Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Goon API posted:

Block the virginm.net caches, it will fall back to the generic YouTube servers

For virgin specifically, as far as I can tell, has not been possible for about 3 years. It used to be possible but since then they're moved to a transparent reverse proxy. On the plus side, the Leeds-based reverse proxy has had capacity to spare for about a year now, so no more buffering for me. They do have a couple of other data centres though, not sure what their status is. Regardless, if you connect to the Leeds centre and are getting buffering, it's likely a local contention issue. Not even a VPN will fix that.

They say they actively monitor local congestion and upgrade it without being asked, but I have my doubts - I never see my full connection speed even to nodes on virgin's internal network.

To the OP, routing and available bandwidth is not as simple as you think it is due to peering agreements. It might not even be YouTube or your ISPs fault, technically. Of course switching ISPs might still solve the issue. The official way to deal with this is to talk to your ISP and the provider, they both have a vested interest in everything working. They will likely need to talk to each other to resolve the issue. Unofficially, they will be quick to blame the other party and dismissive of each other's evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread