea what to do with this. I've been trying several things and nothin seems to be working. Can I just get told the order because I'm sick of this place.

Also, did anyone drive Rei into a doll on purpose? I haven't saved in awhile and was genuinely tempted to try it but... I didn't want to redo the entire floor again.

For your first spoiler: The letters are a red herring. Just look at the +- signs. The rooms are basically just cartesian planes; the upper right room is ++, the lower left room is --. They're listed in x, y format. Go to them in the order the hints indicate. I'd tell you outright but I didn't save them.

For the second: Pretty sure she refuses to walk into them. She knows they're there, after all.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Rise and Fuuka don't need sub-Personas, true, but neither do the other characters. Stuff like Purifying Rain, Snake Glare, and Heroic Wind are practically required IMO. Snake Glare especially; this is a game where getting ambushed can mean a TPK before you get a chance to act.

EDIT: I definitely agree that the lack of Persona storage gets a bit irritating, but honestly once you unlock Sacrifice Spread you shouldn't be entering the Labyrinth with any unused Personas and I find that generally my loot storage and Persona storage fill up at a roughly similar time. Of course, I'm using Zen and Rei who don't require a sub-Persona, so that helps.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

They do if you don't wanna back out of the dungeons every five minutes to refill your SP.

Yes, that was the point I was attempting to make. Your main characters don't require sub-Personas, but they sure as gently caress make the game a lot easier and less tedious. Same with the navigators. You can do without, but it's very questionable (at least until you get the key abilities on skill cards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Artix posted:

Okay I'm completely done giving a gently caress about Evil Spirits Club's puzzle aspects. I'm done with the actual dungeon but I wanted to clean up requests before I fought the guardian and Elizabeth gave me a code for the puzzle rooms. Assuming it works the same way as the main dungeon's puzzle, it's not actually possible to go through the rooms in that order, so how do I get her secret message?

It uses (mostly) the same rooms as the plot puzzle, but doesn't work the same way. It's referring to the number of exits in each room. The trick is the final "2" is the room north of 4, not west.

• Locked thread