Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Are the characters designed to the same basic styles as they are in their main games? I.E. Mitsuru gets ice magic, Yosuke gets wind and so on? Is anyone different? How does the new character play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

Between this game and the Ultimax series I think Yu Narukami and his intrepid Scooby Gang are getting a little sick of the metaphysical poo poo about now.

Hell, the P3 kids killed DEATH ITSELF and they're still dealing with this poo poo. The Scoobies are gonna be Shadow-smashing until the day they die (or turn evil).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Marie got better when the game was over. She sort of suffered from Clara disorder (Doctor Who reference) in that the "mystery" about her was more important than her character. Once she was allowed to be a character, she was actually rather likable and added a great sense of hope and positivity to the end game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

I'm all the gently caress about a new Persona game, but I've never played an EO game before. I've been reading about it, and I've got an honest question: is there some appeal to the manual map-making that I'm not understanding? Just seems like added tedium at first blush.

It adds a sense that you really are exploring a mysterious labyrinth that nobody has been in before. You can make your own notes on it and it appeals to an old-school RPG mentality. Otherwise, yeah, I guess it's just sort of additional work.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
EO is relentlessly difficult to the point of being unfun, and the battle system always felt clunky and slow. Has that been improved in this one?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Finally picked this game up. Started on the P3 side because...I dunno, just felt like being the P3 MC. Aigis, Akihiko, Junpei and Zen/Rei as my starting party.

Now I'm on the second level of the second labyrinth, loving this game. A lot more accessible and maybe a little more forgiving than the regular Etrian Odyssey games (and try as I might I just couldn't get into EO or EO4). The music is great, the character interactions are great, and the sub Persona system is a stroke of genius. I'd actually love to see some variation on it show up in later Persona games. It kind of reminds me of the Magatama system from Nocturne.

I do have a question, actually:

I've taken on a request that requires me to kill an enemy in a specific way, by binding its agility. I had thought this just meant using Sukunda on it, but apparently that isn't the solution. What move is the Agility Bind skill? Who learns it/what Personas can I fuse for it?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If you haven't, try Aigis. She's a beast, Orgia mode breaks the early game and will save your rear end 9/10 times.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm only at the tail end of the second Labyrinth, but this game feels like it's going to go in the exact opposite direction of Devil Survivor, where Phys is really loving good and Magic is useless.

If only I had both Kanji and Chie tearin' poo poo up :(

I like the elemental physical attacks a lot. So long as I can keep getting my boosts, Akihiko and Junpei will just slaughter everyone.

Thuryl posted:

At some point you want to level up both the P3MC and the P4MC to level 55 to unlock a quest that enables major upgrades for all your characters, so if you feel like mixing your party up it's worth throwing the P3MC in there for a while. Even if you'd rather not use him, at least stick your best Growth accessory on him once those become available.

Oh poo poo. I'm glad I heard about this now, I was definitely not gonna use the P4MC until I played that route. I'll slap a Growth accessory on him then--that'll let him get exp even if he's not in my party, right?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, status effects in this game seem just plain bananas, in a good way.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So when do I get to have six party members in my group? I see I have six slots overall, so I assume I can upgrade it at some point?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Butt Ghost posted:

I a little confused on when this takes place on the P3 side. Maybe I'm just misremembering, but I thought Chidori didn't get hospitalized until after Shinjiro died.

IIRC she is hospitalized pretty early in, because she makes a move on the group alone.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've just got to the point where the P3 cast have joined me, but since I never played P3 I don't know which ones are good and which ones are lame. The party I was thinking of using is both protagonists, Chie, Naoto and Aigis, would that be good enough to get me through, assuming I got some healing powers on a couple of sub-Personas?

Aigis is a beast as is Naoto. Chie has physical attacks and a little ice, so she may be a bit redundant. I'd swap her out for Mitsuru.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ApplesandOranges posted:

Physicals are way better than magic, and Mitsuru only gets single-target magic anyway. Tentarafoo is cool but I feel like Yosuke pulls it off slightly better with his absurd Agility (even if his luck is horrid).

In any case I'd say Akihiko is the most well-rounded P4 member. Great Agility and decent enough in all other stats to do almost anything semi-competently. He won't hit as hard as Kanji/Shinjiro but otherwise he's good, even if his skills outside of (Ma-)tarunda are ehh.

I saw that Chie learns Power Charge at like level 15 and I regret not having her in my team, but I'm going a magical route and living with it.

MC3/Akihiko/Junpei
Zen/Naoto

I think I got my bases covered with that line-up. Junpei's really solid, maybe moreso than he was in P3 itself.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the benefit to going back and killing FOE's? I'm in the third floor of labyrinth two and everybody is about level 23, so I figure I can crush the card soldiers fairly easily now. I did one for a request and got a cool Persona in it, but is there a cut-off to when there's any gain to be had from going back and cleaning house?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there a list of the characters who banter together? My team doesn't do much in the way of bantering in battle (MC3, Junpei, Akihiko, Zen, Naoto).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

Its basically what you'd expect. Naoto and kanji, yukari and junpei, that sorta thing

Are there any pairings of P4 and P3 characters? I know that Teddie and Koromaru kind of form a rapport.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So basically, Koromaru and Everyone.

If/when I ever play this game for the P4 route, I'll have to stick him in.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Grimace posted:

I like Zen and Rei, but consensus is that they're pretty much nowhere near as good as a full-time persona user, even with all of their abilities. They're a jack of all trades, master of none. That should influence your decision.

If you like the fact that they have access to all elemental spells, maybe grab a Tzitzimatl and snag it onto someone for much the same effect. Zen and Rei are nice because of stuff like that and their natural SP regen, but they'll never be heavy hitters and their only status effect is Curse, which is a coin toss in terms of usefulness- especially when Panic is easily available to many other party members.

They are great in the early game for sure, especially before you get sub personas since they recover SP on their own. Specialization gets higher numbers, but I like that I can rely on Z&R for any given situation--if I gotta deal damage, I can probably hit a weakness, I can heal the team, I can buff the team, I can put up a shield against status effects, they have enough tools to warrant use. Hex Slice is great too if you need a damage-dealing status ailment.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm in my mid-40's and near the end of the third labyrinth. I need some panic skills, so what Personas are available to get some good panic spells for fusing?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Well I just beat the first floor of Labyrinth four. Honestly, this isn't so bad. I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I am sad. I think I have lost my 3DS and within it Persona Q as well. I shall never know how this game ends.

• Locked thread