Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

I know this wasn't directed at me but If I could share a quote from Lukianoff's book that started this whole thread.

Now, I don't fully agree with that and I think the author there might have a rose-colored view of race relations in this country but it's still a viewpoint worth considering I guess.

This would probably be viewed as an attack on their freedom of speech as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't see how getting expelled from a voluntary organization like a university for verbally abusing fellow students is "coercion" or "enforced silence". You can go be a bigot somewhere else where you're not bothering people who are coming to learn without being called niggers, dykes, and spics. It's not like UCLA is throwing you into the back of a van and carting you off to Gitmo for wrongthink.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Relative to D&D in general, I probably qualify as an extreme homophobe, but I cannot picture what's going through the mind of someone who would do this.

I believe it to be implication by their peers that violence of this sort toward the 'wrong' sort of people is acceptable which leads them to think it a valid outlet for other frustrations in their lives. That, or they are so short on empathy that they don't even consider the impact their actions are having and think it's simply 'funny'. Either way it's loathsome. Perhaps more the culture than the individual.

Poizen Jam posted:

OK, So Snark, I take it you agree with speech codes and limiting speech as it pertains to bigoted beliefs. But seemingly you have a problem with dismissing such folks outright? And no problem with the bigoted shitheel professor attacking that grad student for something she didn't even do?

What hateful slurs did the bigoted shitheel professor attack that poor innocent grad student with again? And to again amend, dismissing is more or less fine. Though you're not going to be able to argue with them doing that, which I would feel is rather important in a public forum at the very least and probably good practice even when not.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

VitalSigns posted:

Ha, why are conservatives so chickenshit when it comes to their ideas? For people who believe they have ideas on loan from God, they sure are pansies who spend their time hiding behind elaborate smokescreens.

"No, I don't believe that gays are subhuman, how dare you say that? I just believe that they don't deserve full and equal human rights! What's appropriate for them is some kind of lesser category of human rights, a subcategory of full human rights, sub-human rights if you will."

The people I disagree with all believe people who are not them are horrible subhumans who don't deserve full and equal rights. The possibility that they might be in favor of human rights for all is... It's really just absurd. That would mean I am wrong, and as we have addressed, I am of flawless thought.

Now let me tell you what these horrible people are saying about rights. These aren't the words they're saying of course, but they are what they mean. I know this because the voice told me and this could in no way indicate my own deeply buried resentments.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 3, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can everyone (well mostly Snark) stop putting words into people's mouths or assume intent and actually get down to what rules they think are ok for a university to have.
Snark, in terms of actual clear rules the university can implement what would you support in terms of creating a non-hostile environment for students, or is this even a worthy goal? Can you explain this without the use of "dismissed" or "subhuman" ?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Snark posted:

The people I disagree with all believe people who are not them are horrible subhumans who don't deserve full and equal rights. The possibility that they might be in favor of human rights for all is... It's really just absurd. That would mean I am wrong, and as we have addressed, I am of flawless thought.

Now let me tell you what these horrible people are saying about rights. These aren't the words they're saying of course, but they are what they mean. I know this because the voice told me and this could in no way indicate my own deeply buried resentments.

So are you from a parallel universe where conservatives support equal rights or something? Like, it is their specific, announced, advocated, proudly displayed position that the laws on the books should discriminate against gay people.

No one is suggesting conservatives should get disciplined by universities for supporting tax cuts or charter schools or an alliance with Taiwan or whatever. It's only when it comes to poo poo that fellow students who are trying to get an education absolutely should not have to deal with, like a bunch of bullshit about how they're not full people and are valid targets for discrimination to be ground under the boot.

But you don't have to take my word for it, let me quote from your link to be sure I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth

The First Motherfucking Page of Some NeoNazi Whiner's Blog You Linked posted:

Of course, a “campus wide climate study” is going to be a survey to see whether students harbor any politically incorrect attitudes about any politically correct group. Gay and lesbian students will be asked to report instances where anybody let on that they think that homosexuality is not a normal condition, or that homosexual acts are sinful or immoral.

In other words, any instances where some student might let slip that they accept Catholic teaching on homosexuality. That can’t be allowed at a modern Catholic university.

And of course, student activists can be counted on to seize on even the most trivial slight or “micro aggression” to make into a grievance. That’s what the grievance mongers do.

Likewise, if a student lets on that they think that problems in the black community are not the result or white racism, of if a white student fails to “own” his or her “white privilege,” that will count as an example of a “hostile” and “non-inclusive” climate.

The Southern Baptist Convention or the KKK will be perfectly welcoming to shitheels who want to go back to Jim Crow, we don't need them making GBS threads up the classroom with that kind of long-debunked crap.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 3, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Baronjutter posted:

Can everyone (well mostly Snark) stop putting words into people's mouths or assume intent and actually get down to what rules they think are ok for a university to have.
Snark, in terms of actual clear rules the university can implement what would you support in terms of creating a non-hostile environment for students, or is this even a worthy goal? Can you explain this without the use of "dismissed" or "subhuman" ?

I'm sorry, posting peer, but I believe you meant to ask Vitalsigns that. For what it's worth though I would certainly agree that Straw Men are at best ineffective argument tools. If it bothers you, please direct your complaints to those who seem to be completely incapable of speaking in anything else. God knows I'VE tried.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

katlington posted:

This would probably be viewed as an attack on their freedom of speech as well.

Based on the blog that Snark is using as "evidence" of liberal censorship of free speech, you would be correct

:rolleyes: posted:

This, of course, is a fundraising video, but the reality it talks about (no free speech for people critical of homosexuality) is endemic. The situation in the U.S., with our First Amendment, is better in strict legal terms, but bullying, harassment and intimidation from the gay lobby can achieve the same thing here that arrests can in the U.K.

:qq: You can't call me a shitbag for saying gays are subhuman scum for whom a Final Solution is too long overdue! What about my right to be universally praised for my poo poo opinions and my other first amendment right to never be criticized?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nckdictator posted:

I know this wasn't directed at me but If I could share a quote from Lukianoff's book that started this whole thread.

Now, I don't fully agree with that and I think the author there might have a rose-colored view of race relations in this country but it's still a viewpoint worth considering I guess.

It's more respectable than thinking a classroom argument is going to stop racism or sexism or homophobia, but it's also rather ridiculous for someone concerned with freedom of speech to say that it's OK to implicitly say that certain views should be shut up, and the only problem is when they make explicit what is already implicit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If I call someone a friend of the family at work, I'm definitely getting fired that loving day, but at university my classmates just have to deal with it, didn't they come here to get their dignity as humans challenged by fresh new ideas about the Negro?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

The Snark posted:

I'm sorry, posting peer, but I believe you meant to ask Vitalsigns that. For what it's worth though I would certainly agree that Straw Men are at best ineffective argument tools. If it bothers you, please direct your complaints to those who seem to be completely incapable of speaking in anything else. God knows I'VE tried.

:drum:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

joepinetree posted:

I don't know which country you live in, but the notion that postmodernism is mainstream in either sociology or political science in the United States is absolutely false. Just like the notion that "public policy, electoral analysis..." are being "sidelined for critical publications that create a dialogue, but don't get anything done" is also absolutely false in the American academic context.

Apropos:

http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2005/10/the_myth_of_the.html
http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2005/10/postmodernism_a.html

Funny that you cite Brian Leiter. There's probably no one more reviled by practicing attorneys than Brian Leiter. If he were burning to death, I would cross the street to piss on him, so that he would die more slowly. I'm not an angry person, but I hate Brian Leiter with the fire of ten million suns.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 4, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

Funny that you cite Brian Leiter. There's probably no one more reviled by practicing attorneys than Brian Leiter. If he were burning to death, I would cross the street to piss on him, so that he would die more slowly. I'm not an angry person, but I hate Brian Leiter with the fire of ten million suns.

Cool. Doesn't change the basic fact that the whole "postmodernists are taking over the academy" drama is bullshit.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

TheImmigrant posted:

Why? I haven't heard an opinion of Leiter or really any other academic.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The funny thing is that the klan did have a rally at my university in the last decade or so and its not like the usual suspects haven't stopped bitching that the place is overrun by PC police

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
If you mock and shout obscenities to try to drown out a person guilty of politically incorrect wrongthink, you will experience no disciplinary action. If you do the same thing to feminists, you will be disciplined and forced to sit through a bunch of sensitivity training.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
wow really sympathetic example

free speech is criminal assault perpetrated by rape supporters. okay good thanks for proving to me your view is stupid and bad

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 4, 2014

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

on the left posted:

If you mock and shout obscenities to try to drown out a person guilty of politically incorrect wrongthink, you will experience no disciplinary action. If you do the same thing to feminists, you will be disciplined and forced to sit through a bunch of sensitivity training.

quote:

On Friday, a group of fraternity members at San Diego State University reportedly interrupted a "Take Back the Night" march — an event designed to bring awareness about sexual assault — by screaming obscenities, throwing eggs and waving dildos at marchers.

The next night, a woman reported she was sexually assaulted at a party near the school's campus; she's the seventh such person to come forward this semester. A few hours after that, a 19-year-old woman alleged that six men attempted to force her into their car.

In response to the deplorable claims, all social events at fraternities have been suspended indefinitely, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune, which was also the first outlet to report on the weekend's incidents.

The decision came from leaders of the school's Greek community after they met with school administrators and the campus Sexual Assault Task Force. "It was time to really address these issues," said J. Cole, president of the Associated Students, in what is perhaps the understatement of the century.

Members of fraternities and sororities on campus will now undergo sexual assault prevention training. "Sexual violence is a problem in fraternities and the Greek system," Tommy Reid, president of the Inter-Fraternity Council, told the Union-Tribune. "We don't want to hide that. ... It's upsetting to admit."

PC gone mad.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Jagchosis posted:

wow really sympathetic example

Oh no, the evil men used really bad words like gently caress directed at the demure women. Surely public universities should punish this terrible oppressive speech.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I showed up HR training today, waved a dildo around at women, and called them whores and I got fired.

When can I get a talk radio show, my company is censoring my right to express myself.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

katlington posted:

PC gone mad.

It is PC gone mad, iit's nothing but a political disagreement. Identity politics turns it into a direct attack on feminists, but that's not really the fault of the fraternity.

Remember earlier in the thread when people were talking about the right to free speech isn't a right to be free from people disagreeing with you?

VitalSigns posted:

I showed up HR training today, waved a dildo around at women, and called them whores and I got fired.

It's not the job of the university to pick a political side and then punish people on the wrong side.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
hah yeah threatening rape victims is how we settle our differences here in the political arena

much to be gained

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

on the left posted:

It is PC gone mad, iit's nothing but a political disagreement. Identity politics turns it into a direct attack on feminists, but that's not really the fault of the fraternity.

Remember earlier in the thread when people were talking about the right to free speech isn't a right to be free from people disagreeing with you?

It's not the job of the university to pick a political side and then punish people on the wrong side.

On Friday, a group of fraternity members at San Diego State University reportedly interrupted a "Take Back the Night" march — an event designed to bring awareness about sexual assault — by screaming obscenities, throwing eggs and waving dildos at marchers.

The next night, a woman reported she was sexually assaulted at a party near the school's campus; she's the seventh such person to come forward this semester. A few hours after that, a 19-year-old woman alleged that six men attempted to force her into their car.

In response to the deplorable claims, all social events at fraternities have been suspended indefinitely, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune, which was also the first outlet to report on the weekend's incidents.

The decision came from leaders of the school's Greek community after they met with school administrators and the campus Sexual Assault Task Force. "It was time to really address these issues," said J. Cole, president of the Associated Students, in what is perhaps the understatement of the century.

Members of fraternities and sororities on campus will now undergo sexual assault prevention training. "Sexual violence is a problem in fraternities and the Greek system," Tommy Reid, president of the Inter-Fraternity Council, told the Union-Tribune. "We don't want to hide that. ... It's upsetting to admit."

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
one side says sexual violence is bad and one side says they're dirty whores and throws objects at them maybe... maybe the truth is in the middle

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Jagchosis posted:

hah yeah threatening rape victims is how we settle our differences here in the political arena

much to be gained

It might be stupid, but it's not against the law and not really even offensive speech. There was no mention of gendered slurs or other hatespeech, it was just the fraternity using their right to free speech to drown out and counterprotest another group using their right to free speech.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

But, much like my company, it is the job of the university to be able to attract employees and customers, something that tolerating harassment of rape victims would seem to undermine.

Unless you think that universities alone of all businesses are free from the necessity of needing a good reputation to sell their product.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

on the left posted:

quote:

I don't think throwing things at people is protected speech.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's almost like they haven't read the article at all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

It might be stupid, but it's not against the law and not really even offensive speech. There was no mention of gendered slurs or other hatespeech, it was just the fraternity using their right to free speech to drown out and counterprotest another group using their right to free speech.

They can exercise their right to free speech at the SBC or the KKK, just like any other business would tell a customer or employee to do if they showed up and started harassing rape victims on the premises.

But I guess your average fashionable college rightist doesn't understand things like PR, profitability, and business sense when it comes to pushing ideology

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Jagchosis posted:

one side says sexual violence is bad and one side says they're dirty whores and throws objects at them maybe... maybe the truth is in the middle

To quote you from earlier in the thread, maybe they shouldn't "get pissy when challenged for their views"

VitalSigns posted:

But, much like my company, it is the job of the university to be able to attract employees and customers, something that tolerating harassment of rape victims would seem to undermine.

Unless you think that universities alone of all businesses are free from the necessity of needing a good reputation to sell their product.

Haha yea, identity politics and _______ studies programs is really what draws alumni recruiting. Good one.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
assault is actually not lawful

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Jagchosis posted:

assault is actually not lawful

Call the police then

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

on the left posted:

To quote you from earlier in the thread, maybe they shouldn't "get pissy when challenged for their views"

Haha yea, identity politics and _______ studies programs is really what draws alumni recruiting. Good one.

Why do you think universities are doing it?

Some grand Feminists conspiracy?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

I mean, not having to worry that your daughter will be assaulted if she attends a school may have an effect on alumni donations and recruitment.

But once again fashionable college rightists don't really have much of a head for financials do they

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why do you think universities are doing it?

Some grand Feminists conspiracy?

According to the article they linked, they're doing it because the leaders of the frats think its a good idea.

quote:

Even the people on the left is defending(from horrid feminists) think on the left is wrong.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
There have been big public blowups about sexual assaults at the universities I attended for undergrad and graduate school and based on the extensive emails the administrations have sent to the alumni distribution lists, they're definitely concerned about how this stuff is affecting the donor pool.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

katlington posted:

According to the article they linked, they're doing it because the leaders of the frats think its a good idea.

Even the people on the left is defending(from horrid feminists) think on the left is wrong.

Frats should really go on the offensive against people who want to shut them down and not give an inch to those people.

VitalSigns posted:

I mean, not having to worry that your daughter will be assaulted if she attends a school may have an effect on alumni donations and recruitment.

But once again fashionable college rightists don't really have much of a head for financials do they

It's like the police don't even exist as an option to prosecute crimes.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Baronjutter posted:

This is probably the most important question for public university speech codes. How can you write a code that is broad enough to catch all harmful speech without being so broad that its application looks more like targeted punishment of disfavored speech rather than uniform punishment of harmful speech? That is, even if you want a speech code, how do you phrase it? How do you enforce it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

Frats should really go on the offensive against people who want to shut them down and not give an inch to those people.

Child, when you get older you'll see that adults have to worry about things like "reputations", and "money" to pay "expenses" and they can't afford to sacrifice their financial responsibilities just to pander to your desire for a free venue to harass and assault rape victims.

Maybe instead of whining and demanding a handout, you should bootstrap your own university where you can allow all the rape support speech you want :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

on the left posted:

The police are a separate from the University, so they wouldn't really help the U in this case, the case being the U looking proactive.

• Locked thread