Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Will be getting the game in two weeks. I assume I'll eventually be playing from both sides, but which is the better side to start with, for story reasons or whatever?

The thread sings the praises of Naoto a lot, but if for whatever reason I don't want to use her, can I get away with using Koro and/or Ken in place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Zen and Rei are mediocre but they aren't Teddie.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cdyoung posted:

Actually Rise is a good cook, she just likes really spicy food. If she could dial that back she'd be the second female character in P3/P4 who can cook competently. (The other being Naoto.)

Marie can cook!

Nanako is also decent at cooking when she's not taking tips from the girls.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Why are all the characters I want to use front-liners? I have Koro sitting in the back for now because he's a good and fast enough spellcaster, but then there's Aki/Junpei/Shinji all fighting for my front spots.

I managed to snag a Persona with Hama, so I could have someone sitting in the back to replace Ken, I guess?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Burning Beetles are really dumb.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Do weapons affect anything aside from standard attacks, or can I just ignore upgrading them?

Also I'm surprised by how much SP Power Charge eats up this time around. Is it pretty much saved just for when you get Boosts?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lynkericious posted:

Just got Persona Q the other day and I finally got past the first dungeon. Now I'm a little overwhelmed at all my options for a team. I'm working with P4MC/Yosuke/Kanji/Aegis/Naoto. But I'm thinking I'm probably gonna get rid for someone else though and I'm not sure who. Giving me 18 characters to form a five person party with is too much, damnit.

I think Yosuke is the most easily replaced, everyone else is great.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wondering how tough the game would be a 'worst' party. I'm guessing P4MC/Teddie/Yukiko/Yukari, and, I dunno, Mitsuru or Zen?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Aigis is a beast as is Naoto. Chie has physical attacks and a little ice, so she may be a bit redundant. I'd swap her out for Mitsuru.

Physicals are way better than magic, and Mitsuru only gets single-target magic anyway. Tentarafoo is cool but I feel like Yosuke pulls it off slightly better with his absurd Agility (even if his luck is horrid).

In any case I'd say Akihiko is the most well-rounded P4 member. Great Agility and decent enough in all other stats to do almost anything semi-competently. He won't hit as hard as Kanji/Shinjiro but otherwise he's good, even if his skills outside of (Ma-)tarunda are ehh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Moltrey posted:

How redundant is it to use both Kanji and Akihiko in the same team?. I know folks keep saying you can get through just using who you like fine enough, but I don't want to make it harder for myself if I'd just picked someone else. I'll probably use P4MC/Yosuke/Kanji/Yukiko and I guess whoever would fill in those gaps. I'm open to anyone really, but I just like Akihiko's straight shooting bout punching things and he was real handy during P3

Yeah, I'm using both and they work just fine. Aki would also fit in nicely with your team since his Agility and Luck are passable enough so that he can cast Mudo/Hama fairly well, unlike Yosuke whose Luck is pretty poor.

Edit: vv I believe offhand it's third floor of third dungeon. The FOEs really start ramping up in the fourth dungeon, though.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 29, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rangpur posted:

Speaking of Aigis, which Persona gives up the Runic Shield skill card? Or even just a list of Persona with the skill itself would work. I had Titania on her when the rest of the party was using stuff 15 levels higher because I hated to give that skill up. It saved my rear end so many times.

It comes from Odin, so not til level 72, unfortunately.

As for Personas with the skill, after Titania you have Queen Mab (24), then it's a huge jump to Norn at 66, before Odin.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 30, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just hit the final dungeon.

I didn't care much for Rei and Zen all game but then Atlus comes in with their masterstroke and almost made me get dust in my eyes. Plus it's a really good tie-in with both games' messages, so kudos.

The rad music doesn't hurt it either.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I finally picked this up off the eShop. Can't wait to start exploring and put a fun party together... and basically obliterate everything with Naoto. :v:

Any general tips?

Offensive magic is visibly worse than physicals once you get access to sub-Personas and Fuuka.

It's never stated, but your damage goes down if your level is at least 5 levels above your sub-Persona, then again at 10 levels above. Keep them updated.

Teddie is widely agreed to be the worst character in the game. You can still use him, but don't expect brilliant results.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Volt Catfish posted:

Why is Teddie bad? I am curious, give me those minmaxes

Teddie excels in Luck, with good Magic, but poor everything else, especially Agility. He's also an offensive magic user, which doesn't really work with Luck since magic can't score critical hits (which would at least make sense with his high Luck). So he can't pull off the stuff that he would use high Luck for (too slow for status magic, too low Str for physicals). Plus his endurance, while not as bad as say Ken, is still poor, which makes the fact that he's typically going last even worse. And while it doesn't really mean much, his claws are close-range, unlike Yukiko/Yukari/Ken/Naoto.

You can swap his stats around, but then he's still a neutered version of most other characters. You can turn swap Mag and Luck to make him decently fast, but then you already have Naoto, P3MC, and Ken. You could swap Luck and Agility, but then you just have a weaker Yosuke (who at least has a better skillset). Luck and Strength would make him a decent brawler, but then you have a myriad of other physical options (Kanji, Shinjiro, Junpei) who have better tooled movesets and endurance.

Also, his final ability (Amrita) is just pretty bad all things considered, since it's just a full heal + status curer on just one party member. If it at least extended to a row, it would be worth considering.

Slow offensive caster and healer doesn't really work in this game. At least the other casters can eventually do something gimmicky; Teddie just doesn't do anything that impressive.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd say it's also that HP is so much more easily recoverable with Fuuka and Navi sub-Persona skills, compared to SP.

If they made it so that Boosted state didn't made HP costs 0, then it might be more balanced, but as it is magic is just a far cry from physicals in terms of efficiency.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nessa posted:

Seriously. Kanji is MVP against bosses.

I've got him with Surt right now and I just love Heroic Gemini.

Zanshinken
Heroic Gemini activates another Zanshinken
Link Damage
Zanshinken again from not getting hit that turn.

Combine that with Attack boosts and it's ridiculous. The only other party member that even comes close to Kanji's damage is Yukiko with her Agidynes.

You can make Yukiko even more deadly with a Str-Mag accessory, then have her sport a Flame Link build; same with Yukari and Gale Link.

Power Charge isn't transferrable, is it? I guess that's part of what makes Chie so good since she always has access to it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ahh ok, guess I went in too soon.

The light switch is always in the same room they're in. If the switch doesn't seem like it's there, then you might have to find another entrance that gets into a part of the room that they would otherwise be blocking.

Those dolls are really the only annoying FOE in that dungeon; every other FOE there can be killed with Hamaon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

How exactly do time limits on requests work? I've not had any run out, but I'll occasionally get warnings I'm about to hit one. I kind of think it might be finishing the current labyrinth, but I'm not sure.

They expire two floors after the floor where the request first appears. I think it might be slightly more relaxed for the final dungeon, but not too sure since I don't think any of the requests there are timed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZeButler posted:

Neither spider's immune to panic, from what I remember.

They're talking about the penultimate boss, which is immune to statuses from what I remember.

It's also a fight with multiple targets, which takes the usual boss strategy of 'Panic then Myraid Arrows and Links' and throws a slight wrench in. I was suddenly glad I brought Shinjiro because Whirlwind Swing. Agility Bind makes the fight go a lot more smoothly, as well as Masukukaja (hooray for Koro).

The final boss was much easier.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Urgh Junpei why do you have to be inferior to Chie til level 55, you have good battle lines but your only banter is basically with Yukari.

It's also notable how much Yosuke is just Koromaru-lite.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Is there a list of the characters who banter together? My team doesn't do much in the way of bantering in battle (MC3, Junpei, Akihiko, Zen, Naoto).

Usual suspects aside, Kanji and Shinjiro get a few lines if Koro is hurt/KO'd. Yosuke gets lines with both Teddie and Chie.

Are there any pairings of P4 and P3 characters? I know that Teddie and Koromaru kind of form a rapport.

Ken and Kanji, Kanji and Koromaru, Teddie and Koromaru. I've also heard Teddie and Aigis get some lines, but I haven't confirmed that myself. Naoto and Mitsuru might have some, but again I haven't confirmed that personally.

Volt Catfish posted:

Wow the Inaba Pride Exhibit sucks

I know people don't like it but I actually found the puzzles decent. The annoying aspects for me were the encounter rate and the possibility of blocking yourself off with an FOE, which more or less forces you to Goho-M or Goba-K.

Evil Spirit Club was my low point. Uninspired puzzles, and not even a way to bulldoze through it on repeat runs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It makes sense a lot of characters get lines for him, since his own battle lines just have barks, growls and whimpers.

Does Ken even have banter?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nessa posted:

I didn't find Yukiko to be any different than she was in P4. She still laughs at stupid jokes and loves ghost stories. I love Yukiko's interaction with Yukari about the Evil Spirit Club.

She's a lot more 'Snow Black' this time around, at least. A lot of things would pass over her head in P4 with a few exceptions (mostly regarding Teddie), this time around she's much faster with the ice-cold treatment.

My solution to the character limit for P4MC was 'Yu Dojima'. The next best thing. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah it's the only FOE in the game you can use instant death on. It only resists light rather than null it like all other FOEs.

It also works on the babies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The takoyakis aren't vulnerable to Light, you'd have to brute force your way through them. Probably not worth it in the long run considering how many of them there are.

You could just stick Impure Reach on a Persona and give it to Ken or Naoto, they learn Hamaon/Mahama(on) naturally.

Masukakaja seems to work only for damaging attacks, at least that's what I found. Similarly Agility Bind doesn't affect success rate for ailments and binds.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Alabaster White posted:

Alright, combat tricks aside, I am COMPLETELY stumped as to what to do with the Byakko wing on the west. There's a hall with a torch, a pear FOE, and a Sweaty Guy. I can't beat either one in straight combat yet, and using the torch to push the stupid pear just blocks the path. I can't see any other way around, but they never make you fight FOEs apart from the miniboss in the second labyrinth, so I feel like I'm missing some kind of puzzle.

You have to push the pear to the centre of the four-way intersection, then go back and re-light your torch (I believe there's a shortcut if you need it). Time your steps so that when you move close to the pear again, the pear moves north or south (the sweaty guy has to be to the right). That should free the path.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Inflammatory posted:

panic. the answer is always panic. it shouldn't be too hard to find a persona with tentarafoo or panic circle, so get one and give it to naoto since she's pretty much the best ailment caster. panicked enemies can't use skills and have a chance of hitting themselves. and for some reason if an enemy who would normally get two actions per turn (like the burning beetles) hits itself on the first action, it won't perform a second.

and the scales are probably weak to either light or dark, so that's another option. there's also strength and magic binds, but i forget whether those are easily available in the early game.

Ken is actually the best status caster due to his status of highest Luck in the game, but he's not used as often because:

1. He's Ken, and so nobody likes him
2. Naoto naturally learns Mahamaon/Mamudoon, while Ken is stuck with only Hamaon so has to rely on skill cards or sub-Personas for them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zurai posted:

Put Aigis in the back, though. There are plenty of ranged physical skills, and she's a fantastic tank made even more fantastic by taking half damage in the back row.

Aigis goes in the front because Swordbreaker is so much better for the frontline.

I wish characters had more banter with each other, I want to use Junpei but I think his only banter is with Yukari who is probably the second weakest character overall.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lakbay posted:

Thanks for the advice, I switched out Z&R for Aigis since she seems highly rated everywhere and I had her benched with growth 3 for awhile. Since I'm abusing Naoto, it seems everything that uses SP that isn't a status effect/buff/debuff seems garbage and a waste and physical skills/crits are the way to go, at least in the mid-60s where I am now.

Does new game+ have buffed enemies?

You get an optional fight with superbosses after the final dungeon if you've played both routes, but otherwise nothing new, except the ability to steamroll everything with level 60+ characters if you wanted.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hazdoc posted:

You can land agility bind or panic and abuse Myriad Arrows for a ton of damage. If you want to use links, having Bestial Roar/Dragon Cry helps ensure they go first, or you can just put them on your naturally fastest dude. You'll want Golden Link, and the best link multiplier you can get. Having multiple link skills at once increases the # of links too, but thats a waste of slots. Links do OK damage, and you can use them with Myriad Arrows spam (they'll only activate once per person, though), so go nuts, though I've only noticed them doing good amounts of damage when you're actually hitting weaknesses.

If you're doing Links + Myriad Arrows spam, if you're not hitting a weakness with the link skill, you're probably going to need Dragon Cry, as Myraid Arrow users tend to land crits at least once and go into boost, making them act before your link starter. You could also use Rise's act first ability if you want.

Instant spells are king in the 3rd dungeon, so it's a good thing to have Naoto around, and you can give P3MC something like Succubus, which comes with innate Lullaby Song + Impure Reach, which can at least incapacitate some enemies.

It's around the 3rd dungeon that magic falls off; physical attacks are far better. Have Fuuka set up Healing Breeze for the tougher battles to give them a constantly regenerating resource pool for it. Give Chie, P4MC and Aigis physical-oriented Personas; Swift Strike and Shikuuha are decent skills for your level. There are some tough spellcasters in the 3rd dungeon, so Kidney Smash is another option (though they should be your first priority).

Linking is good, but you do need to build around it.

It gets a lot easier once Naoto hits level 38 and learns Mahamaon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rangpur posted:

Old News Korner: did you know the gourds in the 4th Labyrinth have Diarhan? That is the stupidest goddamn thing. Panic/Magic bind wore off on the wrong turn? Get hosed!

Spoil it for me thread, how many other FOEs & bosses are going to do this?

The Old Doll in the third dungeon (but you can kill them with Hamaon), the gourd, and the Festival Dudes (but you can prevent them from casting it by making a party with only four dudes).

The post-game fight against Liz will also have her casting Diarahan once.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rangpur posted:

Thank ye kindly, that's a relief to hear. I honestly thought it was going to be a regular thing from now on.

On the other hand, be prepared for Mamudoon and Mahamon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You could also just turn her into pure support with Mediarahan or buffs. Not really as good since Fuuka exists and most of the party buffs aren't that crucial, but if you like Rise or want to preserve your accessory slot, it's an option.

She also makes a decent Teardropper, but her Agility isn't top-tier, so she might naturally move slower than characters like Akihiko.

• Locked thread