Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Oh god I found someone on Instagram using Capture One to do selective color on pedestrian facebook photography. I should report this to Phase One, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

You guys. I've found the best photographer.

It started with a run of the mill craigslist post.

Generic, run of the mill entitled idiot baby post. But then I clicked on the website link.

Guys, he's an Emmy Award Winning Director And Photographer.

and liberally sprinkles Silicon Valley meaningless jargon into his writing. And has that weird life-coach-who-is-robbing-you-blind tone.

But he's an EMMY AWARD WINNER. He must have some serious Directing and Photography (cinematography) chops, right?

That's right, ten years ago he had some unknown amount of involvement in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgvTgV5EoGY&t=120s

This is all the qualification needed to call yourself an :smug:Emmy Award Winning Director And Photographer:smug::

Look at all those Emmy Award Winners! So by extension, everyone working at Blizzard is an Emmy Award Winner. The unpaid intern driving the dailies over to South Park Studios is an Emmy Award Winner.

And of course an IMDB page that he definitely did not make himself:

:fuckoff:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

His fetish is findom through buying cameras.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

theHUNGERian posted:

The cpu5555 redditor saga reminds me of the scene from "Disaster Artist" where against the advice of the pros, Tommy Wiseau wants to buy film equipment rather than rent it.

Pro: Alright, fine, whatever. Film or digital?
Tommy Wiseau: Both.

A gem of a movie about another gem of a movie if you haven't seen either.

I think this is my favorite trivia from The Room, he wasn't sure if film would be obsolete by the time they finished production, so he had the crew shoot on film and digital simultaneously. Incredible.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yeah, I want the gig purely just to put in the bare minimum effort and have fun with it. I think you can apply at the White House website too.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Flickr is also great if you're considering buying a lens or camera. There is a 100% chance that some rich guy owns the exact thing you're looking for and has taken pictures of flowers or cats in his backyard so you can compare it to your current setup.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

without fail, no matter how lovely a photographer is, there's some rube who wants to work for them for free.

quote:

Got you. Do you take apprentices with you to go shooting? I have a shoot set up in Minneapolis with another photographer and am looking for more to go shoot with.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

‘I won’t be as quick and nimble’ ...to take boring, crooked pictures of cafe chairs on the street, I would assume.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

pwn posted:

I had a Canon FF setup but was tired of lugging around all that gear. I ditched it for a Fuji mirrorless APS-C getup and filled up several bags with those lenses. Now, inexplicably, I’m going balls-deep into MF.

I just love that his travel kit is minimum 4 lenses no matter what.

Meanwhile I only brought a x100t to a weeklong trip to London and got great photos out of it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

Most of the sponsored photos I get are really ads for their business, they want bookings, not likes.

Yeah, more eyeballs = better chance for paid work. But I work in a small niche of sports photography so it does me no good if ig shows my promoted posts to normal people.

I also get the ‘this photo is doing better than 90% of your posts’ message for every post. It’s meaningless :v:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ReverendHammer posted:

I've got a really odd question and I figured this thread would be a good place to ask. Though I will admit this is probably best directed to those who do more portrait work.

If you have people you work with on a regular basis do you ever show them mediocre to downright awful pics posted by others and ask them to pull out what exactly is wrong with them? Not to make fun of whoever actually posted the photo... but how to make it better. I work with a regular group of people and I've found that to be a good exercise especially so they understand why I do things the way I do. I'm not perfect by any means (and I very specifically ask them to call out any issues in the stuff we do). It just seems like we all learn something from doing this. And I was just curious if anyone else actually does it.

It's good to find a group to constructively criticize each other's work. I do this with a couple of trusted friends, we get together every month or so with a few prints and critique each other's work. Criticizing strangers is also cool, there was a lovely photographer thread a few years ago that got pretty wild. DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS
It's good to find a trusted group to poo poo on terrible photographers and critique your own work. Being able to describe and pinpoint what makes a photo bad will help you to avoid mistakes in the future.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Isn't that literally this thread?

Look into your heart, friend.