Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I have a whole bunch of files from my parents old SE/30 that ive been transferring from machine to machine since the 80s

the ones ive been able to check (p much only hypercard in vmac & pict files in graphicconverter) have had intact resource forks, and they are all right now on a hfs+ drive so all that should hopefully still be good, though not very future-proof

theres a whole bunch of files that are made with i think maybe MacWrite II or MacWrite Pro II? something like that. ive googled around and some time ago i found a lovely perl library that could extract text, except its p much as effective as running strings on the combined data & resource forks and just loving around with that until it reads as you remember

however a bunch of them have embedded pictures, so extracting the text only isnt optimal

how do yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
punt that trash into the garbage can you little horder bitch

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rude

for sure some if it is like little stories my sister wrote when she was learning to write, that can safely be deleted, but there are also important things like a job applications that my dad considered sending off but never did which are important!!!

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
sheepshaver and an old copy of clarisworks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nice, clarisworks reads those?

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i think you will need version 5 or older so good luck

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
you'll probably find that you'll have to do more "reconstructing" of your files than converting though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fax Sender posted:

you'll probably find that you'll have to do more "reconstructing" of your files than converting though

as long as i can pull out the pict resources and the text in more or less intact parts, layout is secondary

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i keep all my job applications in a scrapbook OP

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the scrapbook in os 7 was pretty ownage

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i used to use a mac program called "file juicer" have you tried that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i used to use a mac program called "file juicer" have you tried that

wish we could juice you're posts

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

as long as i can pull out the pict resources and the text in more or less intact parts, layout is secondary

Wish your parents had pulled out

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

just buy this thing and keep the files on it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
use basilisk ii and system 7. the actual programs the files were written with are very easy to find

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if u purchased or used any mac b4 the intel switch its indicitive of an extremely broken cognitive process and fatal levels of fail, OP. i suiggest you get your final affairs in order as the reaper surely cometh

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i don't need this but it is within driving distance.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

:smith:

Smythe posted:

if u purchased or used any mac b4 the intel switch its indicitive of an extremely broken cognitive process and fatal levels of fail, OP. i suiggest you get your final affairs in order as the reaper surely cometh

risc is good

cisc is bad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mac os 9 looked better than windows 98

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

Don Lapre posted:

Wish your parents had pulled out

*leans back deeply into eames lounger and lights pipe*

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

carry on then posted:

system 7 looked better than windows 98

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
os 9 is the cleanest looking os and i have never encountered a snappier os since

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Smythe posted:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Fax Sender posted:

os 9 is the cleanest looking os and i have never encountered a snappier os since

lol

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

nemesis

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:chord:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

pram posted:

*leans back deeply into eames lounger and lights pipe*

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao greenpos

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

the gun is good

the penis is evil

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Snapchat A Titty posted:

theres a whole bunch of files that are made with i think maybe MacWrite II or MacWrite Pro II? something like that.

I'm pretty sure there were (DataViz? not sure) converters for lots of these formats available that would work with File Exchange on MacOS 9 or earlier, so you could try to open them in another app on that OS and see if they convert to its format, then export or convert on save to something like RTF.

even Microsoft Word compatibility isn't forever, Word 5.1 for Mac (or earlier) documents evidently can't be opened with modern word on any platform. but RTF has been stable for decades at this point, and might even be able to include your images. (or you'll be able to extract them at the same time you export/save as RTF, and convert them to something else)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

this was the state of the art.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
the best way of getting them to a time-stable format would probably be to get them into clarisworks (probably 4) then from there into a version that can print to PDF (probably appleworks under PPC OS X)

if you need any help setting up VMs or anything let me know and I should be able to help as I have most of these softwares somewhere or another

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i had a g4 powerbook op

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I had a 12" powerbook.

There still has been no laptop to top it.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

this was the state of the art.

Don Lapre posted:

I had a 12" powerbook.

a true post

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Don Lapre posted:

I had a 12" powerbook.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Fax Sender posted:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i have never owned a laptop

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

theadder posted:

i have never owned a laptop

itym a portable or notebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
upload the files somewhere i'm sure we can reverse engineer it with the power of teamwork

• Locked thread