Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No it's not true of every int at all. For example, Sherman's deflection in the NFCCG last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Watching 29 go "Come on! What the gently caress!" is amazing.

I should be upset because it was a potential INT and, even worse, #29 is our best corner and has had two torn Achilles in the past, but it's loving hilarious and I can't stop laughing.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol man is that the narrative now? Sherman ran the right route, Crabtree ran the wrong one? That sounds WAY more plausible than , oh I dunno, Kaep throwing off target for the 15th time that day.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DancingMachine posted:

Eh, both Sherman INTs were bad decisions by Kaepernick, but isn't that true of every INT? He still ran the receiver's route for him in both cases, which is a pretty cool move. Kap threw to the spot the receiver was supposed to be and Sherman was there instead.
Sherman is physically pretty good, and mentally the best in the game.

No, it isn't true of every interception.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Lol man is that the narrative now? Sherman ran the right route, Crabtree ran the wrong one? That sounds WAY more plausible than , oh I dunno, Kaep throwing off target for the 15th time that day.

Nah it's not the narrative so much as people being dumb and responding to AAC's trolling.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Kaepernick is not good at his job and will be paid like a rookie because of it.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

TubeStank posted:

Nah it's not the narrative so much as people being dumb and responding to AAC's trolling.

Honest question, if AAC isn't going to eat a ban for obvious trolling, why aren't we allowed to respond to his posts sincerely or at least make fun of them?

I know we're not supposed to post about posters or some poo poo, but this is like 50% of TFF right now and it's frustrating to read.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dancing machine was who I was responding to with that latest post, he said sherman ran the route.

But yeah it's pretty clear cut he's here simply to troll but gets a pass. Happens I guess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nobody ever banned him when he was vaginal culture why would anybody ban him when he gets a new name

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Honest question, if AAC isn't going to eat a ban for obvious trolling, why aren't we allowed to respond to his posts sincerely or at least make fun of them?

I know we're not supposed to post about posters or some poo poo, but this is like 50% of TFF right now and it's frustrating to read.

If only there were some sort of ignore button one could activate to block the posts of users they didn't like instead of bitching about it.....

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Retail Slave posted:

If only there were some sort of ignore button one could activate to block the posts of users they didn't like instead of bitching about it.....

Dirt Worshipper is one of those inscrutable posters who only drops in to post about other posters' posting. He doesn't joke, he doesn't really post about the Niners. He drops in, complains, and disappears, like a really terrible batman.

On the other hand his avatar is pretty cool.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i've seen dirt worshipper post more about football than i've seen chichevache post about football

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I did not know Ryan Leaf was in jail.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dirt Worshipper posted:

AAC doesn't say anything that's too out of bounds most of the time, he's pretty good at not crossing the line but is even better at making a bunch of you lose your poo poo over someone you know is trolling saying something mean about the football team you like

It's honestly pretty hilarious to see him come in and say "Yeah Richard Sherman is the best CB in the NFL" followed by a bunch of "WHY WON'T YOU BAN THIS TROLL" replies

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

breaking into people's houses to steal their prescription drugs is a hell of a thing

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Chichevache posted:

Dirt Worshipper is one of those inscrutable posters who only drops in to post about other posters' posting. He doesn't joke, he doesn't really post about the Niners. He drops in, complains, and disappears, like a really terrible batman.

On the other hand his avatar is pretty cool.

I lurk a lot because I'm really busy with work and school. You should try lurking more.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
The discussion about DVOA and VOA after the Pats/Packers game (and its poor predictive performance over the past couple of years) caused me to look at some of their other stats for which they are somewhat more open with the formulae. The coefficients are all pretty round numbers, suggesting they came at least partially from an rear end-pull rather than analysis. Also, they do all their poo poo in Excel which is kind of lolworthy, especially given the snarky blob at the end of their weekly articles touting objective quantities uber alles. This has convinced me that their numbers aren't as useful as I had thought and that nobody on that site actually understands statistical signal processing very well, they're just pulling poo poo from a cookbook. Apologies that this wasn't about football very much. I should make my own itch-scratch moon power ranking thing over the summer.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blotto Skorzany posted:

The discussion about DVOA and VOA after the Pats/Packers game (and its poor predictive performance over the past couple of years) caused me to look at some of their other stats for which they are somewhat more open with the formulae. The coefficients are all pretty round numbers, suggesting they came at least partially from an rear end-pull rather than analysis. Also, they do all their poo poo in Excel which is kind of lolworthy, especially given the snarky blob at the end of their weekly articles touting objective quantities uber alles. This has convinced me that their numbers aren't as useful as I had thought and that nobody on that site actually understands statistical signal processing very well, they're just pulling poo poo from a cookbook. Apologies that this wasn't about football very much. I should make my own itch-scratch moon power ranking thing over the summer.

NEEEEEEEEEEEER-actually that's kinda interesting

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Listening to the guy who does these on the BS report (forget his name) he seemed like a middling IQ dullard trying to sound smart. Just throwing out words like regression etc. Of course they have to pretend its all valid to sell their product but it really is pulled from their rear end. Except when it says the Seahawks are the best then it is good science. That is a joke guys lol.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bobo the Red posted:

Jets should give him a chance

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Yeah I've soured on them over the past few years. Brian Burke's site (AdvancedNFLAnalytics) is p. solid though. I like the work he's doing over there, and it's both more rigorous in its approach and open in the methodology.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

African AIDS cum posted:

Listening to the guy who does these on the BS report (forget his name) he seemed like a middling IQ dullard trying to sound smart. Just throwing out words like regression etc. Of course they have to pretend its all valid to sell their product but it really is pulled from their rear end. Except when it says the Seahawks are the best then it is good science. That is a joke guys lol.

Aaron Schaatz? He's a patriots homer and a retard which is why Simmons likes him so much.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Blotto Skorzany posted:

I especially like that the Patriots had a higher DVOA than the Packers in the game. It shows that it doesn't really pass the eye ball test. At no point in the game did the Patriots look like the better team, let alone over the course of the entire game if you ask me.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Plafop posted:

Aaron Schaatz? He's a patriots homer and a retard which is why Simmons likes him so much.

Yeah thats him, the most boring man to listen to in the entire world. Glad he hasn't been on recently.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alouicious posted:

breaking into people's houses to steal their prescription drugs is a hell of a thing

He was a volunteer QB coach at West Texas A&M a few years ago mainly so he could hit up the players for their drugs, dude has problems.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Aaron Schatz loving sucks

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The tide is turning on advanced stats, exposed as the fraud and lies they are, the emperor has no clothes and the eye test reigns supreme. This is a watershed moment.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

African AIDS cum posted:

The sad thing is that if you didn't include that people would probably be quoting this post to complain about your homerism. :sigh:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
My eye test really likes this no clothed emporer :greenangel:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

The tide is turning on advanced stats, exposed as the fraud and lies they are, the emperor has no clothes and the eye test reigns supreme. This is a watershed moment.

DVOA is real bad at least in it's current form but PFF's system is kind of cool cause it's literally just putting numbers to the eye test. Its definitely got problems but its a start imo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

PFF's system says that JJ Watt is on pace to be by far the best DE in history so I'm all about that

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

African AIDS cum posted:

I feel like you are being facetious, but something is wrong when the team with fewer yards, points, first downs as well as worse 3rd down efficiency and yards per play comes out ahead.

The reality is that he counts a Rodgers fumble and a muffed punt against the Packers when neither happened. He's a homer.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

PFF's system says that JJ Watt is on pace to be by far the best DE in history so I'm all about that

Watt might be the only non-QB who can win a game all by himself and I honestly can't think of who else would be on that list other than maybe a couple RBs and like maybe Revis at his peak? (definitely not sherman tho!!!!!)

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Hasn't Schatz said that he's not a statistician and that he sorta just made up the formula at the beginning and made the site in an attempt to get himself noticed? I'd imagine they refined it but for all the hoopla he spouts his stuff really didn't start as anything special and I think he got noticed because he was the only one really attempting it.

Also Schatz is a floppy wiener who constantly tries to pretend he's not a homer on twitter

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
JJ Watt is underpaid.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

I feel like you are being facetious, but something is wrong when the team with fewer yards, points, first downs as well as worse 3rd down efficiency and yards per play comes out ahead.

The reality is that he counts a Rodgers fumble and a muffed punt against the Packers when neither happened. He's a homer.

No its genuine, it seemed for a while everyone was cooking up formulas trying to be the next moneyball and they'd get together and jerk each other off at the sloan conference while employing very little academic rigor

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Watt might be the only non-QB who can win a game all by himself and I honestly can't think of who else would be on that list other than maybe a couple RBs and like maybe Revis at his peak? (definitely not sherman tho!!!!!)
Reported.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

DVOA is real bad at least in it's current form but PFF's system is kind of cool cause it's literally just putting numbers to the eye test. Its definitely got problems but its a start imo

Sherman actually won the game against the Packers this very year.

:ssh:The Packers beat themselves through bad coaching and a fear of Sherman, but I'm still giving him credit even though he literally didn't do a thing all game.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Leon Einstein posted:

What type of not happened are we talkin about here

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

You guys missed the glory days of Hero of the Revolution posting about Brandon Meriweather and DVOA being basically his only leg to stand on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

It's impossible to make predictive teamwide football advanced stats because with the level of detail and nuance needed it would take way too much time to be profitable so no one will ever do it

• Locked thread