Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Procedurally Generated Survival Games, like Rust, The Forest, and uh... a bunch of others now exist in some state of intermediate assembly and while I like the concept that they're aiming for, are any of them yet worth playing?

I wouldn't know because I'm not one to risk biting down on a poo poo sandwich but maybe one of you risked it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
No.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Have you played them all? :colbert:

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Must have bought 3 of these loving things since they never fail to hit #1 best sellers on steam, they're all exactly as terrible as you imagine

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

StabMasterArson posted:

Must have bought 3 of these loving things since they never fail to hit #1 best sellers on steam, they're all exactly as terrible as you imagine

lol

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

if you want to do horrible things so you can eat every night, barely scraping by as you fear for your worthless life, just move out of your parents house

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

having done this i can tell you its about as fun as it sounds

but really just by law of averages you'd think one of these had managed to be fun by now

lets see what a sampling of steam reviews thinks

quote:

[...] I met some other people that were enslaved then we tryed to over take them but our small militia dident stand a chance against them and they re-enslaved us and this time made us "take off your trousers" then we worked for them for the rest of eternity.

Hmm virtual slavery, seems promising! But for the sake of being both fair and balanced

quote:

You will spend 20 hours building, gathering.
In 5 mins someone will ruin all your work.
Always and with anyone.

No surprises there! Any other gems for us steam reviews?

quote:

♥♥♥♥ early access games. Early access is a scam and anyone itching to buy into early access games should not do it, even if the games cycle is at a low point, which I think is what spawned this abomination in the first place.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
early access games like those remind me of the "total overhaul" mod projects that would disappoint me as a childe. they might stop development on them someday but most are never gonna be "finished". also playing a game from alpha and waiting on incremental improvements to come out sucks anyway. ignore early access with me, all.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

archerb posted:

early access games like those remind me of the "total overhaul" mod projects that would disappoint me as a childe. they might stop development on them someday but most are never gonna be "finished". also playing a game from alpha and waiting on incremental improvements to come out sucks anyway. ignore early access with me, all.
i agree. theres a lot of cool ideas and as a kid you always imagine these totally intractable survival games like: WHAT IF I CAN STEAL EVERYTHING AND FORT UP IN A COSTCO?? COOL! But they're always half baked and never gunna be fully finished.

that said OP, i (probably stupidly) picked up 7 Days to Die since a friend was begging me to play and it's not... entirely bad. it has a lot of things that are already implented and work pretty well (destructabile terrain, almost everything can be broken down and used for something like you would expect it to do, decent thirst/hunger/health/stamina system that isn't frustrating or boring work, and building forts or underground bases are pretty rad).

but holy mother of god, the hitboxes and actual combat in this is atrocious. if they ever can get it so enemies react to getting hit, don't lag like poo poo and hit you even though you're several feet apart, then it would be a pretty fun game.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
i have a friend whos still carrying a torch for day z. he bought me a copy a few weeks ago so i could see how much it had improved since the free mod days, i guess.. we ran around doing nothing for three hours just like we did in the free mod. i felt bad but i had to tell him that the game was terrible and there was still nothing to do in it. this same friend bought whatever $50 option that super-scam day z ripoff had. early access must be stopped.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

Procedurally Generated Survival Games, like Rust, The Forest, and uh... a bunch of others now exist in some state of intermediate assembly and while I like the concept that they're aiming for, are any of them yet worth playing?

I wouldn't know because I'm not one to risk biting down on a poo poo sandwich but maybe one of you risked it?

The forest is awesome!! :megadeath:

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I really wanted to play Rust but it's Early Access and if it ever comes out it will be dead by then.

I'm pretty interested in The Long Dark and Firewatch too but they're not quite the same.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I bought Starforge for some stupid reason and it's a completely unfinished and poorly explained pile of poo poo. I'm never buying another early access game, and it will forever be a mark of shame on my steam account.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I have Rust in my steam library and I do not think I ever bought it, and I don't remember it being gifted to me.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

sounds fairly gay

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i preordered starbound and that game still isn't done apparently and i regret buying it.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
It's very survival-lite, but you might want to check out Sir, You Are Being Hunted.

sharrrk posted:

i preordered starbound and that game still isn't done apparently and i regret buying it.

same. i'm dumb.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Schnedwob posted:

It's very survival-lite, but you might want to check out Sir, You Are Being Hunted.
that game is done + fun so it doesn't belong in this thread, which is for not-done + unfun games

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

sharrrk posted:

i dont regret it

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
just f*reaking play minecraft, op

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
usually when I buy a bad game i'm just like whoops lol

but there was one game that made me angry about the fact that it was such a piece of poo poo.

a valley without wind

I thought it was going to be like Actraiser and I was hyped as hell but it was the biggest pile of garbage I've ever played in my life

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Terraria turned out to be pretty fun.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

sharrrk posted:

This, except I was given my preorder code by a friend, for free.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

the Forest was ok i thought. i ran towards the natives on my first try cause i thought "people! oh, they can help!" and instead in some ooga-booga white man nightmare fashion, they bashed my head in

i did not run towards them again when i respawned

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Coolguye posted:

that game is done + fun so it doesn't belong in this thread, which is for not-done + unfun games

excuse me but i'm am actually looking for goodly games yes/no?

if there are games, which are also good, then i'd like to know

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

just f*reaking play minecraft, op

can you point me to a server with like a handful of cool chill dudes with no crazy bullshit mods just good solid utilitarian ones no okay thought not.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

can you point me to a server with like a handful of cool chill dudes with no crazy bullshit mods just good solid utilitarian ones no okay thought not.

There's a lot of them, actually, but the best ones are just you and five friends making a server and playing with WorldEdit, WorldGuard, and naught else

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Kylra posted:

Terraria turned out to be pretty fun.

terraria is great, and i don't understand all the bitching about the patches it's had over the last year.

when the moon update comes out i'm probably gonna dive in for another dozen hours

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

These games are better with friends or other people who like similar ideas on how to make something screwy in a broken landscape. Like in 7 days to Diarrhea

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
7 Days To Die is deffo the exception so far. It's pretty fun and actually gets updatea.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if don't starve counts but it's good

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

fronz posted:

it's Survival, and it's procedurally generated...

I guess it counts, except that it's a completed game that is very good, unlike the rest of the genre. Though it's still getting expansions and updates so I guess "complete" isn't accurate.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fronz posted:

it's also getting multiplayer, which should really help. ds was a cool game but you get kinda bored playing it by yourself.

i really should get back into it. i burnt out after playing a lot during the beta and after release so i havent checked out all the new content yet

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

At first I thought Early Access games were a neat concept, but now I realized it's a basically a scam. You're basically paying them to beta test, and by the time the game gets fully released, you're already sick of playing it, and who knows when it'll get fully released.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Starhawk64 posted:

At first I thought Early Access games were a neat concept, but now I realized it's a basically a scam. You're basically paying them to beta test, and by the time the game gets fully released, you're already sick of playing it, and who knows when it'll get fully released.

yeah basically. it's really easy to burn out early in the alpha/beta stages. I've avoided grim dawn though I own because I just want to play it once it's actually complete. I stupidly played starbound and man what a lovely beta. i'm not even interested in playing it at launch now--that's how bad and boring it was.

It's also like this as a developer. you get real sick fast of trying every little change and cataloging every bug that comes up, ad nausea and all you ever see is how much further you need to go. hell, the only thing I ever did development for was a dumb custom map called Squadron TD on sc2 and I didn't want to even play it after awhile and felt relieved when I stopped.

It's not surprising that most of the EA developers also have limited full development experience yet have ton of initial vision and ambitions. And that comes crashing down when they burn out of the development process and see how much more its gunna cost and take in shear man hours to even come close to their initial ambitions.. so of course they take the money, quit and give up the gently caress up and then go on a long duration to backpack around europe and crash in italy for a few months to start another EA game a year later.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 1, 2014

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Cool idea to not burn out on a game don't play it all the time.

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

apparently people really don't understand what early access/alpha/beta period are or are themselves idiots with no self control

Dec 26, 2012

Sizup posted:

apparently people really don't understand what early access/alpha/beta period are or are themselves idiots with no self control

to be fair the definitions of alpha and beta have been stretched as far as they will go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Sizup posted:

This is part of it, but there are a lot of scammers taking advantage of Early Access right now.

• Locked thread