Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i still call it political correctness because im 50 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Edit: Why is "safe spaces" such a horrific conservative trigger word? Oh no, people can go about their lives without fear of harassment or violence! The horror!

I'd say it's people whining about not being able to be assholes to minorities, and perhaps some misogynistic machismo where "safe space" has the implication of being protective or nurturing, which is Bad because "real men" are supposed to be able to toughen up and "take it," just like their daddies taught them by calling them sissies and grabbing a belt when they cried. "Safe" is for babies and women, real men are unemotional and tough, thus unaffected by abuse and harassment.

edit: For example, I'm pretty sure someone in this thread mentioned someone's "fee-fees" getting hurt in response to harassment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sharkie posted:

edit: For example, I'm pretty sure someone in this thread mentioned someone's "fee-fees" getting hurt in response to harassment.
Specifically in response to taunting and assaulting rape victims.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think any university permits personal harassment of someone just walking down the street minding her own business, even if it is a transphobe bigot who refers to people with slurs like "shemales" unironically.

Uh, how do you know I'm not genderfuck engaging in reappropriation of a negative dysphemism? Or did that possibility not even occur to cisscum blinded by hir own privilege?

SedanChair posted:

I bet you like a lot of repugnant poo poo but will never say it out loud.

You're wrong about the second bit because I admit I just love SedanChair posts.

Sharkie posted:

I'd say it's people whining about not being able to be assholes to minorities, and perhaps some misogynistic machismo where "safe space" has the implication of being protective or nurturing, which is Bad because "real men" are supposed to be able to toughen up and "take it," just like their daddies taught them by calling them sissies and grabbing a belt when they cried. "Safe" is for babies and women, real men are unemotional and tough, thus unaffected by abuse and harassment.

Yeah. Well, or that a term originally conceived as a way to provide LGBT teens a place that was literally safe from harassment and bullying but was taken up and misappropriated by whiny authoritarians who willingly conflate the idea of imminent threats to their personal safety or mental health with the existence of dissenting views. One of the two.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 4, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

I bet she was a sizeist transphobe so if you wouldn't have taken part in the direct action campaign like those other activists then I guess you don't want to create a safe space for obese shemales on campus.

I bet you like a lot of repugnant poo poo but will never say it out loud. Jacking off to the Police Beat column type poo poo.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

Uh, how do you know I'm not genderfuck engaging in reappropriation of a negative dysphemism? Or did that possibility not even occur to cisscum blinded by hir own privilege?

gay

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Sharkie posted:

http://www.thefire.org/second-victory-24-hours-college-suppressed-anti-nsa-petition-settles-lawsuit

Ugh, how can the NSA feel safe monitoring all of our communications when they're being bullied and harassed by white cismale fascists?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Main Paineframe posted:

The quote, by itself, is not offensive. However, it directly contradicts the supposed commitment to free speech you project on him. In that quote he argues very strongly that professors should not discuss things irrelevant to the class material in class, especially if they are of a controversial nature or have the potential to offend conservatives anyone who disagrees with what the professor said - the polar opposite of his argument now. It's almost as if he's pro-speech when it's a conservative opinion being expressed and anti-speech when a liberal opinion is being expressed.

You very well could be fired if you mentioned your politics at work, depending on your politics and your boss. It's perfectly legal to fire someone for their political opinions.

It's almost like that. Almost. His argument as I understand it was that he disagreed with the call that it WAS irrelevant and was deemed so due to perceived agendas. Wrong or not, it's not quite the same. Mind you, if he's doing the same thing he's speaking against in that quote in his classes I would be critically disappointed.

Not that we're doing much better around here when it comes to hypocrites condemning horrible practices only when they're being used by people they disagree with.

Even though I lazily gloss over other people's posts, I continue to infallibly detect their real vile meaning as the voice tells me about all of the horrible things they want to do and support. You disagree with someone but I agree with you? Let me tell you all of the horrible things THEY believe. I am a trustworthy witness because, as addressed before, I am beyond mortal flaws.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I didn't add anything. He literally said that an anti-rape position is so ridiculous it must be just money in a swear jar to appease hurt feefees.

Are you like maximally illiterate?

E: here I looked it up for you, read slowly, don't hurt yourself

on the left posted:

Frats should really go on the offensive against people who want to shut them down and not give an inch to those people.

katlington posted:

Looks like they disagree with you. You're a cheerleader with no team. Is there any reason anybody should listen to you over the people who are actually involved?

on the left posted:

They probably do not disagree at all, but are being coerced into making public apologies.

on the left posted:

they'll just continue to do what they want to do and put the customary money in the swear jar every time they hurt people's fee fees.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 4, 2014

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I bet you like a lot of repugnant poo poo but will never say it out loud. Jacking off to the Police Beat column type poo poo.

I don't know, he is quite vocal about liking Israel...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Yeah. Well, or that a term originally conceived as a way to provide LGBT teens a place that was literally safe from harassment and bullying but was taken up and misappropriated by whiny authoritarians who willingly conflate the idea of imminent threats to their personal safety or mental health with the existence of dissenting views. One of the two.

Tell me more about authoritarian trans people who use their whining about imaginary violence to oppress your worthwhile opinions in their dastardly safe spaces.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

sounds like you just dont like dissenting opinions

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ernie Muppari posted:

I keep trying to picture "a safe space for white males" that is safer than the current setup of "all of Earth and everything in it"

Tarzana?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I keep trying to picture "a safe space for white males" that is safer than the current setup of "all of Earth and everything in it"

Tarzana?

Gor

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

na gor was run by alphas

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ernie Muppari posted:

Oh God it's true, it's all true
:negative:
I'm sorry

Ernie Muppari posted:

na gor was run by alphas

When the matriarchy is in chains, all betas can be alphas :patriot:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

no because they were enslaved by the alphas

god its like your not even taking this discussion seriously enough to read the thing were discussing

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tl;dr

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

I'm imagining blog posts in the future from obese fedoras: "My gently caress-slave seems insouciant, even spiteful at times. Men are under attack."

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

just what id expect from a user of the web based internet website that's on the internet hyperext

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

You're wrong about the second bit because I admit I just love SedanChair posts.

I'm going to stand with on the left's definition of free speech and throw rocks at you in lieu of posting.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Effectronica posted:

I'm going to stand with on the left's definition of free speech and throw rocks at you in lieu of posting.

Don't be surprised when someone takes the right's definition of free speech and buys you an unflattering custom avatar with fake quotes of things you never said.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smerdyakov posted:

Don't be surprised when someone takes the right's definition of free speech and buys you an unflattering custom avatar with fake quotes of things you never said.

I was referring to the poster, but hey. It's their ten dollars, providing me with quality entertainemnt.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Insect Court posted:

I don't know what you're talking about here, example? And I seriously doubt people whining and getting snarky about safe spaces are doing so because they're concerned that LGBT youth spaces are being compromised. Like, claiming transgender people, or hell, cisgender gay people, are mentally ill freaks may be a "dissenting view" but no, that doesn't belong in a purportedly safe space.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sharkie posted:

I don't know what you're talking about here, example? And I seriously doubt people whining and getting snarky about safe spaces are doing so because they're concerned that LGBT youth spaces are being compromised. Like, claiming transgender people, or hell, cisgender gay people, are mentally ill freaks may be a "dissenting view" but no, that doesn't belong in a purportedly safe space.

It's a joke about crazy people writing on tumblr or twitter taking legitimate social justice concepts and using them for wildly useless and ridiculous things such as, to make up an example, creating a hugbox where nobody call criticize them for writing male pregnancy fanfiction about the guy from Sherlock.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's a joke about crazy people writing on tumblr or twitter taking legitimate social justice concepts and using them for wildly useless and ridiculous things such as, to make up an example, creating a hugbox where nobody call criticize them for writing male pregnancy fanfiction about the guy from Sherlock.

Supernatural Dog Dick Universe

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

What is the point of bringing up what some rando posted on the web somewhere in the context of a university disciplining a frat for harassing and assaulting rape victims?

If the issue we're talking about is a legitimate one, then bringing up otherkin fairygenders on tumblr just kinda sounds like an attempt to tar real issues by association.

E: And this seems to happen every loving time women's or LGBT issues come up, we get a torrent of comments about what's next transdragons lol

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 5, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

-Troika- posted:

Supernatural Dog Dick Universe

My favorite are people who declare themselves "trans-ethnic".

VitalSigns posted:

What is the point of bringing up what some rando posted on the web somewhere in the context of a university disciplining a frat for harassing and assaulting rape victims?

Because its funny, mostly. Also there's a lot of crossover (or maybe it just seems that way) between these types and the stereotypical "anime Marxist" types.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 5, 2014

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Because its funny, mostly. Also there's a lot of crossover (or maybe it just seems that way) between these types and the stereotypical "anime Marxist" types.

So everything you know about women or LGBT people you learned from second-hand jokes on the internet.

VitalSigns posted:

If the issue we're talking about is a legitimate one, then bringing up otherkin fairygenders on tumblr just kinda sounds like an attempt to tar real issues by association.

E: And this seems to happen every loving time women's or LGBT issues come up, we get a torrent of comments about what's next transdragons lol

Yeah, it's just transphobia, and it's a good rule of thumb that anyone who brings it up in a discussion of queer issues is ignorant as hell, a bigot, or both. Like how some people can't help but bring out some half-remembered Andrea Dworkin quote whenever a topic related to feminism is being discussed, except it's even less relevant.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sharkie posted:

So everything you know about women or LGBT people you learned from second-hand jokes on the internet.

Yeah, it's just transphobia, and it's a good rule of thumb that anyone who brings it up in a discussion of queer issues is ignorant as hell, a bigot, or both. Like how some people can't help but bring out some half-remembered Andrea Dworkin quote whenever a topic related to feminism is being discussed, except it's even less relevant.

People with bullshit issues like being a furry or otherkin or their new descendants do occasionally hijack campus support and advocacy groups, but if anything that's only relevant as an example of free speech going too far.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sharkie posted:

Please take your words out of my mouth.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

just what id expect from a user of the web based internet website that's on the internet hyperext

oh oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
All the worst DnD posters in one thread, it's really hit the big time now.

• Locked thread