Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You will lose out on market gains. Never take loans from your retirement. Don't be a poor American.

Buying a car requires cash. Pay cash for cars. If you only have 5k cash to put down on a car, you need to buy a 5k car. If you only have 1k, guess what, you need a 1k car.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Apples to apples, any loan I take is being paid back with post tax dollars, and I'm not too concerned with the productivity of my account; it is still growing at 2% interest, and although I forego higher gains, I'm insulated from loss.

At 2% anyway, the "don't finance" adage seems to lose its power: $300 interest a year over 5 years ain't poo poo when you make $58/hr.
You make ~120k and you can't afford a car? That's too funny.

I would surely go with a bank note if you can't cash flow it. You're losing market gains and paying a higher rate that you would get from a bank. Unless you have horrid credit, which I guess could be a fair assumption based on being flat broke and making 120k/yr+...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

"yes, let me sell stocks instead of paying sub-2% APR" said no one ever
If you are too broke to pay cash, you can't afford it. Period. Either liquidate money or buy something you can afford.

And you ARE selling stocks to take a sub-2% loan by doing this. While you could do the same with a credit union, and NOT sell your stocks. But that doesn't change the fact that you can't afford the car and should save up for it. Its just a car, and its ~12% of your salary. That should be pretty easy to cover with cash.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 1, 2014

• Locked thread