Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'd do drugs with him.

I agree. This one in particular reminds me of one of my own efforts:
The Undecided 18 by Execudork, on Flickr

There's something strangely appealing about shooting through dirty glass when you're good and drunk.

\/\/\/ I just read that whole thing out loud, with a pretentious accent, to my GF and she yelled "STOP" and threw things at me. ART!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

try it with a lime posted:

if it spares me any more status updates of baby and kid photos autoplay videos, i'm on board

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

try it with a lime posted:

Everyone is stupid

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've never heard an image like that before.

PEW PEW WHOOSH POW PEW ZAP WHOOOOOOOSH!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

The secret is to stop using flickr. They're pretty good with the actual image hosting part of their job but the community blows rear end.

This is pretty much how I use flickr. I'm way too lazy to do anything else with the 9000+ images (yes, all are crap) I've got up there, and other than checking my stats a couple of times a month and favouriting-then-forgetting pictures from other Dorkroomers, I don't use any part of the flickr "community". Yahoo bought flickr with the express purpose of turning it into an image-based social network site, despite the fact that Facebook 1) exists and 2) hosts more photos than all other image-hosting sites on the internet combined.

There are lots of ways to use flickr, but they all boil down to two key features, which any half-decent image hosting site should have by default: you can put up a picture in a place you can find it again, and you can write stuff underneath your picture, including links and other basic features of internet-ness. Some people toss a few thousand photos up and then paste links into other places (like me, posting my stuff in the Dorkroom and to my blog or facebook). Some people put up a small number of photos and write essays to go with them. And some people try to turn the weak community on flickr into their own little fetish-dungeon, and endlessly browse for pictures of animal anuses.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mido posted:

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2015/12/01/flickrs-top-25-photos-in-2015/

guys the 25 best photos of 2015 have been chosen!!!!! by the best photographers of course

The Game by Max Gor, on Flickr

Is that the photographer in the reflection in the window? Where did this idea come from that you have to be looking away from your camera and away from what you're shooting in order to make a great shot? lovely "amazing!!11!!!!1!" photos and making-of-lovely-amazing-photos series often seem to show this.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mido posted:

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2015/12/01/flickrs-top-25-photos-in-2015/

guys the 25 best photos of 2015 have been chosen!!!!! by the best photographers of course

The Game by Max Gor, on Flickr

The guy who took this photo, Max Gor, favourited one of the photos I put up last night. It currently has 16 views.

:tinfoil: The Best Photographer is inside the thread!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

feigning interest posted:

Fav a stranger's work and they most likely will at least look at your work out of curiosity and may even reciprocate the action (like/follow/comment) out of simple politeness.
Absolutely. I only recognized who it was who had favourited one of the 27 photos I uploaded today after I clicked on his name under my photo and browsed through his photostream; that winning photo had something more than 235 000 views as of this morning. I've done this almost every time one of my photos has been favourited (or commented on, or who has started following me) by somebody I don't know, and typically I find something I like of theirs and reciprocate. When you do that, Flickr takes you first to the person's Favourites, not their photostream, and in this case I was mildly surprised to not see my picture on that page. As you pointed out, he's favouriting a ton of pictures, so mine dropped off the first page of his favourites fairly quickly.

Optimistic view: this guy is a lurker around here, and happens to like what Dorkroomers are doing.
That's not necessarily mutually-exclusive with the idea (well supported by evidence at this point) that he's trolling for reciprocal, asymmetrical popularity.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A good portion of what was in that old mock thread were momtographers. Stay-at-home mothers with children newly at school who suddenly have some free time, so they sell their photography services to their friends who are in similar situations. My guess is all of them eventually claimed to "not have time for it" anymore.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Basset hounds look they're melting n real life, why would somebody blather liquid-effect filters all over pictures of them? :psyduck:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I am hopelessly nerdy and easily amused, so I searched a M:tG database for cards Noah Bradley was the artist for.
Your Amusement May Vary:

Drown in Sorrow
Fade into Antiquity
Forgotten Cave
Pinnacle of Rage
Spelltwine ("Spell Whine")

Art school gives you more than just skills, though, right? Like, a decent art school degree should come with contacts and a pile of "soft skills" that will help you land a decent job or set up yourself as a freelancer, I expect.

I found that Medium article (aside: Medium is such a crapshoot. Some good stuff there, buried under mountains of shyte) and Noah Bradley's Art Camp.

quote:

Will my work be critiqued?

Art Camp is not currently being offered as a live course. I'd recommend joining online communities on Facebook to find like-minded artists who would be happy to share their critiques.
Also, Wikipedia says he's quite the famous Redditor. That counts as a negative, to me.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

akadajet posted:

except he did it for the exposure

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

It appears to apart of something called "dollfie", I refuse to investigate further :catstare:

It's not so bad
紅葉の永觀堂 by Cloud Liu, on Flickr

Or, OK, yes, it is so bad
Volks DD DDH 06- 小唯 by Cloud Liu, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My favourite is the one of the groom facing away from the camera, pissing against that tree.

The groom's hair isn't really the photog's fault, but slapping that big watermark all over the photos that are out-of-focus or show one or both of the people with a dumb look on their faces is entirely the photog's fault.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
If I understand it, his plan is
1. Go to Big Bend National Park, ready to shoot photos but without a camera.
2. Get money to rent a truckload of gear ($4000 to rent everything for a week - he's going to buy nothing).
3. Shoot photos, make them into greeting cards and similar products
4. Sell these items to the same people who already gave him money - they get a small discount! On something he has full control over the price.

I can't fault him for lack of ambition. And I appreciate every opportunity I get to laugh at a completely delusional business plan.

EDIT

That loving Guy Again posted:

After weeks of trial and error, I have completed the website so I can start selling the Christmas and holiday cards. It has taken me several hours to work on this. I have tried different ecommerce systems, web hosting providers, and USPS mailing plugins. I picked just the ones and I have the credit card processor installed.
He's worked on this for several hours, guys, give him a chance! He's clearly trying as hard as he can!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 8, 2016

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
OK, now I REALLY WANT this guy to track his spike in website traffic back to this thread, throw $10 at Lowtax, and come in here swinging.

Then we can give him that as his AV. And put that text under it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A photograph of a person captures a piece of that person's soul.

Therefore

Deleting a photo from a memory card deletes a piece of a person's soul, you soulless monster

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Well if you want to shoot wide but are a pleb who doesn't own two bodies, why not whip out an iPhone? Saves you fussing with lenses and maybe missing some action while rooting in your bag.

I wouldn't do it, but I can see the thinking.

That gopro though.. that's another level.

The gopro wasn't running. He had the setup ready to go for his end-of-parade BASE jump from the Snoopy balloon onto the float with the paper-mache Statue of Liberty on it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

unpacked robinhood posted:

This guy looks like he has gigantic rear end/thighs

Agreed - he has healthy child-bearing hips. That should have no effect on his abilities as a photographer, so it's just a weird bonus for our point-and-laugh enjoyment.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's a good point. He's working in a series of short-term partnerships, not just contracts - each partner supplies something and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's all about the T&A here.

She provides the T, he provides the A

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The funniest part of that (too me) is that Polaroid made 135 format film, regular black-and-white stuff not self-developing, and I can believe somebody finding an old Polaroid camera and a pile of 135 Polaroid film and tossing them on Craigslist / local equivalent. But Ilford isn't even close.

Go for it, Ilford makes good film and hey, free paperweight!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
As a Pentax owner I have long been confused by the way my camera twitches in my hands whenever I am near a half-naked woman holding a gun - this happens more than you might think! Finally, an answer! Thank you!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm too lazy to check, but does Facebook actually exert rights on the pictures you upload to Facebook?

Also has anyone seen an actual critical comment on Flickr?
I've got a comment on one of my pictures politely telling me I've misidentified the bird in the picture. That's about as close as they come.

Well, that and the clearly-written-with-one-hand comments under every picture ever on Flickr showing an animal's anus. Those are "critical" in a certain kind of way. I re-examined some of my life choices after I got followed by that guy.

EDIT: timely! I just paid my annual dues for my "Professional" account on Flickr. It's automatic billing so unless I'm really on the ball in the first week of March it just goes through. Whatever. I like having unlimited photostorage space.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm more impressed by the way that photo fits a narrative of "chaos in the oval office". Never mind the physical appearance of the people, it's the action and the facial expressions that draws me in. It's a picture of anarchy, an rear end in a top hat boss yelling shittiness at his subordinate while another hapless minion looks on in shock.

How the gently caress did that get past the press office?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That, and the cultural taboo against talking about money with actual numbers.

:v:"So, about how much do you charge for a day-long product shot?"
:)"Oh, I charge the going rate, pretty close to the average. I think it's fair and my clients do, too"
:v:"OK, but how much is that?"
:)"It depends. Sometimes it's more, because, you know, I have to hire an assistant, or they have a really tight deadline"
:v:"OK, but how much? Like, dollars?"
:)"It can seem like a lot, at first, yeah"
:v:"$10? $100? $1000... stop me when I get close"
:)"$10? What? No. More than that."

:suicide:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's at least one other Dorkroom goon who, like me, has had at least one photo that includes an animal's backside favourited by one particular animal-anus-obsessed lunatic.

His* flickr is amazing. No photos by him, just a very long list of favourites, each and every one a shot that includes the anus of an animal, somewhere in frame.

* I don't know this person, but I feel very confident in assuming his gender.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

I have a story

This is great. Please keep meeting up with this guy, I love the stories.

I'm particularly amused by the bit about an hour of your life you won't get back trying to explain the concept of "trains".

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

When my wife and I are on vacation and we're done for the day I'll turn on wifi on the camera and connect her phone to it, have her rate any pictures she likes with stars.

You are a brave man. Full-bore, no filter, stream-of-consciousness critique DIRECTLY from the love of your life, at the end of the day on vacation. I am in awe.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's so much going on in that photo! Besides the microphones, there's the pained expression on the soldier's face, the perspective-shrunk tiny woman, the dropped phone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Every one of those photos is bad, but every one of them would make a good album cover for the right music. Just slap some stupid font and a stupider band name all over them.