Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't want to shell out the money for 4 right now unless it's a large leap in quality (and i don't just mean the sprites)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot
from 3, yes, from anything else not really. its fun but it's definitely just more disgaea.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Disgaea D2 is probably a better purchase than Disgaea 3 or 4.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

i've been playing disgaea 3 on vita which has me in the mood to go get my psp and play disgaea 2 instead

edit: or 1

Disgaea 2 PSP is the best game of the franchise, functionally, but Disgaea 1 has the best writing and characters. Either way 3 is beyond worthless in comparison.

Can we even count how many incredibly obnoxious characters Vic Mignogna has voiced?

E: I haven't played D2 but that one might be all the best bits of Disgaea PSP and Disgaea 2 PSP combined.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Taint Reaper posted:

let me just install this on my vita oh

also yeah mao being voiced by gilbert gottfried would have been a welcome change, he's unbearable. is it just the story of 3 that's bad? I just beat up a bunch of maos that yelled (in a poorly sampled, too loud voice) about hot sauce

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Goat posted:

also yeah mao being voiced by gilbert gottfried would have been a welcome change, he's unbearable. is it just the story of 3 that's bad? I just beat up a bunch of maos that yelled (in a poorly sampled, too loud voice) about hot sauce

I thought D2 allowed crossplay, but I guess it doesn't.

That's pretty strange because NIS usually whores out every single installment and that one has been left untouched.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

honestly disgaea was a big factor in this purchase. i only played the DS port of the first one but i wanted to get back into anime grid games.

also a good chance to play phantom brave, since i never managed to finish the drat thing on ps2

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot
phantom brave is good.

Doctor Goat posted:

pretty much. i thought it was really unfunny and boring and that bled over into the battles. the unique characters were obnoxious and i just kinda shelved the game. there's some of the same in 4 but it hasn't been enough to make me hate it yet.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i'm just making a nis thread

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I have the white one.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i think vita has a ys game that is't on steam buut idk for sure.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

mysterious loyall X posted:

i think it's a remake of 4 done like 7 but i'm too lazy to look it up, and it is more fun to try to pull from my broke memory

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

It indeed does and the box it comes in is the size of a dictionary.

The remake of 4 was on the PSP, this one is brand new everything.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I have it. It's good, even though the story is mid-90's Genesis RPG level trash. The combat system is fast and fun, and they stole that thing from Bayonetta where dodging an attack right before it would've hit you makes time slow down so you can crush everything. It's definitely worth a buy if you have a Vita, since I think it's sub-$20 now.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

It does; its name is Ys: Memories of Celceta and it is good

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
protip: The "ps" in "ps vita" doesn't stand for "playstation"

it stands for "portable spelunky"

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

protip: The "ps" in "ps vita" doesn't stand for "playstation"

it stands for "portable spelunky"

this is pretty well dead on accurate and i'm not exactly sure why it doesn't actually come with spelunky

also you can play a good version of sonic rear end racing transformed on vita, the 3ds version is choppy and the phone version is a freemium mess

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
PSA also in binding of isaac thread: back up your entire game on pc before deleting it or it deletes your saves because somehow the thing is worse tthan a psp featurewise

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Doctor Goat posted:

PSA also in binding of isaac thread: back up your entire game on pc before deleting it or it deletes your saves because somehow the thing is worse tthan a psp featurewise

if you have ps+ you can also back up your saves to that

hacked saves were a big fear so they are kinda locked down on vita

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
this month's free ps+ games are titan attacks which is some sort of retro shooter that sounds bad, and a game that sounds like it's not very fun that's an "rts tower defense"

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

titan attacks is the best space invaders-like i've played and gets p hard, so if that's anything you're into it's cool

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Is there a way to tell if a Vita is the new/old one? a serial number thing maybe?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

neurotech posted:

Is there a way to tell if a Vita is the new/old one? a serial number thing maybe?

The build number for the old one is PSV-1000, the new ones are PSV-2000. Everything from the Borderlands bundle onwards has been the 2000.

Also, the 2000 has circle start and select buttons instead of oval ones like the 1000, and the speaker holes are in a hexagon shape on the 2000 instead of a rectangle like the 1000.

e: Sony logo is above the screen on the 2000 as opposed to above the d-pad on the 1000

2000 overall just feels like a cheap Chinese knockoff of the actual Vita. It's way lighter and it's hard to overstate how much the matte material feels like poo poo on your hands compared to the glossy surface of the 1000. It's seriously just Sony wanting to manufacture the Vita with the cheapest parts possible since they don't have the balls to outright kill it off yet.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 1, 2014

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
glossy looks like poo poo though

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Looper posted:

glossy looks like poo poo though

matte looks like poo poo

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot
Gloss looks like poo poo, but so does the screen mura. It's still better than the 2k.

Oh and there's a way to save just the savedata of vita games to your computer, but I don't remember how.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
ive owned my vita for a year now.

in that time my ps+ sub has given me games, it came with 8 games, and last month it got binding of isaac rebirth for free.

to me, it is the perfect handheld for twin stick shooter type games. the layout of everything loving rocks.

BOI is for me the system seller. playing it on the train around london makes the journey so drat fast

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The things I have enjoyed most on my Vita were replaying old PS1 games, playing PSP stuff I missed like MGS Peacewalker, Persona 4 Golden, FFX/2 HD, and a lot of Indie games like Spelunky and Hotline MIami

In case you didn't notice these are all games that exist somewhere else

It's actually really cool having portable versions of them and I never woul dhave played through FFX again if it wasn't portable but you have to decide if that's worth the money for you

And it's getting Hatoful Boyfriend sooooo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It does; its name is Ys: Memories of Celceta and it is good

Ys is the one Vita game exclusive that I thought was really good yeah. Even that is a remake lol but it's a complete remake, not something like the JRPGs that are the same game and get different content. Wipeout was good but I think the PS3 one was better, and that dev is gone now anyway

I thought it would be a good system for JRPGs but the good ones actually come out on 3DS these days, the only JRPGs on vita are all ports or 5th rate garbage that never used to get translated

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

Console Disgaea is inherently inferior to portable disgaea tho

And yeah I liked D3Vita a lot even if it's the worst game but then I played D4Vita and even though it's "better" in every way it's like... this is the same thing again. I haven't even played one of them since 3, I skipped 4 waiting for the Vita version and never played D2. I think I'm done with Disgaea

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tearaway was cool as hell

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

If you own PS3 Wipeout you get all of that content for free in Vita Wipeout, which is insanely cool.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
the vita has Soul Sacrifice and Gravity Rush, which are extremely good games.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
vita games on sale for black friday/cyber monday:

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Not true, I got Freedom Wars for $15 this morning on Amazon. Keep an eye on their lightning deals

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i think psn has plenty of good deals on vita games, just not right now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i got the new vita and it is still cool. it is light and the battery lasts forever in the nyko grip/battery thing they made for it that's pretty comfy.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Real hurthling! posted:

i got the new vita and it is still cool. it is light and the battery lasts forever in the nyko grip/battery thing they made for it that's pretty comfy.

how well made does it feel because this thing seems like a very good thing to have when I am not just carrying the vita in a pocket

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Goat posted:

how well made does it feel because this thing seems like a very good thing to have when I am not just carrying the vita in a pocket

its got the same matte finish people complain about but it makes the slim feel much better in your hands especially when it comes to using the back touchpad without accidental contact or finger contortions. the only bummer is you have to pop it off to swap games but i only own 1 physical game so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i have a bunch of physical games because the vita memory card is tiny, and made of unicorn tears. i have a 16g one on the way but soul sacifice and ffx-2 filled my 8gb card completely

• Locked thread