Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, yesterday I started reading Greg Lukianoff's recent book Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate . It's fairly well written so far though but Greg is president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education so he makes no question of his bias for absolute free speech. I rolled my eyes when he uniroincally used the phrase "Political Correctness gone amok" but some of the incidents he brings up were rather iffy ( http://www.thefire.org/cases/indian...reading-a-book/ http://www.thefire.org/20-percent-of-students-feel-having-unpopular-views-on-campus-is-unsafe/ http://www.thefire.org/cases/university-of-delaware-students-required-to-undergo-ideological-reeducation/ http://www.thefire.org/cases/valdosta-state-university-student-expelled-for-peacefully-protesting-parking-garages/ )

Now, I'm still fairly early in the book but I have two questions:

1. Is this guy and FIRE being truthful or leaving out critical information on the cases it mentions?

2. Has any poster here encountered restrictions of speech on campus or is Lukianoff cherry picking incidents?

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Phone-posting, but it is 100% guaranteed that what anyone who unironically says "political correctness run amok" means by free speech being under attack is "my trash Republican comments were met with anything other than fawning approval".

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Is this like the big boy version of people frothing about the kid with the gun-shaped pop tart? Because the same arguments apply. It's not an issue.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I'm fine with clubs inviting whomever they want on campus, however I also feel that the campus should in no way be required to police who comes to the event the speaker is speaking at, and the speaker is barred from preventing dissenting voices from asking questions. Yeah I don't think that's what the right would actually want.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
conservatives allegedly emphasize personal responsibility but get pissy when challenged for their views, news at eleven.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

AmiYumi posted:

Phone-posting, but it is 100% guaranteed that what anyone who unironically says "political correctness run amok" means by free speech being under attack is "my trash Republican comments were met with anything other than fawning approval".

If emptyquoting were allowed here I would do so.

Instead, I will add that you could pretty much read that this was going to be the issue from the thread title. That's not to say that freedom of speech isn't a problem in some places but rear end in a top hat conservatives who head organizations with "clever" acronyms for names are pretty much the only ones who complain about it.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

R. Mute posted:

Is this like the big boy version of people frothing about the kid with the gun-shaped pop tart? Because the same arguments apply. It's not an issue.

i did some light googling and the stuff that is referenced in those links seems to have happened, why is it not an issue?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

You obviously weren't on campus in the early 90s, when 'speech codes' were in vogue. Even today, you're crazy if you think that there's a right-wing bias on the university campus.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheImmigrant posted:

You obviously weren't on campus in the early 90s, when 'speech codes' were in vogue. Even today, you're crazy if you think that there's a right-wing bias on the university campus.

Right wing bias is a thing in University campus.

Because the US is a thoroughly right wing country. That doesn't mean they agree on everything.

Though he is right, generally when people do the free speech thing it is generally "why won't they just agree with me?"

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i actually joined a conservative group that is dedicated to fighting back against the liberal dominance of discourse on campus (because they have really good food). it is literally just a bunch of white people hand wringing about how no one agrees with their lovely ideas. if there was actual systemic oppression of conservative ideology, then good, gently caress these people

ive seen actual people in their twenties wearing BOWTIES.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

fanged wang posted:

i did some light googling and the stuff that is referenced in those links seems to have happened, why is it not an issue?
Because it's not a systemic problem. Overreactions and decisions made by local idiots (or totally innocent situations which are then twisted and misrepresented) are collected and thrown forward in an attempt to present a wider issue - in the case of the pop tart gun, it's that PC liberal school teachers have it out for the second amendment and all its pop tart related clauses. In this case, it's that boo hoo hoo people don't just swallow my idiot right wing blathering so I'm being oppressed. If people like the FIRE want to be taken seriously, they're going to have to actually establish a pattern or at least provide some proof that this isn't just a series of isolated incidents. Other movements against systemic problems (say, racism) have to do this time and time again, so why shouldn't these guys? And no, a poll asking uni students if they're sometimes on the receiving end of social pressure for the first time in their idiot lives isn't enough.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Jagchosis posted:

i actually joined a conservative group that is dedicated to fighting back against the liberal dominance of discourse on campus (because they have really good food). it is literally just a bunch of white people hand wringing about how no one agrees with their lovely ideas. if there was actual systemic oppression of conservative ideology, then good, gently caress these people

Young Americans for Liberty? I knew one guy who joined that, of course he was a Paultard. Nice guy but when he handed me a pamphlet about how FDR caused the Great Depression is when I tuned him out.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
*reads about a guy whose livelihood is threatened because he read a book about the history of the school he works for*

sounds like a rethuglican shitlord to me, hope he dies.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Right wing bias is a thing in University campus.

Because the US is a thoroughly right wing country. That doesn't mean they agree on everything.

Though he is right, generally when people do the free speech thing it is generally "why won't they just agree with me?"

Universities are solidly left-wing zones.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
There is absolutely no way that's the whole story

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, free speech is constantly under attack at universities all over the US. FIRE spends most of it's time dealing with such things, in fact.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Nckdictator posted:

Young Americans for Liberty? I knew one guy who joined that, of course he was a Paultard. Nice guy but when he handed me a pamphlet about how FDR caused the Great Depression is when I tuned him out.

I heard YAL was started around the same time Heritage and the National Review came into existence, and yeah they're basically another College Republicans group.

I remember sophomore year after Obama won, they kept putting up fliers around campus saying "Uncle Sam wants YOU to end the nanny state"

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
i know if i hear about a thing that doesn't immediately flatter my biases i dismiss it completely and regurgitate canned talking points about a nebulous other to reassure myself

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I like their header graphic.

"Thanks to FIRE, I don't have to feel sad when truculent women, minorities and SJWs try to tell me how racist I am. Focus on me; the world is about me."

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Jagchosis posted:

ive seen actual people in their twenties wearing BOWTIES.

http://www.theonion.com/video/gop-maintains-solid-hold-on-youth-that-already-loo,36778/

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I heard YAL was started around the same time Heritage and the National Review came into existence, and yeah they're basically another College Republicans group.

I remember sophomore year after Obama won, they kept putting up fliers around campus saying "Uncle Sam wants YOU to end the nanny state"

That's their free speech.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheImmigrant posted:

Universities are solidly left-wing zones.

More left wing then more rural parts yeah, but that doesn't really mean anything by itself. It is more a mixture of both.

TheImmigrant posted:

That's their free speech.

He never said anything different?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What do you think, OP?

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's incredibly plain to the outside world.

That YOU. America, are, as a country are collectively sliding into a volcanic pit of sin and abandonment.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

More left wing then more rural parts yeah, but that doesn't really mean anything by itself. It is more a mixture of both.

It tilts heavily to the left, certainly more so than any other milieu in the US.

quote:

He never said anything different?

It's an odd argument, mocking the speech of right-wingers on campus on a thread about censorship on campus. Right-wingers are heavily outnumbered on most university campuses, and subject to strong social ostracism. It's not per se censorship, but there's little direct honest engagement of their ideas and more dismissal by argumentum ad populum.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 28, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

It tilts heavily to the left, certainly more so than any other milieu in the US.

Comparatively yeah, but on pure numbers not really.

TheImmigrant posted:

It's an odd argument, mocking the speech of right-wingers on campus on a thread about censorship on campus. Right-wingers are heavily outnumbered on most university campuses, and subject to strong social ostracism. It's not per se censorship, but there's direct honest engagement of their ideas and more dismissal by argumentum ad populum.
Nah that doesn't really happen.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah that doesn't really happen.

Strange that you say that on this thread, where the sneering has already begun.

Universities are very tolerant places when it comes to superficial things like skin color or piercings or sexual orientation, so long as everyone has similar ideas.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Strong social ostracism? Get over yourselves. Or you know, participate in social activities with people who aren't conservatives. Oh that's right you can't because you fear and despise them. Who is promoting the ostracism?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
sounds like conservatives just need to toughen up and live in the real world like the rest of us grownass adults

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
in my opinion, they are less than human. i'm insanely progressive.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Do you motherfuckers not understand that college is where you go to get your ideas challenged?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

Strange that you say that on this thread, where the sneering has already begun.

Universities are very tolerant places when it comes to superficial things like skin color or piercings or sexual orientation, so long as everyone has similar ideas.

This forum is not representative of anything really.

Though literally nothing you say is true so I think you might be trolling, right wingers do not have to deal with any real mocking at campuses. No doubt people do mock them, but it isn't that prevalent. Hell they engage in the same behavior just with the switch of who is being mocked.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Lukianoff is a public interest lawyer. He presents his public cause as especially important and urgent, because it is his.

There are situations arising on college campuses where the administration or the faculty impairs freedom of speech, by direct prohibition or by abuse of authority. FIRE offers legal resources to people in such situations. It's what they do all day. But I don't see evidence that anyone similarly spends all day creating all of these situations in a coordinated way.

Lukianoff notes that FIRE offered assistance to Ward Churchill when he was under a very coordinated attack, which Churchill did not accept. Lukianoff's take how that case developed later on is a frustratingly liberal one, either ignorant or indifferent to the way that the misconduct investigation against Churchill was politically constructed.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Strong social ostracism? Get over yourselves. Or you know, participate in social activities with people who aren't conservatives. Oh that's right you can't because you fear and despise them. Who is promoting the ostracism?

I'm not a conservative, although I do have conservatives in my social circles. Do you have any that you'd call friends? The social ostracism goes both ways, but since there are no conservatives on this thread (and very few on D&D in general), there's no point in debating them.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Do you motherfuckers not understand that college is where you go to get your ideas challenged?

When was the last time you had your left-wing ideas challenged at college? Have you ever considered attending an Objectivist lecture? Why not? I went to one once, just to see what it was about. I listened, thought about it, and was resoundingly unconvinced; but I was more secure in my rejection of Randianism after leaving than I had been when I walked in.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Comparatively yeah, but on pure numbers not really.

If you're talking about with regards to the whole world, then maybe?

But within the U.S. itself, college campuses slide very heavily left.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
i love how instead of addressing any of the specific cases mentioned in the op people are just beating up some imaginary conservative they thought up who is a real jerk, it takes a strong mind to outwit a strawman imo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

4th Asclepiadean posted:

If you're talking about with regards to the whole world, then maybe?

But within the U.S. itself, college campuses slide very heavily left.

Nah I am talking about the US.

I can't speak about the rest of the world, I don't know much about their cultural quirks in this case.

fanged wang posted:

i love how instead of addressing any of the specific cases mentioned in the op people are just beating up some imaginary conservative they thought up who is a real jerk, it takes a strong mind to outwit a strawman imo

It was addressed, in certain isolated cases it can happen, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of any coordinated purposeful attempt at censorship.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

fanged wang posted:

in my opinion, they are less than human. i'm insanely progressive.

this but un

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Universities, with the possible exception of right leaning ones like Bob Dole and religious colleges, don't pressure people into actively supporting political causes, right or left. You can be completely apolitical if you want and will run into no trouble. It is true that right wing ideology is usually not welcome around universities, but you don't actually have a right to have your ideology be welcome anywhere, only that the government can't restrict your ability to speak

So yes, it does boil down to 'other people should be required to humor my terrible ideas'

• Locked thread