Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

R. Mute posted:

Is this like the big boy version of people frothing about the kid with the gun-shaped pop tart? Because the same arguments apply. It's not an issue.

i did some light googling and the stuff that is referenced in those links seems to have happened, why is it not an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
*reads about a guy whose livelihood is threatened because he read a book about the history of the school he works for*

sounds like a rethuglican shitlord to me, hope he dies.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
i know if i hear about a thing that doesn't immediately flatter my biases i dismiss it completely and regurgitate canned talking points about a nebulous other to reassure myself

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
in my opinion, they are less than human. i'm insanely progressive.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
i love how instead of addressing any of the specific cases mentioned in the op people are just beating up some imaginary conservative they thought up who is a real jerk, it takes a strong mind to outwit a strawman imo

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
i feel that if you just surround yourself with people that agree with you then your mind because mushy and you develop an overinflated sense of your own intelligence and a hilarious lack of self awareness

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah I am talking about the US.

I can't speak about the rest of the world, I don't know much about their cultural quirks in this case.

It was addressed, in certain isolated cases it can happen, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of any coordinated purposeful attempt at censorship.

by what criteria are these cases certain and isolated

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
i agree that it's not the same as systemic racism or w/e it's just the ripest richest poo poo i've seen all thanksgiving to see d&ders regurge up the same "conservatives always cry about free speech when no one is oppressing them" when it has gently caress all to do with the actual topic of the thread

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Are linkbaity headlines that pose edgy-sounding but actually-rhetorical questions terrible, or am I overreacting?

For content, though, I thought this thread would be about the "perception management" component of the corporatisation trend in universities: the fact that most staff have to go through the PR department to voice an opinion, the enormous and growing marketing budgets, and so on. But no. :smith:

no that sounds interesting though i would click on that thread

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
it's simply impossible the creepy masturbatory obsession with asserting your moral superiority over other people due to the inherent glorious rightness of your thoughts and inherent violent wrongness of those who disagree with you may have the unintended or heck wholly intended effect of silencing perfectly benign and acceptable behavior and speech, imo

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Who What Now posted:

And? So long as it's not the government doing the silencing it's perfectly legal.

where in the op does it make mention of government suppression of free speech because it would seem to me that while that would be a very cutting and incisive point to make in a discussion of that topic it doesn't seem like this topic is that topic and comes off as a total non sequiter when it is brought up 4 dozen times in this thread

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Ogmius815 posted:

I'll try to work on my masterbatory obsession with asserting the moral superiority of my position that people should be treated as sub humans because of their genitals or skin color or what genitals they prefer to play with.

Douche.

yeah anyone who disagrees with me is a violent racist piece of poo poo douche gently caress pice of fuckshit and i hope they die

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
there's actually a broad ideological spectrum between orthodox anime marxist and black person murdering rethuglican shitlord in my experience

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Ogmius815 posted:

This demand to have your opinions treated with respect and given hearing regardless of their actual merit is the most fundamental expression of privilege hth.

The problem is that people of color and women have traditionally been denied exact this privilege. I'm sure you'll retort with something like "but all people should have their ideas listened to! That's what I believe!" But the trouble is that existing social structures can only mean that absent special protection the voices of wealth, whiteness, and maleness will always be able to marginalize other perspectives because they have been favored by those structures. This is why "race blind" policies without special protections for minorities reinforce an existing racial hierarchy, for example.

So next time you're bitching about not being able to dominate every academic discussion remember that you don't have the right to do that and that people of color have just as much right as you to express their ideas. This can only occur if they are given special protection that you don't have.

In conclusion,this silly poo poo is similar to demanding there be a white history month. In the usa every month is white history month. So shut up and listen to what women and people of color have to say already.

wow you must have really good opinions

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
a survey of 9,000 campus staff members shows that less than 20% of them believe it's safe to hold unpopular views on campus and it is plainly obvious to anyone with a brain that they're all white supremacists and garbage people who should shut up

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Jagchosis posted:

well the view "pedophilia rules" would be unpopular to hold, should people feel safe to hold that view? it is a retarded way to frame a survey question innit

hmmmm yes that probably is what they were thinking when they were asked to think of unpopular views that may not be welcome at a college campus, they were thinking about a hypothetical scenario involving pro pedophilia guest speakers just like any reasonable person would if you were to ask them that question.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Jagchosis posted:

prolly were professors are pretty gross dude

that's fair. well debated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
in a thread about kids getting expelled for protesting a parking garage and a dude getting disciplined at work for reading a history book about the university he works for this is the first post

AmiYumi posted:

Phone-posting, but it is 100% guaranteed that what anyone who unironically says "political correctness run amok" means by free speech being under attack is "my trash Republican comments were met with anything other than fawning approval".

and then pretty much all the posts were that exact thing

where did y'all hear that first was it first brewed up on sa or did bill maher say it in a monologue to deafening applause i don't really see the poetry in it but it seems to have thrilled your spirits like the opening guitar lick to layla might to a lonely teenager in a small town in the 1970s

imo i think it's a way to inoculate oneself against introspection and load your posting guns with "ur racist" brand armor piercing debate bullets

• Locked thread