Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Do Americans just not know what the 1st Amendment is or something? I'm a dirty limey bastard but even I know the first amendment applies to government attempts to censor free speech only.

Any random Joe can tell you repeatedly to shut the gently caress up and could follow you around with the world's greatest sound system and constantly drown out all your speech for the rest of your life and he wouldn't be violating your right to free speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
How so? Unless it's the institution actively preventing people from speaking or expressing a view then it's really just a case of 'this person doesn't agree with me, my free speech!"

If a right wing student starts a debate about those uppity blacks and someone else decides he should shut the gently caress up and repeatedly tells him to do so, that is a perfectly valid use of free speech that the college has no part of.

Free speech doesn't mean you can say what you like when you like and never be challenged on it, It means you won't be sent to Gitmo for saying the wrong thing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Miltank posted:

What about when an uppity black starts a debate about systemic racism and the decent, hardworking students of the University decide that he should shut the gently caress up and repeatedly tell him to do so?

Provided they're not being abusive, they can knock themselves out!

They should probably be aware that while freedom of speech means that each expression has merit as a piece of expression that should be protected, it doesn't guarantee that said speech will be considered of any value

One side of the debate will be labelled among such illustrious bedfellows as eugenicists, white supremacists, neo-nazis, fascists, phrenologists and other quacks, and one will not.

If they can choose to live with that personal shame, more power to them!

• Locked thread