Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Are all the FOEs as annoyingly bulky and weaknessless like the card soldiers? Though maybe killing one at level six didn't help it feeling like a giant meat sponge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Burning Beetles are the worst. :argh:

At least they're polite enough to not murder you if they get an ambush.
The FOE gear drops seem kind of weird compared to the EO games, the painter soldiers give you an armor that's almost three times better than anything you can get in the first labyrinth, while the card soldiers only give you a slightly better sword you can't even make until the second one, does this change as it goes on?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well, the first boss sure was disappointing, the painter soldiers were way more dangerous than she was. Also the cutscene before the fight was funny considering the mini soldiers all died to double casts of ma-anything while also being weak to it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Man, the third FOE of labyrinth two is way stronger than the previous two by a massive amount, it actually took effort to kill the moment I first found one.

Dexie posted:

What's a good level to do the "Investigate You in Wonderland" request? That drat beetle is kicking my rear end.

I killed it the moment it showed up, level 20, but my entire front line was wearing the male&dog armor that unlocks from killing the second FOE in labyrinth two. If you've already got that just make sure to have lots of lightning damage as that's the only thing it's weak to, as well as tarunda.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Manatee Cannon posted:

That works as well, thanks. And while I'm getting help, what persona has an agility binding move? I need some snakeskin.

Easiest way to get it is to level an ukobach, it gets it at like level 6.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Links get insanely strong once you get double link and golden link combined together, god drat. What's up with Kanji's base stats though, he has almost half as much strength as the other strength focused characters with no major loss of other stats.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Fenris13 posted:

His agility is much lower than other attacks, but I can't remember if agility only determines attack order and dodge, or if it also determines your chance to hit. His SP is also the second lowest overall. His strength growth is great, but he does pay for it in some areas at least.

His awful SP would mean more if even physical sub-personae couldn't reasonably afford to use his innate matarukaja twice before going too far into his actual SP reserves, and he doesn't seem to miss much more than anyone else.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Neeksy posted:

How do links work? I don't think it's ever been explained in game.

If someone hits the target you used the initial link attack on after they use it on that turn, they get an extra hit in at a much higher strength than the initial hit. As the other guy said, they're not too impressive until you pick up double link and further link related passives, at which point it starts scaling really well.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Has anyone seen a curse circle spell? I need it for my faux arcanist Naoto.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Ostentatious posted:

Is it just me, or is Naoto cripplingly mediocre in Persona Q?

I can't seem to make her work in my rotations effectively.

I don't know how it'll fare later on, but in labyrinth 2 so far I've been using her as a faux arcanist/hexer, pretty much just have her spam autokills on normal battles and status effects and binds against FOEs, she has really good magic agility and luck so she'll generally go first and have a good success rate at landing stuff.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Vengarr posted:

Got Naoto first time cuz I play to win :smugteddie:

Do you get the option to bridal carry everyone? Because I might have to replay the game however many times to see all the outcomes.

All the women get that option, also all the men get less conversation pieces which was disappointing, even Theodore. Additionally you can redo the selection rooms of destiny without replaying the game, just go walk into the first room again.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

So, is it just the game saying I shouldn't be fighting it yet or do lovely dolls have utterly absurd evasion rates? I was missing half the time with sukunda and sukaja up.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well the old doll was rather disappointing, I fought it and panic'd it with panic circle on the first turn of the fight and then killed it on the 6th turn later while it was still panicing from that first circle.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Lunar Suite posted:

I'm stuck on the first floor of the fourth labyrinth...
http://i.imgur.com/iZDKW69.jpg
White circles are unlit torches. Red circles are lit torches. Orange are FOE paths, green are tiles the map chest says I've not been to yet.
I must be missing one pinwheel or another to carry the fire over but for hte life of me I don't get where. Also some paths seem only possible when you murder the FOEs so I must be doing something wrong - I don't have fire where I should?

If I'm remembering right, bottom right torch and carry it upwards, it should just give you enough reach to get to the one above it, then carrying it along the rest of the way fairly obviously.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

KingEffingFrost posted:

Finally finished the Evil Spirit Club. Overall, I really liked it, definitely the best labyrinth so far. One thing did bug me though: did I miss a passage or is there a forced FOE fight on the last floor in the southwest corner of the map? I could not for the life of me get around to the other side of the wall where the second to last darkness key was, so I just fought one of the Lovely Dolls to break through.

If you're talking about the spot I think you are, that tetris piece shaped wall had two shortcuts in it, one by the switch and one to the left of the key

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Vengarr posted:

The FOEs in Inaba Pride are really too weak to justify worrying about the puzzles. Except for the shrine-carrying FOE, that guy will gently caress you up good but he's also the easiest to avoid.

Most egregiously, the stairs in Floor 2 are blocked off by an FOE and the other characters wants you to go the long way across the entire labyrinth to avoid him. Except you can kill him as soon as he shows up without any trouble. Except that the next floor requires you to bring a torch with you, and the only way to get that torch is to do the whole floor anyway! :shepicide:

My first experience with the festival dudes was getting my entire team one shot for over twice their max hp by its random target slash attack. I promptly went back with 3 guys with death's scythe skillcards and killed it before panic could run out. Speaking of death's scythe, that passive seems insanely powerful, I think it's doubling my damage against panicing FOEs roughly.
I really like the floor gimmicks of the 4th labyrinth, even if brute forcing through the floors would be really easy.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 9, 2014

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Probably a silly question but if you never played Persona 3 or 4 is this game worth playing?

If you've played the Etrian Odyssey games and just want more of that type of gameplay I'd say yes. The game's had a lot more interesting labyrinths than EO4 has, but at the same time it's really easy to break the game over your knee.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

StandardVC10 posted:

Old Doll update: it kept following me until I got trapped between it and a babby FOE, whereupon I got super lucky and got an instant kill on it. Which makes me wonder what the hell I was supposed to do about it.

The intended method is to trap it between the two lights that're roughly at the center of the map Now that I've got the myriad arrow crew up and running I'm going to go kill it again without using hamaon on principle.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Manatee Cannon posted:

They're not anywhere near as bad as the Burning Beetles and their gimmick isn't as annoying as the Kings. I feel that the big generic shadows get less dangerous the further you get in the game.

I think what I did was panic them. It almost always worked, and after that you can't miss and they can't use magic.

Coincidentally, panic is the answer to nearly every single fight in the game.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

So I just killed the 4th boss, and all I have to say is ellipses....

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

ImpAtom posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone found anything worthwhile about the Shura skills? They seem kinda like total poo poo.

It's an important part of getting the biggest numbers possible, but generally shura tensei isn't worth it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Strange Quark posted:

Since no one else mentioned it, I'm pretty sure the appropriate elemental boost counts for physical skills.

More generally useful are the +slash damage passives since it applies to every link instead of only the matching element.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, but I figure since there are only so many slots you could argue in favor of ramping up the damage by focusing on having only one element versus general versatility.

Worst case you could stack the two if you really wanted to, but being able to hit most/all of the elements is nice since the vast majority of enemies have some sort of elemental weakness, though.

Talking about not links for a moment, what do some of the other characters get for their bonus 4th skill? Of the ones I've seen Kanji has the only one that has seemed impressive in any real sense, disincluding the P3/P4MC's resistances.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

ZeButler posted:

Yosuke gets a move that deals heavy... stab, I think, damage and has a low chance of instant kill, which gets higher when the target has an ailment. Yukiko gets Inferno Boost, which is Fire Boost on steroids, and Naoto gets increased chance of knocking an enemy down. Those are the only ones I know so far.

On that topic, did any one else's P3MC make Margaret an absolute chump by critting every single god drat turn? Between him and my P4MC using Kaguya, that fight was over in about 6 or 7 turns.

I killed Margaret In I think it was three turns, death's scythe, panic circle and myriad arrows is one unbelievably stupid combo.
Yukari got tornado boost which was the same thing but for wind, and Shinjiro just got that passive that makes single target skills have a chance to hit targets beside the chosen target.
I think death's scythe is the strongest passive I've found so far in regards to killing FOEs&bosses.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

ZeButler posted:

I'd have to probably agree with Death's Scythe being the strongest passive, which is why I have a Chernobog in my Compendium with it already learned. It also doesn't help bosses that both my Yosuke and Naoto have Impure Reach, Naoto has Stagnant Air, and Yosuke has Bloody Vanguard. Oh, and he currently has Death Chaser on his Sub-Persona. Death Chaser is amazing, in my opinion, especially with something like Magatsu-Izanagi's Calamity Seed, which is basically a Myriad Arrows Circle, which also triggers Death Chaser if they're in the same row, so it should trigger links as well.

Also, a Mind Charged Agidyne with Inferno Boost is a very scary thing.

I've not really used combat magic past the first two labyrinths, what sort of damage does that output against stuff in the last labyrinth, I'm curious how it actually stacks up against boring old myriad arrow spam.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Chie/Akihiko's seems like it'd make them actually usable, Junpei's sounds utterly amazing, if Koromaru's is an upgraded passive of what I assume it it, it'd be really good, and Teddie continues to be the worst character, I cannot see a single redeeming trait in the entirety of Persona Q Teddie. I'm disappointed there's no dragon shuffle equivilent in this game though.

I've used Fuuka's a bit, and it generally just gave me a massive exp buff for that battle, the 4th labyrinth boss gave everyone a level and a half roughly due to it. I also got what seemed to be a double damage buff out of it once, I assume it has a similar equivilent for rakukaja/sukukaja.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 13, 2014

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

ZeButler posted:

Does it always get advantage?

Every time I've fought him I've gotten the advantage on it, so I'm going to go with no it doesn't.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

ZeButler posted:

Double Megidolaons? Sounds fun.

How hard is it to panic him?

I've only bothered fighting it twice but my Naoto with 80ish luck and impure reach generally has it stick within the duration of a panic circle, usually the first two turns.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

KingEffingFrost posted:

I didn't manage to panic the 4th boss at all, but I did stick an Agility Bind on it for 12 turns after Stagnant Air. I don't think any of its hits ever landed on me... Oh, that reminds me, do you actually have to fight the Festival Dudes in the manner prescribed by Elizabeth? I mean, I did it, but it seemed like she may have been trolling.

Doing what Elizabeth tells you to removes their ability to use crazed slash, diarahan and they only get one attack per turn. It might also do something else but I always just panic killed them so I'm not completely sure.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

How are you supposed to hit the limit on infinite link, the most I can reach without lucky heroic gemini triggers is the 4 party members + a self hit from panic.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Zurai posted:

Infinite Links has a limit?

Far as I've read it caps out at 8 links.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've been using it more and it feels like it's only 100% chance on the kind of thing that you were about to kill anyway. I think the way it works is it's 100% chance for you to cast panic when you attack, but the enemies still have their own resistances and immunities so I could be fighting a FOE where it never triggers at all. Teddie's Agility Bind activates a lot, I think nothing has resistances to that yet

Oh right that could be a good reason to upgrade. If Chie does a link then Death Counter can she activate her own link?

I've triggered my own links with heroic gemini, so I'd guess yes.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Looking through a list of sub-personas and their skills, is there really nothing higher level than astaroth with salome's kiss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Volt Catfish posted:

How do I get to be even more strong? Heat Riser + Dragon's Cry + Power Charge + Myriad Arrows is pretty awesome, but I want even more damage!!!

If you just want sheer overkill numbers, you'll need orgia mode and shura tensei as well since those don't take up buff slots while giving large damage multiplier bonuses.

• Locked thread