Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

I'd call it Terra

Seconding this option, It's a good name for such a solid little buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm really enjoying how all these little tidbits bring a smile to the face of anyone who has some coding background. From "Hello World" to Ping() being usable to speed up your movement.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Much appreciated! I enjoyed the sandbox modes for being little things much like the dreams in Bastion, but I'm very curious about people's reaction to the story, especially as we move into more of the meat of it in future updates.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This area is possibly my favorite. Lots of little world building moments, your "guide" is out of commission, and possibly my favorite moment. Red's not a damsel in distress, she's got murder in her eyes and will break yours if you get in her way. It's beautiful that little moment between them both on the terminal.

I'll agree that the Spine fight is not very fun, but I feel that the little journey you take after you defeat it is an artistic feast for the eyes. Plus, "Old Friends" is my favorite song in the game. There's a reason I have the trailer saved on my YouTube page.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
And here's where poo poo hits the fan, before it becomes turned into a white cube that tries to kill you. I believe those were smaller versions of The Spine jumping around at the beginning of the flight sequence, which raised my eyebrow the first time I went thought it.

Also, I love how the battle summary screen labels our boss battle for this part: Cowards indeed, who left a mess and then left without cleaning it up. But why? I'm still a little confused on that part, even with all the exposition at the end of the game.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

He could have been the Big Bad of another game, one where the the Process are kept under the Camarata's control and Grant wields the Transistor. It seems he had quite the magnetic personality, and was the driver of the creation of the Camarata in the first place. But this is not that game. Grant completely fell apart when he lost the Transistor, and the Camarata crumbled around him.

It does seem to be an exercise in the folly of hubris. Like Icarus, he found he could fly, and went so high that he crashed hard. I did like that little moment of realization though when I walked in. "Grant needs me" indeed.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The battles always feel like a puzzle, so loading it your own way is a-ok! Once we get all the programs, I'll end up posting my favorite combo of death. :getin: is a pretty apt description

I do appreciate you showing off all the limiters though, will you be mixing and matching them once they're all unlocked, or keeping them all on at once.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Listening to The Transistor is kinda heartbreaking. :smith:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What four Functions define Red?
Crash(), Breach(), Load(), Spark()
Disruptive, Reliable. Extensive, Penetrating. Explosive, Area-effect, Chaotic, Splitting
Red is a spirit of change in a city that's always changing. Her talents, while originally focused upon civic planning, turned from shaping a city into shaping and changing people. Her music could do what The Process cannot, and what the Camerata wished to do by force: Shape the soul of a city.

What four Functions define the Transistor?
Help(), Flood(), Tap(), Void()
Transformative, Auspicious, Obstructive, Lingering, Regenerative, Leeching, Amplifying, Depressive
The Transistor itself is a tool, useful for changing and remaking a city into something better and far more grand than the whims of the city's users. The Camerata saw that the whimsy of the citizens could not create a lasting dream, nor one that would provide inspiration and appreciation, and took it upon themselves to shape the future of their city. The Transistor would be their hammer, to build that future, and to destroy anything that stood in their way.

What four Functions define Cloudbank?
Ping(), Switch(), Bounce(), Jaunt()
Hypnotic, Double-crossing, Rapid, Efficient, Chain-reactive, Deflecting, Evasive, Immediate
Cloundbank is a city of dreams. But it’s a dream no matter how far you go; I can never reach reality, trapped in an endless nightmare. The whims of a city, always changing, can hold no weight, and support no future. When everything changes, nothing changes.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
And so we've come to the end. I'll be waiting for your last episode Olive Branch, but I'm curious what you thought was the story that this game was to tell.

I came expecting a noir film, with a dash of technology. I don't think I was wrong in what I got, but it wasn't what I expected.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah, a beautiful game with a story that was just too ethereal to be good.

In the end, we find out that rather than being the main character, we've been The Transistor, someone who is along for the ride, but never in charge of where we were going, and what we were going to do. Red decides at the end what she wanted, and that was to be with the man she loved, even if it meant going to The Country.

I kind of want a sequel to this game, something where we hear about the event that happened, but gives us much more world building and explanations for what this place is like. But I think Red's story is done, and it's as good as we're going to get without ruining it.

Thanks for the ride Olive Branch, and I'll see you in The Country, or the next LP, whichever comes first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of scenes from the trailer I'd love as a background. the artwork for this game is just beautiful, I love that mixture of tech & 20s feel.

• Locked thread